Thoros- Did he say this?

Katleesi

When the Moronic 7 were stranded on the Rock in the Center of the Pond, Jon said: “Daenerys is our only chance,” and someone in another forum indicated that Thoros replied, “No, there is another,” 

I definitely did not catch that. Did any of you? If so, do we know what Thoros meant? 

Ed: THANKS EVERYONE for all the clarification, Super helpful !!!!!

It was Beric, not Thoros, and he was talking about killing the Night King being an alternative to getting rescued by Daenerys and dragons.

Remember, when they were capturing the wight, when Jon killed the White Walker, all the rest of the wights dropped instantly. By extension, kill the Night King, kill the rest of the White Walkers and the wights, at least, according to Beric's theory. Or, if not, then it'd probably still kill most of the wights, making it much easier to kill the rest of the wights and any surviving Walkers.

1 minute ago, Kytheros said:

It was Beric, not Thoros, and he was talking about killing the Night King being an alternative to getting rescued by Daenerys and dragons.

Remember, when they were capturing the wight, when Jon killed the White Walker, all the rest of the wights dropped instantly. By extension, kill the Night King, kill the rest of the White Walkers and the wights, at least, according to Beric's theory. Or, if not, then it'd probably still kill most of the wights, making it much easier to kill the rest of the wights and any surviving Walkers.

Lol, I automatically imaged some wildling with a bow aiming dragonglass arrows at the Night king. Just have said Wildling stalk the Army of the Dead, wait for the perfect moment, and take out the Night King. Bam, war won! But... it would be bad writing since there is not build up, suspense, and a satisfactory resolution.

It was a bit of a strange way for Beric to phrase it. If Jon had said "Daenerys is our last hope" it would have made more sense, although I'm not sure I would have liked it.

Unless it was just supposed to be a pun, with Beric helpfully pointing out "There's an Other" in the same way he might a slightly uncommon bird.

9 minutes ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

It was a bit of a strange way for Beric to phrase it. If Jon had said "Daenerys is our last hope" it would have made more sense, although I'm not sure I would have liked it.

Unless it was just supposed to be a pun, with Beric helpfully pointing out "There's an Other" in the same way he might a slightly uncommon bird.

Only a complete idiot would attack a giant army of wights with 6 men to get to a group of white walkers with there king in an attempt to kill the Nights King. That would have been definitely impossible even if there had been 6 Arthur Daynes with Valyrian steel swords. So everybody who isn't mad would go for Dany.

46 minutes ago, Haskelltier said:

Only a complete idiot would attack a giant army of wights with 6 men to get to a group of white walkers with there king in an attempt to kill the Nights King. That would have been definitely impossible even if there had been 6 Arthur Daynes with Valyrian steel swords. So everybody who isn't mad would go for Dany.

Wouldn't have been a problem is one of those six idiots had brought a bow with some dragonglass arrows. 

Thwip thwip.  War won. 

Assuming, of course, that dragon glass works on NK like it does normal Walkers.  

We've seen wights go down, and we've seen white walkers go down, but I have a feeling it will take more than dragonglass to bring the Night King down. The way he's always at a distance on horseback, and with each appearance he gets more and more involved, he will only be in close range to someone at the very end of the show. So that probably means they are in for a shock when they stab him in the neck with a dragonglass dagger and he shrugs it off.  Think back to any video game or movie with the last boss, you don't discover how to beat him until the final encounter.

1 hour ago, House Rootbreaker said:

We've seen wights go down, and we've seen white walkers go down, but I have a feeling it will take more than dragonglass to bring the Night King down. The way he's always at a distance on horseback, and with each appearance he gets more and more involved, he will only be in close range to someone at the very end of the show. So that probably means they are in for a shock when they stab him in the neck with a dragonglass dagger and he shrugs it off.  Think back to any video game or movie with the last boss, you don't discover how to beat him until the final encounter.

Do we need Samwell to figure out a means to kill him? And in haste.

1 hour ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Was that kind of an homage to Obi Wan and Yoda?

Obi Wan saying Luke is their only hope and Yoda speaking of Leia, no there is another.  

Yeah I immediately thought of that line too. But Jon said Daenerys is our only chance, and Beric said there is another and I think he was referring to another chance, not another person.  Typical of GoT it's vague enough where you can see it both ways but I'm leaning towards Beric just meant killing the Night King is the other way, regardless of who actually does it. 

He was pointing at the NK like they could do it right then and there, but I'm not sure what he was thinking since one person would have to plow through an army of wights.  Even if they did that there are other white walkers there and I'm sure the NK wouldn't just sit there and let the attacker come to him.

