What is the role of Gendry?

JMMapelwood

On 3/7/2018 at 1:54 AM, goldenmaps said:

The more I think about it, the more i wish that it would happen.  I only thought about it after hearing about what happened to Argella.  I have great respect for her and find her to be a strong woman making the best of the situation.  

I don't think they will use the Durrandon name or even the legacy of the storm kings in the show.  If GRMM decides that the Lord of Storm's End will use the Durrandon name I would be pleasantly surprised.  If the show decides to use that name I would be shocked.  

No, they definitely won't but if it happened in the book it would be really good.

I had to check the wikia cause I didn't know the whole story, I thought she just had married Orys.

Full disclosure, I have not read all 13 pages of this thread. Feel free to chastise me if I am simply repeating posts that have come before.

There are many possibilities for this character. He is undeniably the last character with Baratheon blood. This is important for many reasons but my personal theory (and one that has gained some momentum over the years in the fandom) is that Gendry is actually the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei and therefore the True heir to the Iron Throne (R+C=G).

There are also theories suggesting that Gendry is actually the Prince that Was Promised, Azor Ahai reborn. But with any Azor Ahai theory there is so much supposition and metaphor. You essentially see what you want to see.

Then there is his skill as a blacksmith and his apprenticeship to one of the few Masters who can rework valyrian steel. This could be quite useful as people have speculated for ages that someone will figure out how to create new valyrian steel (as the process has been lost).

And finally, his relationship with Arya Stark. People have been shipping it since season 2 (myself included).

This is all to say that there are many possibilities for this character in the upcoming season. Underestimate his importance at your own peril.

33 minutes ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

Full disclosure, I have not read all 13 pages of this thread. Feel free to chastise me if I am simply repeating posts that have come before.

There are many possibilities for this character. He is undeniably the last character with Baratheon blood. This is important for many reasons but my personal theory (and one that has gained some momentum over the years in the fandom) is that Gendry is actually the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei and therefore the True heir to the Iron Throne (R+C=G).

There are also theories suggesting that Gendry is actually the Prince that Was Promised, Azor Ahai reborn. But with any Azor Ahai theory there is so much supposition and metaphor. You essentially see what you want to see.

Then there is his skill as a blacksmith and his apprenticeship to one of the few Masters who can rework valyrian steel. This could be quite useful as people have speculated for ages that someone will figure out how to create new valyrian steel (as the process has been lost).

And finally, his relationship with Arya Stark. People have been shipping it since season 2 (myself included).

This is all to say that there are many possibilities for this character in the upcoming season. Underestimate his importance at your own peril.

Those are the main theories going around with Gendry.  I don't subscribe to the Azor Ahai theory.  I think that would either be Jon or Dany tbh.

I also don't subscribe to him being the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei.  I think a lot of people want Gendry to be legitimate.  If we go by the books, Book Cersei hated Robert so much that she aborted any fetus that might be Robert's.  She hated him since her wedding night.  The only thing Cersei and Gendry's mother had in common is the color of their hair.  I doubt Cersei sang to Gendry.  In the books, she wanted him dead.  I do think we don't know anything about Gendry's mother since she died when he was young.  She might be important, i really don't know unless we get more information.

Valyrian Steel, his relationship with Arya and being the last person with Baratheon blood might come into play.  i don't rule any of that out.  I do agree there are many possiblilities with the character and that he would have a role to play in season 8.

14 hours ago, goldenmaps said:

I also don't subscribe to him being the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei.  I think a lot of people want Gendry to be legitimate.  If we go by the books, Book Cersei hated Robert so much that she aborted any fetus that might be Robert's.  She hated him since her wedding night.  The only thing Cersei and Gendry's mother had in common is the color of their hair.  I doubt Cersei sang to Gendry.  In the books, she wanted him dead.  I do think we don't know anything about Gendry's mother since she died when he was young.  She might be important, i really don't know unless we get more information.

