[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

2 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

How come Robert doesn't go looking for Lyanna?

Because Robert didn't really give a shit about Lyanna, but he loved the idea of her being the damsel to his hero.  

There was also the problem of his tacit approval of the murder of Rhaegar's wife* and children which created a huge rift between him and Ned.  

17 hours ago, 3sm1r said:

True that. By the way, the wight directly moved precisely toward Cersei as if he was domesticated to do so.

For the sake of sanity, I assume the wight was formerly someone Cersei had sent to the Wall, and he remembers her.

I also may have figured out the two Aegons issue. See, Elia's son Aegon (pronounced AY-gon) was named after Aegon I. Lyanna's son Aegon (pronounced EGG-on) was named after Aegon V. 

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

I'm furious that they butchered this storyline. The culmination of the story arc is that Sansa kills Petyr. That's what makes the most sense.

To say nothing of the fact that, as the ruling power of the North at this stage, Sansa must be the one to kill Petyr. The series opened with this very scene: Ned said, "Whoever passes the sentence swings the sword."

Sansa convicted Petyr, in front of a hall of northern lords, who would expect her to be the one to kill Petyr. It's the way of the First Men. Sansa getting Arya to do it - even though they are sisters - is a grave offence to their culture.

The reason they gave it to Arya was because Sansa took over the Ramsay-killing. In the books those two killings will be switched back to their rightful Starks.

To whoever said LF was beheaded, it would have been better if he had been. As it was the dagger barely touched him. Good thing Arya knows how far in the arteries are.

9 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

Don't forget that he experienced real pain at Ramsey's hand.  I'd imagine that might toughen you up to a kneeing.  

I'm with you on the three shots though.  That was two too many.  

You know when I experienced real pain? In the military. Now my shoulder, hip, and neck are shit. And you know what? If someone looks at any one of those, I curl up in a ball and whimper.

Can we do next season predictions?

I'm going to. So Jon and Dany and an army--whose size is bewildering hard to decipher--show up at Winterfell, and Sam runs up and says, "I need to talk to you!"

Jon warmly smiles with the wisdom of a man who has recently procreated and says, "In good time my friend. Much has to be done."

Sam silently protests!

Around the end of the episode, Sam witnesses an intimate moment between Jon and Dany. A kiss, hand holding, hell, knowing this show, a midthrust "I love you." And he decides, "Can I tell Jon?"

This internal battle goes on for...six episodes. All of Bran and Sam's scenes for the final season are debating whether or not they should tell Jon. Of course, Mr. Creep wants to, and Mr. Takes-Gilly's-Credit doesn't want to hurt his friend.

Just my two cents. Some day, in the dwindling spring, someone will read this post and call it spoilers I suppose, but it's not. It's just so easy to predict at this point. Ask yourself about any storyline: "How can we drag it out longer?" And then play that out in your mind. In every mind you have. Like Littlefinger would have done.

9 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

You know when I experienced real pain? In the military. Now my shoulder, hip, and neck are shit. And you know what? If someone looks at any one of those, I curl up in a ball and whimper.

The first time I blew my back out I didn't have a cool story to go with it.  I just woke up one morning and the pain was so bad I only made it halfway down my hallway before I had to lay down. 

Three hours on the floor was fun. 

My point though was that a seasoned boxer can reasonably take a punch better than someone whose never taken a hit before. 

When it comes to shots to the groin, Theon is arguably a seasoned boxer. ;)

Wasn't Grey Worm and the rest of the Unsullied trapped at Chastely Rock? How’d they manage to escape and travel a thousand miles on foot? Why would Cersei and Euron allow them to leave CR without attacking them?

Could we not go an episode without the D’s mistaking cock jokes and profanity for mature writing?

How does it make sense that Bronn would side with Cersei over the queen with dragons, Dothraki, Unsullied and the North on her side?

Just visually, Dany’s entrance on Drogon was lessened by the fact she already did the same thing at least twice this season, once even to an ally.

I’m supposed to believe that a schemer like Varys had absolutely nothing to say at the Dragonpit? At the very least, shouldn’t Qyburn or Cersei say something about their traitorous former small council member?

