What is the role of Gendry?

JMMapelwood

In the books, Gendry is unlikely to be Tru-born. But in the show, he is - he just is (even if they don’t bother with the reveal).

1. The conversation with Cat where Cersei states that she had a child – “a beautiful black haired boy” who “was taken from me”. Yes, she might be lying, but:

2. The conversation with Fat Bob where they talk about their first child, who they lost. Unless they made this imaginary child up as a game.

These conversations show that Maggie the frog is just wrong and her prediction cannot be used to discount what we know to be true.

D+D have gone out of their way to set this up. Season 1 was pretty faithful to the books, and here we have two complete conversations that don’t appear in the books, that, in fact, go against what was in the books. When Season 1 was written, they 100% created a legitimate son for Robert and Cersei, presumably because they had a plan for him. Why?

--------------------------------------------------

My tinfoil theory?

Gendry will forge Lightbringer, but will not wield it.

A King’s blood has power. And so does a magic sword tempered in a King’s breast.

One other thing:

If Gendry is just a bastard prince why did burning his Blood-Leaches have such a huge impact and burning Shireen little or none? Because Gendry is the true born heir - as yet uncrowned - but King nonetheless.

This means that Stannis has no valid claim and Shireen was not a princess. Sadly, that scene was just another clue to Gendry’s true status.

1 hour ago, Timm said:

If Gendry is just a bastard prince why did burning his Blood-Leaches have such a huge impact

He has royal blood nonetheless. I don't see any problems here, bastard or trueborn does not matter for magic relying on blood. Blood and official status are entirely different things. 

Cersei wanted to have Gendry killed when they killed all of Robert's bastards. This is not consistent with Gendry being Cerseis son. 

1 hour ago, Timm said:

These conversations show that Maggie the frog is just wrong and her prediction cannot be used

At least the book prophecies wil be reliable.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:50 PM, Kajjo said:

He has royal blood nonetheless. I don't see any problems here, bastard or trueborn does not matter for magic relying on blood. Blood and official status are entirely different things. 

Cersei wanted to have Gendry killed when they killed all of Robert's bastards. This is not consistent with Gendry being Cerseis son. 

At least the book prophecies wil be reliable.

Doubtful, because the prophecies from the earlier books won't be fulfilled simply because there won't be other books to fulfill them!

19 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

Doubtful, because the prophecies from the earlier books won't be fulfilled simply because there won't be other books to fulfill them!

Well, GRRM stands fully behind the prophecies and GRRM and DD promised the book end and show end will be compatible, even if the path leading to the end might deviate to a certain degree. I believe they will do so.

Even if the lasst books will never be published, I still believe that all important prophecies will play out. Daenerys' prophecies (visions in the House of the Undying) will at least, because they have been in the show, The PTWP does not play an important role in the show, so maybe they shortcut this somehow. 

By the way, I sincerely believe, GRRM intentionally did not publish the last books before end of the show. It's a wise move economically, and a great move tension-wise for all watchers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 5:40 AM, Timm said:

One other thing:

If Gendry is just a bastard prince why did burning his Blood-Leaches have such a huge impact and burning Shireen little or none? Because Gendry is the true born heir - as yet uncrowned - but King nonetheless.

This means that Stannis has no valid claim and Shireen was not a princess. Sadly, that scene was just another clue to Gendry’s true status.

Um. What show were you watching? Shireen's sacrifice postponed Winter. That's huge! Everything that happened in the North the last two seasons would just not. Jon wouldn't have been able to leave Castle Black. The Bolton's would have been frozen in Winterfell. The North would have remained divided and unprepared. Plus the Snow would have continued South freezing transport of supplies and preventing troop movements. There is no single act as significant as Shireen's sacrifice. Westeros would have been doomed otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 2:13 AM, Lord Stannis-The True King said:

Um. What show were you watching? Shireen's sacrifice postponed Winter. That's huge! Everything that happened in the North the last two seasons would just not. Jon wouldn't have been able to leave Castle Black. The Bolton's would have been frozen in Winterfell. The North would have remained divided and unprepared. Plus the Snow would have continued South freezing transport of supplies and preventing troop movements. There is no single act as significant as Shireen's sacrifice. Westeros would have been doomed otherwise. 

