What is the role of Gendry?

JMMapelwood

Gendry is a Baratheon bastard. His king’s blood may still matter, as will his friendship with Arya. He is also a blacksmith who aprenticed under Mott, the only smith in Westeros who knew how to rework Valyrian steel.

Gendry is the reason Mel was on Arya’s kill list in the show. Without Baratheon blood Mel would not have taken Gendry and if she had not done that then Mel and Arya would not have met...in the show. So Arya would not be primed to eliminate Melisandre. Mel can see dager to herself in the flames. She can prevent herself getting killed by most people. But a Faceless Man after her is a harder thing to foresee in the flames.

As a blacksmith who learned from Mott, Gendry will arrive at Winterfell in the first or second episode ready and able to help prepare for the big battle. He will rework some of the Valyrian steel that has accumulated there, and maybe even make some new Valyrian steel if Bran and Sam figure out how.

Of the new weapons he will make, one will become Lightbringer. And for this too his Baratheon blood will matter. It will be forged by the son of the King who killed Rhaegar and used to equip the son of Rhaegar most likely.

On 4/2/2019 at 7:43 PM, Rose of Red Lake said:

Gendry's "potential significance [has become] more and more apparent, and potential is an important word." ... "There’s a lot of elements of his character and his parentage that make him potentially powerful or dangerous, and he’s constantly learning more about himself. It’s almost impossible to know where he’s going to go now, based on both his ‘political’ clout, if he ever learns who he is, and his personality."

They will kill him, because they don't know what to do with him. All potential roles have been soaked up by other characters, besides forging, rowing and running. And if they ever go into forging Lightbringer, it won't be Gendry, because it would break the prophecy. 

3 hours ago, SirArthur said:

They will kill him, because they don't know what to do with him. All potential roles have been soaked up by other characters, besides forging, rowing and running. And if they ever go into forging Lightbringer, it won't be Gendry, because it would break the prophecy. 

Not sure why you say forging Lightbringer would break the prophesy? Confused Which one? Why?

Gendry is our only blacksmith character so who else is going to do any forging? Furthermore the wars his father started are what has been tearing Westeros to shreds for decades, so it is only fitting that he forges the blade that is at the same time the symbolic resolution of it all.

He might die. If the sphynx lesson applies to the AA and NN story, he may even take on the Nissa Nissa role to a female character's Azor Ahai. But not before he forges an important sword.

12 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

He might die. If the sphynx lesson applies to the AA and NN story, he may even take on the Nissa Nissa role to a female character's Azor Ahai. But not before he forges an important sword.

Gendry as Nissa Nissa to Dany ? Yeah ... It doesn't work in my opinion. At best he will provide a blank sword because magic Bran tells him what to do. 

I mean why not just let him get killed by Cersei ? The show goes the easy shocker way and this is it. Cersei kills Gendry. I'm calling it. 

3 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

Gendry as Nissa Nissa to Dany ? Yeah ... It doesn't work in my opinion. At best he will provide a blank sword because magic Bran tells him what to do. 

I mean why not just let him get killed by Cersei ? The show goes the easy shocker way and this is it. Cersei kills Gendry. I'm calling it. 

See, doesn't need to be Dany. That is not a given really. AA and PtwP are not confirmed to be the same, only assumed to be. The only thing we know really about AA is that they are a warrior. Arya is a warrior. So is Brienne.

Not strongly married to the idea of Gendry as NN, just saying it is possible.

20 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

Not strongly married to the idea of Gendry as NN, just saying it is possible.

There is always the Gendry/Arya situation, but then you have to come up with a PtwP solution. Not just say it is a possibility brexit style. Someone actually has to write a PtwP solution with Dany/Jon and explain the difference to AA and why PtwP matters and Targaryen marriage politics resolves around it. Someone has to put in the work to write it and explain it. Actual world building in the last season. 

8 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

There is always the Gendry/Arya situation, but then you have to come up with a PtwP solution. Not just say it is a possibility brexit style. Someone actually has to write a PtwP solution with Dany/Jon and explain the difference to AA and why PtwP matters and Targaryen marriage politics resolves around it. Someone has to put in the work to write it and explain it. Actual world building in the last season. 

meh. Not invested enough in that. I am not interested in turning into some kind of fanatical theory pusher just to be able to discuss possibilities with other fans.

The only part about Gendry I am invested in is that I really do believe he will forge an actual significant new sword. If I had to guess it will be a merger of Widow's Wail and Littlefinger's dagger but open to other ideas.

Of course he will also help make all the dragonglass weapons. If Bran and Sam figure out Valyrian steel he might so some of that too. But the significant sword will be the one with story significance, that ties together the series story threads and points to resolution.

