Best Rated Episodes So Far By This Forum

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

So I was curious to know how season 7 was stacking up in ratings (on this forum) in comparison to other seasons. I went through the ratings of each episode of each season & calculated them 2 different ways: 1. I found the average of each episode & 2. I totaled the entire points of each episode. For now I'll be posting the top 10 episodes by average score followed by the best & worst episodes per season (excluding season 7 as it isn't over yet) followed by the highest & lowest season. I will post the same for the total scores if anyone shows any interest in this :)

From #10 - #1 if it's bolded that means it was also the highest episode in it's season

#10 - Episode 704: The Spoils of War 8.66

#9 - 406: The Laws of God's & Men 8.78

#8 - 305: Kissed by Fire 8.82

#7 - 106: A Golden Crown 8.83

#6 - 109: Baelor 8.91

#5 - 508: Hardhome 8.99

#4 - 108: The Pointy End 9.03

#3 - 304: And Now His Watch is Ended 9.24

#2 - 309: The Rains of Castamere 9.26

#1 - 209: Blackwater 9.54

Interesting that only one season 7 episode has made it on the top 10 (I didn't calculate last night's episode since some people may still be voting) 3 episodes from season 1. Did we have lower expectations? Or was season 1 just that good? 

Best & Worst episodes per season by average score: 

Season 1:

1st: # 108 The Pointy End - 9.03

Last: # 103 Lord Snow - 7.88

Season 2:

1st: # 209 Blackwater - 9.54

Last: # 210 Valar Morghulis - 6.82

Season 3: 

1st: # 309 The Rains of Castamere - 9.26

Last: # 307 The Bear & The Maiden Fair - 7.14

Season 4: 

1st: # 406 The Laws of Gods & Men - 8.78

Last: # 403 Breaker of Chains - 7.00

Season 5: 

1st: # 508 Hardhome - 8.99

Last: # 510 Mother's Mercy 6.13

Season 6:

1st: # 610 The Winds of Winter 8.51

Last: #608 Noone - 5.38

Seasons in order by total averages:

1. Season #1: 8.45

2. Season #3: 8.11

3. Season #4: 7.97

4. Season #2: 7.90

5. Season #5: 6.96

6. Season #6: 6.95

For what it's worth the following is the same info as above only according to total score rather than average. I say that because there is some correlation between number of voters & total score so I don't know how well the results reflect the actual opinion of the forum viewers. Again the top episodes in their season is bolded 

#10 - 406: The Laws of Gods & Men 6,278

#9 - 210: Valar Morghulis 6,292

#8 - 408: The Mountain & the Viper 6,718

#7 - 510: Mother's Mercy 7,055

#6 - 409: Watchers on the Wall 7,202

#5 - 209: Blackwater 7,409

#4 - 304: And Now His Watch is Ended 7,972

#3 - 310: Mhysa 8,242

#2 - 508: Hardhome 8,918

#1 - 309: The Rains of Castamere 12,265

Not one season 1 episode! Some of the episodes that made this top 10 didn't average very high either. 

Best & Worst Episodes per season by total score:

Season 1:

1st: # 109 Baelor - 3,678

Last: # 103 Lord Snow - 1,868

Season 2: 

1st: # 209 Blackwater - 7,409

Last: # 202 The Night Lands - 2,904

Season 3: 

1st: # 309 The Rains of Castamere - 12,265

Last: # 302 Dark Wings, Dark Words - 5,112

Season 4: 

1st: # 410 The Children - 8,138

Last: # 405 First of His Name - 4,229

Season 5: 

1st: # 508 Hardhome - 8,918

Last: # 503 The High Sparrow - 3,322

Season 6: 

1st: # 610 The Winds of Winter - 6,065

Last: # 603 Oath breaker - 2,524

Seasons in order by total scores:

1. Season #3: 68,868

2. Season #4: 58,555

3. Season #5: 49,178

4. Season #2: 41,752

5. Season #6: 38,327

6. Season #1: 24,970

Interesting, thanks for compiling this.  I think the answer is that season 1 was just that good - all of the first four seasons were.  Everything from the fact that they were working from source material that wasn't too sprawling (mostly pre AFFC/ADWD), to the fact that the writers and producers weren't burned out and were genuinely excited about the show and the increased attention and success they were having.  Quality across the board was better.

