Siding with the Night King

Lerxst

I still can't see this thread title without imagining a DIY show called Siding with the Night King.

Aluminum siding is a very durable finish, especially good in snowy climates. And believe me, even if you aren't worried about that yet, you will be soon. So I'm going to show you how to install it on you house. First, let me introduce my workers—that's a wight, that's another wight, and that's another wight. You don't really need 4 people to install siding, it's a job you can do on your own, but it does go faster with a few friends bribed with a 6-pack or raised from the dead. Now, the first thing you want to do…

On 8/21/2017 at 6:28 PM, Bran the Shipper said:

I think the Night King realized that Drogon is a spoiled mama's boy and that Viserion is a sweetheart.  And given the choice between the two he'd prefer Viserion for his mount.  I can't blame him, I'd choose Viserion over Drogon as well. 

Maybe you are onto something.  Maybe Drogon couldn't be his target because he wants to ride the wight dragon/ice dragon, and Drogon already has a dragonrider.  Maybe that bond extends beyond death and cannot be negated even after resurrection.  Its stupid, but maybe less stupid than him not aiming for the stationary target with all the heroes climbed on board that is an easier distance and right in front of him for minutes.

When the undead ice zombie is the most sensible character, you know the writing has gone downhill.

In any sense, I do sometimes agree. 

It would be interesting to see the WW perspective. Are they mindless evil or is there a reason they do what they do? Do they attack living things for the hell of it or is there a reason? Do they think? If they do think do they have logical reasons for the actions they commit?

I actually believe the writers can somehow still ruin the NK with sub par dialogue.

But he's far from being consistent and straightforward.

Just look at a map of Westeros. He was at the Fist of the First Men. Then, at Hardhome. Then, at the 3 Eyed Raven's cave. Now, he's near Eastwatch.

So, is it his plan to spiral his way south? Or is he angling towards the old "zigzaging the hell out of the living" trick?

On 8/21/2017 at 9:24 PM, Theon_is_Azor said:

I think the character who is most appealing in my eyes is the Hound. He has shown the most growth of all of them to me. He has gone from some marauding beast / almost unparalleled killing machine, to a man of God who, while still crass and crude, has a genuinely empathetic and principled compass. 

But as I said in another thread, the NK was created to keep man from killing the children of the forest. They, despite their flaws (namely killing anyone in sight with a pulse), serve to balance the recklessness of man. Something that is typified in nearly every one of our South of the Wall Heroes...And villains.

Morality is subjective. The night king seems to be evil, but he genuinely sees MAN as a danger. 

My biggest fear is that they have the new "badass" Arya kill him to finish her list. He has made allot of progress and I like his character also. If they have him grovelling or crying to Arya as she stands over him for the kill, I will seriously damage my television. :) 

On 21/08/2017 at 6:15 PM, Armand Gargalen said:

I was on his team until this episode, when he showed to be an arrogant arse by not throwing the spear at Viseryon instead of Drogon. He could have finished the war then and there, thus sparing many of his wights´ unlives. But no, he had to show off his marksmanship

So I am done with him as well, I am not supporting anyone anymore. 

Yep, he insulted our intelligence several times in the last episode. Why bother trying to besiege a handful of people? Why not raise up Thoros and have him claw Jon's eyes out?

On 22/08/2017 at 2:26 AM, falcotron said:

I still can't see this thread title without imagining a DIY show called Siding with the Night King.

Aluminum siding is a very durable finish, especially good in snowy climates. And believe me, even if you aren't worried about that yet, you will be soon. So I'm going to show you how to install it on you house. First, let me introduce my workers—that's a wight, that's another wight, and that's another wight. You don't really need 4 people to install siding, it's a job you can do on your own, but it does go faster with a few friends bribed with a 6-pack or raised from the dead. Now, the first thing you want to do…

Like this stuff? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire#Aluminium-polyethylene_cladding

7 hours ago, Pandean said:

When the undead ice zombie is the most sensible character, you know the writing has gone downhill.

In any sense, I do sometimes agree. 

