Arya Stark - An Unprovoked attack?

Stormourne

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It would help if they had done a better job with the lying game last year instead of spending all their time having the waif hate on her and beat her with a stick.  But, don't get me started on the criminal waste of effort and time that her Braavos story was, LOL.

Yep. I quite like the Braavos part in the book. But the Braavos storyline and the entirety of the FM have just seemed to me like they were boiled down to their simplest forms in order for Arya to have a bunch of power-ups and peace out. IMO, anyway.

What interested me the most with the FM was the way it was treated as business and worship, the self-abnegation to the point of nihilism and dissociation, and how much more human it is than it is in the show.

In the show they're more like mind-reading Jedis who kill people.

3 minutes ago, Dawn of Fyre said:

Do you think they will resolve these issues in the next episode? Could the writers make up for what they did these past few episode with regards to Winterfell? I am guilty of giving them the benefit of the doubt, more often than not... so what's you opinion on the matter?

To be honest, when it comes to the FM stuff probably not. It seems like they're on the path to use the FM stuff as a power up for Arya, similar to how Bran is the 3ER but much more poorly written. Which makes me sad considering the FM are so, so much more than people with cool powers.

The Arya and Sansa plot itself? I think it will be resolved in the next episode. I'm not sure how satisfying it will be. But I believe it will be resolved.

At this point in the show I have little benefit of the doubt left. I think I may be harsher when it comes to some things though due to my own day job...lol which is probably just me, but yeah, while I believe the Arya/Sansa storyline will be resolved, juries out on how well it will work.

As for Arya's newfound FM powers, it does really bug me that they've made her out to be some mind-reading Jedi assassin which simplifies the FM to the extreme, but I don't think they will be changing that anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

It would help if they had done a better job with the lying game last year instead of spending all their time having the waif hate on her and beat her with a stick.  But, don't get me started on the criminal waste of effort and time that her Braavos story was, LOL.

Oh Gods, yes.  I wasn't crazy about the Braavos arc in the books, but at least Arya wasn't constantly beaten/bullied by her teacher(s).  And then there's the Waif's attack on and chase of Arya.  I'm convinced that Arya is not just magically enhanced via Faceless Men lore, she's got mutant healing powers, because she should be dead of infection after getting stabbed in the gut and falling into the dirty water.  No way could she have survived!

1 hour ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Oh Gods, yes.  I wasn't crazy about the Braavos arc in the books, but at least Arya wasn't constantly beaten/bullied by her teacher(s).  And then there's the Waif's attack on and chase of Arya.  I'm convinced that Arya is not just magically enhanced via Faceless Men lore, she's got mutant healing powers, because she should be dead of infection after getting stabbed in the gut and falling into the dirty water.  No way could she have survived!

Plot armor is best armor, my friend :P

"Arya and Sansa should just sit down and calmly talk it out"

Doesn't anyone saying this realize how nonsensical it is? Arya is heavily persuaded by what she sees to suspect it's highly possible that her sister is involved in the orchestration of a Lannister conspiracy to seize Winterfell. There are a good number of facts that make things look really incriminating for Sansa.

It's a matter of trust. Right now, the facts are disruptive of that trust. You cannot "talk it out" with someone you do not trust. For sake of understanding, imagine Sansa in fact, is loyal to the Lannisters and, is helping them orchestrate a conspiracy to seize Winterfell. All the facts Arya is seeing are leading to the truth" her sister is loyal to the Lannisters who have promised her a throne in return for betraying her family. Jon is finally drawn away from Winterfell, and now is the time for Sansa and Littlefinger to make their move. Suddenly, lo and behold, here's Arya who they thought was dead and never dreamed she'd be back at Winterfell. Oh and by the way, she just put on a show with Brienne displaying her deadly ability with a weapon.

Now, Arya approaches Sansa smiling, and says, "Beloved sister, let's talk." Arya sits down to talk with Sansa. Now, do you seriously think Sansa is going to tell them truth "Why sister, it's true. Yes, I am conspiring with the Lannisters; I have turned my back on our family for my own gain; for you know I just want to be a queen. Will you forgive me?" or do you think Sansa is going to lie through her teeth and say "There is no conspiracy, you are imagining things"?

