Everyone along the Texas and Louisana Coast stay safe

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Just an FYI for those who think rain can't be "that bad".  Columbia, SC lived though a similar event two years ago (we got less rain than is predicted from this storm).  Two years on and we are still recovering.  My church hosted work crews in our parish hall who were working in poorer communities for more than a year and a half.  

This storm is predicted to be much worse.

We kind of lucked out here in NJ during Sandy. We didn't even get rain here during it, but holy the storm surge was massive and did damage enough. Can't imagine what rain would have added to that. A good portion of the coastal area's that aren't tourist destinations are still recovering and haven't seen much, if any, of the money that was promised to help rebuild. 

8 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

We kind of lucked out here in NJ during Sandy. We didn't even get rain here during it, but holy the storm surge was massive and did damage enough. Can't imagine what rain would have added to that. A good portion of the coastal area's that aren't tourist destinations are still recovering and haven't seen much, if any, of the money that was promised to help rebuild. 

Fema will be writing out alot checks in Texas  in the aftermath of this storm.

It's been raining all day in Austin with some noticeable gusts but I have been drinking beer and watching Netflix inside all day.  It didn't seem like it was crazy enough outside here to do any damage but a few minutes ago I went outside and walked up and down the street and there are trees down all over the neighborhood including several behind my house and we are just in the outer edge of the storm.  Much worse to the southeast of Austin where they've already gotten a foot of rain.  Gonna do a full neighborhood expedition tomorrow and later in the week I am going to go down to the coast for work to do some aerial surveying for the aftermath so that should be interesting.  

"40-50 inches of rain are not out of the question before this storm is over":

https://www.google.com/amp/s/weather.com/amp/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-harvey-rain-flood-forecast-texas-louisiana.html

The US hasn't seen anything like this in its history.

Yeah, I think for the foreseeable future the main/best bet mode of transportation is going to be boats. 

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this. A donation to the red cross will be coming from me.

Is there anything else I can do?

Be safe everyone in Texas.

On 8/26/2017 at 11:29 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

...I just realized, 35 inches of rain, I'm only 5'5", that's more than half my height!

I don't know if talking in terms of inches tends to prevent people from panicking (when people mention measurements in inches they are normally talking about small things) which could be a good thing, or if it causes a lack of real awareness for how bad things are. If the weather bureau reported 3' of rain over the next X days people might really sit up and take notice.

If you hear "almost 3' of rain" on the TV and radio you immediately know that this is waist deep or higher for the majority of people, and that's serious shit. But 35" requires you to do some mental calculations to visualise what that means, and unfortunately there are a lot of people for whom even that simple mental calculation is difficult and they never go through the mental process of translating that number into what it actually means and what it implies.

My Dad recently moved back to the Houston area for a new job and he's been keeping me informed of the situation. He's been fine so far, but our family friends had two feet of water in their house as of this morning. Now, they've been forced to shelter in their attic with their pets. According to my Dad the rain is still coming down in sheets. Our friends have been calling the coast guard with no response so far. They have an axe and are prepared to break through the roof if necessary. I'm praying everything turns out alright.  

Also, you have to multiply the depth of water by the size of the area it has fallen in (hundreds of square miles?) to get the staggering total volume of water.

Then think that much of that water has to flow downhill, into the river systems, and then make its way to the sea. Anyone living anywhere near a river downstream of this should be thinking through their options now.

My best wishes to you all. Stay safe.

Archived