What is the role of Gendry?

JMMapelwood

2 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

At this time I think it is to big for someone to actually use it effectively. Or maybe a big guy?

The Hound could wield Heartsbane, probably. Greatswords were used for real and they were at least 1;5 m long.

21 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

You can ask yourself how's that gonna work out? Well, Arya is curious about what lies west of Westeros. And there's this 1000 ship fleet that will have some role to play in S8 and might be handy for an Exodus. Her wolf was named Nymeria after all, and WF isn't really Nymeria's home anymore. In such a scenario Storm's End and House Baratheon is of no importance. But he can row ;)

Sorry, just forgotten to ask....the 1000 ship fleet...is Euron's? I'm  a bit lost in terms of fleet in the show,

4 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Sorry, just forgotten to ask....the 1000 ship fleet...is Euron's? I'm  a bit lost in terms of fleet in the show,

Yeah, it's Euron's. But Theon might take him down at some point no? And then it becomes Yara's fleet or Theon's. And Theon is sort of an adopted Stark no?

7 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

The Hound could wield Heartsbane, probably. Greatswords were used for real and they were at least 1;5 m long.

I thinkhe could be the only candidate if Heartsbane is not changed in shape or length.

What about Jorah's sword? Do you think he will have one? And Jon's? Last season when we see his baby self there is a close shot  of Dawn. Will LongClaw be Jon's last sword, or maybe Dawn?

4 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Yeah, it's Euron's. But Theon might take him down at some point no? And then it becomes Yara's fleet or Theon's. And Theon is sort of an adopted Stark no?

Ok, so basically the new navy he created offseason. Yeah, it would be Yara's or Theon's (in case Yara died). That would be cool.

But we have to suppose that there are no more ships from the original Ironborn fleet? And thus, that Euron destroyed all of them or maybe they are part of their fleet now, I suppose, as many pirates would do.

Gendry will be king, Arya his queen. This will bring the story back full circle, this time the Baretheon gets the Stark girl. 

Additionally, Gendry will be the one that rediscovers how to make Valaryan steel (with Sam's help). I am curious if Gendry will accompany Jon and co back to KL, or if he shows up in WF in the finale. 

Two Words: Eager Beaver

So he tells Davos off the cuff that he is out of there and runs for a warhammer and grabs it faster than Davos can follow. Thankfully the waste no time putting Baratheon style touches worked. None of that Lannister gold lion heads and ruby bedazzler all over on weaponry crap. (The Starks, any Starks who witnessed the simplicity and power of Ice are turning in their graves. That can change though...but that’s for another time.) And then his words tumble out so fast to Jon…Gendry is ready to get ready. He’s been ready to get ready. Good.

And it could have gone really wrong. And I had to wait to post for two episodes to let it marinate and think how it set with me. And believe me, other stuff to with this character and others. Then I came to the conclusion that it was pulled off and balanced effectively and so well because of the actor and the actors in the scene with him.

It was played endearing, earnest, affable, and somehow harnessed back to ensure it wasn’t over the top and Dempsie did a good job with it. Because it went from: Here I come, big tough guy Robert’s son with hammer to Why is this kid tagging along to catch a wight with us? Hope he doesn’t die a hero’s, er, lackey’s death from (shudder) like frostbite or something…That is the writing and that had nothing to do with the actor. With little time and trying to squeeze so much in you have to convey things and move along and it’s been getting more difficult and noticeable for ages now and that is series-wide.

But it’s more than that. This comes back to the infamous cameo appearances in AFFC. Where it looks like the aura, or the gist of what is going on there was maybe brought to the show. Being found in a forge and the ready to go tips we get, the restlessness, wanting to take off, and basically the he’s “had it” permeates the chapter. Something is quite off and he wasn’t like this before. Well, the last time we saw him was when his road trip buddy, Arya, disappeared. Huge personality change. Huge. Big shift. Everything else detail wise is very different. Except two things that were “shown” differently in the book. Because two things were hanging in the air. Hanging so heavy you could cut it with a knife.

1.       Hi, I’m Gendry here again. Yeah, I’m appearing again and I’m angry, angry, oh, so angry. But no explanation why. Read: Put two and two together on your own.