This is why Arya can't just "sit down and talk" I'm baffled that people would even think this is some kind of viable, sensible option. Arya is reacting to the situation in the most appropriate manner possible; what is interesting about the situation is that prior to this, Arya only faced people she didn't really care about and could act with emotional impunity - now we are seeing her having to take emotion and family into account because her antagonist is no longer someone who isn't close to her. 

4 minutes ago, John Meta said:

Doesn't anyone saying this realize how nonsensical it is? Arya is heavily persuaded by what she sees to suspect it's highly possible that her sister is involved in the orchestration of a Lannister conspiracy to seize Winterfell. There are a good number of facts that make things look really incriminating for Sansa.

It's a matter of trust. Right now, the facts are disruptive of that trust. You cannot "talk it out" with someone you do not trust. For sake of understanding, imagine Sansa in fact, is loyal to the Lannisters and, is helping them orchestrate a conspiracy to seize Winterfell. All the facts Arya is seeing are leading to the truth" her sister is loyal to the Lannisters who have promised her a throne in return for betraying her family. Jon is finally drawn away from Winterfell, and now is the time for Sansa and Littlefinger to make their move. Suddenly, lo and behold, here's Arya who they thought was dead and never dreamed she'd be back at Winterfell. Oh and by the way, she just put on a show with Brienne displaying her deadly ability with a weapon.

Now, Arya approaches Sansa smiling, and says, "Beloved sister, let's talk." Arya sits down to talk with Sansa. Now, do you seriously think Sansa is going to tell them truth "Why sister, it's true. Yes, I am conspiring with the Lannisters; I have turned my back on our family for my own gain; for you know I just want to be a queen. Will you forgive me?" or do you think Sansa is going to lie through her teeth and say "There is no conspiracy, you are imagining things"?

This is why Arya can't just "sit down and talk" I'm baffled that people would even think this is some kind of viable, sensible option. Arya is reacting to the situation in the most appropriate manner possible; what is interesting about the situation is that prior to this, Arya only faced people she didn't really care about and could act with emotional impunity - now we are seeing her having to take emotion and family into account because her antagonist is no longer someone who isn't close to her. 

I think we know it's nonsensical. It doesn't mean we all don't want to bang their heads together and make them talk because the plot is ridiculous and getting stale really fast.

20 hours ago, Risto said:

You forget that Jon had a plan and that he simply abandoned his plan. Which then caused his army to be put in much more dangerous situation. Jon did have a plan, but Ramsay outplayed him. If only someone had warned him about Ramsay. Oh wait, someone did. 

Simply, the argument that Sansa sacrificed the Northern army is not something anyone in-universe thinks. So, if no one in-universe thinks that Sansa betrayed North, how the hell some viewers came to that conclusion speaks about writing. But that doesn't negate the point that it is not what writers wanted audience to think about her actions. 

You are appealing to bad writing at this point, with characters not reacting as normal people would. 

As for your first point, Jon's actions were irrelevant. She called them even before the battle began.

11 hours ago, Lord Okra said:

Nope.

I'm defending Sansa.  At the end of Season 4, Arya was my #1 character.  My favorite......by far.  I still adore the entire season and choose it over all the others because of Arya/Hound scenes.

I'm just answering the nonsense.

Show Sansa has suffered far worse than Arya.  It isn't even close.  It is what it is and it is the reality on show.

You are a Sansa hater, that's the deal.  You are wanting to defend Arya by bashing on Sansa.  I won't do it.  I don't like the direction Arya has gone but I fully believe that in the end her and Sansa will finally have resolution to this squabble.

There is no way to justify the things Arya has said to Sansa unless Sansa actually betrays Jon at some point.....then'd....dun dun dun.....Arya was right about her evil, sinister sister all along......

But, we all know that ain't going to happen.  You don't like the arc, I understand.  I can't help you with that.  Making up crap to excuse Arya bashing on Sansa won't help you either.

Just be patient and Arya is going to come around with some Jon/Gendry/Bran/Sansa help.  I hope so anyway.  I don't like the new Sansa bashing, vengeance obsessed Arya but really.....hasn't that been Arya since way back now?  It is like the journey is almost complete....she started out hating Sansa and wanting vengeance (S1) and that's still at her core story.....which is kinda sad.

