Does Mirri's prophecy make Daenerys's death inevitable?

Free Northman Reborn

We all know Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

So this has been debated a lot, but by cutting to the crux of it, it struck me today (and maybe it's been raised before) that we KNOW Drogo is obviously not returning to the land of the living. So the only way for Daenerys to join him again, is if she dies and joins him in the afterlife. Hence, if Mirri's prophecy is a true one, it basically makes Dany's death in childbirth inevitable.

We can see the separate parts of the prophecy come true one by one. With the last one being her bearing a living child. After which she reunites with Drogo. Is there any way to get around this? Not only does it seem like a possibility, it in fact seems inevitable, based on that foretelling.

43 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

We all know Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

So this has been debated a lot, but by cutting to the crux of it, it struck me today (and maybe it's been raised before) that we KNOW Drogo is obviously not returning to the land of the living. So the only way for Daenerys to join him again, is if she dies and joins him in the afterlife. Hence, if Mirri's prophecy is a true one, it basically makes Dany's death in childbirth inevitable.

We can see the separate parts of the prophecy come true one by one. With the last one being her bearing a living child. After which she reunites with Drogo. Is there any way to get around this? Not only does it seem like a possibility, it in fact seems inevitable, based on that foretelling.

I think so

Well that depends. First of all it's not meant to be a prophecy. It's just an elaborate way of telling Dany she will never get Drogo back. The question is whether the lack of prophetic intent means that all the things have to occur? Could we have just most of it come true?

I don't know enough about accidental prophecy to have a good read on this.

My guess though is that she will die in childbirth. What I can't say is whether that will happen during the series, or we'll find out about it in an epilogue.

Given that a high percentage of Westerosi women die in childbirth, it's not unlikely. However, I'm with Lady Blizzardborn in thinking Mirri Maz Duur's remarks were not "prophesy" as we understand it in the series, but a poetic and convoluted way of saying the Drogo you knew is gone, and he ain't comin' back, girl. This undead thing is the best you can get.

I also hold that the story of the deformed, scaly infant filled with graveworms was total BS, meant to keep Daenerys from wanting to see the body or even learn what Maz Duur had done with it. I suspect it/he? was a normal infant who was ritually killed and then used, possibly like Vary's long-lamented boy parts, to facilitate blood magic.

Mirri Maz Duur was seeking revenge on the Dothraki, and had a really good case for it. The tragedy was a learning experience for Daenerys. Saving a life or two when those people's worlds have been destroyed is a poor and unsatisfactory thing. And beware of other people, who don't even need to be Khals, Lords, or Kings, who have reason to want vengeance.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Well that depends. First of all it's not meant to be a prophecy. It's just an elaborate way of telling Dany she will never get Drogo back. The question is whether the lack of prophetic intent means that all the things have to occur? Could we have just most of it come true?

I don't know enough about accidental prophecy to have a good read on this.

My guess though is that she will die in childbirth. What I can't say is whether that will happen during the series, or we'll find out about it in an epilogue.

Me too. 

Archived