Jon Snow's 12 companions

fire&blood

2 hours ago, Cron said:

Speaking of Old Nan stories, I wonder if we'll ever see giant ice spiders.  Or did we already, and I forgot?  I don't think we've seen them, but that would be classic stuff.

I can't remember whether Old Nan mentioned them on the show. I know her story about wights to Bran was shorter on the show, but I can't remember if they cut that part out. And the other book mentions (which I think they left in, but I'm not sure?) were all by Sam, which doesn't give them the same plausibility as Nan.

Although I think I remember one of the wildling chiefs saying that the legends about dragonglass killing walkers are as silly as the legends about walkers riding giant ice spiders, which is interesting, because it seems to imply that giant ice spiders aren't silly after all, and if they added that non-book scene to the show, maybe it means they are planning on ice spiders for next season after all?

21 hours ago, btfu806 said:

So I had to watch the end of the episode again, episode 5, to prove you wrong. And well, touche, I am wrong. They are hidden in the back walking out really slowly. Not walking with the main group of seven. Good catch, my bad.

Thanks for the explanation. When the bear! the bear! was attacking people I kept wondering where it was getting people to kill from. I thought there were about six or seven of them out there and knew that included Jon, the Hound, Beric, Thoros, Gendry and Tormund, so didn't get how we could see so many mauled redshirts.

10 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Isn't he the guy that goes "Petyreeeeeeeeh" when speaking about Littlefinger?

Yes!!!!!! and he drives me crazy! Just say Peter his name is fucking Peter! And he doesn't say the Eyrie correctly either. I just cant! :bang:

13 hours ago, Cron said:

Oh, they have a guy on audio who does female voices???  I wonder why they don't at least get two or three speakers to do various voices, maybe two guys and two girls.

I don't listen to audio books, and I didn't know that.

Speaking of Old Nan stories, I wonder if we'll ever see giant ice spiders.  Or did we already, and I forgot?  I don't think we've seen them, but that would be classic stuff.

I also sometimes wonder if we'll one day learn that the world is really just they eye of a giant, as I seem to recall Old Nan told Robb. Wouldn't THAT be bizarre??   And why not?  Far as I know, everything else Old Nan says was true...

Yeah, it makes no sense to me why they can't just have him and a female because it's just soooo bad. And he makes them all sound so whiny and miserable. I used to drive far for work (L.A. traffic will get to you), so I'd pop in the audiobooks but I quickly got annoyed and stopped listening.

We haven't seen any ice spiders but she does mention them when talking to Bran....I just keep forgetting which was mentioned in show vs. book. It would've been so awesome to see that, I hope they do.

Are you speaking of Makumba? :) 

12 hours ago, falcotron said:

I can't remember whether Old Nan mentioned them on the show. I know her story about wights to Bran was shorter on the show, but I can't remember if they cut that part out. And the other book mentions (which I think they left in, but I'm not sure?) were all by Sam, which doesn't give them the same plausibility as Nan.

Although I think I remember one of the wildling chiefs saying that the legends about dragonglass killing walkers are as silly as the legends about walkers riding giant ice spiders, which is interesting, because it seems to imply that giant ice spiders aren't silly after all, and if they added that non-book scene to the show, maybe it means they are planning on ice spiders for next season after all?

I'm pretty confident Old Nan mentioned ice spiders in the show.

Pretty sure she said they were "as big as hounds."

1 hour ago, fire&blood said:

I used to drive far for work (L.A. traffic will get to you), so I'd pop in the audiobooks but I quickly got annoyed and stopped listening.

We haven't seen any ice spiders but she does mention them when talking to Bran....I just keep forgetting which was mentioned in show vs. book. It would've been so awesome to see that, I hope they do.

I too have a hard time forgetting show vs. book for background stuff. But I did a bit of searching. You were right about Old Nan, I was right about the wildlings, and I was wrong about Sam, and the result is: I think D&D may be planning to give us ice spiders after all.

They left Nan's story about ice spiders in, and she's usually right… but that was way back in S1, and they're not planning that far ahead, so that may prove anything.