2.       Where’s Arya? What about Arya? Arya, Arya, Arya…subtly reference Arya, Arya, Arya…Willow may be Arya to Brienne, you know, who has never seen her. The hound helm appears, the man who took Arya, the blood on the floor was caused by the barroom brawl Arya and the Hound was at. There’s more too. That poor ‘prentice boy may marry the girl Brienne thinks is Arya. And there’s more still.

And it is very similar to the Quiet Isle. Nothing is verbalized and spelled out. Much is handed out and the work to piece it together is on the reader; the offer is on the table.

It’s blatant and repetitive and all over that Brienne chapter. So are the two connected by similarity with heavy showing and no telling?

I certainly think so. Haven’t changed my mind in years.

I also understand with tv limitations that Arya has to be shown to change due to her experiences, especially the more brutal ones like from Braavos and display the passage of time as well. And then we have Eager Beaver sunny and ready to please. I think the two extremes are connected, and Gendry might be the walking, er, Sprinting Antidote, for down the road.

I occurred to me on the couch as I watched:

Somehow and eventually, it’s going to be time to hit the defrost button on the frozen package. And that may be a combo of how the three people Arya was close to and cared for, and the same goes for them too, are now all together. To different degrees, but they get her, and see her at her most vulnerable, most openly emotional, human and in some cases in the most trying of times, and how she handles that too. Namely, Gendry, Jon, and the Hound.

I think the defrost is coming. Lots of build up for it.

For another time, I think there is a good case that stuff is being set up for the possibility of Gendry getting Storm’s End. Iron Throne? Nope. Highly doubt it.

On 8/25/2017 at 8:08 AM, JMMapelwood said:

Why did they go to all the trouble saving an at first sight unimportant character? What difference will  Gendry's life  make in long run? Your thoughts please!

he is the smith of the 7. i expect to see a representation of the 7 fighting the white walkers.

the father : jon snow

the mother: danaerys

the smith: genry

the warrior: sandor

the maiden: brienne

the crone: melissandre

the stranger: 3ER

On 8/25/2017 at 5:10 AM, Jaehaerys Stark said:

Assuming Jon/Dany win the throne after defeating the WW, Gendry is bound to be legitimized by Dany/Jon (assuming he lives through the Great War), given Storm's End, and will be named Lord of the Stormlands and Warden of the South.  It is known...

This is probably right. My theory on the book character is that he's basically there as sort of a world building set piece so that at the end, in the epilogue or whatever, there will be some mention of him as being legitimized and given Storm's End, which will make sense for readers because we'll remember him from his journey with Arya.

39 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

where is he, btw? We have to assume that he run and survived the attack of the Wall?

I assume that Davos and Jon sent him to Winterfell last week. Not a good idea to bring him to the meeting with Cersei. Davos after all told him to be Clovis, a smith for WF. He's a fast runner and it was several days at least for Jonerys to sail from Eastwatch to Dragonstone and to KL, back to DS and now to White Harbor. Think he pops up in WF first episode of S8.

@Booknerd2 I agree with your comparison to his aFfC Cameo. The moment that Brienne arrives at the Crossroads Inn (aka Orphans Inn), it's nothing but Arya, Arya, Arya, Arya. It's as if Gendry surrounds himself with it as a reminder.

Epi 6 used a Arya-Gendry theme: in the books Gendry's said to be "strong", but Arya's "quicker". They boast about it when Arya challenged him the first time to a duel, at that inn, before the Gold Cloaks show up. At the Acorn Hall tumble in the smithy, Gendry's the strong one, and Arya's quicker. As there is a pattern of verbal or physical tiffs between them (where at least it's play from Gendry), the Acorn Hall tumble is far more intense, as he calls her nice in a nice dress, almost looking like a "proper" girl, and how she smells nice too. But it strongly leaves an impression that the two would have another tumble in the future (a rain check). Arya beats him for being quicker and kneeing him. When he volunteers for the BwB, they warn him "you won't be stealing any kisses of a princess." In order for him to steal a kiss from Princess Arya, he'd need to be as fast as her.