I wanted to see cold blooded killer Arya.  But, I don't like what it's lead to.  Maybe I only thought I wanted to see cold blooded killer Aray......nah, I love that.....I just don't like the Arya hating on Sansa because I've grown quite fond of Sansa over the years.  Unlike Arya, whom I loved early on.....the appreciation for Sansa was a long, slow process.  Nobody likes the stuck up bitch.  But I don't see Sansa like that anymore.......but Arya does.

I'm not a Sansa hater at all and I don't appreciate being called one. I like Sansa. I prefer Arya, true, but Sansa is still amongst my favourite characters.

Arya herself isn't hating on Sansa even half as much as you make her out to be.

4 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

I'm not a Sansa hater at all and I don't appreciate being called one. I like Sansa. I prefer Arya, true, but Sansa is still amongst my favourite characters.

Arya herself isn't hating on Sansa even half as much as you make her out to be.

Yet you call me a Arya hater.

I've come to the conclusion that you aren't even watching the show.

You can't be.  Arya has been awful to Sansa all season long.  Only a person not watching the show could claim she hasn't been.

Why are you here if you aren't even watching the show?

10 hours ago, John Meta said:

What good number of facts?

Give one example that indicates Sansa is a secret Lannister ally.

All the talk about Cersie being an enemy to Jon?

Her taking her home from the people the Lannister's appointed to rule the North?

Arya can't sit down and talk?  Why not?  She lost her voice?

Arya hasn't done anything sensible since she entered Winterfell.

4 hours ago, Lord Okra said:

What good number of facts?

Arya hears Jon is king in Winterfell. She favors Jon and goes immediately to Winterfell to reuinte with him. She arrives at Winter and Jon is not there, having been drawn away South (and we all know how it usually fares for a Stark going South). Not great news. Finds out Sansa is now in charge. Okay. Then she sees Sansa with Littlefinger (the known Lannister conspirator plotting with Tywin to kill her other brother Rob). Red flag. Next she sees the northern lords beginning to betray Jon and favor Sansa as queen. Red flag. She begins to question Sansa and Sansa's response: "I have work to do" avoid the talking. Red flag.

Now, Arya has returned, much to Sansa's factual surprise; Winterfell thought she was dead. As soon as Arya starts asking question, what does she next see? Littlefinger (apparently) acting on Sansa's behalf to find and hide a certain message from Arya. An incriminating message in which Sansa betrays the Starks, sides with the Lannisters who are "providing her all her comforts and needs": five-alarm red sirens.

These are the facts, this is not even including what has already been said in this thread about Arya and Sansa's relationship; how Arya dislikes Sansa's weakness and coveting of lady-like things, and sole desires to rule as queen; Sansa's betrayal of Arya for Geoffrey at Winterfell, etc.

Give one example that indicates Sansa is a secret Lannister ally.

She is being supported by Littlefinger, who is to Arya a known Lannister conspirator she last saw at Harrenhal plotting with Tywin Lannister the death of her brother Rob. In other words, Sansa is an ally to a known Lannister conspirator: indicates Sansa is an ally to a known Lannister conspirator.

All the talk about Cersie being an enemy to Jon?

Not sure what you're intending to say here.

Her taking her home from the people the Lannister's appointed to rule the North?

Ramsay Bolton was a Lannister?

Arya can't sit down and talk?  Why not?  She lost her voice?

I thought I explained that in the post to which you're replying? If you've forgotten it, or, missed it; it's covered in the post to which you're replying. There's no purpose in talking to someone when you're not sure they're being honest. It's like asking "Why can't people just sit down and talk to Littlefinger?" It's because they don't trust he's being honest, so there's no point.

Arya hasn't done anything sensible since she entered Winterfell.

Everything she has done is perfectly sensible. The writing here isn't the thing at fault (in fact it's merely the same writing as always, now giving us the angle of how Arya meets a challenge when emotion/family complicates the scenario. There is a portion of the viewing audience which is unfortunately not able to see the big picture which, to my mind, has been clearly painted by the writers. But without meaning offense (I truly do not) I have to state that the problem here is not the writing, the problem is a portion of the viewing audience's ability to comprehend what is happening is failing them.

