[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

1 minute ago, Snormund said:

According to some posters on here it should be obvious that they're in love because of the way they make eye contact. And no I'm not kidding. Sadly. 

Posters from here? Not in this thread! but yes, there are some threads about their "epic" love story, :unsure:I just don't see it, and I'm not alone when asking other people

59 minutes ago, iprayiam said:

This has become a hallmark of the laziness of the show this season. Basically, anything we the audience are assumed to know is just hand waived by characters on screen. The show has no consistency, logic, or depth about what a character should actually know or believe in world.

Other Example:

• The audience knew the wall was coming down, so Jon basically treated it like it didn't exist
  • The audience knows Jon rose from the dead, and believes himself free from the Watch, so no other character questions his apparent oath breaking. In fact they all talk about what a man of his word he is.
  • The audience knows Jon is telling the truth about the WWs so Tyrion and Dany quickly believe him for plot convenience. 
  • The audience knows Cersei is a creator's pet, so nobody questions her reign or allying with her.
  • The audience knows Cersei has plot armor, so everybody acts like it would be difficult to defeat her and stupid to try, when there's logistically and ethically no reason either would be true.
  • The audience knows Tyrion is "smart" so everyone goes along with everything stupid he come up with.
  • The audience knows the show is going to make a ton of money, so nobody does anything reasonable or logical ever

Aye good post.  As I've said, I've not looked for faults in the show or the writing, and I've enjoyed the show immensely for the most part.  The showrunners showed that they have the talent to put together an amazing show in seasons 1-4, and although 5 and 6 were inferior, I never had much reason to complain and still thoroughly enjoyed them.  This season has been about set-pieces, 'moments' between characters and outright misleading the audience or setting up red herrings.  I don't blame the writers really, it's just unfortunate that Martin couldn't finish this latest book and maybe dedicated a little more time to the show, and the writers have been forced into making what usually makes a successful show, which GoT was never really about nor what made it successful in the first place.

That said, I would happily watch 8 seasons of the Hound wandering Westeros, Kung-Fu style, demanding chicken and calling everyone a cunt.  Seriously HBO, make it happen.

Just now, Meera of Tarth said:

Posters from here? Not in this thread! but yes, there are some threads about their "epic" love story, :unsure:I just don't see it, and I'm not alone when asking other people

There's no reason for them to be in love. It's completely out of character for Jon to become Dany's little bitch. It's completely out of character for Jon to make decisions with his cock. Dany has been a jerk to him all season. Even without the incest it's a horrible "love story". Add in the incest and it's just atrocious. Literally the only more disgusting partner for Jon would be Arya. 

1 hour ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

It was a vision from the past, not a metaphor. It could very well be Elia in the vision ofc. Wasn't Jon already born when Rhaegar went to the Trident? Confused about that chronology. But the show is prolly not following that anyway. 

Considering Lyanna's bed of blood seems to go with the actual act of childbirth (if not infection too a bit afterwards), I'm thinking Rhaegar had been dead a good couple months, at least, by the time Jon was born.  Ned had to hit KL after the Trident, have issues with Jaime, Tywin, and Robert, then go lift the siege at Storms End, then.....get his ass to Dorne to find Lyanna in that bed of blood.  So, two months is probably much too generous a guess between the time of Rhaegar's death and Jon's birth.  I'd say three months?  Maybish?  Two and a half months maybe, Ned probably was in a bit of a hurry.

14 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

and that reminds me....that the superRomance between the two members of the SuperFour team (Jon and Dany, aso known as Jonerys) had their romance offscreen, because I saw nothing onscreen.

