[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

22 minutes ago, Sir Dingleberry said:

Lol exactly. I don't know who wrote that fight scene but I feel like they were just cracking up the entire time at how ridiculous it would be if D&D actually allow it, and they did.

Haha. Yeah, how many kicks to the man patch can we get in there that the editors allow for time?

9 hours ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

i just remembered something:

Bronn literally had to leave the Dragon Pit because Jerome Flynn isn't allowed to be near Lena Headey

LOLOL  I noticed that right away.  Pod, let's have a drink, I'll tell you all about why I'm not allowed in this scene, HAHAHAHA

What a pointless season with such terrible storytelling that defies logic, consistency and makes no sense. All the defenders who said that D&D had to condense GRRM's books to make the show watchable should probably eat their words. By killing Stannis, reducing the Northern lords to insignificant nothings, having Dorne comprise of the pussy brigade and evil vengeful Ellaria, getting rid of LS and the actual BwB storyline, and all the other moronic changes those two idiots made to dash to the finish line faster than Gendry ran to Eastwatch, has left D&D with no story to tell. So instead we get wight hunt to convince batshit crazy Cersei (who magically is so powerful and intelligent now), cackling Euron with his 1000 ships, NK and his rediculously slow moving zombie army, omniscient Bran who has become the most pointless character on the show, Sam picking up shit and scrapping shit off Jorah, teenage girl fight on who's the better Stark, Dany and Jon falling in love (ugh) and LF, the evil genious, who has lost his wits. 

The only good thing that came out of this season is that the blinders are off the eyes of some of the critics and the herd that defends this mindless crap.

4 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOLOL  I noticed that right away.  Pod, let's have a drink, I'll tell you all about why I'm not allowed in this scene, HAHAHAHA

Has Lena Headey taken out a restraining order on Jerome Flynn?

The scene that might have cracked me up the most this episode was when Cheryl called Tyrion out on his bullshit about he said Dany would make a good leader yet she wanted to burn down KL. And it was only through the saintly wisdom of St. Tyrion was he able to talk her down and that basically Dany would only make a good ruler because of St. Tyrion's wisdom.

So essentially it doesn't matter who is ruling as long as Tyrion is hand. Fuck, might as well put Ghost or Mountain Gregor or the Night King in there. Tyrion will be able to instill wisdom in them.

I'm really rather disappointed by this episode and the season in general.

It's become pretty obvious that D&D are just jumping from one major plot point to another, so the episodes just feel like watching a "highlights" version of the show.

I don't really know why the Dothraki and Unsullied were outside KL; what exactly was the point of that? A display of strength that ... err ... didn't resonate and had no impact? Bronn and Jamie realised they were screwed, yet Team Dany were unbelievably meek in the face of Cersei at the wight show. The tone and atmosphere of those scenes were just so bizarre.

The thinking behind the wight show to Cersei doesn't make sense to me at all. And, to be honest, if I hear Lena Headey say the word "enemies" once more with that snarl on her face, I am going get really cross.

I also found the off-screen discussion between Cersei and Tyrion where he must have persuaded her to go back and "change her mind" to be a massive cop-out. That should have been a major exchange in the episode, not some to and fro over Tywin's death and Tommen and Marcella. And why the hell was Cersei banging on about family? She has Jamie (who she is quick to threaten now) and a very early pregnancy ... err ... that's it. There is no "family" anymore.  

The notion that KL has a population of one million is just daft. No city in the late middle ages had over half a million inhabitants; most major European cities came in around 200,000 or less. A million inhabitants in such a city would mean almost permanent outbreaks of plague and sickness, and the sewage and refuse would be utterly unmanageable, not to mention the sheer quantity of food that would be required every single day.

Then we have the big reveal of Jon's parentage. I am sorry but it was just dire, like something from a play written by a teenager. It should have been managed far better than just Bran "saw" and Gilly read something in a book.   

I just don't know what to say about the winterfell plot. All that time just to get to LF's execution. What a waste of valuable screen time minutes on useless bollox between Sansa and Arya.

And I did notice that a lot in this episode: wasted minutes, overlong shots of someone walking away, a random shot of some women in a street. I don't think D&D know how to write from one "highlight" to another.

And how on earth can a wight dragon fly with hols in its wings? And how could the blue fire destroy the wall so quickly?

Even the thinking behind that makes no sense. Jon should be under the impression that the wall will hold for some time, that they will fight the white walkers on the other side of the wall. And we have Tyrion whose chain at the blackwater was an inspired idea. Yet all they can think to do to fight the walkers is to throw soldiers at them.

I just don't know what to say. Even my husband who hasn't read the books believes the show has lost the magic it had. 

