Jump to content
JMMapelwood

What is the role of Gendry?

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Maybe. Hard to see Arya settling down though. He could be Azor Ahai, reborn amidst the salt of rowing blackwater bay and the smoke of the street of steel. :P

If only! It would be ineteresting if Azor Ahai, if he has to be someone, was someone different to Jon or Dany...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

If only! It would be ineteresting if Azor Ahai, if he has to be someone, was someone different to Jon or Dany...

Davos is actually my favorite darkhorse AAR candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 10:05 AM, Faceless Man Friday said:

Why do I say Gendry is Henry Tudor?  Well first I have to say I am not convinced that he is but he may be.  First reason, Like Henry if Gendry was to gain the throne, he would be an unlikely candidate with a tenuous claim who emerged at the end of the Wars after all the better claimants were eliminated.  Second reason, GRRM isn't past pulling in a minor character to win the throne, especially when you realize the story never was about who would finally sit on the throne.  He has done it before.  Read his novella, The Princess and the Queen, and see how that ended.

"Aegon" is Henry Tudor(fused with Perkin Warbeck).

Besides, GRRM is a Ricardian. If you think it'll be a more minor character taking the throne it'll probably Sansa + Edric Storm then not Gendry. 

I say this as a person that likes Gendry more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 6:50 PM, Lord_Ravenstone said:

"Aegon" is Henry Tudor(fused with Perkin Warbeck).

I thought Dany was the Henry Tudor parallel.  That Aegon from the books is the Perkin Warbeck character.

I thought that Gendry was the hidden prince who is better than the actual crown prince.  He is the opposite of Joffrey.  Joffrey who thinks he is the son of Robert, but who in actuality is the product of incest.  He is mean and cruel and abuses his power and seeking his father's approval.  Gendry doesn't know who his father is when he was with Arya and in the books is not looking for his father's approval.  Gendry has no power to abuse but he still looks out for the little guy.  Joffrey taunts and treats Sansa like dirt.  Gendry is kind and tries to protect Arya.

Most likely he will be the suitable suitor for Arya. 

Edited by goldenmaps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goldenmaps said:

I thought Dany was the Henry Tudor parallel.  That Aegon from the books is the Perkin Warbeck character.

I thought that Gendry was the hidden prince who is better than the actual crown prince.  He is the opposite of Joffrey.  Joffrey who thinks he is the son of Robert, but who in actuality is the product of incest.  He is mean and cruel and abuses his power and seeking his father's approval.  Gendry doesn't know who his father is when he was with Arya and in the books is not looking for his father's approval.  Gendry has no power to abuse but he still looks out for the little guy.  Joffrey taunts and treats Sansa like dirt.  Gendry is kind and tries to protect Arya.

Most likely he will be the suitable suitor for Arya. 

I agree with all that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when gendry said something along the lines of Arya would be 'm'lady' because she socially outranks him was foreshadowing. If gendry somehow gets Strom's end, Arya wouldn't be so far above him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Apoplexy said:

I think when gendry said something along the lines of Arya would be 'm'lady' because she socially outranks him was foreshadowing. If gendry somehow gets Strom's end, Arya wouldn't be so far above him.

Most likely.  Arya doesn't really care about status and she already likes and trusts him.  She is the only person in the highborn world who likes lowborn, bastard blacksmith Gendry.  She likes him before finding out he's Roberts son.  Other people in the highborn world would either kill him or like him after knowing he's Roberts son.  She already thnks they are equals.  She wouldn't care if he is legitimized or a lord. 

Politically it would be a good move for Dany and Jon if they legitimize Gendry and have him marry Arya.  Dany can show she's gracious and won't penalize children of people who hurt her.  They will have a lord that would give them loyalty because he owes his lordship to them.  Jon and Gendry already like each other.  Arya is related to the king and 100% loyal to Jon.  If Jon and Dany have children they would have Arya as a protector.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, goldenmaps said:

I thought Dany was the Henry Tudor parallel.  That Aegon from the books is the Perkin Warbeck character.