I’m not quite sure what Cersei was asking of Jon. That he wouldn’t attack her while they were allies fighting the White Walkers? Or that he would never move against her ever, even if they won the “Great War”? If it’s the former, why would he do that if they are allies? If it’s the latter, how could she remotely expect him to agree to that? And why would she attempt to negotiate with him since she sees him as a traitor that stole a third of her kingdom?

I have to say, the small little “Hollywood” moments of the episode really irritated me. The Hound knocking on the wight’s box (to remind viewers that somehow forgot about it from last episode), the wight not moving or making any noise until it was dumped out. I’m sure there were others, but the point is its inconsistent with the realistic and non-tropey world that was established in the first few seasons. Characters shouldn’t react like they know they’re on a TV show. Real life usually isn’t very dramatic or exciting, it’s often quite mundane and awkward. I can forgive high drama for the big twists or action scenes, but for something low-key and small like this just rubs me the wrong way.

What the hell was the wight hunt even for? How could any of the characters think that it would actually pay off? Why are they trying to get Cersei on their side anyways? What possible use would she be against the WW? Why didn’t Dany simply kill Cersei and Euron at the Dragonpit and take over King’s Landing? So losing Thoros and Viserion was for literally nothing, and was only contrived into existence so that the Night King could get a dragon.

Cersei’s hunch that something happened to the third dragon was quite a leap. As Jaime said, it could be off guarding something or even hunting for food. The fact that Cersei is the only one with any brains left who can accurately predict what people will do sickens me. Okay D&D, we get it, she’s your favorite. But did you have to make everyone else morons in the process? Couldn’t anyone see that Cersei would never agree to a truce? The fact that it’s almost certain her role in the books won’t be anything similar to this just compounds my frustration. Cersei should’ve died this episode. Why are they stringing out such a boring (but yes, well acted) character so long? And why is it that she’s the craziest person on the show but somehow still able to scheme and manipulate people so perfectly? Why isn’t King’s Landing in open revolt?

Littlefinger’s comeuppance was so predictable and boring. As I said when the Arya v Sansa scenes started, there was no secret plan. They really were at each others throats, it wasn’t an act for LF’s benefit to lure him in. It saddens me to see such a mastermind reduced to this (the person responsible for the setting off the Stark/Lannister conflict in the first place), but honestly I’m just glad to see him go. The character’s been useless since he killed Lysa. And shouldn’t Royce have a problem with Sansa sitting on her murder for so long? Why is it okay that she kept it from him and lied to his face? Sansa also comes off very stupid, that it took her until her conversation with Littlefinger THIS EPISODE to finally realize what he was after and how he was attempting to manipulate her.

I’m not sure which Tyrion I dislike more. The one that tries to teach Missandai and Grey Worm how to  make jokes or the one that can’t strategize and instead pouts and constantly glowers disapprovingly. As with so many other characters, there’s nothing interesting or likable about him anymore. I also was not a fan of Jon’s forgiveness. He may not have killed Bran or Rickon, but he betrayed Robb, sacked Winterfell, killed Ser Rodrick, caused Maester Luwin’s death, murdered two innocent young boys and allowed Sansa to be repeatedly raped and abused. Killing Ramsey’s girlfriend and helping Sansa escape doesn’t make up for all of his wrongs, and at the very least it isn’t Jon’s place to forgive him.

Ever since season 4 Theon’s done almost nothing of note. It’s bad enough that his Bolton arc was stolen by Sansa, but in place of that the D’s have given him nothing interesting to do. Like Tyrion, they should’ve just pulled a direwolf and killed him off. And the ball-less gag during the fight was just dumb. Getting hit there, even without a dick and/or balls would still hurt. Schoolyard level writing.

Why do they insist in putting off the conflict between Jaime and Cersei? Wouldn’t it have been more shocking and GoT-like to actually kill Jaime when she threatened him? Who watching this thought there was a chance he wouldn’t make it out alive? The fact that it took this long for him to leave her (but still not enough to kill her) sickens me. So much for his redemption arc. Too little too late, about 3 years too late in fact.

