Where was the Dragonglass... ?

Yukle

Jon spent ages mining obsidian.

He then went beyond the Wall with... none of it. Nice one. Maybe obsidian arrows fired from a great distance would work better than steel swords at close range (Longclaw notwithstanding, which he also tried to give away lest he have one sound military strategy).

In fact Jorah has a dragonglass dagger. But yeah, that's it. As if one of the reasons why Jon went to see Dany wasn't the very same obsidian. And then they just forget about it.  The fact that they don't even have one single person (considering that they have a few unnamed characters destined to be killed, which they were, with them) with bow is ridiculous imo. Wildlings clearly know bows, Ygritte had one. One bow and a lot of obsidian arrows could do wonders when they were standing on the isle with tons of potential targets around.

I used to believe that dragonglass(obsidian) and dragonsteel(valyrian steel) could only kill white walker not wights. Wight could be only killed by fire...

Maybe I just misunderstood all this and I was wrong the whole time..

5 minutes ago, Styl7 said:

I used to believe that dragonglass(obsidian) and dragonsteel(valyrian steel) could only kill white walker not wights. Wight could be only killed by fire...

I don't think so I think your original theory is correct but I also think the show is being inconsistent as hell.  The obsidian didn't seem to do as much damage wights at times, it killed the polar bear but there were wights who came back after being struck by obsidian weapons and we know they decimate actual white walkers. 

One more thing.  Jon has to be frustrated.  How many times does he have to kill the same white walker?  Unless Kraster had triplets.  Because I think Sam and Jon have killed the same one 3 times.  Or at least the dude looks exactly like the one that keeps dying.  

30 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I don't think so I think your original theory is correct but I also think the show is being inconsistent as hell.  The obsidian didn't seem to do as much damage wights at times, it killed the polar bear but there were wights who came back after being struck by obsidian weapons and we know they decimate actual white walkers. 

One more thing.  Jon has to be frustrated.  How many times does he have to kill the same white walker?  Unless Kraster had triplets.  Because I think Sam and Jon have killed the same one 3 times.  Or at least the dude looks exactly like the one that keeps dying.  

I have just read in other threads that D&D admitted that the changed the facts that wights could only be killed by fire

I can't disagree since they really reminded me the same person.. But I I'll check the rest too..

39 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

This, 

Back in season 1 the only way to kill a wight was with fire and now in S7ep2, Jon says both dragonglass and fire can kill wights. So somewhere in them seasons the principle has changed.

Upon further inspection, Jorah had dragonglass daggers, Tormund had a dragonglass axe, even the red shirts had dragonglass spears. 

The use of these weapons help justify the fact of why they survived so long.

Yeah I cant remeber where I see it but there was a picture of the NK and 3 identical WW behind him. 

48 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I actually thought the WWs in this episode looked a little different than Puddles, it was the one thing I was pleasantly surprised by that the show did in this otherwise awful episode.

1 hour ago, Sir Dingleberry said:

I don't like how the dragonglass weapons just decimated the Wights whenever they got touched (ie hound hits with hammer, gets right back up, but Tormund can hit a wight in the stomach with his axe and the wights dead).  Also, why are the wights incapable of doing anything defensive?

Because they have no brains...

1 hour ago, Styl7 said:

That's the books.  Valyrian steel and obsidian for the walkers.  Normal weapons and fire for the wights. Normal weapons don't necessarily "kill" them but can damage their bodies enough to render them harmless. 

D&D have admitted that they changed it for the show.  For reasons apparently. 

1 hour ago, Styl7 said:

You're not completely wrong because it is like this in the books. In book 2, Sam kills a WW with a dragonglass dagger but when he later tries to a wight with the very same dagger, the dagger shatters and does no harm to the wight.

I honestly don't know how Jon suddenly came to the conclusion that wights are killable by dragonglass because imo during the whole TV series there was no wight killed by it.

3 hours ago, Yukle said:

Jon spent ages mining obsidian.

He then went beyond the Wall with... none of it. Nice one. Maybe obsidian arrows fired from a great distance would work better than steel swords at close range (Longclaw notwithstanding, which he also tried to give away lest he have one sound military strategy).

It was on Thormond's "axe".  Jorah was using it (daggers).  The Hound was using it (switched from hammer to daggers).  Two guys were using flaming swords.  Jon was using a valyrian steel sword.

The dragonglass was there.

I'll be totally honest, I never noticed. I saw them with steel weapons.

If it's the case, how come they harmed the wight-bear? There's never been any indication that obsidian harms the wights any more than normal rocks would. It's fatal to the Others themselves, but that's it.

Or, is my memory off and that's only the books?

Archived