I thought that Gendry was the hidden prince who is better than the actual crown prince.  He is the opposite of Joffrey.  Joffrey who thinks he is the son of Robert, but who in actuality is the product of incest.  He is mean and cruel and abuses his power and seeking his father's approval.  Gendry doesn't know who his father is when he was with Arya and in the books is not looking for his father's approval.  Gendry has no power to abuse but he still looks out for the little guy.  Joffrey taunts and treats Sansa like dirt.  Gendry is kind and tries to protect Arya.

Most likely he will be the suitable suitor for Arya. 

Daenerys doesn't have very many parallels with Henry Tudor at all. Like Henry Tudor had an extremely weak claim to the throne of England and GRRM thinks he's the one who had the two princes in the tower killed since he's a Ricardian. (GRRM doesn't seem to like Henry Tudor considering he called Stannis a better version of Henry Tudor)

Henry Tudor/"Aegon" are descended from a legitimized royal bastard line that was disinherited through the female line, their father's line isn't very noble at all,  they're half Welsh/Dornish (GRRM says that Dorne is Wales + Spain), land in their mentor's land (Stormlands for Jon Con and Wales for Jasper Tudor), have a familial ally in their enemy's court (Uncle Varys/ Mama Margaret Beaufort) etc.

No one's 1 for 1 of course so Perkin Warbeck is mixed in with Aegon hence the fake identity.

 

Anyways, Gendry isn't a hidden prince. He's a royal bastard. The hidden prince is Jon Snow.

Also Gendry's not very kind. He's heroic but not nice. He gets that from his uncle Stannis who he actually takes after. Gendry's actually kind of a huge dick:

What would a knight be doing working at a smithy? "You have black hair and blue eyes, and you were born in the shadow of the Red Keep. Has no one ever remarked upon your face?"

"What's wrong with my face? It's not as ugly as yours."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Also Gendry's not very kind. He's heroic but not nice. He gets that from his uncle Stannis who he actually takes after. Gendry's actually kind of a huge dick:

 

 

Oh well, you determine Gendry's personality by one statement while he is caring for several orphans on an organisation of outlaws being lead by the zombie of Catelyn Stark. Brienne didn't deserve that statement, but she was so much insisting on asking questions. He is a survivor, and it's not like Stannis at all in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh well, you determine Gendry's personality by one statement while he is caring for several orphans on an organisation of outlaws being lead by the zombie of Catelyn Stark. Brienne didn't deserve that statement, but she was so much insisting on asking questions. He is a survivor, and it's not like Stannis at all in general.

I already said it. Heroic =/ nice.

But he's also taking care of those orphans on LS' orders too. LS is looking for Arya and she's using Gendry to sort out if she's there. That's the implication anyway. I'm sure he wants to protect them too now that he's friends with them.

Also I meant in the sense that Stannis and Gendry both say whatever they want, the consequences be damned. Like Gendry isn't like Edric Storm at all who has Renly's charm, courtesy and generosity. Gendry is near-constantly bad-tempered similar to uncle Stannis(in addition to the rest including his anti-lord sentiments, his worship of R'hllor, finding justice appealing and his contempt for Robert).

Gendry also tries to get Arya to ditch Weasel, Hot Pie and Lommy:

 

"He's going to die, and the sooner he does it, the better for the rest of us. We should just leave him, like he says. If it was you or me hurt, you know he'd leave us." They scrambled down a steep cut and up the other side, using roots for handholds. "I'm sick of carrying him, and I'm sick of all his talk about yielding too. If he could stand up, I'd knock his teeth in. Lommy's no use to anyone. That crying girl's no use either."
 
"You leave Weasel alone, she's just scared and hungry is all." Arya glanced back, but the girl was not following for once. Hot Pie must have grabbed her, like Gendry had told him.
 