I can’t stress enough how lazy and frankly terrible the Bran/Sam montage was. It makes it more abundantly clear than ever that Bran is ridiculously overpowered. If he can so easily see past and current events, why hasn’t anybody utilized this amazing skill until now? Couldn’t Sansa or Arya used this to overcome their catfight? Couldn’t they have gotten advice for the wight hunt? Why can’t he solve almost any problem the characters face in the future? I also can’t understand why Jon was named Aegon when Rhaegar already had a son (who was still alive at the point) with the same name. Seems redundant and silly to me. It’s not like he’s Walder Frey with a hundred children.

And I have to say, Bran constantly chirping out “I’m the Three Eyed Raven” is as annoying as Danny Rand going “I’m the Immortal Iron Fist”. Especially given the fact that no one knows what the term even means.

Also, just on a sensual level, the Jon/Dany love scene did not live up to the hype. It was very short, and the only nudity was a quick flash of Kit’s butt? This is probably THE love story of the entire series, and this is all we get? The one time GoT should’ve delivered on the sex and it dropped the ball? The montage aspect with Bran’s voiceover also killed the mood and any enjoyment that could’ve been had. The scene is never allowed to breathe. And I can’t understand why Tyrion doesn’t approve. He doesn’t know they’re related, but even if he did Targaryens are known for it. Even his parents were cousins. Shouldn’t he be happy, a political marriage between Dany and the North should be great to solidify their power.

By far the most disappointing single sequence was the destruction of the Wall. I may be the only one, but to me the Night King actually riding on Viserion's back was just too over the top, too cartoonish. I’m not sure why I can buy the Nazgul but not this. It just seems to silly, even for me, a dyed in the wool genre fan. Maybe because there’s still no saddle and the NK actor isn’t doing any acting? They really emasculated the character when they recast. They should’ve brought back Richard Brake after the Bastard Executioner was cancelled. 

And a small nitpick, but why were Vision’s wings in tatters? He was only hit by the spear in a single spot on the neck. There’s no reason for that kind of damaged to have accrued since his death, besides the fact that it looks cool. Also, given the fact that his fire-breathing glands were damaged (and becoming a wight does not induce any sort of healing) how is it he’s able to breathe ice fire at all? And logically, Tormund and Beric should be dead, right? They didn’t have time to make it down off the wall. And there’s no way they were far enough on the other side to have escaped the collapse.

But on the whole, my biggest issue is how perfunctory and uninspired the dialogue is. There was a poetry and elegance to GRRM’s writing that the show now clearly lacks. So much of my enjoyment was bound up in the way the character’s could turn a phrase. I’ve said it before, but it really does feel like a Cliff Notes version of the show, or a bad fanfic. It saddens me that I can regularly predict exactly what a character will say.

People who thought Littlefinger's """trial""" was a well executed scene, should be forced to watch season 3 episode 5 of Better Call Saul -- that is how a trial scene that is the result of 2,5 seasons of baggage and build-up is done. Littlefinger's trial was a result of 7 seasons of plot, and it felt like an anticlimatic wet fart.

I mean, this is the show that had Tyrion's trial, and that was miles above whatever happened to Littlefinger.

Even if the plot makes no sense, the scenes themselves could be so much more exciting. DnD love writing scenes in a vacuum, and at this point they're not even able to make the scenes themselves interesting. Just imagine if Littlefinger almost wormed his way out, and the Starks would have to provide some actual evidence! Have the audience sit at the edge of their seats (given that they care at all). Make them think that Littlefinger might survive, instead of making it clear from the beginning that he's going to die because who cares about decent writing?

The dragon pit scene could also have been way more tense. There was just tonnes of awkward silence. I can't be the only one who cringed when the Hound talked to the Mountain and everyone else was silent as if it somehow mattered to them. Imagine if team Cersei and team Dany started to argue properly, Euron said or did something rash, no one would hear Tyrion or Jon trying to calm the situation down, and then, when you think a battle is going to erupt, the Hound presents the wight. Absolute silence. Sure, it isn't great, especially considering what kind of nonsense made that scene happen, but at least it would be tense and people might think something surprising might happen (but it won't, of course).