Though to be honest, I believe for that portion of the viewing audience to not be able to follow the story, to then blame the writers as "bad writing" instead of concluding "I must not be understanding" smacks of egocentric and incompetent judgment.

14 hours ago, Pandean said:

I think we know it's nonsensical. It doesn't mean we all don't want to bang their heads together and make them talk because the plot is ridiculous and getting stale really fast.

I can understand some people not wanting to see two Starks in conflict. While I won't say I enjoy that they're in conflict, I do like that the writers are giving the characters a challenge which can't be overcome by simply unplugging emotion (as for Arya's case). This is a fresh take on both Arya and Sansa, and it is new ground for both characters. It's an interesting insight into who they have become, how they have changed, and what it will take to bring them truly into a real reunion. If you recall Arya and Sansa's initial reunion it was very understated, the scene fell flat and there was not even any music in the scene to provide that emotional release. I'm sure this was on purpose, and this was a 'false' reunion which will deepen the 'real' reunion moment to come.

Your statement "ridiculous and stale" is a subjective value claim, and while I can understand your point of view; I do not share it. Not everything in a story of this magnitude can appeal to every viewer (I'm sure a large section of the audience thinks romance is 'ridiculous and getting old really fast - get back to the fighting scenes of clashing warriors spitting jabs and swearing solemn oaths!') and there will be times when we're not fully into what is happening onscreen. But from my point of view, this is new ground for old characters, brings depth to them and allows us to understand them in a different light; and it has only been a point for a few episodes.

Well, I think a large portion of the audience didn't 'get' the segment.  The take away even for many reviewers was that "Oh no, Arya has gone psycho, she's going to kill Sansa....what a shame I used to love her".  Which, I doubt is the goal of the writers to have Arya lose her fanbase.

The game of lies or faces wasn't set up very well, because people don't remember, so I didn't think it was very clear that Arya is testing Sansa and will make a decision based on whether she is truthful or not, a large part of the audience didn't either seem to get the significance of Arya giving her the dagger....that she's saying, as I understand it, really two things, that Sansa passed the test? I think, and also, as one reviewer said "who gonna check me, boo"...that Arya doesn't need a dagger and Sansa can't kill her even if she wanted to because she's Mystique now.

The audience take away seemed to be Arya became a brat and ranted to her sister about stuff from Season 1, so I think it was poorly constructed.  I might be wrong, maybe this is what they wanted the audience to conclude so that whatever happens next week will be a big SHOCK

They have officially done it. Arya is on of my favourite characters in the books and even in the show she's usually been a character I could enjoy watching. It took them all of three episodes to completely ruin her character and turn her from someone I can cheer for to someone I want Joffrey slap. Well done, D&D.

If she is acting like a complete asshole towards her sister because she's suspicious of Littlefinger after seeing him at Harrenhall then it's even dumber. Firstly, Arya herself was at Harrenhall, with access to a faceless man no less, yet in all this time failed to name Tywin. She doesn't have a leg to stand on. And if she's suspicious of LF she should be a, killing him (should seems more than ready to dispatch the Northern lords for a much lesser offence) and b, warning Sansa rather than antagonising her. 

And all her arguments are just so childish, petty and contrived, bringing up stuff that happened years ago in completely different circumstances. Not once does she bring up anything that Sansa is allegedly doing right now to earn all this enmity and suspicion. Her entire argument rests on something she imagined is going on in Sansa's head without once bothering to clarify. Here the show seems to completely miss its tone because you can tell you're supposed to symphatise with Arya yet wrote everything that Sansa says as just so damn reasonable. Threatening actual violence and murder? Hell, even threatening to expose Sansa's so called treason, if she believes the note to be all that damning, is tantamount to a threatened murder. That's not something you can come back from over the course of an evening and a shared bottle of wine! 

Arya and Sansa have never gotten along. They've never been close - Sansa was/is Arya's least favorite sibling, and Arya was/is Sansa's second least favorite sibling (after Jon). They always had very different interests.