It would be interesting to see the WW perspective. Are they mindless evil or is there a reason they do what they do? Do they attack living things for the hell of it or is there a reason? Do they think? If they do think do they have logical reasons for the actions they commit?

Sensible and, I may say, most sensitive. 

Now seriously, I think there is more than meet the eye with the Others in the books, but I highly doubt we will get anything at all from the show

1 hour ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

I think my title shows my team affeliation. 

However, I'm happy to see that so many want to join our cause.

Come to the cold side - we have ice cream :P 

If there is also iced coffee and air conditioning, count me in.

1 hour ago, Holly Macaroni said:

I actually believe the writers can somehow still ruin the NK with sub par dialogue.

But he's far from being consistent and straightforward.

Just look at a map of Westeros. He was at the Fist of the First Men. Then, at Hardhome. Then, at the 3 Eyed Raven's cave. Now, he's near Eastwatch.

So, is it his plan to spiral his way south? Or is he angling towards the old "zigzaging the hell out of the living" trick?

I am starting to think that the NK and the AoD could not really go through the Wall and were just biding their time and scaring the shit out of the wildlings and the Watch until a moron brought them a dragon.

40 minutes ago, Ordee said:

My biggest fear is that they have the new "badass" Arya kill him to finish her list. He has made allot of progress and I like his character also. If they have him grovelling or crying to Arya as she stands over him for the kill, I will seriously damage my television. :) 

I am surprised that the "Arya is the NK"  theory has not been started yet

28 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

Yep, he insulted our intelligence several times in the last episode. Why bother trying to besiege a handful of people? Why not raise up Thoros and have him claw Jon's eyes out?

Because the Night King is wiser than you think. He let Jon and buddies live, because He is more than happy to have such a moron leading the opposing side during the war. 

The NK is like one of those video gamers who feels compelled to collect every single point and get all the achievements before moving on to the next level. In this case, the points are all the corpses that can be possibly be collected north of the Wall.

Collect all the corpses - the Master Sweeper achievement

Hit the Night's Watch at the Fist - the Feather Plucker achievement

Hit the wildlings at Hardhome and raise more wights - the Messiah achievement 

Attack the cave - the No Place to Hide achievement; and kill the TEV - the This Is My House! achievement

Kill a dragon - the Mario achievement

47 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The NK is like one of those video gamers who feels compelled to collect every single point and get all the achievements before moving on to the next level. In this case, the points are all the corpses that can be possibly be collected north of the Wall.

Collect all the corpses - the Master Sweeper achievement

Hit the Night's Watch at the Fist - the Feather Plucker achievement

Hit the wildlings at Hardhome and raise more wights - the Messiah achievement 

Attack the cave - the No Place to Hide achievement; and kill the TEV - the This Is My House! achievement

Kill a dragon - the Mario achievement

53 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

Because the Night King is wiser than you think. He let Jon and buddies live, because He is more than happy to have such a moron leading the opposing side during the war. 

This is why I still watch the show, hilarious!!

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Gold!

I side with him. I was intrigued by the fallible heros stories originally, but hte past 3 seasons have made me despise the living. my only qualm is with the killing and resurrecting of the animals. what'd they ever do to king puddles? 

2 hours ago, Holly Macaroni said:

And yet, whenever we see him and his cronies, they move at a leisurely pace...

I think that D&D made a HUGE mistake in introducing the Night King in the first place, then giving him extraordinary powers.  They should have stuck to the way the White Walkers and Wights appeared in the early seasons (ie faithful to what GRRM created in the books).  What D&D have produced instead is the kind of entertainment I usually avoid because I find it ridiculous (eg The Mummy franchise and similar works).

I think I am ready to expose the Night King´s Master Plan Theory. It may seem a little bit convoluted at first, but bear with me, because this is the only way to explain what we are witnessing at the show.

It all starts around 8k years ago, after the original Long Night, when Bran the Builder built the Wall with the help of the Children of the Forest, who imbibed it with ancient Magic to stop the Night King and his minions for ever crossing or going over it. 

