[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

On 12/9/2017 at 11:16 AM, Faera said:

The wording, "from the ending", indicates to me that it is an aspect rather than the whole ending itself. Again, I doubt GRRM would have told them the ACTUAL full ending because... why would he want a TV show he has no control over blow all his ideas? So, he gave them an outline and probably those three "twists" that he didn't mind them revealing ahead of time.

It might even be that it was agreed between D&D and GRRM what could be revealed and what would be changed. Really, they had no choice but to make things up after they blew through all of ADwD.

Agreed. Its an aspect of the ending. 

Adam whitehead had an interesting view on what D&D know and what GRRM told him

He modified that later on, after he provided information to Benioff & Weiss, pointing out that they now have the broadest strokes of how the story ends but not every (or most) of the beats between the end of ADWD and the end of the series as a whole, as GRRM was still making that up. So a writer could now get to GRRM's intended ending but would have to make up a lot of the intervening events (as indeed Benioff and Weiss have done).”

On 12/9/2017 at 4:57 PM, Faera said:

For the "three shocking twists" that GRRM gave them in the famous 2013 outline meeting, see this interview with Entertainment Weekly. These were indeed Shireen's fate, Hodor's name and the ending. Likewise, from when they officially surpassed the books, they made it clear that S6 would not spoil the books. This may even mean that even though Hodor's name reveal would be the same, the context of how it happens might be drastically different. We can safely assume S7 didn't really spoil anything because so much of it piggy-backed off of S6, and at least the majority of S8 probably won't be like the aside from some big reveal at the end.

Thank you, interesting read. I still hold out hope for Stannis having nothing to do with Shireen's burning. 

On the being spoiled front, I don't see how they can claim the show won't spoil the books when they both end in broadly the same way. It's one thing to spoil something like Hold the door and another thing entirely to reveal key elements of the culmination of the story. If that's not being spoiled I don't know what is.

9 hours ago, Starkistbeforethedawn said:

On the being spoiled front, I don't see how they can claim the show won't spoil the books when they both end in broadly the same way. It's one thing to spoil something like Hold the door and another thing entirely to reveal key elements of the culmination of the story. If that's not being spoiled I don't know what is.

I wouldn't be too worried.  I don't think they will. You can include elements of the story but once the context has been changed, or even the characters have been shifted around, then it takes on a different form of its own.Besides, I have to believe that GRRM is smart enough not to have revealed anything he didn't mind. Likewise, I'm sure that D&D have already heavily altered the rough outline they were given anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if, once we read the books, the ending and how it was reached will be completely different. 

11 hours ago, Faera said:

I wouldn't be too worried.  I don't think they will. You can include elements of the story but once the context has been changed, or even the characters have been shifted around, then it takes on a different form of its own.Besides, I have to believe that GRRM is smart enough not to have revealed anything he didn't mind. Likewise, I'm sure that D&D have already heavily altered the rough outline they were given anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if, once we read the books, the ending and how it was reached will be completely different. 

Agree a lot with this. I think the ending will be loosely the same. I think f/aegon is important for the end game. I think Euron has a whole other approach going on, along with other things. That the ending might be very roughly the same, but I think when we finally (if we ever get to) read the books, things will be much different. To me, the show is just a whole separate thing at this point.

• 1 month later...

Archived