5 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

meh. Not invested enough in that. I am not interested in turning into some kind of fanatical theory pusher just to be able to discuss possibilities with other fans.

The only part about Gendry I am invested in is that I really do believe he will forge an actual significant new sword. If I had to guess it will be a merger of Widow's Wail and Littlefinger's dagger but open to other ideas.

Of course he will also help make all the dragonglass weapons. If Bran and Sam figure out Valyrian steel he might so some of that too. But the significant sword will be the one with story significance, that ties together the series story threads and points to resolution.

Sounds like he has a lot of work to do in what should amount to a weeks time...……………………...

I doubt he does much more than works with the dragon glass. 

1 minute ago, Error-504 said:

Sounds like he has a lot of work to do in what should amount to a weeks time...……………………...

I doubt he does much more than works with the dragon glass. 

basically it is just one sword on top of some dragonglass weapons. Not sure why that would seem impossible? I don't even think the sword needs to be finished before the Winterfell battle because I doubt the Winterfell battle permanently eliminates the threat of the NK.

3 hours ago, Hippocras said:

basically it is just one sword on top of some dragonglass weapons. Not sure why that would seem impossible? I don't even think the sword needs to be finished before the Winterfell battle because I doubt the Winterfell battle permanently eliminates the threat of the NK.

Because equipping an army of 50,000 + with dragon glass weapons isn't a big enough feet in itself? I am pretty sure that forging a valaryan steel blade is quite the time consuming process (for instance lightbringer, although not Valaryan steel, took 100 days and nights) and needs some specialized equipment (ie a really hot oven) that would have to be setup, even if a simple re-forging were to be done. But I guess it's possible, because we all know Gendry is lighting fast (look how fast he ran back to the wall). 

45 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

Because equipping an army of 50,000 + with dragon glass weapons isn't a big enough feet in itself? I am pretty sure that forging a valaryan steel blade is quite the time consuming process (for instance lightbringer, although not Valaryan steel, took 100 days and nights) and needs some specialized equipment (ie a really hot oven) that would have to be setup, even if a simple re-forging were to be done. But I guess it's possible, because we all know Gendry is lighting fast (look how fast he ran back to the wall). 

Reworking Valyrian steel just as Tobho Mott did to make Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper is not a particularly long process. You are IMO taking the 100 days and nights forging story too literally to mean a blacksmith needs to spend that much time at the forge. I really don't think that is what the forging means in the myth. 

5 hours ago, Hippocras said:

Reworking Valyrian steel just as Tobho Mott did to make Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper is not a particularly long process. You are IMO taking the 100 days and nights forging story too literally to mean a blacksmith needs to spend that much time at the forge. I really don't think that is what the forging means in the myth. 

Re-working an old blade or forging a new blade (of raw materials) are two different things. 

Well there is a Valaryian great sword that just showed up at Winterfell that could be used to make two regular size swords just like Ice was. Sam has his familys' sword. One of the previews shows Gendry in a foundry looking area so who knows.

It would be messed up if he is forging it and Arya comes at him as a wight and he kills her with it, quenching the blade in her blood. Suddenly the prophecy is flipped. After all he is also of royal blood, and can forge steel. Silly not likely, and I hope not.

I don't know about this whole Gendry forging a Valarian super sword thing. I take it since so few know how it's quite a tricky thing to do, and in the book Gendry hadn't even made his first long sword before he left Tobo Mott's shop. And in the series, has Tobo Mott and Valaryian steel ever been mentioned?

I think his purpose in Winterfel will be one of the many smiths forging dragon glass weapons and then being a soldier. His purpose in the story will be Arya's arc . 

4 hours ago, HouseLancaster said:

I don't know about this whole Gendry forging a Valarian super sword thing. I take it since so few know how it's quite a tricky thing to do, and in the book Gendry hadn't even made his first long sword before he left Tobo Mott's shop. And in the series, has Tobo Mott and Valaryian steel ever been mentioned?

I think his purpose in Winterfel will be one of the many smiths forging dragon glass weapons and then being a soldier. His purpose in the story will be Arya's arc . 

Yes, he is the one that turned Ice into Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:11 AM, Error-504 said:

Re-working an old blade or forging a new blade (of raw materials) are two different things. 

Well I tend to agree, but we really don’t know anything at all about making Valyrian steel, so there is really no reason to assume that it is a question of time spent at the forge.

IMO it is the magic involved that takes the time, and the magic is a product of story events, not necessarily intentional use of it. I don’t think the magic is less if a king is killed because of a war than if the king is killed because someone wanted to wake dragons. Do you see what I mean? The events of the story themselves generate the conditions for magic.

Archived