'Godless': Netflix's Western tv series

AncalagonTheBlack

Netflix has set November 22 for the premiere of Godless, a limited period drama series from the Out of Sight duo of Steven Soderbergh and Scott Frank.

Written, directed and executive produced by Frank, the seven-part Godless is a Western set in an 1800s New Mexico mining town, starring Jeff Daniels, Michelle Dockery and Jack O’Connell.

It centers on notorious criminal Frank Griffin (Daniels) and his gang of outlaws who are on a mission of revenge against Roy Goode (O’Connell), a son-like protégé who betrayed the brotherhood. While on the run, Roy seeks refuge with hardened widower Alice Fletcher (Dockery), an outcast herself, in a worn-down, isolated mining town of La Belle, NM — governed mainly by women. When word reaches La Belle that Griffin is headed their way, the town bands together to defend against the murderous gang in a lawless western frontier.

Soderbergh and Frank are executive producing alongside Casey Silver.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/steven-soderbergh-godless-premiere-date-netflix-1202537336/

Cast

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2017 at 5:02 PM, Martini Sigil said:

Holy cow... how did this not come up on my radar?... Thanks!

Right? I just saw the trailer a few days ago and it looks fucking great. Awesome cast too.

ETA: Just saw that Cowboy Cerrone is in it. Wow!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, red snow said:

for some reason I thought new stuff only launched on Fridays. This looks good. And it's a limited series which hopefully means a complete story.

I thought so too. Netflix may be taking advantage of the Thanksgiving holiday and extended weekend here in the US. Just a guess on my part.

8 hours ago, Astromech said:

I thought so too. Netflix may be taking advantage of the Thanksgiving holiday and extended weekend here in the US. Just a guess on my part.

Thanksgiving makes sense - besides the sales the UK ignores the holiday which is fair enough.

I guess I can resume my "what's out on Friday" schedule as normal :)

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Thanksgiving makes sense - besides the sales the UK ignores the holiday which is fair enough.

I guess I can resume my "what's out on Friday" schedule as normal :)

I think you're safe following that rule.

Enjoyed the first episode. Westerns are one of my favorite genres so I'll usually at least give them a try. I like the premise. Ray is a bit of cliché so, but it wouldn't be a western without some of those. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series. Locking myself in and avoiding the zombie apocalypse better known as Black Friday.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I think you're safe following that rule.

Enjoyed the first episode. Westerns are one of my favorite genres so I'll usually at least give them a try. I like the premise. Ray is a bit of cliché so, but it wouldn't be a western without some of those. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series. Locking myself in and avoiding the zombie apocalypse better known as Black Friday.

The Guardian reviewer was actively gushing over it.

I put The Punisher on hold while I dive into this series. I'm three episodes in and loving it. Some episodes are slower than others(episode 3 was a bit slow). I'm finding each character quite interesting. Dare I say similar to Deadwood in that regard. The cast has been excellent so far,Jeff Daniels, Michelle Dockery, Scoot McNairy. But the gem is Merritt Weaver as Mary Agnes. I love every scene with her. Such a great character. Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Whitey Winn isn't half bad either. It was nice to see Tantoo Cardinal again after watching the final season of Longmire.

Archived