I would say S1 was THAT good.  What's interesting is that the demographics of the forums have changed over time and I would expect that change to have a reverse influence.  S1 votes were very heavy on book readers.  This site was long established as a great home for book readers.  The unsullied (as we called them then) drifted in slowly over time.  So have become sullied in that time period, but it seems very likely the sullied:unsullied ratio has decreased since S1.  I think if you were able to track it (impossible), the sullied would have a lower average score than the unsullied.

This means likely S1 should even be higher .

What stood out to me was that Season 5 came higher than Season 6. Season 5 was deeply flawed by the Dornish story. When doing my rewatch of before the new season last year I only watch 507 - 510.

30 minutes ago, ivanosky said:

I'm surprised that The Battle of the Bastards and Episode 10 from Season 6 are not in that list. Those are 2 of my favorite episodes of the show. Also Season 1 episode 1.

They are extremely weak episodes in terms of writing, all they have going for them is spectacle, that's why they aren't in the top 10.

11 minutes ago, NickStark2494 said:

They are extremely weak episodes in terms of writing, all they have going for them is spectacle, that's why they aren't in the top 10.

The same could be said about Season 7 episode 4. And there it is. Also, I'm surprised Season 1 episode 1 is not there either.

20 minutes ago, ivanosky said:

The same could be said about Season 7 episode 4. And there it is. Also, I'm surprised Season 1 episode 1 is not there either.

I feel like Season 7 Episode 4 has far fewer writing issues than the last two episodes of Season 6.

As for the pilot, I agree with you.

thanks for putting it together, interesting to see.

My personal favourites of all time are 704 - Spoils of war and 508 - Hardhome.

I think it is quite difficult to distinguish between the seasons where the books are out 1-4 and those were the viewers don't know yet what is about to happen (somewhere at 5 - 7).

I'd love to see this broken out between original book readers versus those that started with the show.

I'm surprised that any of season 1 made it to the top 10 with the sheer amount of complaining that was on these boards while it was airing.  To read the comments, the show sucked, the show runners sucked, and it should have never been adapted.

I remember most people estimating that the show might get 3-4 million viewers and the shock when it hit 6.  Oh, how times have changed.

Very surprised to not see "The Wolf and the Lion" and "The Mountain and the Viper".

Along with Blackwater and Hardhome, I found these two episodes to be rare instances where the show version is superior.

Namely Robert's discussion with Cersei and Tyrion's talk about Orson Lannister, a show only character. Both give great insight into two of the most tragic characters in ASOIAF, one dealing with the concept of blind and superficial love, the other an issue of morality and questioning the violent nature that is intrinsic to the human condition.

The Winds of Winter is probably my favourite episode, but due to Cersei's inexplicable ascension to the throne, Arya's sudden indulgement in cooking Freys, and Littlefinger's transformation from a brilliant schemer to a whisperer of sweet nothings, I understand its absence.     

To add some color just for fun, Season 7 averages 6.97 so far, matching the other two post-book seasons.  I expect that will probably go up a bit because I think (hope?) 707 will be pretty solid.

The lowest score so far is 6.45 for 705 (the second lowest rating of the entire series, behind only No One).  704 has climbed to 8.67 since the OP statistics were compiled.

There is clearly a precipitous drop in ratings after we left the books.  Thanks for compiling this, Lyanna, it's an interesting look and represents a lot of work to have produced it.

