4 minutes ago, J. Stargaryen said:

He didn't. Rhaegar was expecting a girl. Only picked out a girl's name. Aside from the names resembling the original trio, the biggest clue for that is the HotU scene:

He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany’s, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. “There must be one more,” he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. “The dragon has three heads.” - ACoK, Daenerys IV (HotU)

Rhaegar says "There must be one more (dragon head)" while seemingly looking at Dany. I don't think he was literally looking at her, but it's a clue that he envisioned the third head as female. Hence why he never picked a boy's name for Lyanna's child. 

I really hope so, because setting aside his son with Elia makes my blood boil.

1 minute ago, nara said:

I really hope so, because setting aside his son with Elia makes my blood boil.

I definitely don't think that happened. I think the annulment was a D&D shortcut, so they wouldn't have to explain Targaryen/Valyrian polygamy and its legal ramifications. Not even 100% sure it means Elia's children were illegitimate. At least in D&D's version. 

Oh and I'm sure everybody agrees that we are only watching the shows because we so want to know what is going to happen, and we can't wait for the books. But.... The shows are often so far off the mark and disappointing, I wonder if we aren't doing us a great disservice by watching them.

I have rewatched all the shows two or three times, and reread the books countless times, and I still come to the same conclusion everytime. "The books are soooooo much better!. But All I can say is suck it up if we aren't satisfied with how it's going in the shows. If we watch them that's our punishment.

A comforting thought is that GRRM has said he doesn't let anybody influence the way he thinks a character is going to go in the books So I trust whatever reasons he has for Raegar and Lyanna being married wilst Raegar still being married to Elia will be allot more satisfactory in the books. And that goes for any other thing that the show writers screwed up.

But hey, they will have to carry us on until our dear GRRM finally releases the two final books! 

37 minutes ago, Reisendame said:

And she recently advised Jon/ Aegon(?!) that the dragons are the only children she'll ever have. I think she'll have his baby, but something tragic will happen- she might die in childbirth or something.

Tyrion was very dismayed about the Jon-Dany hookup. I hope he and Sansa reunite. 

Well it could be because Tyrion has betrayed Danny to Cersei. But I think it more likely that he knows that his sister cannot be trusted and will break her word.

24 minutes ago, Reisendame said:

Did they actually marry in the show? I remember an engagement, but there was def no ceremony (and def no consummation). 

I seem to recall that she was engaged and then called it off.

19 minutes ago, Reisendame said:

Right?? Weird that Bran knows of Jon's parentage, but still thinks he's a bastard. 

Also: I guess Sam *was*'listening to Gilly?? That's confusing. 

Was Gilly reading the original manuscript or Sam's copy?

2 hours ago, jandslegate said:

I think Tyrion may have betrayed Dany. The first hint is Tyrion and Cersei's negotiation resolving off screen. Second is when Cersei reveals to Jaime that, surprise, she's actually still doing Cersei things. Not to mention her quip about Jaime always being the dumbest. Finally, Tyrion creeping on the boat. I know it's a long way to go before we would get proof but I just got a bad vibe from Tyrion from the Cersei meeting onward. Plus it's been posed before that Tyrion could be the third of Dany's betrayals. 

As for Tormund and Beric, I really hope they made it but it seems unlikely. At best, it's slim odds to survive that portion of the wall falling and the reality is that even if they survived they're dead (lolpun) smack in the path of the million zombie march. Man, I really liked Tormund too...

I would prefer Tyrion to betray Dany than to just become a useless idiot. He was a brilliant Hand under Joffrey, and he's become completely incompetent under Dany. He comes up with this idiotic plan to send everyone to capture a wight. Then when they get stuck there, he tells Dany to leave them. Politically, neither the North nor the Vale would ever help them if their king never came back from Dragonstone.

And of course, Tyrion's plan hands the night king the one thing he needs to destroy the wall, PLUS Cersei still won't help them. And they have lost Dorne and the Reach (although Dorne should still support Dany, because they hate the Lannisters). Basically, Dany needs a new Hand.