"She's no use," Gendry repeated stubbornly. "Her and Hot Pie and Lommy, they're slowing us down, and they're going to get us killed. You're the only one of the bunch who's good for anything. Even if you are a girl."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I already said it. Heroic =/ nice.

But he's also taking care of those orphans on LS' orders too. LS is looking for Arya and she's using Gendry to sort out if she's there. That's the implication anyway. I'm sure he wants to protect them too now that he's friends with them.

Also I meant in the sense that Stannis and Gendry both say whatever they want, the consequences be damned. Like Gendry isn't like Edric Storm at all who has Renly's charm, courtesy and generosity. Gendry is near-constantly bad-tempered similar to uncle Stannis(in addition to the rest including his anti-lord sentiments, his worship of R'hllor, finding justice appealing and his contempt for Robert).

Gendry also tries to get Arya to ditch Weasel, Hot Pie and Lommy:

He is not near-constantly bad tempered at all, obsessed with R'hllor, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

He is not near-constantly bad tempered at all, obsessed with R'hllor, etc.

The difference is in degree though. 

Gendry frequently acts irritated and well Gendry is probably more devoted to R'hllor than Stannis is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

The difference is in degree though. 

Gendry frequently acts irritated and well Gendry is probably more devoted to R'hllor than Stannis is. 

He is a serious and stubborn person, sure, but he laughes many times when he is with Arya, we see him being happy many times as well.

And more devoted to R'hllor than Stannis?  Where do you see this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

He is a serious and stubborn person, sure, but he laughes many times when he is with Arya, we see him being happy many times as well.

And more devoted to R'hllor than Stannis?  Where do you see this?

Stannis laughs but yes, Gendry is a much happier person than Stannis although that's setting the bar low since Stannis is constantly miserable.

 

As to your second question, Stannis isn't devoted to R'hllor. I'm sure he believes in him but he doesn't really worship him. Even Melisandre says so:

Melisandre: Both men were unbelievers by nature, mistrustful, suspicious. The only gods they truly worshiped were honor and duty.

 

Gendry doesn't have political reasons to pretend to worship R'hllor. He just worships because he wants to so that already means he's more devoted to R'hllor than Stannis. And well, Meribald asks Gendry if he doesn't love the gods and Gendry replies with not his gods meaning there's another deity he loves:

Septon Meribald asked if he might lead the children in a grace, ignoring the small girl crawling naked across the table. "Aye," said Willow, snatching up the crawler before she reached the porridge. So they bowed their heads together and thanked the Father and the Mother for their bounty . . . all but the black-haired boy from the forge, who crossed his arms against his chest and sat glowering as the others prayed. Brienne was not the only one to notice. When the prayer was done Septon Meribald looked across the table, and said, "Do you have no love for the gods, son?"
 
"Not for your gods." Gendry stood abruptly. "I have work to do." He stalked out without a bite of food.
 
"Is there some other god he loves?" asked Hyle Hunt.
 
"The Lord of Light," piped one scrawny boy, nigh to six.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, I certainly had another thing on my mind for "devotion" since you had put that to exemplify a "high degree" of devotion, or being bad-tempered, etc. But well, if that sentence convinces you of that, I can't say anything else.

I reaffirm on my initial idea that he is not unhappy or near-constantly bad-tempered at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

ok, I certainly had another thing on my mind for "devotion" since you had put that to exemplify a "high degree" of devotion, or being bad-tempered, etc. But well, if that sentence convinces you of that, I can't say anything else.

I reaffirm on my initial idea that he is not unhappy or near-constantly bad-tempered at all

This is pretty much his default state especially as the story progresses more:

 

"And though his eyes had been that same deep blue, Lord Renly's eyes had always been warm and welcoming, full of laughter, whereas this boy's eyes brimmed with anger and suspicion."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

This is pretty much his default state especially as the story progresses more:

 

"And though his eyes had been that same deep blue, Lord Renly's eyes had always been warm and welcoming, full of laughter, whereas this boy's eyes brimmed with anger and suspicion."

