Cersei Will Kill Brienne?

There is all kinds of speculation on what Cersei will do to finally push Jamie over the edge so he will kill her.  It appears Brienne is coming to Kings Landing, so I'm wondering if Cersei will kill her somehow and that will be enough for Jamie to do the deed?  This pregnancy of course complicates things, if it's even true, since Jamie gave her that sheepish, submissive look like all is well again when she revealed it to him. As many plot holes as there has been this year, I cannot possibly imagine this entire contingent of major characters coming out of there unscathed with a mad queen like Cersei as the host. 

Brienne would be a good sacrifice in my opinion to get Cersei out of the way.

Or perhaps Jaime will find himself in a situation where he will have to make a choice. I mean, his redemption arc is practically nonexistent in the show, and Brienne is central to it, so...

Brienne has been holding on to a Valyrian steel sword, and I think that holds some weight in the show. I don't think she would die so soon.

9 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Or perhaps Jaime will find himself in a situation where he will have to make a choice. I mean, his redemption arc is practically nonexistent in the show, and Brienne is central to it, so...

I agree. I think this is where Jaime and Brienne's stories will converge in the show. It's a bit late for my taste, but better late than never I suppose.

1 minute ago, myth-taken said:

It wouldn't really be choosing Brienne over Cersei. It would be choosing not to stand by Cersei after she murdered a friend of his.

But she is the reason their last child is dead? Is that not enough? Tommen tossed himself out a window and he isn't all that arsed? 

Just now, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

But she is the reason their last child is dead? Is that not enough? Tommen tossed himself out a window and he isn't all that arsed? 

Cersei didn't force Tommen to jump and does Jaime even blame her for that? I can't even remember the conversation they had about him.

Besides, people in the show can have some strange morals.

2 minutes ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

True, I suppose we shouldn't expect the Jaime Lannister's of the world to have the same moral compass as you or I. 

You could be completely right though. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other and show-Jaime could very much pick Cersei over anything/anyone. I think a part of me is just holding onto hope that his character isn't that far gone. I'm hoping for a turnaround. 

We'll just have to see :)

I've got a very bad feeling that Tormund's comments about making super-babies with Brienne is foreshadowing.  My first thought is that Cersei is carrying Robert Strong's baby because she'd want a super-baby, and she's gone to great lengths to make people think it's Jaime's.

A worse thought is the intentional breeding of Brienne with Ser Robert.  The show made it clear that Robert/Gregor can act independently, and we don't know what happened with Septa Unella.  It's also pretty clear that Qyburn would do anything in the name of inhuman experiments/pleasing Cersei.

Can you imagine the motive for the Hound to kill his brother if he finds Brienne the victim of something like that?  As if he didn't have enough.

And it would be so Cersei to punish Brienne - and Jaime - in such a way.

So no.  Cersei would never kill Brienne.  She made Unella suffer, she's making Ellaria suffer, she regrets not making Olenna suffer.  She would torture Brienne, and we were just handed a possible way to do that with Tormund's comment.

16 minutes ago, WeaselPie said:

I've got a very bad feeling that Tormund's comments about making super-babies with Brienne is foreshadowing.  My first thought is that Cersei is carrying Robert Strong's baby because she'd want a super-baby, and she's gone to great lengths to make people think it's Jaime's.

A worse thought is the intentional breeding of Brienne with Ser Robert.  The show made it clear that Robert/Gregor can act independently, and we don't know what happened with Septa Unella.  It's also pretty clear that Qyburn would do anything in the name of inhuman experiments/pleasing Cersei.

Can you imagine the motive for the Hound to kill his brother if he finds Brienne the victim of something like that?  As if he didn't have enough.

And it would be so Cersei to punish Brienne - and Jaime - in such a way.

So no.  Cersei would never kill Brienne.  She made Unella suffer, she's making Ellaria suffer, she regrets not making Olenna suffer.  She would torture Brienne, and we were just handed a possible way to do that with Tormund's comment.

I'm still not sure about Cersei's pregnancy but I can relate to what you said about Cersei punishing Brienne, and in turn punishing Jamie too.  I could see that happening as Cersei is the most selfish character on the show so once she sets her sights on someone she has tunnel vision and thinks of no other implications.  That's why all of her children are dead and that's also why she's no Tywin (although don't tell her that).

I just have a feeling she's going to do something sinister next week and although I like Brienne, there are other characters more worth saving from her wrath in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, myth-taken said:

You could be completely right though. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other and show-Jaime could very much pick Cersei over anything/anyone. I think a part of me is just holding onto hope that his character isn't that far gone. I'm hoping for a turnaround. 

We'll just have to see :)

I hope I'm wrong - the Jaime redemption arc is one of the most compelling elements of the book series and I would love to see more of the show-Jamie we saw when he was with Brienne. His character and complexity has kind of stagnated since he's been back at KL and it's frustrating cos we all know there could be so much MORE to Jaime Lannister. 

6 minutes ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

I hope I'm wrong - the Jaime redemption arc is one of the most compelling elements of the book series and I would love to see more of the show-Jamie we saw when he was with Brienne. His character and complexity has kind of stagnated since he's been back at KL and it's frustrating cos we all know there could be so much MORE to Jaime Lannister. 

And that pregnancy news just made that arc even less likely. But every part of Maggy the Frog's prophecy has come true so here's hoping Jamie makes an abrupt turn

Just now, House Rootbreaker said:

And that pregnancy news just made that arc even less likely. But every part of Maggy the Frog's prophecy has come true so here's hoping Jamie makes an abrupt turn

He has to do *something* eventually, because he's been doing not very much of anything for a few seasons now and yet he's still considered a major player. He'll pull it back at the last minute. 

1 hour ago, House Rootbreaker said:

I'm pretty sure he will.

The show is basically following Jaime's story from the books—and that's exactly the problem.

Up to fAegon's invasion, the stories are pretty close. But the show decided to drop fAegon and make Cersei the one who defends against Dany, which means they had to stretch things out for an extra two seasons. (Making Dorne a Jaime-Myrcella father-daughter story instead of Doran-Arianne didn't help either, but let's ignore that.)

Because they only plan season by season, they didn't think about how to stretch his arc out, so they'd already finished it two seasons early, and then had to come up with filler. Basically, what we're watching on the show should have been one sleepless night in Riverlands where Jaime struggles over his love for Cersei and the fact that she's a monster, and imagines what it would be like if he went back to her—but, since it has to cover two seasons of episodes, it's instead a big mess where he does go back to her and struggles with his feelings and his arc is frozen in place for two years.

But this isn't part of some big plan for a different story for Jaime. They're just going to find some way to reset him to where he would have been after that sleepless night, so he can hit the next story beat in GRRM's outline. They'll have one big event that changes everything for him and forces him to make the decision he's been dithering over with no apparent emotional consequences for two years.

Of course we watched those two years, and his arc has been so derailed that it won't be remotely satisfying to just jump back onto it as if none of that nonsense happened, but I think that's exactly what they're going to do.

Gosh I certainly hope not. Though, I get the feeling that IF Brienne dies (I can't make up my mind about Brienne's death), it's going to be in the war against the Others and the wights. A hero's death, if you will. Then again, that's how I think it'll go in the books, not the show necessarily.. 

But no, I don't think D&D would do that. I think.

Archived