What is the role of Gendry?

JMMapelwood

4 hours ago, goldenmaps said:

Agree.  Arya is what 17, 18 in the show.  Why can't she have a romance.  She's at home with her brother and sister and soon would be reunited with Jon.  

I think the show is also giving us small hints that a relationship between Arya and Gendry could happen.  Gendry befriended Jon.  That is a big deal because Jon is her favorite person in the world.  Hot pie called her pretty.  We know that he is less observant than Gendry.  It was mainly to show that she is now a woman and that men can find her attractive.

We already know she had some feelings for him and that he means a lot to her.  They trust each other, have a deep bond and been through a lot together.  

I wouldn't be surprised if D&D decide to scrap it for time, but I would die of happiness if they were to give a few pairings some happy time with each other before fighting the Night King. Some catharsis sounds a little nice lol

4 hours ago, goldenmaps said:

Agree.  Arya is what 17, 18 in the show.  Why can't she have a romance.  She's at home with her brother and sister and soon would be reunited with Jon.  

I think the show is also giving us small hints that a relationship between Arya and Gendry could happen.  Gendry befriended Jon.  That is a big deal because Jon is her favorite person in the world.  Hot pie called her pretty.  We know that he is less observant than Gendry.  It was mainly to show that she is now a woman and that men can find her attractive.

We already know she had some feelings for him and that he means a lot to her.  They trust each other, have a deep bond and been through a lot together.  

Yes, I agree with that. There was no point in Hot Pie calling her "pretty" out of a sudden if that's not for a reason.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, I agree with that. There was no point in Hot Pie calling her "pretty" out of a sudden if that's not for a reason.

Nothing with Hot Pie's interaction with Arya indicated that she cared about her looks.  Or that she would take that as a compliment.  This was a girl with a short hair who wore boys clothes. 

In there whole conversation, nobody mentioned Gendry.  Not even Hot Pie.  You would think he would be curious since the three of them traveled together and he parted from both Arya and Gendry at the same time.  He knows how close the two of them were.  I know she was closed off, but he still didn't ask.  Gendry is his friend too.

I would like to see Hot Pie, Arya and Gendry together one time before the show ends.  I love their friendship.  I would especially like it if Hot Pie would meet everybody. 

3 minutes ago, goldenmaps said:

I would like to see Hot Pie, Arya and Gendry together one time before the show ends.  I love their friendship.  I would especially like it if Hot Pie would meet everybody. 

Same. They should hook him up with a chef job hahaha. I was disappointed with the curtness of her reunion of Hot Pie. And Nymeria. I'm hoping any future reunions for her aren't as cold

On 2/8/2018 at 2:35 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

No, that's his description from Brienne, after Arya has gone away and he is working for a zombie.....his eyes are not full of anger in other circumstances

Arya never describes his eyes this way, not even when they are in dangerous circumstances:

You see, sometimes stubborn, bc that's part of his personality, but never eyes with anger or suspicion, nor nar-constantly bad-tempered.

The master called over a tall lad about Robb's age, his arms and chest corded with muscle. "This is Lord Stark, the new Hand of the King," he told him as the boy looked at Ned through sullen blue eyes and pushed back sweat-soaked hair with his fingers.

That the armorer's sullen apprentice was the king's son, Ned had no doubt. The Baratheon look was stamped on his face, in his jaw, his eyes, that black hair. Renly was too young to have fathered a boy of that age, Stannis too cold and proud in his honor. Gendry had to be Robert's.

sullen= bad-tempered and sulky; gloomy.

7 minutes ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

The master called over a tall lad about Robb's age, his arms and chest corded with muscle. "This is Lord Stark, the new Hand of the King," he told him as the boy looked at Ned through sullen blue eyes and pushed back sweat-soaked hair with his fingers.

That the armorer's sullen apprentice was the king's son, Ned had no doubt. The Baratheon look was stamped on his face, in his jaw, his eyes, that black hair. Renly was too young to have fathered a boy of that age, Stannis too cold and proud in his honor. Gendry had to be Robert's.

sullen= bad-tempered and sulky; gloomy.

