[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

14 minutes ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

At this point I wouldn't expect Winds from him in 2018 regardless of what the show does.  He just doesn't have it in him to finish this series, I think.  Creatively spent.

Edit; meant "Wouldn't" expect Winds in 2018, not would.     

Sad to say, but I think just getting The Winds of Winter will be enough for me.  The only story line I really want to read about is how Stannis' one concludes.  Does he win the Battle of Winterfell?  How does he pull it off?  Does he actually give permission for his daughter to be burned alive?  And what is his eventual downfall?

Maybe I will change my mind when I start reading the books and realize the characters actually have depth to them, unlike on the show.

12 minutes ago, Hoo said:

Murder of LF was uncalled for.  

We all cheered when he killed Lysa and Sansa lied to save him.  He saved Sansa from Cersei.  He saved Jon and reclaimed Winterfell.

This was a bit iut of character, weird.

He betrayed Ned.

He betrayed Catelyn.

He orchestrated the murder of Jon Arryn.

He sold Sansa to the Boltons.

He gave Ros to Joffrey so she could be murdered.

He made moves on Cat while Ned's bones were in a box in the same room/tent.  

So no.  Him being executed was not uncalled for.  

38 minutes ago, Visenya Stark said:

The part where it's revealed that Jon's real name is Aegon had me laughing. Out of all the male Targaryen names that exist, D&D really decided that Rhaegar's second son would have the same name as Rhaegar's first son. 

Did the White Walkers really not have a plan to bring down the Wall before they got a wighted dragon? So the whole "get a wight to show Cersei" plan really was a way for the Night King to get a dragon. 

I'm glad Littlefinger is finally dead but how it came about is just badly written. Winterfell storyline is arguably the worst part of the whole season. 

Yeah it appears there was no plan to get across the wall sans necro-dragon.  Which makes the wight hunt scene not only perhaps the most contrived scene in the history of the show, but maybe the most consequential contrived scene in the history of tv.

Bronn could have just shipped those 1,000 barrels of pitch to Eastwatch and Tormund could've dumped 'em on the dead army as they gathered at the base of the wall, unable to go any further.  Pick off the rest of them with obsidian tipped arrows and presto, it's springtime for "Aegon" & Co.

36 minutes ago, Haskelltier said:

That was bad.

Westeros is not an absolute monarchy! Instead of trying to get sense into the little mad brain of Cersei "I give shit" Lannister (which is pretty useless), Dany and Jon should have called a council of all great lords of Westeros (including Cersei if you wish). There they could have presented the wight and tell their story. I think there would have been a good chance that a majority of these lords would have chosen Dany's and Jon's side and without the support of these lords Cersei's resources and options would be small. She could have refused help, but then she had to have good reasons or else the other lords would question here mental sanity. And if she had promised help, the other lords would have followed her example. But that would be to easy.

The show has done a terrible job portraying whether there even are any great lords left, where they are if so, and what the strength of their bannermen  could be.  I think they had to do it this way, because they killed off or left out everyone of importance not already at the meeting or dealing with the littlefinger *plot*

Littlefinger's execution scene was arranged in a way so that the viewer gets the biggest surprise possible. But in truth, it was unrealistic and looked like the plot of a bad crime show. It starts with the fake trial of person A only to reveal theatrically that person B was guilty. And of course the accusations of the judge and two clever lines from Sansa's brother Bran were enough to satisfy those present that Littlefinger was guilty. I think Tyrion's trial was fairer than this one, Tyrion at least had the chance to demand a trial by combat and there were at least a few witness's statements.

The whole winterfell plot line was terrible this season.  This scene was stupid but at least it meant the end of his story, and I am glad they actually called back to Littlefinger's true crimes (killing Robert Arryn and starting this whole mess to begin with).  It was nice to see Bran inside for once also.

But I am not mad, at least I figured out the showrunner's master plan. They let the quality of the plot decline so dramatically to motivate George RR Martin to write his books faster. Or else A Song of Ice and Fire would be an unfinished book series with a terrible finished TV adaptation. That should give the author the right motivation to end the series.

35 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I really don't get the Theon having no balls, I've seen interesting juvenile outlines that allude to such, but I thought it was just the pillar, not the stones that Theon lost?  Or at least, that's the way Missy and Dany would discuss it if it was the Unsullied.  Granted, Missy did forget all she knew about the Unsullied, but that's another story.  Back to Theon, even with them not making sperm, they are still there, and those kicks would hurt. 

Even if cut stem and root, getting a kick against the pubic bone can make someone double down just as well. I'm a woman, but once had some stupid slam a chair there when I was a teen. Knocked the breath out of me for several minutes.

9 minutes ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

I just don't share your disgust over the incest aspect of it.  I've had like 6 years of expecting it to happen to get used to it. 

George has permanently altered my morals I guess, at least when it comes to this story.  Breaking Bad made me root for Walter White, even when he was objectively being a piece of shit.  George got me rooting for incest because I love Jon and Dany so much.  That's just where I'm at  :wacko:

So with you on this one. Hell, even the Northerners in Ned's own damn family were close relations. GRRM gave us a world in which the Targs practiced incest for generations and accepted it. In the author's world; I go by the social mores he set and leave my personal disgust at incest off the page / screen. Judge GRRM if you like.

