[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

10 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

They’re reallllyy trying to push the incest in boatcest with the Jon/Viserys parallels. Jon calls her Dany, and she says, “awwww, my crazy abusive brother used to call me that. How romantic” and then while boinking, Jon’s dad looks just like Viserys. Rhaegar and Viserys look so much alike in the books that Dany couldn’t tell them apart at first in the HOTU vision. Think Rhaegar looking like Viserys was completely intentional.

I have a theory that incest is used in-book to earmark behaviors, thoughts, feelings, or beliefs which work against the fight with the Others/WWs. Basically characters looking inward/playing the game of thrones/prioritizing personal stuff over seeing the big threat. Incest is about as freaky inward– and backward-looking as you can get. Jon/Dany prioritized their own feelings and screwed Westeros by giving the NK a dragon (guess Tyrion was actually right?) and at the same time Jaime said “screw incest” and went to fight the right fight.

I noticed that Rhaegar looked an awful lot like Viserys.  Do we know who played Rhaegar, because I am not sure it wasn't Harry Lloyd (Viserys)  I would think if it was we'd hear by now, but damn, he really did look like him.  It's like they stayed away from a close up of his face on purpose. 

2 minutes ago, iprayiam said:

Why the talk of Honest Jon always keeping his word? Wouldn't most of the people there believe him to be an oath breaking deserter? i never bought the died means free excuse, but I get that Jon feels right with it. But that's not knowledge to everyone else.

Littlefinger's death was so predictable and contrived and cheap. The sisters didn't actually have to work for it or resolve their differences. Instead Bran spoon fed the resolution off screen. They sacrifices a coherent narrative for the "surprise", and was anyone actually surprised at that.

I don't get why people don't think Jon and Dany is gross as hell. Jamie and Cersei is bad enough, but at least it's presented as twisted. People are actually clapping about this.

So the wight hunt gave team Dany... nothing. What's Cersei's plan here exactly? How long before they realize team Lannister isn't beside them, marching North? What did this gain Cersei over just saying no, a week? And if she needs the Gold Cloaks to fortify their hold after Dany's entire army has cleared out AND team Dany doesn't know about the gold cloaks, then what did they think they were gaining from this treaty? None of it makes any sense as soon as you scratch the surface.

This is just an opinion, but I hate the self-fulfilling prophesy trope with the dragon. The WW were only actually a threat because they were treated like a threat, thus giving them the opportunity to become a threat. it's perfectly fair story telling, but it doesn't do it for me. Would have preferred to see the WWs have a different way of getting past the wall or having the dragon be a plan B.

The people cheering for it don't really have a problem with incest. They can deny it all they want it but it's true. 

Benioff/Weiss:

"He's the rightful heir to the iron throne. That changes everything... It was about making it clear that this was an information bomb that Jon was heading towards... Just as we're seeing these two people come together, we're hearing the information that will inevitably if not tear them apart, at least cause real problems in their relationship, and she's his aunt. It complicates everything on a political level, on a personal level, and it just takes everything that could have been so neat and kind of perfect for Jon and Dany, and it really muddies the waters."

7 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Dr. Branhattan waited that long to confront LF? Why? Also for someone who's apparently omniscient how did Sam know stuff he didn't? 

This just made this clusterfuck of a season worth it. Thank you.

And also, why tell Sam all that crap instead of, you know, his sisters?!

5 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

As passionless and out of nowhere the jonerys sex was at least it wasn't offensive and was at least a positive relationship (so far)

It's just bizarre that two tertiary characters get a muuuuuuch longer sex scene that the protagonists that had been making fuckme eyes to each other all season long. 

But you know this show has set the bar really fucking low when you go "Well, at least it was consensual, so that's good."

1 minute ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I noticed that Rhaegar looked an awful lot like Viserys.  Do we know who played Rhaegar, because I am not sure it wasn't Harry Lloyd (Viserys)  I would think if it was we'd hear by now, but damn, he really did look like him.  It's like they stayed away from a close up of his face on purpose. 

He did look a lot like him!