I understand your reasoning. But I will point out that the TV show and the books a very different in sooo many ways. Gendry himself is an amalgum of at least two other characters from the books. And the show went out of it's way to provide context for this theory with Cersei describing her first child with Robert, Gendry describing what he remembers of his mother, Jaimie mentioning that she used to sneak out of the Red Keep dressed like a tavern wench and Cersei's reaction when she found out Joffry had Robert's bastards killed. It all fits far too convieniently. Plus Gendry has been mirroring Jon Snow, just as Robert and Eddard had similar upbringings. Jon and Gendry, both raised as bastards, both of Noble descent, both working together for a common good just as their fathers did. It all works too well to be coincidence. But that's just my opinion.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:37 PM, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

I understand your reasoning. But I will point out that the TV show and the books a very different in sooo many ways. Gendry himself is an amalgum of at least two other characters from the books. And the show went out of it's way to provide context for this theory with Cersei describing her first child with Robert, Gendry describing what he remembers of his mother, Jaimie mentioning that she used to sneak out of the Red Keep dressed like a tavern wench and Cersei's reaction when she found out Joffry had Robert's bastards killed. It all fits far too convieniently. Plus Gendry has been mirroring Jon Snow, just as Robert and Eddard had similar upbringings. Jon and Gendry, both raised as bastards, both of Noble descent, both working together for a common good just as their fathers did. It all works too well to be coincidence. But that's just my opinion.

I'm going more from the books than the show.  The producers stated that they are going with GRRM's ending, and I assume that they know Cersei's ending because she is a major character.  In the books, she detested Robert and aborted his children.  She hated him since their wedding night when he said Lyanna's name.  She did kill his bastards in the books.  I am also going from the Maggy the Frog prophecy which stated that she would only have three children and she wouldn't have a child by the king. 

I believe the producers of the show were softening Cersei so they had Joffrey kill the bastards instead of Cersei.  I think they just wanted the viewers to sympathize with Cersei and paint her as less of a villain.  In the show it seemed that she mourned her black haired child.  If the heir to the throne is sick, I bet the court will watch that baby very carefully.  Also, if Cersei is Gendry's mother, she left him to be a poor, unloved blacksmith.  That would paint her as more of a villain.  I think that is the opposite of the producer's intent.  They wanted to paint her as less of a villain, not more.

All we know about Gendry's mother is that she sang to him and had yellow hair.  i do have a feeling that she might be important in some way since we don't know much about her.  I feel that Gendry's mother is important in the endgame for some reason.  I just don't believe that Cersei is his mother just because of her hatred of Robert.  I can't see how the Queen can get away with a secret pregnancy since having an heir is important and she would be constantly watched.  The court would know when the Queen had her periods.  They made a big deal about Sansa getting her period. 

Of course I could be wrong and will be shocked if Cersei is Gendry's mother.  It would actually be funny considering how much Arya hates Cersei.  i think it's wishful thinking that Gendry will be trueborn.

I think the books are going for a parallel between Gendry and Orys.  Orys is the founder of the Baratheon dynasty and he was a bastard.  Gendry is the last Baratheon and he is a bastard.  I think the books are going with Gendry being baseborn and not trueborn. 

Also there was a quote from Jon about how bastards get the arms but not the name, and how women get the name but not the arms.  We know that Jon is not a bastard.  But that quote applies to Gendry and Arya.  Arya does get the arms (Needle) and i feel that Gendry will get the name, even if he is a bastard.

Gendry deserves better than having Cersei as his mother.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel that the show is getting ready for a lot of neatly packaged happy endings!

One that I predict is that Gendry will be legitimized as a Baratheon and made the new Lord of Storm's End, restoring the family line.  Gendry in the show is more Edric Storm than Gendry Waters at this time.  Will he marry Arya?  Possibly!

A new interview to Joe Dempsie:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/06/game-thrones-joe-dempsie-teases-unexpected-satisfying-end-season-8-7446643/#mv-a

‘I’ve not envied [showrunners] David Benioff and Dan Weiss the task of having to find a way to bring this phenomenon to a conclusion that is both satisfying for the majority of the fans but also unpredictable.’ He added: ‘I’m sure David and Dan don’t pay too much attention to people’s theories and speculation there is all over the internet, but it would be a bit of an anti-climax if a well popularised theory turned out to be the way it ended. ‘There’s many pitfalls and I think they really have achieved that with this. It’s an ending I don’t think many people will be expecting and I think, on reflection, people will really, really enjoy

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

No, I mean, because of that reason, I'd really want to be him to be King. And he'd be a great one.

I want good things for the character too.  But, I like Jon so I'm ok for him being king.  I do think that Gendry (and Arya) will be great rulers and I want him to rule a region at least.  The happiest outcome for Gendry i think is if he has a family. 

