Bringing down the Wall

Bran's Tourney

On 2017/8/23 at 11:53 PM, Bran's Tourney said:

We know the army of the dead is coming south. But they cannot pass the magic of the Wall. 

How will it happen? 

I'm all for the Ice Dragon breathing ice, not fire, but one could also imagine dragon fire bringing down the Wall. 

I am on the other side to assume the "ice" dragon will spit fires to melt down the wall, it was what the NK was waiting for. for the dragon basically magic turned fires.

I think it has to be the dragon, unless the Night King is going to materialize some powertools out of thin air the way he did with those heavy industrial chains...

The only other possibility is the Horn of Joramun, which to my knowledge hasn't even been mentioned on the show.

8 hours ago, Bran's Tourney said:

I always assumed the ice dragon would breath ice... dungeons and dragons style...

Yeah, but changing from a red dragon to a white dragon loses more than a third of his HD, drops him from beyond-18 intelligence to normal human level, and replaces his high-level spellcasting with a handful of automatic spells. That doesn't seem like a good tradeoff.

My hope....

Ice Dragon does breath ultra cold.  Think nitrogen or colder.

Scene.....

Ice Dragon flies in right in front of the massive army of the dead.  Freezes the wildlings on top of the wall, lands in front of the gate/passage through the wall.......sprays cold fire on the gate freezing it so it is super brittle.......Giant walks up with giant hammer and smashes the brittle wall and it shatters into a million pieces.......AoD rush through the gap.

Dragon magic ice fire destroys the magic protecting this part of the wall (no in show explanation needed really).

Or, if the Dragon still breaths fire.....same basic sequence works.

I hope he breaths ice fire or whatever you want to call it though.

4 hours ago, Lord Okra said:

Ice Dragon does breath ultra cold.  Think nitrogen or colder.

Forget liquid nitrogen, have him breathe a dense jet of superfluid helium that coats everyone and everything in its path and creeps around corners. Realistically, I'm not sure what the effects would be (a Rollin film has very high thermal conductivity, but it's also incredibly thin, and there's a lot of heat to conduct out of a human body or a steel bar), but they could fudge it and nobody would complain.

On 8/23/2017 at 11:53 AM, Bran's Tourney said:

We know the army of the dead is coming south. But they cannot pass the magic of the Wall. 

How will it happen? 

I'm all for the Ice Dragon breathing ice, not fire, but one could also imagine dragon fire bringing down the Wall. 

I wish the white walker dragon would breath ice, but I see him simply breathing fire and melting the Wall down.  I obviously don't think it will happen this way in the books, but I see how simplistically the show is getting there and it makes sense to me.  

23 hours ago, Khorkalba said:

I think it has to be the dragon, unless the Night King is going to materialize some powertools out of thin air the way he did with those heavy industrial chains...

The only other possibility is the Horn of Joramun, which to my knowledge hasn't even been mentioned on the show.

Yeah,  I don't think the Horn of Joramun has ever been mentioned on the show, so there's no way they'd introduce it this late in the game.  I think it's logical and simple at this point to just have the dragon breathing fire melting the Wall.  Nothing with the Horn but I could definitely see that getting involved in the books.  

22 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

well the foundation of the wall has spells to keep the dead out so even if the wall falls there should be no dead who can cross it.  Of course to have the night king fly over the wall they would have to break this rule too since the dragon is dead

If it were possible for the NK to fly over the wall, couldn't he just take a boat around it?

19 hours ago, Count Winter said:

Maybe the NK needed a dragon to fly across the wall.... Once he has passed, the dead will follow.

Or he could just fly his WWs across and they can build a new army of undead with all the unburned dead from the wars over the last 6 seasons.  

On 8/25/2017 at 8:15 PM, Khorkalba said:

The Night's King will have his army of the dead attach those giant chains to the Wall, and then they will simply just pull it down.  If you're wondering how they will attach the chains to the Wall, they'll do it the same way they attached the chains to the dragon.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:53 AM, Bran's Tourney said:

How will it happen? 

Didn't one already pass the wall? It's being carried to Kings Landing. Unless it "died" again when the hound impaled it on one of Drogons spikes to keep it still. Which would make the trip down there a bit pointless. The spell was apparently broken when Bran was touched by the Nights King. 

I think. Maybe. 

If the Wight-Dragon breaths fire, it will probably melt down the wall in one place (that should be enough) to get a passage for the rest. This might take a little bit (melting huge ice-masses should take a minute or two), but will succeed, since nobody can really stop it.

If the Wight-Dragon breaths ice, the Night King will use the breath to freeze the sea water near the shore by Eastwatch so that the army can simply walk around the wall.

If the Wight-Dragon can't breath ice or fire, he will simply fly over the wall, kill the black brothers in Eastwatch and the wights will take a week or two to dig a hole through the wall (I assume that the Nights Watch has sealed the passages through the wall by now).

I think the showrunners will take the first option. That's the coolest scene and they will definitely go for the more impressive stuff when they have the chance (no matter whether other things would make more sense or not).

5 hours ago, Haskelltier said:

f the Wight-Dragon breaths ice, the Night King will use the breath to freeze the sea water near the shore by Eastwatch so that the army can simply walk around the wall.

We've already seen ice off the coast of Eastwatch on the map during the credits, which we didn't see in previous seasons. Not that I'm insisting that the map is canonical indisputable fact or anything, but the showrunners must have had a reason for doing that.

But I don't think they're going to go with just having the army bypass the Wall by walking around it on the ice. Maybe it's just going to be there for a red herring or a fakeout, where Tormund worries that the army is going to walk around them and they have to divide their defenses? Or maybe it'll just prevent an army from landing from the shore Stannis-style? Or maybe the Night King is going to walk out and fight a kraken, who knows.

Archived