1 minute ago, Snormund said:

The people cheering for it don't really have a problem with incest. They can deny it all they want it but it's true. 

I don't "cheer" for incest. I saw the foreshadowing in the very first book and shipped it since. It wasn't until later that I realized they may be related when I read the R+L=J theory online. The ship had already sailed, it was too late for me at that point. :P

If they're going to have the forced Drama of Sansa and Arya on screen all season, why have the coming together of the 3 Starks off Screen?  

The "suspense" of not showing the viewer wasn't worth the tradeoff off of not showing them reconcile.  That tension and resolution would have been much better on screen and they still could have had the "Trial".  I wonder if the know they just can't pull off character interaction and development anymore. This whole sesaon has been sped up for no reason.  There's easily been 3 hours of potential worthwhile material they could have put in and still obtained their plot goals. 

I gave this episode a higher grade than most other episodes this season. Part of it was because it was over, and I felt a sense of relief. This episode probably beat the show's record on fan service, from all the little reunions, to the departures, and the rushed moments of drama.

After a third of the episode had passed, I was ready to rename it "Stiff Walkers". We can't see long distance journeys in a reasonable manner, but we can see all these characters walk around King's Landing's backyard, back and forth, back and forth.

I was kinda ok with LF's trial, a swift end to a terrible plot. Not sure why they had to blindside him like that, just more fan service.

Jaime should have died. UnGregor pulled his sword, and then nothing happened. Now Jaime is apparently free to go warn the others of Cersei's plot. But of course, we can't have Jaime killed in that fashion, because we all know Jaime is the one destined to kill Cersei.

If Euron had his fleet in the narrow sea, why didn't he send some ships to attack Dany and Jon, which apparently were on a solitary ship in the narrow sea? After all, the guy knows where everyone is, and can move super fast. Oh, that's right, plot armor.

So I guess the Dothraki didn't return to Dragonstone after the battle in ep. 4. Because Euron was back now, so I assume he could have attacked Dany's remaining ships, to prevent them from landing. What were they doing all this time, while people were going on suicide missions north of the Wall and more schemes were being plotted?

Still no Ghost.

Sam took credit for Gilly's find without missing a beat. I'm amazed he even remembered. And he just traveled all the way to Winterfell, through war torn land. I guess outlaws and broken men no longer exist in Westeros. Did he even stop at Horn's Hill? Does he even care? I suppose the Wall coming down saved him from a beheading, as I suppose the Night's Watch is done now.

Do the rest of the lords of Westeros still exist?

Ravens barely make it to Winterfell now, but Dothraki will make it there in a fortnight, because who cares about fodder for so many horses in a winter wasteland, or that these people are probably not used to such conditions.

Theon won a fight because he has no balls.

The show has estabilished that after you kill someone you get the right to rule/command therefore the scene was OK.

Is Bran going to repeat some random dialogues in the past to prove things everytime?

I wonder if Tormund, my pseudo-namesake, is screwed. Probably. 

If anyone is curious I just chose the name because I thought of it and it's funny. Tormund is cool but not one of my faves. I don't think he's boring or sleep inducing either it's just for lols

6 minutes ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

Fucking hate how they used Bran. "I have to be auntiefucker's personnel exposition machine."

Yeah, they barely let him say a word in the stupid Winterhell plot...

What a waste, they could have actually shown character development for the Starks, instead of that utter nonsense.

And then once again, he's the auntiefucker exposition machine.

23 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

As passionless and out of nowhere the jonerys sex was at least it wasn't offensive and was at least a positive relationship (so far)

I'm positive it reminded me I need to work out more.  

And be 15 years younger.  

Every year I hope it'll get better, but every year it gets worse.

So much of this season feels  pointless and a lot of what happened prior to this episode ended up having 0 influence later on. For example what was the point in making Euron attacks the ships at Casterly Rock? We even get a line from Missandei worried about Greyworm. Now this episode he's totally fine.

LF basically became Jack Nicholson from A Few Good Men. He just admits his crimes I was shocked he didn't say "You can't handle the truth".

Archived