Blood lines.  I always thought that Gendry is the last Baratheon and was on the show to carry the blood line.  Martin is a world builder supreme and he clearly has ideas about the characters we have left and how the future might look.  At the current moment, we have key characters who are Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons. Mormonts, and of course Targaryens.  How these characters come shaped by their personal genetic lines, and altered by their life experiences, lead to a world built NOT on an iron throne.  There are only so many episodes left so I do not think Gendry will play much more than a supporting role, perhaps get Storms End, and I see him marrying Sansa (because I personally believe Arya dies)

Tinfoil Note: I also cling to the theory that Gendry is, in fact, the one true child of a Robert/Cersei union.  I find the thought the Cersie produced a good child with Robert to be delightful.

19 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Tinfoil Note: I also cling to the theory that Gendry is, in fact, the one true child of a Robert/Cersei union.  I find the thought the Cersie produced a good child with Robert to be delightful.

Agreed. It would be poetic Justice. Robert's revenge from beyond the grave. The child Cersei never wanted. The true King taking back the throne she stole.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Was chosen to be King because of his Targ bloodlines. We now have two characters that are not bastards, with stronger Targ bloodlines than Gendry. Assuming one of them lives, no way Gendry is King. For that to happen, Gendry would first need to be legitimized (by who), and then Jon and Dany would need to refuse the crown. or both die. 

No way, no how, not in my life time is Gendry Azor Ahai, the Prince that was promised, Cersie's legitimate son, or any of that other hogwash. No foreshadowing, and simply not enough time left to not leave the viewing audience going WTF?

I do think he has a major role to play, with that said. 

54 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

Robert Was chosen to be King because of his Targ bloodlines. We now have two characters that are not bastards, with stronger Targ bloodlines than Gendry. Assuming one of them lives, no way Gendry is King. For that to happen, Gendry would first need to be legitimized (by who), and then Jon and Dany would need to refuse the crown. or both die. 

No way, no how, not in my life time is Gendry Azor Ahai, the Prince that was promised, Cersie's legitimate son, or any of that other hogwash. No foreshadowing, and simply not enough time left to not leave the viewing audience going WTF?

I do think he has a major role to play, with that said. 

I agree gendry does have a big role to play but it isn't to be the king of westeros.  

And its been hinted that Jon and dany will have a kid.  That kid will be the new ruler of westeros, not gendry.

I also have a tinfoil theory that varys knows something about gendry that we don't know yet.  Because I can't think of a reason why varys is still on the show because it seems his role is being taken over by tyrion.  And I don't know why he will save gendry over any of the other bastards in the books.  He didn't need to save him but he did. 

2 hours ago, goldenmaps said:

I agree gendry does have a big role to play but it isn't to be the king of westeros.  

And its been hinted that Jon and dany will have a kid.  That kid will be the new ruler of westeros, not gendry.

You're welcome to your opinion of course, but that ending would be truly tragic. A child of incest, born of a mother who was born of incest, from a family who's inbreeding practices led to many insane monarchs throughout history. That would spell doom for the future of the kingdom. History would be destined to repeat it's self. The people would be forced to Rebel once again. Super dark. 

In my opinion Gendry is the only option. Especially if his mother is Cersei. He would be the rightful King in no need of legitimization.

1 hour ago, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

You're welcome to your opinion of course, but that ending would be truly tragic. A child of incest, born of a mother who was born of incest, from a family who's inbreeding practices led to many insane monarchs throughout history. That would spell doom for the future of the kingdom. History would be destined to repeat it's self. The people would be forced to Rebel once again. Super dark. 

In my opinion Gendry is the only option. Especially if his mother is Cersei. He would be the rightful King in no need of legitimization.

I don't think that Gendry is the son of Cersei, but he'd make a great King an an unexpected and positive ending!

22 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I don't think that Gendry is the son of Cersei, but he'd make a great King an an unexpected and positive ending!

I think Gendry will make a great ruler.  Especially with Arya since those two complement each other and work well together.  And both are better than the last few rulers of Westeros.  At least they care about justice and about smallfolk.  But, I highly doubt that Gendry will be the ruler of Westeros.  It seems that the show and books are heading to a Targ restoration. 

My tinfoil hat wild speculation about Gendry is that he will be the Lord of the Stormlands AND Arya will be the ruler of the Riverlands and that they will rule both kingdoms together as equals.

Archived