What is the role of Gendry?

JMMapelwood

2 hours ago, Kajjo said:

My problem is that Tywin tells Jamie he invited a blacksmith from Volantis. And Tobho Mott had his shop since many years and is well known to both Tywin and Jamie. Mott is a very good blacksmith. So, if it was Mott in the show, Tywin intentionally hold back the truth or it is not Mott in the show.

I already responded to this objection. Did you read my posts above? Tywin did not say WHEN. So he invited Mott from Volantis way back when he was Hand to Aerys because he has wanted a Valyrian steel sword for a VERY long time. He has had the goal of buying or taking one for decades and always intended to rework it to make a Lannister sword.

Mott, having been brought over decades ago, had plenty of time to become established in KL.

21 hours ago, Hippocras said:

I already responded to this objection. Did you read my posts above? Tywin did not say WHEN.

Of course I read that. I don't like it. It makes no sense to me linguistically. No one would express it that way. Anyway, maybe they idn't think enough about the dialogue and it is sort of a plot-hole. Or it might unimportant altogether.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Of course I read that. I don't like it. It makes no sense to me linguistically. No one would express it that way. Anyway, maybe they idn't think enough about the dialogue and it is sort of a plot-hole. Or it might unimportant altogether.

Well I agree it is not particularly important. Mott provides one means by which Gendry’s eventual knowledge might be (have been) acquired, but it is not the only way for Gendry to learn it. I still believe he will do some reforging., because if he was not destined for this his story would not be tied to that of Beric Dondarion, Thoros, Sandor and Brienne, etc. his arc is intimately tied to the issue of the flaming sword.

On 4/8/2019 at 12:17 AM, Error-504 said:

Yes, he is the one that turned Ice into Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. 

On 4/9/2019 at 5:40 PM, Kajjo said:

Is he? I believe, he isn't, at least not in the show.

Tywin Lannister explains to Jamie that he brought a Volantene blacksmith to King's Landing to reforge the Valyrian steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCItXEFnen0

In the books Tobho reforgerd Ice. I think that in the show he's killed in S1 IIRC. The soldiers search for Robert's bastards and get into the forge to discover Gendry's whereabouts. And they know exactly where to go look for him. Just not sure whether Tobho died onscreen, might have been offscreen: Joffrey would have considered anyone harboring Robert's bastards a traitor, or something along those lines. Do the soliders coming to arrest Gendry mention something?

3 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Just not sure whether Tobho died onscreen, might have been offscreen

He didn't die in the show, He lives.

The City Watch tortures him and he tells him that Gendry fled with this peculiar helmet.

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

He didn't die in the show, He lives.

The City Watch tortures him and he tells him that Gendry fled with this peculiar helmet.

Ok, I stand corrected. I just saw a scene flahs by in memory of soldiers barging into his shop to know Gendry's whereabouts, and perhaps because we didn't see him ever again I ended up assuming Mott was dead in show-universe.

Gendry for Arya, "it was remembering who she was before. I used to be that girl and that's who I was love with and thought I'd follow to the end of the world."

After all she has been through, Gendry is the spark of humanity/love that grounds Arya in normalcy. He is her smith to Arya's moonmaid. I am sure any long term revelations won't happen until after this battle with the Others. That means at least two more, maaybe 1.5 more, episodes until we see this flourish.

The quote came from this link below \/, and sorry but I don't know how to just add the video link and not a Twitter link.

39 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Gendry for Arya, "it was remembering who she was before. I used to be that girl and that's who I was love with and thought I'd follow to the end of the world."

After all she has been through, Gendry is the spark of humanity/love that grounds Arya in normalcy. He is her smith to Arya's moonmaid. I am sure any long term revelations won't happen until after this battle with the Others. That means at least two more, maaybe 1.5 more, episodes until we see this flourish.

The quote came from this link below \/, and sorry but I don't know how to just add the video link and not a Twitter link.

Yes, her interaction with Gendry seemed to help her best to get back in touch with that part of herself that is Arya. He is the one who experienced most of the dreadful things she witnessed and went through in the Riverlands apart from Sandor. The difference is that Sandor was also the one who started to promote the hardening her. Gendry didn't, but he never condemned her either for being angry and citing a list of names. So, Gendry is the bridge between the moment she could be Arya and upset and fearful and angry, AND the moment she returned to WF as cold-hearted assassin.