Those were dark and bitter times but the Night King did not despair. He retreat to the Lands of Always Winter and started plotting his return. Then one day, while he was seeing the future through a dream, He realized there was a way to break the CotF´s Magic. It involved taking control of  a very powerful weapon,one which could easily destroy Him and His meager army for ever, but it was His People´s only chance, and He was willing to take the risk.

Millennia came and went, and with them, so the dragons. The Night King craved for one, but he knew no human would be stupid enough to let Him easily steal one, so He waited and waited, for He knew that one day, from the line of Bran the Builder a suitable human would be born.

Thus, when Jon Targaryen, AKA, Jon Snow, was born somewhere Beyond the Wall, he knew he was The Moron Who Was Promised, a child of the Stark bloodline who was able to ride dragon. He then set his plan into motion.

To start with, and given TMWWP needed time to grow up, he begun by contacting Craster to get his babies and increase His number of White Walkers. He also started harassing the wildlings to freak them out a little bit and start creating a massive wight army.

There was a problem, though. Even with a bigger army of undead, there were whole Seven human Kingdoms beyond the Wall, and they stood together under a king. In order to divide them he needed a human agent, but His powers can not cross the Wall. Luckily, an opportunity presented himself when a man called Tyrion, a relative of the human queen, had a wee down the Wall, thus allowing the Night King to establish telepathic control and hold the little man as a thrall.

While his human agent created chaos Beyond the Wall by letting himself be captured by the Moron´s stepmother, he increased the attacks on the wildlings, thus forcing Mance Ryder to attack the Night Watch. He also led a direct attack on the Watch itself, in order to kill or discredit its able Lord Commander, as he knew TMWWP had a chance as his successor, and, in any case, he would start to freak out about the Army of the Dead, hellbent on the destruction of all human life.

Tyrion proved to be an excellent minion. After seeding the War of the Five Kings, he was able to stop a fire worshiper from winning it (using, in a masterful strike of irony, fire). When the war was about to finish, he killed the quite competent king´s grandfather, who would have been a formidable adversary, and finally. And after that, he infiltrated the Dragon Queen´s court and brown nosed his way up to become Hand of the Queen.

When the Queen invaded Westeros with her dragons the Night King ruthlessly started to manipulate her through His minion, giving her awful advice that prevented her for winning the war in two days, not just once, but twice. 

Finally, and once TMWWP was at the Dragon Queen´s side, the Night King made his final move: suggest a dumb quest to capture a wight, encourage TMWWP to join and subtly point out to the Dragon Queen how cute he is. 

We know what happens next: the trap works as clockwork andthe Night King makes a mummer´s show of trying to kill TMWWP (that was really hard, look how many times the idiot needs to be saved by Deus ex Machina, good thing the NK had old good Benjen as a thrall as well).

Now He finally has the weapon to destroy the Wall, Behold His power, because Winter is Coming.

3 hours ago, Holly Macaroni said:

D&D said that he doesn't speak and that they don't think they'll ever write dialogue for him: http://deadline.com/2016/06/game-of-thrones-season-6-finale-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-hbo-1201780242/

Of course they could just change that when they want to. Wouldn't be the first time. 

2 hours ago, Armand Gargalen said:

If there is also iced coffee and air conditioning, count me in.

You won't need air conditioning it will be cold enough. Regarding that iced coffee. We just imported giagantic chains from...somewhere I'm sure we can get you some coffee.

22 minutes ago, Armand Gargalen said:

I think I am ready to expose the Night King´s Master Plan Theory. It may seem a little bit convoluted at first, but bear with me, because this is the only way to explain what we are witnessing at the show.

It all starts around 8k years ago, after the original Long Night, when Bran the Builder built the Wall with the help of the Children of the Forest, who imbibed it with ancient Magic to stop the Night King and his minions for ever crossing or going over it. 

Those were dark and bitter times but the Night King did not despair. He retreat to the Lands of Always Winter and started plotting his return. Then one day, while he was seeing the future through a dream, He realized there was a way to break the CotF´s Magic. It involved taking control of  a very powerful weapon,one which could easily destroy Him and His meager army for ever, but it was His People´s only chance, and He was willing to take the risk.