19 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

So I was curious to know how season 7 was stacking up in ratings (on this forum) in comparison to other seasons. I went through the ratings of each episode of each season & calculated them 2 different ways: 1. I found the average of each episode & 2. I totaled the entire points of each episode. For now I'll be posting the top 10 episodes by average score followed by the best & worst episodes per season (excluding season 7 as it isn't over yet) followed by the highest & lowest season. I will post the same for the total scores if anyone shows any interest in this :)

From #10 - #1 if it's bolded that means it was also the highest episode in it's season

#10 - Episode 704: The Spoils of War 8.66

#9 - 406: The Laws of God's & Men 8.78

#8 - 305: Kissed by Fire 8.82

#7 - 106: A Golden Crown 8.83

#6 - 109: Baylor 8.91

#5 - 508: Hardhome 8.99

#4 - 108: The Pointy End 9.03

#3 - 304: And Now His Watch is Ended 9.24

#2 - 309: The Rains of Castamere 9.26

#1 - 209: Blackwater 9.54

Interesting that only one season 7 episode has made it on the top 10 (I didn't calculate last night's episode since some people may still be voting) 3 episodes from season 1. Did we have lower expectations? Or was season 1 just that good? 

Best & Worst episodes per season by average score: 

Season 1:

1st: # 108 The Pointy End - 9.03

Last: # 103 Lord Snow - 7.88

Season 2:

1st: # 209 Blackwater - 9.54

Last: # 210 Valar Morghulis - 6.82

Season 3: 

1st: # 309 The Rains of Castamere - 9.26

Last: # 307 The Bear & The Maiden Fair - 7.14

Season 4: 

1st: # 406 The Laws of Gods & Men - 8.78

Last: # 403 Breaker of Chains - 7.00

Season 5: 

1st: # 508 Hardhome - 8.99

Last: # 510 Mother's Mercy 6.13

Season 6:

1st: # 610 The Winds of Winter 8.51

Last: #608 Noone - 5.38

Seasons in order by total averages:

1. Season #1: 8.45

2. Season #3: 8.11

3. Season #4: 7.97

4. Season #2: 7.90

5. Season #5: 6.96

6. Season #6: 6.95

Wow, this is a FANTASTIC thread!!!

Great job!!

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but never got around to it. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Any other details you have would be welcome, too!

Maybe next week (after the Season finale) list ALL 67 episodes, in order, and post it in General Got??? That would be awesome.

By the way, I noticed that Season 6 had NO top 10 episode, Season 5 had only one in the top 10, Season 4 had only one in the top 10.  In light of that, I think the fact that 704 cracked the top 10 is just astounding.  (I think a lot of viewers are becoming more and more cynical, especially after we've gone beyond the books)

16 minutes ago, Cron said:

Wow, this is a FANTASTIC thread!!!

Great job!!

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but never got around to it. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Any other details you have would be welcome, too!

Maybe next week (after the Season finale) list ALL 67 episodes, in order, and post it in General Got??? That would be awesome.

By the way, I noticed that Season 6 had NO top 10 episode, Season 5 had only one in the top 10, Season 4 had only one in the top 10.  In light of that, I think the fact that 704 cracked the top 10 is just astounding.  (I think a lot of viewers are becoming more and more cynical, especially after we've gone beyond the books)

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll post a little more maybe tonight. I was thinking about listing them all in order as well. 

I agree about episode 704! I doubled checked my math just to be sure because I sure didn't expect it! :D

46 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll post a little more maybe tonight. I was thinking about listing them all in order as well. 

I agree about episode 704! I doubled checked my math just to be sure because I sure didn't expect it! :D

I really started thinking about this issue a LOT after 704.  I immediately believed that in my mind, it was a "10" and possibly tied for best episode ever, and when I looked at the "Rate the Episode" thread for it I was stunned, there were a LOT of 9's and 10's.

So that made me wonder how all the episodes rank, and now, here you are with that information!

By the way, I'm really curious to see where 706 ends up, too.  I think it might end up being bottom 10, if not worse.  There seems to be a LOT of blowback on the botching of the timeline(s).  (Not just in my thread, here, either.  I'm seeing articles nationwide about it, mabye even worldwide, I guess)

Archived