Jon Snow's 12 companions

fire&blood

5 minutes ago, Cron said:

Ohhhhhhh, she gave the NAME???

Nice!!   I wonder if "Madumba" is Valyrian for "George R.R. Martin"????

HARRR!!!

I love the HARRR!!! LOL! It's hard for me to forget any scenes that include Richard Madden. ;)

3 hours ago, Cron said:

Nice!!   I wonder if "Makumba" is Valyrian for "George R.R. Martin"????

It doesn't sound particularly Valyrian.

Are the writers into Latin dancing? I had a friend who used to DJ Latin dance clubs, and it seems like half the venues around the US and Europe are named Makumba. I think it comes from a Brazilian Portuguese word for music/dance magic or something like that (which presumably came from either a native Brazilian language or a Bantu language, because it doesn't sound any more Portuguese than Valyrian).

4 hours ago, fire&blood said:

I love the HARRR!!! LOL! It's hard for me to forget any scenes that include Richard Madden. ;)

Thanks!

I borrowed the "HAR!" from Tormund, who says it a lot in the books.

He and I have some things in common, so I'm glad it seems to please you.

Oh, got a crush on Robb, huh?  Well, you could do worse.  He did nearly everything right, and even Jon has admitted how Robb was better than him at just about everything growing up, and they were very close in age.

1 hour ago, falcotron said:

It doesn't sound particularly Valyrian.

Are the writers into Latin dancing? I had a friend who used to DJ Latin dance clubs, and it seems like half the venues around the US and Europe are named Makumba. I think it comes from a Brazilian Portuguese word for music/dance magic or something like that (which presumably came from either a native Brazilian language or a Bantu language, because it doesn't sound any more Portuguese than Valyrian).

Very interesting.

I wonder if it's in the books, or if it is just from the show?

Dunno, I didn't even remember that specific word in the show.

Maybe someone can answer this question.

1 hour ago, Cron said:

Very interesting.

I wonder if it's in the books, or if it is just from the show?

Dunno, I didn't even remember that specific word in the show.

Maybe someone can answer this question.

According to the GoT wikia, this story was invented for the show, and there's nothing comparable in the books.

Also, it's "Macumber", not "Makumba", at least according to the official closed captions. Which is not a Portuguese word or a Latin dance club, but is a Scottish surname from the Perth area (one of the anglicizations of MacComaidh), and occasionally a given name.

Anyway, the story can't be literally true, because the Maesters have evidence they live on a round world that circles its sun, just like in our world. The wiki points out that it could still be true that the whole universe is inside a giant's eye, but then the giant's eye wouldn't explain why the sky is blue, so that doesn't help.

And it's not a reference to GRRM, because GRRM's eyes aren't blue.

Also, unlike most Old Nan stories, this one was told to Robb. I can't find the SSM where GRRM said everyone should pay more attention to her because she knows what she's talking about, but did he by any chance specifically say we should pay more attention to her stories to Bran?

Umm. And how is Beric just lighting that sword with his gloves like that's not a thing? He puts it out with the same gloved hand too, so it ain't a pyrotechnic glove. 

There is 100% a joke that involves Beric's fiery gloves, Tormund's member, and Old Nan. I'm just not smart enough to think of it...

10 minutes ago, Joey Crows said:

Umm. And how is Beric just lighting that sword with his gloves like that's not a thing? He puts it out with the same gloved hand too, so it ain't a pyrotechnic glove. 

It's magic. Magic works through gloves.

Just like Tormund's member does. (I'm 100% sure there's still a much better joke there.)

2 minutes ago, falcotron said:

Just like Tormund's member does. (I'm 100% sure there's still a much better joke there.)

Ha! Every pebble contributes to the wall.

48 minutes ago, falcotron said:

According to the GoT wikia, this story was invented for the show, and there's nothing comparable in the books.

Also, it's "Macumber", not "Makumba", at least according to the official closed captions. Which is not a Portuguese word or a Latin dance club, but is a Scottish surname from the Perth area (one of the anglicizations of MacComaidh), and occasionally a given name.

Anyway, the story can't be literally true, because the Maesters have evidence they live on a round world that circles its sun, just like in our world. The wiki points out that it could still be true that the whole universe is inside a giant's eye, but then the giant's eye wouldn't explain why the sky is blue, so that doesn't help.

Also, unlike most Old Nan stories, this one was told to Robb. I can't find the SSM where GRRM said everyone should pay more attention to her because she knows what she's talking about, but did he by any chance specifically say we should pay more attention to her stories to Bran?

Thanks for the research, that's great stuff.

I hope @Fire & Blood sees this, I think she will be very interested in this information, too.

By the way, I always paid close attention to Old Nan's stories, and always assumed they were accurate.

P.S.  I was just kidding about Makumba being Valyrian for GRRM, but I've really enjoyed all the detailed information you've provided. You seem to have a real interest in words, which is cool.

3 hours ago, falcotron said:

Tormund's member is as long as Old Nan's bedtime stories. Like the one about Brandon the builder who raised his "work" 700 feet into the air.

Bah! I'm not there yet. No fiery glove.

Can someone hit us with an Old Nan, Beric's fiery glove, and Tormund joke?

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, falcotron said:

I was so close lol! Thank you for looking this up :) We can take some of what she says with a grain of salt, but she was right about the walkers, the children of the forest and their magic, the fact that there are giants (hopefully we see ice spiders)....so long as she isn't right about the part that the NK was a Stark, maybe a Brandon Stark who once slept in that very bed of Bran's.  I guess we shall soon see.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, Cron said:

Thanks for the research, that's great stuff.

I hope @Fire & Blood sees this, I think she will be very interested in this information, too.

By the way, I always paid close attention to Old Nan's stories, and always assumed they were accurate.

P.S.  I was just kidding about Makumba being Valyrian for GRRM, but I've really enjoyed all the detailed information you've provided. You seem to have a real interest in words, which is cool.

:cheers: to Old Nan!!!

3 hours ago, fire&blood said:

I was so close lol! Thank you for looking this up :) We can take some of what she says with a grain of salt, but she was right about the walkers, the children of the forest and their magic, the fact that there are giants (hopefully we see ice spiders)....so long as she isn't right about the part that the NK was a Stark, maybe a Brandon Stark who once slept in that very bed of Bran's.  I guess we shall soon see.

:cheers: to Old Nan!!!

HARR!!!  is she your favorite character?  If not, who is??

2 hours ago, Cron said:

HARR!!!  is she your favorite character?  If not, who is??

I'm biased towards House Stark....Arya is by far my all time fave (books and show). She's like a feminist icon :) It's hard to narrow down favorites, but her chapters were my favorite and Maisie is awesome on the show. I just wished I grew up with Old Nan telling me stories, for such a minor character she really stood out. Who's yours??

Archived