28 minutes ago, The Lord of Cinder said:

People who thought Littlefinger's """trial""" was a well executed scene, should be forced to watch season 3 episode 5 of Better Call Saul

Agreed. BCS is great. But are there really people who think Littlefinger's trial was a well executed scene? I mean, you can cheer for his death, fair enough, but how can anybody possibly argue that the trial was well executed?

Just now, 3sm1r said:

Agreed. BCS is great. But are there really people who think Littlefinger's trial was a well executed scene? I mean, you can cheer for his death, fair enough, but how can anybody possibly argue that the trial was well executed?

I'm baffled about this as well. It was plain murder;

Also Better Call Saul is great!

I honestly think that the war vs the Night King will only take place in the first two episodes, three at most since that's just enough time to cover it considering each episode is the length of 1.5 hours as I recall. Not too many casualties either.

The Stark children, Tyrion, Sam and Gilly, Varys will remain in the relative safety of Winterfell (since the dead can't breach the walls anyway without the dragon, which will be kept occupied by Jon and maybe Dany) guarded by Davos, the Hound and Brienne and a handful of Vale and Dothraki soldiers.

The armies of the Vale, the Dothraki, the Unsullied and some Lannisters forces (gathered along the way) will be led by Jon and Dany, Jora, Greyworm, Royce and Jaimie and Bronn.

Jon meets face to face with the Night King, kills him off and the entire undead zombie is stopped.

3 minutes ago, 3sm1r said:

I've had friends tell me that it is amazing how all of Littlefinger's scheming has led to this, how all of his crimes have been laid bare on the table for all to see, and how it is poetic that he got out-schemed by the Starks. I don't know if they neccessarily think it's a great trial scene, but they certainly do think it's a great scene and a great way for him to die.

On another note: Was there supposed to be some kind of parallel between how Littlefinger died and how Cat died? Arya stepped into the frame and slit his throat just like that Frey stepped into the frame and slit Cat's throat. Both were also on their knees. Is it like poetry? Does it rhyme?

8 minutes ago, Fiery Heart said:

I'm confused why anything thinks Littlefinger had a trial, clearly he did not. He was  guilty of his crimes, Sansa and Arya know this as fact, so was executed. What the hell would be the point of a trial?

But everyone in the show acted as if it was justice served, e.g. some sort of a trial. Because if it wasn't, then Yohn Royce surely had to think this: "Wait a minute, what Sansa's saying now is completely the opposite of what she said in the Vale when she testified that Littlefinger actually saved her!" Isn't that the most logical line of thoughts in his position, regardless of what he feels towards Littlefinger?

And the fact is, Sansa is of course aware that Yohn and others remember her testimony from the Vale. Or she would be, if she was a competently written character. But she isn't, because the authors (D&D) don't know the first thing about competent writing, so naturally her earlier testimony wasn't even addressed, which is all the more stupid because of the fact that her letter to Robb was made into a much bigger deal, or at least that's what we were lead to believe.

Really now, in what universe Sansa's letter to Robb from season one matters, but Sansa's testimony in season 4 doesn't? If anything, her testimony should be more relevant than her letter, because she didn't testify under any threat, unlike the letter which she clearly didn't write just on her own free will.

So yes, the entire scene goes against the logic already established by the show itself in earlier seasons. What I do agree with you is that people actually give too much credit to D&D when they ask about the trial. Nothing even resembling trial ever crossed D&D's minds, that's guaranteed. They have no understanding whatsoever how does a law function in a feudal society, they obviously don't understand the need for a trial. In their incompetence, they think it's enough if Stark kids know the truth, because everybody else then has to too. That's why the writing is so bad: it's doesn't hold under any scrutiny and it wouldn't hold in any even remotely realistic universe.

25 minutes ago, Fiery Heart said:

I'm confused why anything thinks Littlefinger had a trial, clearly he did not. He was  guilty of his crimes, Sansa and Arya know this as fact, so was executed. What the hell would be the point of a trial?

Maybe my definition of trial is a bit elastic but, well, she said:

"you stand accused of murder, you stand accused of treason, how do you answer these charges?"

Now, I obviously don't expect the same complexity in the procedure that we have today, but if he's given the opportunity to answer the charges, I'd say we can call it a trial.