 

 

No, that's his description from Brienne, after Arya has gone away and he is working for a zombie.....his eyes are not full of anger in other circumstances

Quote

 

You laugh all you like. I'm going to see who's in the village." The sun had already fallen below the trees; dusk would be on them in no time at all. For once it was Gendry who had to hurry after. 

Gendry laughed. "And how do we do that?"

Supper was being served in the hall by the time Arya was all washed and combed and dressed. Gendry took one look and laughed so hard that wine came out his nose, until Harwin gave him a thwack alongside his ear.

Gendry only laughed at the blows, which made her mad.

Arya never describes his eyes this way, not even when they are in dangerous circumstances:

Quote

 

"They'll do you worse. Lord Bolton is giving Harrenhal to the Bloody Mummers, he told me so."
Gendry pushed black hair out of his eyes. "So?
He blinked at her, startled. Strands of thick black hair, still wet from the bathhouse, fell across his deep blue eyes. "I'd hurt you."
"You would not."
When she spied Gendry, his bare chest was slick with sweat, but the blue eyes under the heavy black hair had the stubborn look she remembered

 

.
You see, sometimes stubborn, bc that's part of his personality, but never eyes with anger or suspicion, nor nar-constantly bad-tempered.

 

Edited by Meera of Tarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think his role is more than just fanservice at this point. It's possible he'll forge new VS weapons for the Great War, but I don't see how he'd have the skill to do so. Even if he was an apprentice for Tobho Mott. Maybe he'll inherit Storm's End, but this seems unlikely too considering his derision for highborns. And his lack of knowledge on how to rule a kingdom. It doesn't seem like something he'd want either, even though he's sort of proud of his parentage now. I think his role has more to do with Arya. Season 7 really seemed like it wanted to convey how the Stark girls are growing up, coming into their own and being more open to new things. Such as romance possibly? Not a lot of people seem to think there is room in Arya's arc for romance but I definitely believe it's a possibility. There are romantic undertones between them in the books that the show left out, for good reason considering Maisie was underage. It wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen on the show, it just makes a lot of sense to me. Arya and Gendry already know each other and have established a close friendship, even share trauma with each other. They have a smaller age difference then a lot of other pairings and aren't closely related by blood.

We all know the show isn't the books, but if they were to both survive the war I don't see why they wouldn't link up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Forest Lass said:

I think his role is more than just fanservice at this point. It's possible he'll forge new VS weapons for the Great War, but I don't see how he'd have the skill to do so. Even if he was an apprentice for Tobho Mott. Maybe he'll inherit Storm's End, but this seems unlikely too considering his derision for highborns. And his lack of knowledge on how to rule a kingdom. It doesn't seem like something he'd want either, even though he's sort of proud of his parentage now. I think his role has more to do with Arya. Season 7 really seemed like it wanted to convey how the Stark girls are growing up, coming into their own and being more open to new things. Such as romance possibly? Not a lot of people seem to think there is room in Arya's arc for romance but I definitely believe it's a possibility. There are romantic undertones between them in the books that the show left out, for good reason considering Maisie was underage. It wouldn't be the craziest thing to happen on the show, it just makes a lot of sense to me. Arya and Gendry already know each other and have established a close friendship, even share trauma with each other. They have a smaller age difference then a lot of other pairings and aren't closely related by blood.

We all know the show isn't the books, but if they were to both survive the war I don't see why they wouldn't link up

Agree.  Arya is what 17, 18 in the show.  Why can't she have a romance.  She's at home with her brother and sister and soon would be reunited with Jon.  

I think the show is also giving us small hints that a relationship between Arya and Gendry could happen.  Gendry befriended Jon.  That is a big deal because Jon is her favorite person in the world.  Hot pie called her pretty.  We know that he is less observant than Gendry.  It was mainly to show that she is now a woman and that men can find her attractive.

We already know she had some feelings for him and that he means a lot to her.  They trust each other, have a deep bond and been through a lot together.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×