Journals, notebooks, bullet journaling etc.

Aderyn

On 2017/08/24 at 11:39 AM, Isis said:

Oh no. I just watched the video and I think bullet journalling (which I have weirdly not come across until today) is my kind of thing. Now I'll have to go out and buy more Moleskine notebooks oh noes*.

*I have a big problem with pens, markers, highlighters, post it notes, notebooks, diaries etc

I'm snickering.  Yes, you do sound like you'll be quite the bujo fiend.  I started earlier this year, but breaks in my routine throw me off it.  I'm really bad with keeping up routines, or feeling pressure to follow a schedule.  I started using it more as a habit tracker and mainly for making collections -- recipes, notes from articles I've read and want to distill, and development of my fiction writing skills, story ideas, etc.

I wanted to track mindfulness and came up with this bingo card.  Didn't really use it much, but it might give you ideas.

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I'm snickering.  Yes, you do sound like you'll be quite the bujo fiend.  I started earlier this year, but breaks in my routine throw me off it.  I'm really bad with keeping up routines, or feeling pressure to follow a schedule.  I started using it more as a habit tracker and mainly for making collections -- recipes, notes from articles I've read and want to distill, and development of my fiction writing skills, story ideas, etc.

I wanted to track mindfulness and came up with this bingo card.  Didn't really use it much, but it might give you ideas.

Yeah, I already ordered myself a nice new journal and some pens. :) EXCITE!

I am keen to do a bit of habit tracking actually and (finally) I really need to get with the mindfulness. I was meant to start meditation at the same time I started yoga (2.5 yrs ago). Whoops. Maybe I can get started before the end of the year though. 

But I really hope that the combination of reflection, organisation and a bit of doodling sounds right up my street. Fingers crossed.

I bought myself a rocketbook everlast notebook.  It works with an app and allows you to categorize your notes, scan them, send them to your preferred platform (I love OneNote), and organize.  I'm loving this.  The notebook is erasable and works with the Frixion erasable pens.  It's my new favorite thing.  

It's perfect for me because I use OneNote for meeting notes, phone calls, etc., and I have them organized according to category.  

20 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

@Elder Sister tell me about this Volt journal. 

Sorry - I just saw this!  Okay... the Volt journal.  I lurrrrrv it.  It's a crunchy, touchy feely approach to organization that works for me.  It combines journaling with short term/mid-range/long term planning.  I love this concept.    I'm going to give you some links.  Text me if you have questions - I live and breathe this thing.  Work, home, etc...it's all in there.  

https://inkandvolt.com/product/volt-planner/

This is my planner.  It says they're currently out of stock but it may be available on amazon.  

Here's the undated version that you can format with dates yourself.

https://inkandvolt.com/product/planner-notebook/

I keep a big store of notebooks.  I have to outsource my memory -- I have too much to keep track of and my mind is naturally better at patterns, reasons, conclusions and extrapolations than at actual memory retention.  I manually write lists of to-dos and ideas when I'm at work or at meetings.  If I'm traveling or at home I type them on my iPhone instead and transcribe them later.   The physical act of writing helps to reinforce memory and a beautiful blank page allows for expansive thinking.  I use my own technique for arranging the visual structure of an idea or a task and developing the details more naturally from that visual structure. I use whiteboards in most planning meetings and then have my people take a photo of the results to retain it.  I guess I'm just a visual thinker.  Bullet lists are good for basic stuff, with sub-bullets and other embellishments (everything is in shorthand anyway), but diagrams are needed as complexity or interconnections increase  

I never keep a journal of my thoughts, emotions or dreams.  While I enjoy reflective time for processing latent thoughts and emotions, and I even find it very helpful to mentally summarize a complex situation like a case study (makes the solution seem obvious), routinely maintaining a journal seems like navel-gazing or even solipsism.  I don't know why that crosses an imaginary line for me, I probably just internalized some cultural portrayal of journal-writing being the province of self-absorbed effetes.  

I caved and have started bullet journalling, you guys. I am trying to keep it low key and minimal so far, I don't want to go overboard with it early on. One question I have - has anyone truly gotten rid of their actual diary completely? I'm worried that I'll always have to carry both around with me.

On 9/8/2017 at 2:22 AM, Isis said:

I caved and have started bullet journalling, you guys. I am trying to keep it low key and minimal so far, I don't want to go overboard with it early on. One question I have - has anyone truly gotten rid of their actual diary completely? I'm worried that I'll always have to carry both around with me.

How is it working for you?  Do you find it cumbersome?  Please give details.  Am also curious about the diary/journaling...have you found a way to combine the two?  Are you considering this?

Sorry for all the questions...I take my planners/journals very seriously. :D

14 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

How is it working for you?  Do you find it cumbersome?  Please give details.  Am also curious about the diary/journaling...have you found a way to combine the two?  Are you considering this?

Sorry for all the questions...I take my planners/journals very seriously. :D

Ok, so I'm trying to keep it really low key for now, to stop it from beign too much of a chore. For now I have set up the all basic pages of the journal and I am using the daily log for my to-do-list. I quite like the fact that you don't need to cross stuff out each day and move it to the next day, you can just leave it where it is. The only other thing I have done is a habit tracker page, again I've kept it short, there are only five items on there. But they are things that matter to me and I am finding it helpful to track them.

I am also keeping the colours to a minimum for now. It's just black ink with green accents. I may think about getting into some hand-lettering in the future as that would be a practical use for doodling. But for now I don't want to set myself up for a fall.

In terms of journalling, I am not doing much of that yet. I guess the habit tracker counts though. I had a couple of bits of good news last week (in amongst a black cloud of negative stuff) so I just noted those in the daily log (I'm not logging negative stuff in there as I thik that defeats the object).

I plan to keep it going in a low key way for a couple of months before committing to anything fancier (in terms of format and input). Although I can see myself using it to plan personal projects in the near future. But more than anything it is helping me to focus my mind, show me what I have acheived and what I still need to get done.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:23 AM, Isis said:

Ok, so I'm trying to keep it really low key...

I love the approach you've outlined.  It is very similar to how I use my daily planner, but I do tend to journal in there some.  I love the idea of a habit tracker.  There are things that I do (or need to do ) on a daily basis that are extremely important to me.  I may try to add that to my own planner in some capacity.

Archived