7 hours ago, Elayis said:

Wasn't Grey Worm and the rest of the Unsullied trapped at Chastely Rock? How’d they manage to escape and travel a thousand miles on foot? Why would Cersei and Euron allow them to leave CR without attacking them?

Could we not go an episode without the D’s mistaking cock jokes and profanity for mature writing?

How does it make sense that Bronn would side with Cersei over the queen with dragons, Dothraki, Unsullied and the North on her side?

Just visually, Dany’s entrance on Drogon was lessened by the fact she already did the same thing at least twice this season, once even to an ally.

I’m supposed to believe that a schemer like Varys had absolutely nothing to say at the Dragonpit? At the very least, shouldn’t Qyburn or Cersei say something about their traitorous former small council member?

I’m not quite sure what Cersei was asking of Jon. That he wouldn’t attack her while they were allies fighting the White Walkers? Or that he would never move against her ever, even if they won the “Great War”? If it’s the former, why would he do that if they are allies? If it’s the latter, how could she remotely expect him to agree to that? And why would she attempt to negotiate with him since she sees him as a traitor that stole a third of her kingdom?

I have to say, the small little “Hollywood” moments of the episode really irritated me. The Hound knocking on the wight’s box (to remind viewers that somehow forgot about it from last episode), the wight not moving or making any noise until it was dumped out. I’m sure there were others, but the point is its inconsistent with the realistic and non-tropey world that was established in the first few seasons. Characters shouldn’t react like they know they’re on a TV show. Real life usually isn’t very dramatic or exciting, it’s often quite mundane and awkward. I can forgive high drama for the big twists or action scenes, but for something low-key and small like this just rubs me the wrong way.

What the hell was the wight hunt even for? How could any of the characters think that it would actually pay off? Why are they trying to get Cersei on their side anyways? What possible use would she be against the WW? Why didn’t Dany simply kill Cersei and Euron at the Dragonpit and take over King’s Landing? So losing Thoros and Viserion was for literally nothing, and was only contrived into existence so that the Night King could get a dragon.

Cersei’s hunch that something happened to the third dragon was quite a leap. As Jaime said, it could be off guarding something or even hunting for food. The fact that Cersei is the only one with any brains left who can accurately predict what people will do sickens me. Okay D&D, we get it, she’s your favorite. But did you have to make everyone else morons in the process? Couldn’t anyone see that Cersei would never agree to a truce? The fact that it’s almost certain her role in the books won’t be anything similar to this just compounds my frustration. Cersei should’ve died this episode. Why are they stringing out such a boring (but yes, well acted) character so long? And why is it that she’s the craziest person on the show but somehow still able to scheme and manipulate people so perfectly? Why isn’t King’s Landing in open revolt?

Littlefinger’s comeuppance was so predictable and boring. As I said when the Arya v Sansa scenes started, there was no secret plan. They really were at each others throats, it wasn’t an act for LF’s benefit to lure him in. It saddens me to see such a mastermind reduced to this (the person responsible for the setting off the Stark/Lannister conflict in the first place), but honestly I’m just glad to see him go. The character’s been useless since he killed Lysa. And shouldn’t Royce have a problem with Sansa sitting on her murder for so long? Why is it okay that she kept it from him and lied to his face? Sansa also comes off very stupid, that it took her until her conversation with Littlefinger THIS EPISODE to finally realize what he was after and how he was attempting to manipulate her.

I’m not sure which Tyrion I dislike more. The one that tries to teach Missandai and Grey Worm how to  make jokes or the one that can’t strategize and instead pouts and constantly glowers disapprovingly. As with so many other characters, there’s nothing interesting or likable about him anymore. I also was not a fan of Jon’s forgiveness. He may not have killed Bran or Rickon, but he betrayed Robb, sacked Winterfell, killed Ser Rodrick, caused Maester Luwin’s death, murdered two innocent young boys and allowed Sansa to be repeatedly raped and abused. Killing Ramsey’s girlfriend and helping Sansa escape doesn’t make up for all of his wrongs, and at the very least it isn’t Jon’s place to forgive him.