I expect her to shed that assassin personna more and more over the next episodes.

7 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

After all she has been through, Gendry is the spark of humanity/love that grounds Arya in normalcy.

I believe this to be overd-dramatized, over-interpreted. 

I love Game of Thrones because it does not paint things in black or white, but with a astounding complexity of subtle details. 

Aryas arc is from sweet tomboy to toughened assassine. Yes, that's right. At least in the show we have no indication at all that Arya lost any of her humanity. She does not kill Lady Crane, conscious of the consequences this will have. In the show she kills not arbitrarily, but only ticking of her "list". Meryn Trant, the Freys. She acts very human and humane for someone who hast lost so many dear people in so young an age.

When meeting the Lannisters soldiers (Ed Sheeran group) she does not feel cold or inhumane. The further she gets back to Winterfell, the more Stark she is once again. 

She has her initial problems with Sansa in S7, but the pack remembers and unites. This is a Winterfell development, a regaining her normalcy back then. She smiles sparring with Brienne, she is very warm and moved on the ramparts with Sansa end of S7 when remembering their father.

Gendry makes her remember the beginning of her journey. One of the last man that was protective of her and good to her. Someone to talk with in a light mood. She was a 12/13-year-old girl back than and yes, she might have swoon over Gendry a bit. Love is something altogether different, only that some people far-to-easily call it "love" when other people would talk about swooning, having a crush or infatuation. There wasn't more than that back then. She was sad that he left her, because he was the only one that somehow felt like a real friend and she developed some feelings for him.

But yes, we saw her flirting with Gendry, reliving some moments of the past, becoming a little bit the "rich noble girl" of the past. Maybe a nice feeling for her.

16 hours ago, Kajjo said:

I believe this to be overd-dramatized, over-interpreted. 

Well, it sorta has to be because there is a certain portion of the fandom that swears Arya is forever lost and she lost it/never had it (meaning humanity) all along. Arya keeping Needle is testament that she is just waiting for the moment to regain herself.

I love Game of Thrones because it does not paint things in black or white, but with a astounding complexity of subtle details. 

Aryas arc is from sweet tomboy to toughened assassine. Yes, that's right. At least in the show we have no indication at all that Arya lost any of her humanity. She does not kill Lady Crane, conscious of the consequences this will have. In the show she kills not arbitrarily, but only ticking of her "list". Meryn Trant, the Freys. She acts very human and humane for someone who hast lost so many dear people in so young an age.

When meeting the Lannisters soldiers (Ed Sheeran group) she does not feel cold or inhumane. The further she gets back to Winterfell, the more Stark she is once again. 

She has her initial problems with Sansa in S7, but the pack remembers and unites. This is a Winterfell development, a regaining her normalcy back then. She smiles sparring with Brienne, she is very warm and moved on the ramparts with Sansa end of S7 when remembering their father.

But she will need a "mate" at some point and Gendry has already established himself as a partner to Arya. He experienced many of the same early trials that she did so he has a first-hand understanding of Arya's history and won't judge (something book-wise she has been worried about). Arya is a Nymeria figure, she is still a young woman (in the show), she will want physical companionship... especially if they both make it after the Others attack and humanity will need to start rebuilding.

Ugh! Don't get me started on that cray-cray lady Crane sequence. That was a piss poor example of anything positive or even womanly that the D's came up with. Arya was probably more scared that lady Crane would stab her if she did anything wrong.

Gendry makes her remember the beginning of her journey. One of the last man that was protective of her and good to her. Someone to talk with in a light mood. She was a 12/13-year-old girl back than and yes, she might have swoon over Gendry a bit. Love is something altogether different, only that some people far-to-easily call it "love" when other people would talk about swooning, having a crush or infatuation. There wasn't more than that back then. She was sad that he left her, because he was the only one that somehow felt like a real friend and she developed some feelings for him.

There was more back then. In the books Tom O'Sevens even writes a song about the two of them. A song that fits GRRM's established narrative of what burgeoning relationships look like. The long lasting relationships in Martinworld are always a slow-burn start and they don't die out quickly. That is one way we know Ygritte was never going to make it:

• A Storm of Swords - Jon X

"She's dead."

"Aye?" Tormund gave a sad shake of the head. "A waste. If I'd been ten years younger, I'd have stolen her meself. That hair she had. Well, the hottest fires burn out quickest." He lifted the skin of mead. "To Ygritte, kissed by fire!" He drank deep.