Good job, now you just have to proof he is never nice in the books with the rest of the quotes of the books (as this was your first statement in the discussion) and that he is bad-tempered based on sullen look to people that have seen him just once.

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Good job, now you just have to proof he is never nice in the books with the rest of the quotes of the books (as this was your first statement in the discussion) and that he is bad-tempered based on sullen look to people that have seen him just once.

I didn't say that he was never nice just that that he's kind of mean. A bit of a misogynist too but that's pretty normal in Westeros and he's on the light side when it comes to misogynistic tendencies.

It's a book. Generally, first descriptions are useful unless there's a narrative reason behind it. Like some subversion.

I don't believe that's the case here. Gendry doesn't really prove that he's not a sullen person after that. You don't have spend 100 % of your time being that way to be described that way. That's not how people work. And he spends what feels like a quarter of the time angry with Arya. Of course, he has happy moments too.

But I mean Stannis, the other sullen Baratheon, has a happy moment or two as well. Although like I said Gendry is a way happier person when compared to Stannis.

15 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

I didn't say that he was never nice just that that he's kind of mean. A bit of a misogynist too but that's pretty normal in Westeros and he's on the light side when it comes to misogynistic tendencies.

For the bolded :dunno::huh:

15 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

It's a book. Generally, first descriptions are useful unless there's a narrative reason behind it. Like some subversion.

I don't believe that's the case here. Gendry doesn't really prove that he's not a sullen person after that. You don't have spend 100 % of your time being that way to be described that way. That's not how people work. And he spends what feels like a quarter of the time angry with Arya. Of course, he has happy moments too.

But I mean Stannis, the other sullen Baratheon, has a happy moment or two as well. Although like I said Gendry is a way happier person when compared to Stannis.

You said this:

Also Gendry's not very kind. He's heroic but not nice. He gets that from his uncle Stannis who he actually takes after. Gendry's actually kind of a huge dick

That's why I started with counterarguments. Maybe you didn't mean all the time, but from those lines I interpreted that was your idea. At least you acknowledged, now, that he is not always angry, but we clearly differ in our interpretations.

As I said, first impressions, they way you look to strangers, to me, doesn't equal not being nice. The story proves he is a really serious person, who doesn't trust strangers and that when he is open, he can be really nice after meeting people, many times, despite of his looks.

We can just agree to disagree.

If Dany were to ever become evil (Like some theorize), Gendry could be the reason. Since his dad tried to kill her, exterminate all Targaryians, and killed her brother. She could want to kill all Baratheons, which would turn Jon against her.

Even when Jon finds out that Rhaegar is his father, I don't think he will think any different of Gendry. And Gendry won't think different of Jon.

I still don't see Arya as the wife type. Plus Gendry is the 3rd most important Arya reunion to come (after Jon and the Hound). Which would make a love story even harder to set up.

He could also somehow be "the black haired beauty" of Cersie's. Which may soften her blacken heart.

Or he is a blacksmith. That is supposed to be a good warrior with a war hammer. And that's it.

Just listened to an analysis of Arya's music themes. A musician has done a great job.

He identifies a romantic theme for Arya and Gendry, so now I'm even more convinced  that there will be something.

About Arya and Gendry: https://youtu.be/Cey-iExE3Ac?t=1150

When he tells her that he wants to stay there, we listen to "GoodBye Brother". Then when she is leaving, there is a variation of the theme of Robb and Talissa ("I am hers, she is mine") along with Goodbye Brother. Apparently the composer has used this technique more than once.

The musician says that a certain note is even longer than usual in the second part, and a difference in unstruments: the use of violins in the first part for Goodbye Brother, and then an intense violoncello in the second part (the romantic one).. .

In the scene when Melisandre captures Gendry we listen to the theme of the Lord of Light, but from Aray's perspective (before there had been variations of  the Brotherhhod and Syrio Forel theme in the season from Arya's perspective).

When Gendry is protesting for having been captured there is a small variation of the Arya/Gendry theme during some seconds, and when Arya is watching him leave captured, there are two chords of that theme as well.