Ever since season 4 Theon’s done almost nothing of note. It’s bad enough that his Bolton arc was stolen by Sansa, but in place of that the D’s have given him nothing interesting to do. Like Tyrion, they should’ve just pulled a direwolf and killed him off. And the ball-less gag during the fight was just dumb. Getting hit there, even without a dick and/or balls would still hurt. Schoolyard level writing.

Why do they insist in putting off the conflict between Jaime and Cersei? Wouldn’t it have been more shocking and GoT-like to actually kill Jaime when she threatened him? Who watching this thought there was a chance he wouldn’t make it out alive? The fact that it took this long for him to leave her (but still not enough to kill her) sickens me. So much for his redemption arc. Too little too late, about 3 years too late in fact.

I can’t stress enough how lazy and frankly terrible the Bran/Sam montage was. It makes it more abundantly clear than ever that Bran is ridiculously overpowered. If he can so easily see past and current events, why hasn’t anybody utilized this amazing skill until now? Couldn’t Sansa or Arya used this to overcome their catfight? Couldn’t they have gotten advice for the wight hunt? Why can’t he solve almost any problem the characters face in the future? I also can’t understand why Jon was named Aegon when Rhaegar already had a son (who was still alive at the point) with the same name. Seems redundant and silly to me. It’s not like he’s Walder Frey with a hundred children.

And I have to say, Bran constantly chirping out “I’m the Three Eyed Raven” is as annoying as Danny Rand going “I’m the Immortal Iron Fist”. Especially given the fact that no one knows what the term even means.

Also, just on a sensual level, the Jon/Dany love scene did not live up to the hype. It was very short, and the only nudity was a quick flash of Kit’s butt? This is probably THE love story of the entire series, and this is all we get? The one time GoT should’ve delivered on the sex and it dropped the ball? The montage aspect with Bran’s voiceover also killed the mood and any enjoyment that could’ve been had. The scene is never allowed to breathe. And I can’t understand why Tyrion doesn’t approve. He doesn’t know they’re related, but even if he did Targaryens are known for it. Even his parents were cousins. Shouldn’t he be happy, a political marriage between Dany and the North should be great to solidify their power.

By far the most disappointing single sequence was the destruction of the Wall. I may be the only one, but to me the Night King actually riding on Viserion's back was just too over the top, too cartoonish. I’m not sure why I can buy the Nazgul but not this. It just seems to silly, even for me, a dyed in the wool genre fan. Maybe because there’s still no saddle and the NK actor isn’t doing any acting? They really emasculated the character when they recast. They should’ve brought back Richard Brake after the Bastard Executioner was cancelled. 

And a small nitpick, but why were Vision’s wings in tatters? He was only hit by the spear in a single spot on the neck. There’s no reason for that kind of damaged to have accrued since his death, besides the fact that it looks cool. Also, given the fact that his fire-breathing glands were damaged (and becoming a wight does not induce any sort of healing) how is it he’s able to breathe ice fire at all? And logically, Tormund and Beric should be dead, right? They didn’t have time to make it down off the wall. And there’s no way they were far enough on the other side to have escaped the collapse.

But on the whole, my biggest issue is how perfunctory and uninspired the dialogue is. There was a poetry and elegance to GRRM’s writing that the show now clearly lacks. So much of my enjoyment was bound up in the way the character’s could turn a phrase. I’ve said it before, but it really does feel like a Cliff Notes version of the show, or a bad fanfic. It saddens me that I can regularly predict exactly what a character will say.

Well said mate, I have said similar things in other posts myself, but you put it all together nicely, especially with Cersei, it's pointless getting her onside, logically she should not have any power, it was all just contrived to get the Nights King a dragon. Perhaps he is actually skin changing Tyrion and other characters all along to get what he wants when he wants it!

2 hours ago, The Lord of Cinder said:

On another note: Was there supposed to be some kind of parallel between how Littlefinger died and how Cat died? Arya stepped into the frame and slit his throat just like that Frey stepped into the frame and slit Cat's throat. Both were also on their knees. Is it like poetry? Does it rhyme?

I thought this as well, although I didn't think Cat was on her knees (I could be wrong?).

It kind of sickened me to be honest. I get that it could be read as poetic justice but it also links LF intrinsically to Cat, which he doesn't deserve.

Archived