Just now, Illiterati said:

"Thoros, you fool.  We can't take the Night King out, or this wight will die.  We need this wight to live so we can take it to Kings Landing and convince Cersei to help us take the night King out!"

That's why Jon said  to him: "You don't understand." :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Illiterati said:

"Beric, you fool.  We can't take the Night King out, or this wight will die.  We need this wight to live so we can take it to Kings Landing and convince Cersei to help us take the night King out!"

1 hour ago, Deminelle said:

That's why Jon said  to him: "You don't understand." :rolleyes:

Lol. 

I rewatched the scene, and I believe that those lines might be telling us something more.

The dialog goes like: 

Jon: Daenerys is our only chance.
Beric: No. There's another. (Pointing to the Night King) Kill him. He turned them all.
Jon: You don't understand...

So, when Beric brings up the possibility of killing the Night King. Jon does not believe they could reach him, and most likely they'll lose not only their lives but their wight and with it the the slightest possibility of turning the people of westeros  aware of the upcoming invasion of the Army of the Dead. That's why he said "You don't understand..."

And then: 

Beric: The Lord brought you back...he brought me back...No one else, just us. Did he do it to watch us freeze to death?

So, for me, Beric is telling Jon  "don't underestimate the Lord of Light. It might seem impossible to take down that thing, and can be impossible for almost anyone, but I bet YOU can, and I can "

1 minute ago, LucyMormont said:

Lol. 

I rewatched the scene, and I believe that those lines might be telling us something more.

The dialog goes like: 

Jon: Daenerys is our only chance.
Beric: No. There's another. (Pointing to the Night King) Kill him. He turned them all.
Jon: You don't understand...

So, when Beric brings up the possibility of killing the Night King. Jon does not believe they could reach him, and most likely they'll loose not only their lives but their wight and with it the the slightest possibility of turning the people of westeros  aware of the upcoming invasion of the Army of the Dead. That's why he said "You don't understand..."

And then: 

Beric: The Lord brought you back...he brought me back...No one else, just us. Did he do it to watch us freeze to death?

So, for me, Beric is telling Jon  "don't underestimate the Lord of Light. It might seem impossible to take down that thing, and can be impossible for almost anyone, but I bet YOU can, and I can "

Finish Jon's sentence.  Something to the effect of, "You don't understand, we need to get this wight back."

9 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

But Beric was opining transitive vulnerability:  If WW create the wights, and killing a WW destroys the wights, and NK created the WW, then killing the NK should destroy the WW, and their destruction should in turn destroy the wights.

The idea that the NK made ALL the White Walkers is absurd to me. We know that the Children made the White Walkers. Are we supposed to believe that they made a single White Walker ? That makes no sense. That certainly won't be the case in the books.

Of course Beric doesn't know any of that anyway, but if the show decides to make the NK the sole creation of the Children, it'll be absolutely absurd.

I'm also unclear on how the NK makes WW. We saw him turn one of Craster's babies, but what happens after that ? Do the babies grow faster than human babies after being turned ? If not, are we to assume there are WW children somewhere ?

Can the NK only make babies into White Walkers, or also fully grown adults ? Because if he can make fully grown adults into WW, you'd think he'd only do that. Why bother with wights ? WW are superior in every way.

The whole lore behind the White Walkers seems very odd on the show.

They've fucked it all up beyond belief.

Just now, NickStark2494 said:

The idea that the NK made ALL the White Walkers is absurd to me. We know that the Children made the White Walkers. Are we supposed to believe that they made a single White Walker ? That makes no sense. That certainly won't be the case in the books.

Of course Beric doesn't know any of that anyway, but if the show decides to make the NK the sole creation of the Children, it'll be absolutely absurd.

I'm also unclear on how the NK makes WW. We saw him turn one of Craster's babies, but what happens after that ? Do the babies grow faster than human babies after being turned ? If not, are we to assume there are WW children somewhere ?

Can the NK only make babies into White Walkers, or also fully grown adults ? Because if he can make fully grown adults into WW, you'd think he'd only do that. Why bother with wights ? WW are superior in every way.

The whole lore behind the White Walkers seems very odd on the show.

They've fucked it all up beyond belief.

Do we know in Show Universe that the children made WW and not just the NK?  I know the NK doesn't even exist as the same being in the books, and the children created a WW in Bran's visit.....

15 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

Do we know in Show Universe that the children made WW and not just the NK?  I know the NK doesn't even exist as the same being in the books, and the children created a WW in Bran's visit.....

The NK is a White Walker. Why would the Children just make one WW ?

Archived