But in S5, they cut a book scene about Sam finding mention of ice spiders in a book of dubious value, and invented a new scene where the wildlings are talking and Loboda scoffs and says the legends that dragonglass can kill walkers are as ridiculous as the legends that walkers ride giant ice spiders, which means ice spiders aren't ridiculous at all.

By the way, how could you have driven far for work in LA traffic? When I lived there, I only worked a few miles away, and I rode a scooter to whiteline through the traffic, and it still took me forever. If you were going a long distance, and in a car, you must be just getting home from your last day of work a few years ago…

39 minutes ago, falcotron said:

I too have a hard time forgetting show vs. book for background stuff. But I did a bit of searching. You were right about Old Nan, I was right about the wildlings, and I was wrong about Sam, and the result is: I think D&D may be planning to give us ice spiders after all.

They left Nan's story about ice spiders in, and she's usually right… but that was way back in S1, and they're not planning that far ahead, so that may prove anything.

But in S5, they cut a book scene about Sam finding mention of ice spiders in a book of dubious value, and invented a new scene where the wildlings are talking and Loboda scoffs and says the legends that dragonglass can kill walkers are as ridiculous as the legends that walkers ride giant ice spiders, which means ice spiders aren't ridiculous at all.

By the way, how could you have driven far for work in LA traffic? When I lived there, I only worked a few miles away, and I rode a scooter to whiteline through the traffic, and it still took me forever. If you were going a long distance, and in a car, you must be just getting home from your last day of work a few years ago…

Yeah, that's why I'm constantly re-reading the books and avoiding watching old seasons because I keep tangling them up and GRRM keeps seducing us with the idea of TWOW being released in 2018 so I want it to be fresh in my head. 

I really do hope we see more of what Old Nan mentioned, but you're right...casual show watches wouldn't remember and I don't think D&D will bother.

As for LA traffic - I used to live 20 miles from work so I would commute over 2.5 hours total so I would have more time to "listen" to my books than read them. Now I live 5 miles away and take the subway...I get to work in 20 min tops and I get to physically hold my book and read it on the way. Nothing beats the smell of an actual book in your hand, am I right?

On 8/21/2017 at 1:56 PM, fire&blood said:

Did anyone else notice that Jon Snow went beyond the Wall with a dozen companions? Was this on purpose to hint at the Last Hero and Old Nan's tale from Season 1? I kept trying to count them when they panned out the shot because at the end of episode 5 it looks like it's just the 7 of them that we know by name, and then the start of episode 6 they had tacked on a few extras (obviously those were going to be killed off) but what do you guys think? Coincidence or Easter egg for readers?

NK = pact/truce with WWs = 13th member of the last hero's group = 13th lord commander = greenseer

Does Jon Snow need to replace him? kill him? Bran?  I think your point is relevant.

13 minutes ago, ssls6 said:

NK = pact/truce with WWs = 13th member of the last hero's group = 13th lord commander = greenseer

Does Jon Snow need to replace him? kill him? Bran?  I think your point is relevant.

Oooh does the show mention he was the 13th Lord Commander? I feel like Sam said that to Jon Snow once.  When they were talking about him becoming the 996th LC or something...but I could be mixing book and show again. I suck with that.

God I really hope Bran isn't the NK and Jon needs to kill him. I've been seeing that everywhere lately.

6 hours ago, fire&blood said:

Yeah, it makes no sense to me why they can't just have him and a female because it's just soooo bad. And he makes them all sound so whiny and miserable. I used to drive far for work (L.A. traffic will get to you), so I'd pop in the audiobooks but I quickly got annoyed and stopped listening.

Now, how would you feel if you found out I am that guy?  HAR!!  (just kidding, I'm not.)

If they don't do it, I think that will be pretty weak.

Not sure.  What is Makumba?  Never heard of that before.  (Or have I?  Is that something from ASOIAF I forgot?)

4 hours ago, fire&blood said:

Oooh does the show mention he was the 13th Lord Commander? I feel like Sam said that to Jon Snow once.  When they were talking about him becoming the 996th LC or something...but I could be mixing book and show again. I suck with that.

God I really hope Bran isn't the NK and Jon needs to kill him. I've been seeing that everywhere lately.

