What are your Choices for the Most Literate Works of Fantasy

GAROVORKIN

17 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Clark Ashton Smith  wrote some of the finest fantasy stories of all time, In terms of his prose style he is unique.  

He penned many great and  tales The City of the Singing Flame and sequel  Beyond the Singing Flame  are two of my favorite talked by him.  Ive read many of his there stories and Ive never been disappointed by anything I've read by him.  He was also a poet and a truly great one.  He wrote  one novel  The Back Diamonds  a strait old time adventure novel. He was  teenager when he wrote it. 

I thought Ashton Smith was pulp.

Have you read him before. ? He did write for the pulps in the 1920'snd 30's , but given the genres that he chose to write fantasy , science fiction and horror,  his  writing was are of a very high quality in terms prose and story telling.  If you've never read him, then your missing out on a great writer.  Nightshade Books recently republished all of his stories. in 5 volume.

The Moers book is quite readable but it is literally fantasy about literature and reading. Vaguely similar (but totally different in specifics) to how The Name of Rose or The Neverending Story are books about books.

Tales From The Dying Earth by Jack Vance   This saga consists of four books .  This saga is set billions of Years in a in future in which Science has faded away and Magic has come back , the sun in the sky is red bloated and dying as  the earth that orbits it .  Off all the fantasy. sagas that I've read  this definite one that Im glad I read.  :cool4:

1. The Dying Earth 

2.The Eyes of The Overload

3.Cugels Saga 

4. Rhiallo the Marvelous 

Also recommend . Songs of the Dying Earth  an anthology  edited by George R R Matin and Gardner Dozois . This is anthology of stories by other writers set in Jack Vance's  Dying Earth .  This is an excellent anthology :cool4:  

8 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Have you read him before. ? He did write for the pulps in the 1920'snd 30's , but given the genres that chose to write Fantasy , science fiction and Horror, the outlast for his works were limits are of very high quality in terms prose and story telling.  If you've never read him, then you missing out on a great writer.  Nightshade Books recently republished all of his stories. in 5 volume 

Nope, never read him though you hyped his stories for me, now. However, IIIRC he was mentioned in the same line as Robert E. Howard and Fritz Lieber.

8 hours ago, redeagl said:

Nope, never read him though you hyped his stories for me, now. However, IIIRC he was mentioned in the same line as Robert E. Howard and Fritz Lieber.

His two best friends were Robert E Howard and  H P Lovecraft. All three of them They used to correspond back and forth to one another  , as far I know, none of them ever met face to face ,

19 hours ago, Jo498 said:

The Moers book is quite readable but it is literally fantasy about literature and reading. Vaguely similar (but totally different in specifics) to how The Name of Rose or The Neverending Story are books about books.

Off topic question for you and other Moers-readers around: did you know a new Zamonia-novel is coming out in the next few days? :D I am excited for Princess Insomnia!

Literary fantasy?  Fritz Lieber and Roger Zelazny both come to mind. Lieber for his Fahfrd and Grey Mouser  stories. Zelazny for his Amber series.

Ray Bradbury. For just about everything he wrote 

Archived