Millennia came and went, and with them, so the dragons. The Night King craved for one, but he knew no human would be stupid enough to let Him easily steal one, so He waited and waited, for He knew that one day, from the line of Bran the Builder a suitable human would be born.

Thus, when Jon Targaryen, AKA, Jon Snow, was born somewhere Beyond the Wall, he knew he was The Moron Who Was Promised, a child of the Stark bloodline who was able to ride dragon. He then set his plan into motion.

To start with, and given TMWWP needed time to grow up, he begun by contacting Craster to get his babies and increase His number of White Walkers. He also started harassing the wildlings to freak them out a little bit and start creating a massive wight army.

There was a problem, though. Even with a bigger army of undead, there were whole Seven human Kingdoms beyond the Wall, and they stood together under a king. In order to divide them he needed a human agent, but His powers can not cross the Wall. Luckily, an opportunity presented himself when a man called Tyrion, a relative of the human queen, had a wee down the Wall, thus allowing the Night King to establish telepathic control and hold the little man as a thrall.

While his human agent created chaos Beyond the Wall by letting himself be captured by the Moron´s stepmother, he increased the attacks on the wildlings, thus forcing Mance Ryder to attack the Night Watch. He also led a direct attack on the Watch itself, in order to kill or discredit its able Lord Commander, as he knew TMWWP had a chance as his successor, and, in any case, he would start to freak out about the Army of the Dead, hellbent on the destruction of all human life.

Tyrion proved to be an excellent minion. After seeding the War of the Five Kings, he was able to stop a fire worshiper from winning it (using, in a masterful strike of irony, fire). When the war was about to finish, he killed the quite competent king´s grandfather, who would have been a formidable adversary, and finally. And after that, he infiltrated the Dragon Queen´s court and brown nosed his way up to become Hand of the Queen.

When the Queen invaded Westeros with her dragons the Night King ruthlessly started to manipulate her through His minion, giving her awful advice that prevented her for winning the war in two days, not just once, but twice. 

Finally, and once TMWWP was at the Dragon Queen´s side, the Night King made his final move: suggest a dumb quest to capture a wight, encourage TMWWP to join and subtly point out to the Dragon Queen how cute he is. 

We know what happens next: the trap works as clockwork andthe Night King makes a mummer´s show of trying to kill TMWWP (that was really hard, look how many times the idiot needs to be saved by Deus ex Machina, good thing the NK had old good Benjen as a thrall as well).

Now He finally has the weapon to destroy the Wall, Behold His power, because Winter is Coming.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Posts like these remind me why I love this board so much

5 hours ago, Queen of Procrastination said:
6 hours ago, Armand Gargalen said:

This is now an all-time favorite of mine on these boards.

6 hours ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

D&D said that he doesn't speak and that they don't think they'll ever write dialogue for him: http://deadline.com/2016/06/game-of-thrones-season-6-finale-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-hbo-1201780242/

Of course they could just change that when they want to. Wouldn't be the first time. 

You won't need air conditioning it will be cold enough. Regarding that iced coffee. We just imported giagantic chains from...somewhere I'm sure we can get you some coffee.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Posts like these remind me why I love this board so much

18 minutes ago, TheMachine said:

This is now an all-time favorite of mine on these boards.

Thank you for your kind feed back. And don´t forget to praise the Night King, Rightful Lord of the Seven Kingdoms Beyond the Wall.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:24 PM, Theon_is_Azor said:

I think the character who is most appealing in my eyes is the Hound. He has shown the most growth of all of them to me. He has gone from some marauding beast / almost unparalleled killing machine, to a man of God who, while still crass and crude, has a genuinely empathetic and principled compass. 

But as I said in another thread, the NK was created to keep man from killing the children of the forest. They, despite their flaws (namely killing anyone in sight with a pulse), serve to balance the recklessness of man. Something that is typified in nearly every one of our South of the Wall Heroes...And villains.

Morality is subjective. The night king seems to be evil, but he genuinely sees MAN as a danger. 

Well they certainly showed us how betrayal works by killing the children. Cersei could take lessons.

Archived