Jon is the 998th LC, same as in the books.

Night's King was, I'm pretty sure, never mentioned in the show at all, only the DVD extras. It's the one on the history of the Watch, which I think came with S2. IIRC, they never say he was the 13th LC, even though they mention that he and his corpse queen ruled for 13 years.

I'm pretty sure the show isn't going to do anything with Night's King, because of the confusion it would cause with the Night King, who's a completely different thing.

5 hours ago, ssls6 said:

Where does most of this come from?

I don't remember anything in the books about Night's King being a companion of the Last Hero, or a greenseer.

Here's what we do know about him:

• He's the 13th LC.
  • He married a "corpse queen", who legendarily had pale skin, blue eyes, and skin as cold as ice, but the Maesters think she was just a normal woman, a daughter of the Barrow King.
  • He and his queen ruled from the Nightfort for 13 years, until he was defeated by Bran the Breaker and Joramun working together.
  • He committed some kind of atrocities, legendarily involving sacrifices to the Others and/or to bring the Others back, although the Maesters doubt that part.
  • All records of him were destroyed.
  • Ever since, the Watch isn't allowed to have on the south sides of their castles.
  • According to Old Nan, he was a Stark, named Brandon, and a younger brother of the King.

11 hours ago, fire&blood said:

Yes!!!!!! and he drives me crazy! Just say Peter his name is fucking Peter! And he doesn't say the Eyrie correctly either. I just cant! :bang:

Yeah, or he could have gone with "Peet-ah" or something slightly different, but the way he does it is just ridiculous.

That nearly destroyed the whole experience for me, not only do I absolutely loathe the character of Littlefinger (book and show both), the pronunciation of his name just had to be extra irksome in the audio book, too. Damn Littlefinger, he ruins everything!

I guess I just see strange parallels between the last hero and NK.

Marriage = pack

13 = last hero + 12 companions, 13th LC, 13 year rule, Blood sacrifices, Bran's vision of blood sacrifices at Winterfell,with a woman white as snow, was a Stark, can see Bran and interact during his vision quest, .....I think some of the histories and tales have been perverted with time.

I do think the NK planned to get a Dragon for some purpose and his purpose is not just random killing.

21 hours ago, Cron said:

Now, how would you feel if you found out I am that guy?  HAR!!  (just kidding, I'm not.)

If they don't do it, I think that will be pretty weak.

Not sure.  What is Makumba?  Never heard of that before.  (Or have I?  Is that something from ASOIAF I forgot?)

Robb says Old Nan said that we live inside the eye of a blue eyed giant named Makumba. :) 

16 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Yeah, or he could have gone with "Peet-ah" or something slightly different, but the way he does it is just ridiculous.

That nearly destroyed the whole experience for me, not only do I absolutely loathe the character of Littlefinger (book and show both), the pronunciation of his name just had to be extra irksome in the audio book, too. Damn Littlefinger, he ruins everything!

Yes, exactly! who the fuck is Pete-Tire. LF needs to die. Like 3 seasons ago.

17 minutes ago, fire&blood said:

Robb says Old Nan said that we live inside the eye of a blue eyed giant named Makumba. :) 

Ohhhhhhh, she gave the NAME???

Nice!!   I wonder if "Makumba" is Valyrian for "George R.R. Martin"????

HARRR!!!

10 hours ago, ssls6 said:

I guess I just see strange parallels between the last hero and NK.

Marriage = pack

13 = last hero + 12 companions, 13th LC, 13 year rule, Blood sacrifices, Bran's vision of blood sacrifices at Winterfell,with a woman white as snow, was a Stark, can see Bran and interact during his vision quest, .....I think some of the histories and tales have been perverted with time.

I do think the NK planned to get a Dragon for some purpose and his purpose is not just random killing.

Yes, I agree with the parallels. The show may not focus on the 13 part but I think us as readers can see the parallels. I do think that the NK has the ability to greensee now (maybe touching Bran gave him some kind of transfer of powers) and that's why he waited until Dany and Dragons came to the rescue.  Why else did they have 3 javelin spears or whatever at the ready.

Archived