Finally, when Melisandre speaks with Arya, the Jacquen theme that will be part of her faceless man training.

------------------------------------------

It's in Spanish, but I think it's quite understandable if you have a basic/intermediate level of the language (or you are fluent on another Romance language) because it is accompained by the  different themes and some parts of the explanation are subtitled in Spanish (short sentences) while you listen to the themes.

On 29/01/2018 at 4:56 PM, Pink Fat Rast said:

Randyll's daughter has a different status than his wife, being forced to marry doesn't automatically mean you have no other rights at all

Just saying, Book!Randyll washes rape victims' genitals out with lye to 'purify' them. I'm pretty sure Randyll would not be above getting angry at his wife questioning him, let alone calling her a 'good woman' for doing so. He's just one manifestation of the magically disappearing systems of oppression that exist in Weisseroff.

For some strange reason if Gendry gets legitimized and becomes the Lord of Storm's End, I would want him to take the Durrandon name and not the Baratheon name.  Its the original name of the storm kings before Aegons conquest and probably won't have the negative connotations for Dany.  It would also emphasize his ancient lineage.  

3 minutes ago, goldenmaps said:

For some strange reason if Gendry gets legitimized and becomes the Lord of Storm's End, I would want him to take the Durrandon name and not the Baratheon name.  Its the original name of the storm kings before Aegons conquest and probably won't have the negative connotations for Dany.  It would also emphasize his ancient lineage.  

That would be cool!

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

That would be cool!

I think so too.  I wish it would happen on the show, but I don't know if it would.  I just found out how the Baratheon dynasty started and I think it was a horrible beginning.

The Baratheon name doesn't hold the same meaning to Gendry as the Stark name does for the Starks.  The Baratheons were a dysfunctional family who tore itself apart.  For the starks it means their pack.  It means their loving family and their home.  Even if they don't always get along, they still love and care about each other.  

Plus it would be a smart move for Dany and Jon.  Instead of emphasizing Gendry's Targaryen heritage, they are emphasizing the Storm Kings inheritance.  That way his descendants wouldn't want to seek the throne.  

There are a lot if good things about the Storm Kings.  They are an old house who ruled for a long time.  They at one point ruled the Riverlands.  They are descended from the First Men.  They built Storm's End.  I think there was even some sort of friendship between Bran the builder and Durran.  

Plus we don't have Stannis killing Renly and Shireen or Robert starting his rule with the deaths of children.  It's a clean slate.  

I'm still angry on how Shireen died.  It's horrible.  

On 5/3/2018 at 1:52 AM, goldenmaps said:

I think so too.  I wish it would happen on the show, but I don't know if it would.  I just found out how the Baratheon dynasty started and I think it was a horrible beginning.

The Baratheon name doesn't hold the same meaning to Gendry as the Stark name does for the Starks.  The Baratheons were a dysfunctional family who tore itself apart.  For the starks it means their pack.  It means their loving family and their home.  Even if they don't always get along, they still love and care about each other.  

Plus it would be a smart move for Dany and Jon.  Instead of emphasizing Gendry's Targaryen heritage, they are emphasizing the Storm Kings inheritance.  That way his descendants wouldn't want to seek the throne.  

There are a lot if good things about the Storm Kings.  They are an old house who ruled for a long time.  They at one point ruled the Riverlands.  They are descended from the First Men.  They built Storm's End.  I think there was even some sort of friendship between Bran the builder and Durran.  

Plus we don't have Stannis killing Renly and Shireen or Robert starting his rule with the deaths of children.  It's a clean slate.  

I'm still angry on how Shireen died.  It's horrible.  

Yes, that's a good analysis, it would be a way to start the real Storm's End legacy....again.

The more I think about it, the more i wish that it would happen.  I only thought about it after hearing about what happened to Argella.  I have great respect for her and find her to be a strong woman making the best of the situation.  

I don't think they will use the Durrandon name or even the legacy of the storm kings in the show.  If GRMM decides that the Lord of Storm's End will use the Durrandon name I would be pleasantly surprised.  If the show decides to use that name I would be shocked.  

Archived