Well, I'd say Gendry's blood had much more impact on the show than Shireen's, technically speaking.

48 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Well, I'd say Gendry's blood had much more impact on the show than Shireen's, technically speaking.

They were both important to be sure. However, I can see scenarios where the white walkers are defeated without the death's of Robb, Joffry and Balon. I cannot see how humanity prevails without pushing Winter back. Westeros was so nearly out of time.

• 4 weeks later...

I do like the idea of a King Gendry with his Queen Arya.  I don't think that it would happen even though I think both will be good rulers.  I will just be happy with the implication that they have a future together.  I'm not really a fan of them ruling the Stormlands since Gendry hasn't set foot there in the books or the show.  I would rather have Brienne be the ruler of the Stormlands since she grew up there.  For me personally, I would rather have Gendry and Arya have their future either in the North or in the Riverlands (in the books both have spent a significant amount of time in this region). 

6 hours ago, goldenmaps said:

I do like the idea of a King Gendry with his Queen Arya.  I don't think that it would happen even though I think both will be good rulers.  I will just be happy with the implication that they have a future together.  I'm not really a fan of them ruling the Stormlands since Gendry hasn't set foot there in the books or the show.  I would rather have Brienne be the ruler of the Stormlands since she grew up there.  For me personally, I would rather have Gendry and Arya have their future either in the North or in the Riverlands (in the books both have spent a significant amount of time in this region). 

Gendry and Arya good rulers? Gendry didn't have an education other than smithing and is probably illiterate, Arya is a psychopath, and both have no experience in leading or ruling anything. Not sure where you are getting the idea that they would be good rulers.

On 3/3/2019 at 4:10 PM, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

Gendry is the last stag and so hopefully storms end will be his after the wars to come.  

This. When Jon sets up the new control regime in Westeros, Gendry will be given Storms End as an ally of Jon (in the cartoon show).

In the books it gets alot more complex, and I dont think Gendry will be shown to a true heir and will go the way of many GRRM characters - a sad end. I think his true book role was just to give Arya some humanity.

4 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

This. When Jon sets up the new control regime in Westeros, Gendry will be given Storms End as an ally of Jon (in the cartoon show).

In the books it gets alot more complex, and I dont think Gendry will be shown to a true heir and will go the way of many GRRM characters - a sad end. I think his true book role was just to give Arya some humanity.

You mean, in the "Books that were promised", don't you?

https://giphy.com/gifs/erNeFhw83IkTe/html5

On 8/25/2017 at 8:02 AM, Jordan La Cabra said:

But it would be based on the word of Ned Stark, Stannis Baratheon, Davos Seaworth and presumably Jon, who seemed to believe it easily enough when Gendry told him that he was Robert's son. I doubt there will ever be hardcore evidence; they'll likely have to go on word of mouth. That's if it happens at all. Gendry could be killed off. I just think the show will want to bring back House Baratheon, as it was one of the four main houses at the start of the show.

Varys would know - Varys and his little birds seem to know everything.

Article on Gendry in S8 from Joe Dempsie:

Gendry's "potential significance [has become] more and more apparent, and potential is an important word." ... "There’s a lot of elements of his character and his parentage that make him potentially powerful or dangerous, and he’s constantly learning more about himself. It’s almost impossible to know where he’s going to go now, based on both his ‘political’ clout, if he ever learns who he is, and his personality."

"The thing about Dany that we’re seeing is her unpredictability now — you just never know what she’s going to do,. What’s this quest for further power doing to her? Sometimes I don’t even know what she would do. She would just as likely marry Gendry as burn him alive."

Dempsie: "he's sort of been a slow burner, hasn't he" <--clever play on words if he burns?? lol

Archived