Why Can't Daenerys Have Children?

Iron Mother

12 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Well GRRM made the distinction that his dragons look like Danys in show. I'd be that kinda dragon. I think they look better anyway. I'd be just a legless fireworm...

Yeah I mean there's technical classification of different types of creatures:

dragons have 4 legs and wings 

wyverns have 2 legs and wings 

lindwyrms have 2 front legs

drakes are smaller wyverns

wyrms ate just...wyrms

not sure who did that classification though or how it came to be

6 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

My point about the quote was if it was from the book the OP asked for us NOT to include book answers. She wanted to know when and where in show canon did Dany get this information.

I thought it was Mirri in the show.... but maybe it's just what Dany believes? 

6 minutes ago, Pandean said:

Yeah I mean there's technical classification of different types of creatures:

dragons have 4 legs and wings 

wyverns have 2 legs and wings 

lindwyrms have 2 front legs

drakes are smaller wyverns

wyrms ate just...wyrms

I don't either which is why I don't follow those guidelines. I've seen these creatures portrayed many different ways. I think it depends on the artist. How they intend for their creature to look.

45 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

Daenerys/

So it's never. She cannot have a baby. But I didn't understand what Tyrion meant about succession when he mentioned "Night's Watch has one method" and also Ironborn's method. Does he mean the method when you choose the commander by voting? And what is the Ironborn method?

Yeah, he's kinda arguing democracy here. The Ironborn have this real-world-Sparta type of democracy. Who's people cry the loadest wins.

Just now, The Bastard of Summer said:

I don't either which is why I don't follow those guidelines. I've seen these creatures portrayed many different ways. I think it depends on the artist. How they intend for their creature to look.

Definitely. Maybe it's based on mythos? Idk.

i just know when I was doing research for the first book in my series trying to find the counterpart for Scandinavian dragons in the Edda and Sagas most specified lindwyrms and how they were...

either way 

incest kingdom

1 minute ago, Pandean said:

Most of those distinctions were invented for Dungeons & Dragons in the 1970s-90s, and I'll bet that classification comes out of some recentish edition of D&D.

The one exception is wyvern vs. dragon meaning 2 vs. 4 legs. That comes from the Kings of Arms surveys of British heraldry that began in 1530. About a decade in, one of the heralds started "correcting" coats of arms to use "wyvern" only for 2 legs, and after a while everyone else followed suit, so almost all British coats of arms make that distinction. Anything before then (and still today, in languages other than English, Scots Gaelic, Welsh, and Irish), the two are used pretty much interchangeably. If there is a distinction, it's more often that wyverns are lizard-like instead of snake-like, or cold-based instead of fire-based, or associated with the people to the north, than anything to do with number of legs.

It's not explained not even in the books. Mirri says that prophecy or curse and Daenerys believes it for a reason. However in book 5 when Daenerys tries to make it to Meereen on foot from Drogon's den / nest, she eat some wierd berries and then suffers from something that looks like miscarriage and she even doesn't remember clearly the last time she had her menses. So it seems that she is still capable of conceiving a child but she has yet to give birth to a living child.

Archived