I have a very sinking feeling about what the final series will be like. 

3 hours ago, Iotun said:

I felt this episode was a lot better than the last 2 ones. Although I do have things to complain about, it was definitely not as horrendous as the one from last week.

Still, the main things that annoyed me:

1) The meeting between all the characters still makes no sense whatsoever. They're supposedly all at the meeting because they just want to get a truce, and don't expect the Lannisters to march with them... and fully expect to continue the fight after the war in the North... which still makes no sense, as it's still easier to end the war in the South with a single decisive battle now, that they themselves admit they'll still need to fight in the future.

But fine - but then what do they expect out of Cersei? What are they there for? They want her to promise not to regroup while in the North, so that they can have a fair fight when they return back to the South? Is that realistic? Are they not going to prepare themselves for a fight, after they defeat the White Walkers? Do they really expect Cersei not to prepare to defend herself after their campaign in the North, when they freely admit to her that the war will continue in the future?

And they're then mad at Jon, for getting Cersei to walk out in anger... but what for? Didn't they already get everything they wanted out of Cersei? If they're apparently not there to try and get the Lannisters to march north, and they're still admitting that they'll need to continue to fight afterwards, the only point of the meeting seems to just be to declare to Cersei that 'We're marching North, bye, we'll come later'... I just don't understand what they expect to get our of it, and what they're so angry anout when Cersei first walks out?

Then Cersei keeps talking on and on about her moving back her 'armies'... what armies? The Lannister army should have suffered significant weaknesses by this point, and Cersei should be a hated leader, who faces off against the combined might of practically all other great houses, plus the Dothraki, Unsullied, and 3 dragons... and for all Dany's side knows, they've also just witnessed Euron abandoning her, so Cersei loses her own advantage, which is naval superiority. Dany could literally take the city probably within hours, and yet we're also asked to believe that the Iron Bank will back Cersei, rather than the obvious winning side?

The complete pointlessness of this meeting and this plot, out of which everything else in this season has derived, remains the season's biggest challenge.

2) Why does Tyrion claim responsibility for the deaths of Tommen and Myrcella? That seems completely pointless.

3) The Bran exposition scene was completely pointless. It feels like the show is treating us like idiots. The show should have made it absilutely clear by now that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, and that he was a legitimized son of Rhaegar. The show actually did a good job of 'showing' us this up to this point, why have to spell it out for us in such an obvious way?

4) Finally, I thought the blue fire dragon with the Night King riding it looked too fake, and too computer gamey for me. 

I was talking to a friend who only watches the show and he was trying to tell me 2 things that made me understand (although I hate it) why the show does treat us like idiots.

First he was trying to convince me that Dany and Jon are brother and sister. This is how little some people pay attention to the plot and details of the show. 7 season in and people do not know the basic Targaryen family tree.

Second, he kept saying how it isn't clear and that we the viewer still do not know Jon's parentage. I actually thought he was messing with me. All he would reply is "well they haven't actually come out and confirmed it". The show needs to spoon feed the audience and hold their hands because a lot of their viewers do not actually pay attention to the show. They like, the show runners, pay attention to a scene then forget about it's meaning and how it impacts the story before and after as soon as said scene ends.

Sansa : You remember what father said? "The lone wolf,...[yada yada].

Arya : Yea, I'm your executioner now, because you remember what father said? "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."...

Actually forget that part.

Sansa [Being really clever now] : Yeah you know, we are no -man-, so we are cool.

8 hours ago, Padrino said:

I don't know how to explain this better, but I'll try.  You know how the show has made a big deal of Arya not wanting to be Lady of Winterfell and that her family, including Sansa, know that, right?  Well Littlefinger tried to make Sansa believe that Arya returned to Winterfell to kill her and become Lady of Winterfell, and the only reason he would do that is to set the sisters off against each other.  Just from that lie alone she knows two things, 1) Littlefinger is still deceiving her, and 2) he wants her to kill Arya.  The first reason is no big surprise, and is not a sufficient reason to execute a major ally, but the second reason is Littlefingers undoing.

One thing I did find interesting, or different in all this, was that Sansa pointed out that LF had done the same thing to another set of sisters, playing them against one another.  I did think they wound up some of LF's crimes over two generations pretty well, throwing in the Cat and Lysa example was good, for a change, LOL.  I did find that a nice little addition.  Still, I think Sansa had plenty of reasons to find him guilty, and at the end.......his grovelling was a confession.  I just hope we are done with Bizzaro World Winterhell.  Maybe the pack can get the place back to half normal now?  Ha, I kid.  I'm not that hopeful. 