Back to the show: For some reason Jon calls Gendry the "fastest", and sure, he runs faster than the Flash. Meanwhile we have an unrealistically strong Arya who can parry a blow by Brienne's heavy longsword (training one with blunted tip), and in the finale Sansa calls her the "stronger one". (courtesy Meera of Tarth). Given the duel with Brienne, yes, Gendry needs to be the fastest one, if he were ever to have a tumble scene with Arya and steal a kiss from the princess (a smithy tumble scene they didn't do in S3. At the time the actress and Arya were still very young and might have looked too physical exciting)

Then we have Brienne also telling the Hound that Arya's in no need of protection anymore, but the one standing in her way or stopping her would require protection. And the Hound smiles proud like a father about that. Except we once saw Gendry stop Arya before: from killing the Hound after he defeated Beric. We could imagine Arya wanting to steal off to strike a name of her list, especially when it becomes clear that Cersei lied. Only one who'd like to run after her and stop her is Gendry. She's never angry with Gendry over that in S3 (as she is with Lem in the books) for stopping her from killing Sandor, and while hurt, she's also understanding of his choice with the BwB and puts Beric and Thoros on her list for selling him to the witch. So, I can't see her be angry or remain angry with him if he stops her for going to say take Cersei's face. I think that was the allusion of the smashed faces by the hammer in epi 5.

Then in epi5 and  6 we also have Arya saying something about pretty things, pretty dresses, and Cersei's pretty face. The Acorn Hall scene is one of the few occasions that we see Arya wear a dress (and after she ruins the first one with the fight, she gets even a prettier one, purple with baby pearls), Lady Smallwood calls her pretty, etc... I'm half expecting Sansa to coax Arya into wearing a dress and doing her hair in S8. Oh and we had Thoros call Gendry a "proper lad", (a mirror of "proper girl").

So, they're meta-mixing some keywords about these two over and over since Gendry's reappearance.

12 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I assume that Davos and Jon sent him to Winterfell last week. Not a good idea to bring him to the meeting with Cersei. Davos after all told him to be Clovis, a smith for WF. He's a fast runner and it was several days at least for Jonerys to sail from Eastwatch to Dragonstone and to KL, back to DS and now to White Harbor. Think he pops up in WF first episode of S8.

It could be. If not, I suppose he just runned away when Tormund said "Run".

I don't like not knowing how the travelogues Works. But Sam returned in two episodes, so it's a fair assumption. Two epis.

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I don't like not knowing how the travelogues Works. But Sam returned in two episodes, so it's a fair assumption. Two epis.

Or maybe Tormund or Beric had Gendry run all the way to Winterfell and send a raven to Jon and Dany.

2 minutes ago, Butterwell said:

Or maybe Tormund or Beric had Gendry run all the way to Winterfell and send a raven to Jon and Dany.

Could be, but this just after the wight episode no? That would explain why he was not there with them, apparently.

24 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

He wanted to fight with and for Jon, not the Watch. Davos wanted him at WF. We don't even see him at the end of epi 6 when the Hound loads the wight on the sloop. He sent the exhausted Gendry to WF then already imo. If they had wanted to kill him off, they'd have shown it to us.

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

He wanted to fight with and for Jon, not the Watch. Davos wanted him at WF. We don't even see him at the end of epi 6 when the Hound loads the wight on the sloop. He sent the exhausted Gendry to WF then already imo. If they had wanted to kill him off, they'd have shown it to us.

No, I don't think they killed him. It actually makes sense this way because of what Davos had said in previous episodes.

BTW...in this episode Arya was the strongest ;)

2 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

No, I don't think they killed him. It actually makes sense this way because of what Davos had said in previous episodes.

BTW...in this episode Arya was the strongest ;)

Yup: fastest - strongest. :agree:

On 8/25/2017 at 7:22 AM, Tywinelle said:

The problem remains that there is no way for him to prove that he's Robert's bastard, unless one of the books or scrolls Sam stole from the Citadel mentions a black haired boy born to King Robert and a yellow haired scrubber from Flea Bottom, who was apprenticed to a blacksmith and made an amazing bull's head helmet.

actually davos is the proof. he was their when stannis acknowledge gendry as roberts's bastard and his own nephew. and its not like there many people left who are going to challenge the ruling of jon and dany.

On 8/25/2017 at 4:22 PM, lakin1013 said:

I agree with Gendry being legitimized but why do we need to wait for Dany?  Jon is King in the North.  He can legitimize Gendry whenever he wants to. 

but jon's authority extends only throughout the north. sure, he could legit gendry, but no one in the stormlands would be obligated to recognise the declaration of the King in the North. but dany would queen of the seven kingdoms, and her authority  would cover the stormlands. that declaration they would have to recognize.

Archived