"To Ygritte, kissed by fire," Jon repeated when Tormund handed him back the skin. He drank even deeper.

I totally agree Arya was sad when Gendry left her. She was stripped of a pack once again, but for the story (and GRRM's typical plot style), it had to be done. Things are coming back around, all roads lead to home, and at home is Gendry the smith to Arya the moonmaid.

But yes, we saw her flirting with Gendry, reliving some moments of the past, becoming a little bit the "rich noble girl" of the past. Maybe a nice feeling for her.

I agree. Something she has not felt in years at this point. I, for one, am ready to see the happier side of Arya come back to light :)

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

But she will need a "mate" at some point and Gendry has already established himself

Yes, maybe. Gendry back then was a pal to her, they experienced adventures together what might lead to romantic interest. So far I can buy it. And he is a kind, pragmatic, competent young man.

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

still a young woman (in the show), she will want physical companionship.

What a careful phrasing ;-) Maybe she even wants sex. ;-)

6 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Don't get me started on that cray-cray lady Crane sequence. That was a piss poor example of anything positive or even womanly that the D's came up with. Arya was probably more scared that lady Crane would stab her if she did anything wrong.

Sorry, I don't understand that paragraph. Can you elaborate a little bit on this thought? Lady Crane was the actress that Arya was supposed to kill to pass her examination as faceless man. Arya poisened the rum bottle, but couldn't stand it and saved Lady Crane. What has that to do with Lady Crane stabbing her?! Lady Crane has a good heart and is an excellent actress and in turn saves and heals Arya later. 

This shows that Arya has compassion and humanity left in her. Arya is Arya, with re-acquiring Needle and all.

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I totally agree Arya was sad when Gendry left her. She was stripped of a pack once again, but for the story (and GRRM's typical plot style), it had to be done. Things are coming back around, all roads lead to home, and at home is Gendry the smith to Arya the moonmaid.

Yes, I guess it will work out that way, now that we have seen Arya flirting with Gendry. 

14 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Yes, maybe. Gendry back then was a pal to her, they experienced adventures together what might lead to romantic interest. So far I can buy it. And he is a kind, pragmatic, competent young man.

What a careful phrasing ;-) Maybe she even wants sex. ;-)

:leer:

Sorry, I don't understand that paragraph. Can you elaborate a little bit on this thought? Lady Crane was the actress that Arya was supposed to kill to pass her examination as faceless man. Arya poisened the rum bottle, but couldn't stand it and saved Lady Crane. What has that to do with Lady Crane stabbing her?! Lady Crane has a good heart and is an excellent actress and in turn saves and heals Arya later. 

Eh, not to turn this in to a Lady Crane thread, but I feel rather differently about the Lady Crane character. She was not very stable in my opinion. Not that Arya made a good or bad decision there, I think the fault is in the dialogue and plot choice. Lady Crane apparently was good at stitched because she was so good at stabbing, and she disfigured the other actress' face. Again, she seems to be a (gross) extreme example of the D's not writing most woman very well.

Now, real life actress Essie Davis is phenomenal. I love her in everything she does.

This shows that Arya has compassion and humanity left in her. Arya is Arya, with re-acquiring Needle and all.

Yes, I guess it will work out that way, now that we have seen Arya flirting with Gendry. 

It will be interesting watching how the show takes this arc with Arya as episodes progress. Arya and Bran are the only ones I really watch for at this point.

1 hour ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Oh and it happened again in the drogon-dragon stare scene.

Dany: "Don't be afraid"

Drogon: [exhales sharply and stares at Jon]

Next scene: a Gendry scene and a shot of fire

Well, that's one sure-fire way to get the Stark's to fight you. The Baratheon/Stark alliance is legendary. There's no way the North would support a Targarian over a Baratheon.

27 minutes ago, gibberish said:

When Gendry and Sansa meet its going to be love at first sight. 

It's actually my prediction they will end up ruling the Seven Kingdoms together. I believe Gendry will love Arya but will choose to marry Sansa for the good of the Kingdom as she has all the political knowledge necessary for the foundation of a stable and just administration. Their union will parrallel that of Catlyn and Eddard. Two people with no affection in a political union. Grendry will choose the selfless path and give up his love for his duty, just as his uncle did.

Archived