LF has been a joke of a villian for quite a few seasons now though.  The premise of the story leading to his death, as well as the performance of most of it, were a horrendous joke.  I'm just so glad we are done with him, now. 

I'm honestly surprised that they didn't have Bran say "Lyanna was ice. Raheagar is fire. Jon Snow is the song of ice and fire." That's how blatant and bad the narration was. It was the equivalent of flashing neon lights on the screen for ten minutes that said JON AND DANY ARE RELATED. JON IS A TARGYREAN. DO YOU UNDERSTAND. Even my friends who have only ever been showwatchers felt like they ruined this moment of reveal that people have been waiting all these years for.

On Theon: I actually mildly liked the scenes with him, although they would be way better if he had been developed properly for the past 3-4 seasons. I imagine the conversation about him in the writers room went something like this:

Writer 1: We should probably have Theon do something.

Writer 2: Who's Theon?

Writer 1: The guy that had his dick chopped off.

Writer 2: Oh right I forgot he used to be a character on the show.

Writer 1: He's still on the show dude.

Writer 2: Whaaat? We're still paying that guy? No wonder our budget is so bad we have to cut each season down to 6 or 7 episodes. While we're at it we should probably bring Gendry back to, it says here in GRRM's sparknotes that Gendry "is important." 

Writer 1: Good call. What should we have Theon do?

Writer 2: Well he got his dick cut off so let's have him get in a fight where he wins because he has no dick.

Writer 1: Perfect!

11 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

I'm positive it reminded me I need to work out more.  

And be 15 years younger.  

:D:D:D 

This episode is good . Why? Otherwise I wouldn't have all these good rants. Thanks to all of you.

Glad I'm not the only one dissappointed with this season

- Why where there no defenses or anti dragon weaponry in King's Landing?

- Violence is good by definition if a Stark or a Targaryen uses it. 

- Non nobles are not people, and only nobles who does what starks and targaryens want are people

- The faith of the seven is dissapointing and should play a huge role, not some warped emperor cult that sees so calles nobles as demi gods

12 minutes ago, LokisRaider said:

I was talking to a friend who only watches the show and he was trying to tell me 2 things that made me understand (although I hate it) why the show does treat us like idiots.

First he was trying to convince me that Dany and Jon are brother and sister. This is how little some people pay attention to the plot and details of the show. 7 season in and people do not know the basic Targaryen family tree.

Second, he kept saying how it isn't clear and that we the viewer still do not know Jon's parentage. I actually thought he was messing with me. All he would reply is "well they haven't actually come out and confirmed it". The show needs to spoon feed the audience and hold their hands because a lot of their viewers do not actually pay attention to the show. They like, the show runners, pay attention to a scene then forget about it's meaning and how it impacts the story before and after as soon as said scene ends.

Ya, along those lines, a buddy of mine was like, "I rewatch a random episode before the new episode each week. So, I rewatched the one where Bran tells the story about the rat cook and then put together that it was foreshadowing the Freys death."  So, I won't say people just completely ignore key things from the show but more like they aren't as invested as a majority of us on here are. Not a big deal but I agree it takes away from the show because any questions viewers have can be answered in about 2 minutes after searching Google.

Why did Jon bend the knee and aggravate the North in return? If our loving couple love each other *vomits* so much couldn't they just marry and create some sort of a personal union? Since it looks like Dany-Jon is the endgame then I hope it'll be adressed in S8.

I just hated the whole episode.

- Sansa sending Brienne away to KL eventually led to nothing, how surprising.

- LF suffering from bad writing once again, completely unable to defend himself and tries to persuade Sansa by "you weren't there"

- I have zero idea if Arya and Sansa were playing LF the whole season or not, I'm inclined to say no but I am so confused about all the WF plot this season....

- Ghost still invisible

- Jon, Brienne, Tyrion, Bronn, the Hound and co. and all the Lannister soldiers peacefully marching together as best friends, no tension, no suspicion

- Heartsbane is probably in the same chamber of oblivion as Ghost. What was the point of stealing it last season when it wasn't mentioned the whole season?

- Theon vs that sailor. I didn't get the point of the fight at all.

- the whole "you're both a Stark and a Greyjoy" conversation was just stupid

- all the time wasted in KL was really wasted because it accomplish nothing, Cersei won't help them either way

- Tyrion becoming St. Tyrion the Holliest when sacrifying himself and going to talk to Cersei

- Bran apparently knows everything about everything but he didn't care to check that Jon's parents were married

- Sam didn't even notice Gilly mentioning Rhaegar's second wedding last time and suddenly he knows everything about it

And the award for the most stupid and ridiculous scene goes to... Jon going all teleshopping while demonstrating ways to kill a wight. Really?

Archived