HAHA :lol:

23 minutes ago, hallapino said:

omg. I just got it. What the writers should include is that the whole Robert's rebellion and execution of Rickard and Brandon Stark thing couldn't have been becuase Rhaegar and Lyanna were stupid but an accident. It must have gone something like this. The wedding was secret because the annulment had to be secret at first so the rape and kidnapping were just rumors.. Arthur brought his sister Ashara to witness the wedding. Rhaegar then sent her to KL to announce the marriage and to prepare for the celebrations. On the way she realized she had nothing to wear so she decided to drop off at Starfall. Then she realized that she at worn her best dress to Elia and Rhaegar's wedding so that wouldn't do. The dress maker just didn't have enough lace to make the cute little outfit she wanted so he had to send to Myr for more. The dressmaker really wanted the order so he didn't tell her this would take about 10 months.Later Ned happened to show up with Dawn at the same time as the lace courier. When Ned explained that the bride and groom, the fathers of the bride and groom, her brother Arthur the best man and most of the guests were dead well that was bad enough. But then she found out that the courier had brought the wrong color of lace. That put her over the top so she jumped out the window. End of story.   

Brilliant.

The show has been on a constant slope of decline since -

1. Tywin Lannister (who now plays Charles Dance) died.

2. They veered away too much from book material (GRRM must share the blame)

Still, it's better than most things out there. Just sad that they preferred a shortcut to the hard road which would have made this show sublime.

43 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Lol I take it you feel the same way about Jaqen's actor as I do about Carice Van Houten. :wub:

Ughhh, I just lost the first response I typed in answer to this question.  Yes, I adore him, adored him as Jaqen.  I was thrilled at the idea of his return, in spite of book deviations (contrary to popular opinion, not all critique of the show is because it is not exactly like the books, LOL).  Well, I should have known better because Tom's turn as The NotSoKindly Man had many more problems than that fugly bathrobe.  Still, he was the PERFECT Jaqen, and nothing can take that away from me.  So, I keep my avi, I keep MY WATCH, should I ever see him again. 

35 minutes ago, Snormund said:

<>

Before I get "but but incest isn't that bad and it doesn't start affecting offspring immediately" or some disgusting excuse, Jon and Dany themselves are already inbred! Especially Dany! She's inbred as fuck. Now you want her to produce an even more inbred dynasty? Sickening 

Exactly so.

16 minutes ago, Snormund said:

There's no reason for them to be in love. It's completely out of character for Jon to become Dany's little bitch. It's completely out of character for Jon to make decisions with his cock. Dany has been a jerk to him all season. Even without the incest it's a horrible "love story". Add in the incest and it's just atrocious. Literally the only more disgusting partner for Jon would be Arya. 

It is horrible "romance", and badly done.  No-one can convince me it's what GRRM intends.  I'll have to read it to believe it.

5 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Ughhh, I just lost the first response I typed in answer to this question.  Yes, I adore him, adored him as Jaqen.  I was thrilled at the idea of his return, in spite of book deviations (contrary to popular opinion, not all critique of the show is because it is not exactly like the books, LOL).  Well, I should have known better because Tom's turn as The NotSoKindly Man had many more problems than that fugly bathrobe.  Still, he was the PERFECT Jaqen, and nothing can take that away from me.  So, I keep my avi, I keep MY WATCH, should I ever see him again. 

For sure he's one handsome man. He did a great job in the show too I thought. He oozes suaveness

14 minutes ago, Snormund said:

Too bad Sansa wasn't around to help Ashara out with her dress. We all know she's a fashion (and armor) whiz 

Not this season, Romulan gear is all the fashion, and Sansa is just waiting for the raven feathers to come back in style. 

43 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Yep. Well said! The audience knowing what the show characters somehow know goes along with another horrible aspect the showrunners use - Characters earning it off screen.

The Blackfish retakes Riverrun. The Vale forces get past Moat Cailin in the north. Littlefinger somehow has the note Sansa was forced to write in season 1 to Robb. Jorah is infirmed at Oldtown. Arya hung out at the Twins for a couple weeks pretending to be Walder Frey. I could go on and on. But none of it matters. It all happened off screen, so we are supposed to just go with it just like the characters do.

We the audience knows everything that is happening, so fuck it, might as well make the characters know it too.

Agree with all your points and add to the bolded that it also survived the sacking and burning of Winterfell.

Just now, LokisRaider said:

Agree with all your points and add to the bolded that it also survived the sacking and burning of Winterfell.

That one is easily explainable.  The maesters are old and cynical enough to know that families rise and families fall, castles get sacked and burned, and would keep their records in the most secure place possible.

Archived