Jon and Arya even had their "don't tell Sansa" thing, way back when. Deliberately not telling Sansa things because they knew she'd either use it against them and/or tattle on them to get them in trouble - that's indicative of a lack of trust, at least in part.

Jon's was/is Arya's favorite sibling. Jon was/is Sansa's least favorite sibling. She sees people trashing Jon in favor of Sansa, and Sansa not doing or saying anything to stop them doing that. If Arya had to pick siding with Sansa or siding with Jon, she'd side with Jon every time.

Arya has plenty of reasons to be mistrustful/suspicious of Sansa/Sansa's motives in the present. Nothing proving anything, but certainly enough to question.

Their past issues with each other make it hard for them to actually talk to each other, rather than at/past each other. So, sure, if they actually sat and talked it out, they'd be able to clear things up right quick, but their past history makes actually getting to the point of sitting and talking it out with each other difficult.

There's reason for some measure of sibling conflict between Sansa and Arya, but the amount and degree is getting arbitrarily augmented by the show, I think.

1 hour ago, John Meta said:

Everything she has done is perfectly sensible. The writing here isn't the thing at fault (in fact it's merely the same writing as always, now giving us the angle of how Arya meets a challenge when emotion/family complicates the scenario. There is a portion of the viewing audience which is unfortunately not able to see the big picture which, to my mind, has been clearly painted by the writers. But without meaning offense (I truly do not) I have to state that the problem here is not the writing, the problem is a portion of the viewing audience's ability to comprehend what is happening is failing them.

Though to be honest, I believe for that portion of the viewing audience to not be able to follow the story, to then blame the writers as "bad writing" instead of concluding "I must not be understanding" smacks of egocentric and incompetent judgment.

On the one hand, you've got a point. On the other hand, your case would be a helluva lot stronger if there weren't a pre-existing pattern of poor writing in the show.

5 hours ago, Lord Okra said:

Yet you call me a Arya hater.

I've come to the conclusion that you aren't even watching the show.

You can't be.  Arya has been awful to Sansa all season long.  Only a person not watching the show could claim she hasn't been.

Why are you here if you aren't even watching the show?

I haven't been running Sansa's character down. You HAVE been doing that, rather constantly, with Arya.

Because I'm not interpreting scenes the same way as you means I mustn't be watching the show? What a ridiculous conclusion to draw.

And yes, Arya hasn't been kind to Sansa the last few episodes, but it hasn't been *all season long* -Arya only returned to Winterfell in episode 4 which was their reunion episode and she didn't say anything bad to Sansa then. So really, your problem is episodes 5 and 6. Two episodes is not a season.

1 hour ago, Gaz0680 said:

I haven't been running Sansa's character down. You HAVE been doing that, rather constantly, with Arya.

Because I'm not interpreting scenes the same way as you means I mustn't be watching the show? What a ridiculous conclusion to draw.

And yes, Arya hasn't been kind to Sansa the last few episodes, but it hasn't been *all season long* -Arya only returned to Winterfell in episode 4 which was their reunion episode and she didn't say anything bad to Sansa then. So really, your problem is episodes 5 and 6. Two episodes is not a season.

You are correct, it hasn't been all season long.

4 hours ago, John Meta said:

Arya hears Jon is king in Winterfell. She favors Jon and goes immediately to Winterfell to reuinte with him. She arrives at Winter and Jon is not there, having been drawn away South (and we all know how it usually fares for a Stark going South). Not great news. Finds out Sansa is now in charge. Okay. Then she sees Sansa with Littlefinger (the known Lannister conspirator plotting with Tywin to kill her other brother Rob). Red flag. Next she sees the northern lords beginning to betray Jon and favor Sansa as queen. Red flag. She begins to question Sansa and Sansa's response: "I have work to do" avoid the talking. Red flag.

Aren't you leaving out that the first words from Arya to Sansa were sorta a veiled shot.....with the veil being removed as the interactions progressed throughout the season?

Didn't Littlefinger bring the Starks back home to Winterfell?  Didn't Littlefinger help kill Joffrey Lannister?  Hasn't Litttlefinger been betraying the Lannisters since the first season?  I understand, Arya doesn't know any of this.  All she is carrying around is seeing LF meet the Tywin and she hates him for it.  