That said, the thing I HATE about Jon and Dany's relationship is how forced it felt! Not only was the sex lackluster because the two actors have no chemistry whatsoever, but as I've been saying all season, all of this was too rushed to be believable. Over the course of 10 episodes, I could have believed Jon and Dany were falling in love, but this shit with everything else that was going on in 7 goddamn episodes? Even Jon said there was no time for this shit! So they've been making sexy eyes at each other from maybe the second episode after they met. Sexy eyes and one hand holding do not equal chemistry. With D&D it felt like they were saying, believe they are in love because we're telling you so. It just wasn't there like much else this season. Like, believe Jon and Sansa are at odds cause we say so. I'm not even touching that shit with the Starks and LF tonight. And if they want to keep hammering us over the head with Dany's gonna have a baby now in season 8, it will be another thing that's just shoe-horned in.

By contrast, Grey Worm and Missendei's relationship had actual heat when they finally decided to have sex because there was buildup. There are ways the show could have built up Jon and Dany, and still culminate in that useless wight hunt if the show felt it was really necessary to keep it in. Given the ridiculous pacing this year, I entirely expect Tyrion's words to hold true for 6 episodes of season 8 as well; we're fucked.

2 hours ago, The Onion Kniggit said:

So let me get this straight! They changed a major character like Asha's name to Yara because they thought the audience would confuse it with Osha, a relatively minor character that gets killed off, but they decide to give the Jonny boy not only the same name as the well known Aegon the conqueror mentioned several times in the show already, but also the same name as his own half-brother from Elia Martell. Couldn't they have literally named him anything else like I dunno Jonerys Targaryen? At least we can understand how Ned got Jon from that.

GRRM almost sure told them Jon's real name. I highly doubt they changed it, as Aegon can be gleaned from the books. My recent posts contain some explanations and evidence if you're interested.

21 minutes ago, The Onion Kniggit said:

If the leaks for the first episode is correct than it looks like they finally remembered the Stormlands existed....

Jesus

That along should tell you the leaks are fake.  No way in hell D&D remember what the Stormlands are.

19 minutes ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

i just remembered something:

Bronn literally had to leave the Dragon Pit because Jerome Flynn isn't allowed to be near Lena Headey

LOL I didn't put two and two together when watching but good catch.  Probably should have had way fewer people in that scene anyway so I was actually kinda glad when Bronn and Pod left.

3 minutes ago, Verily said:

Why would Cersei let Jaime go free to tell the enemy of her betrayal instead of at least detaining him

Because the plot demands it

20 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Wait... what?

The actress that plays Cersei and the actor that plays Bronn used to be a couple. Apparently it ended poorly enough that it's literally in Lena Headey's contract that she is never to be on set with him at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Verily said:

Why would Cersei let Jaime go free to tell the enemy of her betrayal instead of at least detaining him

Lol! That was classic stupid villain 101. "Let me reveal my master plan while twirling my mustache." I mean, how long does she suppose anyone's going to sit there going, "Gee, are the Lannister soldiers just running late or what? Shouldn't they have been here by now?" 

2 minutes ago, J. Stargaryen said:

GRRM almost sure told them Jon's real name. I highly doubt they changed it, as Aegon can be gleaned from the books. My recent posts contain some explanations and evidence if you're interested.

I'm not denying that his name can't be Aegon in the books, I'm just saying that since Aegon is already a well established name for a character, I'm surprised they didn't give him the Yara treatment.

21 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

He betrayed Ned.

He betrayed Catelyn.

He orchestrated the murder of Jon Arryn.

He sold Sansa to the Boltons.

He gave Ros to Joffrey so she could be murdered.

He made moves on Cat while Ned's bones were in a box in the same room/tent.  

So no.  Him being executed was not uncalled for.  

I don't know if he betrayed Ned.  His loyalty was not to Ned.  Ned died because he stepped on Cersei's toes.

I don't know how he betrayed Catelyn.

He had to get Sansa out of Vale.  No place to go.

in the end, he did not pin Arya against Sansa.  Arya was acting weird and Ssnss kept expressing concerns about it.

He told Sansa, I don't know your sister, you do! But this is how I think.  And then Sansa went on  to explain Arya is trying to kill her.

Sansa played LF, and murdered him, for some reason only Sansa knows.

It wasn't right.  It was murder.

9 minutes ago, Epyon said:

The actress that plays Cersei and the actor that plays Bronn used to be a couple. Apparently it ended poorly enough that it's literally in Lena Headey's contract that she is never to be on set with him at the same time.

Damnit... I don't care about celebrities and their drama but... I really want to know what happened between those two.  

1 hour ago, Visenya Stark said:

The part where it's revealed that Jon's real name is Aegon had me laughing. Out of all the male Targaryen names that exist, D&D really decided that Rhaegar's second son would have the same name as Rhaegar's first son. 

GRRM almost certainly told D&D Jon's real name. I don't think they changed it. There's at least as much support in the books for Aegon as for the more popular choice, Aemon. I came up with my "Aegon" theory in 2014. It really only requires that Rhaegar had not picked a male name for Lyanna's child. Which is easily explained by Rhaegar expecting a girl for the third head of the dragon. Aside from the names paralleling 2/3 of the original Targ trio, there is evidence for this in the HotU, when Rhaegar appears to see Dany while saying that "There must be one more (dragon head)." In other words, he is envisioning—as opposed to literally seeing—the three heads rounding out with another girl. 

Archived