It is super immature.  I don't like it either but that that is the way they have written Arya.  It's been awful to watch her be like this since she got to WF.  But, let's be frank.....there's no real justification for it.  Arya is using a jump to conclusions mat based on no information really. 

Now, Arya has returned, much to Sansa's factual surprise; Winterfell thought she was dead. As soon as Arya starts asking question, what does she next see? Littlefinger (apparently) acting on Sansa's behalf to find and hide a certain message from Arya. An incriminating message in which Sansa betrays the Starks, sides with the Lannisters who are "providing her all her comforts and needs": five-alarm red sirens.

She doesn't ask any questions really.  She doesn't want answers from Sansa.  She hasn't accepted any answer.  She asked why LF is there and she was told.  We need his men.  This is the adult, reasonable answer......Arya apparently takes it as a sign that Sansa is betraying Jon?  Didn't LF just rescue Jon?  I mean, we all know that LF tried to turn Sansa from Jon and has failed over and over again.....being clearly rebuked and belittled by Sansa.

Arya doesn't know this apparently.  She apparently thinks Sansa is plotting with LF to overthrow Jon....which is just her being wrong and nothing more at this point.  It is hard to watch.

These are the facts, this is not even including what has already been said in this thread about Arya and Sansa's relationship; how Arya dislikes Sansa's weakness and coveting of lady-like things, and sole desires to rule as queen; Sansa's betrayal of Arya for Geoffrey at Winterfell, etc.

We all know that Arya hates Sansa.  That's been made abundently clear on the show since S1.  That's the exact reason why she is being hateful to Sansa.  It has nothing to do with Sansa showing signs of betraying Jon.  It has nothing to do with anything Sansa has done really.  Arya hates Sansa for being Sansa......a Lady.....not a fighter.....who likes castles and princes and nice things......

It makes me want to roll my eyes every time she attacks Sansa because Sansa is not weak and stupid and only wanting things for herself.  We, the audience know this.......Arya just doesn't.  

She is being supported by Littlefinger, who is to Arya a known Lannister conspirator she last saw at Harrenhal plotting with Tywin Lannister the death of her brother Rob. In other words, Sansa is an ally to a known Lannister conspirator: indicates Sansa is an ally to a known Lannister conspirator.

Not sure what you're intending to say here.

Ramsay Bolton was a Lannister?

Weren't the Bolton's named Warden's of the North by the Lannisters.  Maybe it is a reading problem for you.  I said that she got rid of the people appointed by the Lannisters.  I didn't say anything about the Bolton's being Lannisters.  Come on man. 

I thought I explained that in the post to which you're replying? If you've forgotten it, or, missed it; it's covered in the post to which you're replying. There's no purpose in talking to someone when you're not sure they're being honest. It's like asking "Why can't people just sit down and talk to Littlefinger?" It's because they don't trust he's being honest, so there's no point.

You can't determine if a person is being honest if you don't talk to them.  Arya has prejudged Sansa.  That is the storyline so far this season with Arya/Sansa.  The entire sequence and story in show is that Arya has come home and is mad at Sansa for Sansa being Sansa......and she still thinks Sansa is the same 14 year old girl she was.  Once again, I don't like it either and I wish Arya wasn't doing it but that's what we've been given.

Arya wants to catch Sansa and be right about the sister she's always disliked.  But there is nothing to catch.  And Arya is being played hard by Littlefinger.  The thing is, Arya should answer some questions too.

Where did you get that letter?.......Arya doesn't answer........she just keeps on accusing or threatening.  Controlled by her misunderstanding and her emotions.

Calling Sansa a traitor was sensible?  I've seen the big picture.  Arya doesn't know what she is talking about at all.  She is holding onto childhood anger and it is just bad.  She's in a very, very dark place right now.

I haven't called the writing bad.  The writing is excellent on this show.

I don't like the path that Arya has taken but the writing is solid.  The reasons why she acts like this are laid out over many years.  It is no surprise that Arya is tormenting Sansa......that was in the first episode of S1........talk about continuity.

Archived