45 minutes ago, J. Stargaryen said:

I definitely don't think that happened. I think the annulment was a D&D shortcut, so they wouldn't have to explain Targaryen/Valyrian polygamy and its legal ramifications. Not even 100% sure it means Elia's children were illegitimate. At least in D&D's version. 

I think it likely D&D don't want to get into the backstory any more than they have to. There are plenty of signs that the book story is a lot more complex than the show.

By the time show Jon is born, Rheagar is dead and so are his other two children. So calling the new child Aegon is not really replacing the others.

7 minutes ago, hallam said:

I think it likely D&D don't want to get into the backstory any more than they have to. There are plenty of signs that the book story is a lot more complex than the show.

By the time show Jon is born, Rheagar is dead and so are his other two children. So calling the new child Aegon is not really replacing the others.

Exactly. And since Rhaegar named his original son and heir Aegon, Lyanna would be honoring his wishes in a way, since her child would now be Rhaegar's only remaining son and heir. GRRM says we're supposed to get a second Dance in the story, which is interesting since there were two Aegons during the first Dance. Which might hint at fAegon becoming Aegon VI and Jon Aegon VII. Odd numbered Aegons are good, even numbered are bad. 

1 minute ago, J. Stargaryen said:

Exactly. And since Rhaegar named his original son and heir Aegon, Lyanna would be honoring his wishes in a way, since her child would now be Rhaegar's only remaining son and heir. GRRM says we're supposed to get a second Dance in the story, which is interesting since there were two Aegons during the first Dance. Which might hint at fAegon becoming Aegon VI and Jon Aegon VII. Odd numbered Aegons are good, even numbered are bad. 

I think R+L=J is way too simple for the books.

i got so worried for Jaime when cersei almost had him killed. 

I'm so glad they showed us rhaegar targaryen that was really cool. And Jon snows name is Aegon Targaryen! Awesome!

Good humor too. 

Jaime finally is done with cersei's bullshit! Awesome

We have to wait till 2019 for the next season?? With only six episodes it's going to be so epic

im worried for tormund though. I wonder if he makes it out of there alive. That ending scene with the wall was crazy

amazing episode

Edited by Kingslayer96

13 minutes ago, Progmetty said:

I liked the finale okay. Everything I was expecting to happen has happened except I didn't care much for the way they handled the Bran/Sam reveal, I wanted to see Jon Snow finding out! That bit of acting and dialouge I've been looking forward to for so long would have been amazing! Instead they did a reveal for the 3 HBO viewers who have not been privileged enough to have an internet connection for the past 7 years.
When I complain about GoT, I'm only doing it against the standard they set. At it's worst it's still simply the best thing that's ever been on TV.

I have no idea what you wrote because there is so little contrast between the text and the default background. 

I'm sure it was insightful for your first post. 

18 minutes ago, hallam said:

I think R+L=J is way too simple for the books.

D&D are all about breaking the internet. What's more likely to accomplish that goal, revealing the worst kept secret in fandom, or revealing that the worst kept secret in fandom is wrong?

1 hour ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

One thing I actually liked about the episode was the Arya/Sansa part, it's caused such a fuss whether or not the Stark sisters were plotting this offscreen.  Or they were arguing for real, Sansa got fed up and went to Bran, and told her the truth about everything.

I actually took the whole fiasco to be more that Sansa was buying the things Littlefinger was saying, until LF tried telling her that Arya was doing it all so that she could replace her as Lady of Winterfell.... which is when Sansa finally realizes that Arya would pretty much hate everything about being being a Lady, so that would be an incredibly stupid, and out of character reasoning for Arya to be a threat, and as such finally realizes LF is playing her.

At least that's what I think was supposed to be the intent there, even if the overall plot fell quite flat on selling it.... Not unlike when they tried to sell Cersei/Jaime's "consensual" sex scene next to Joffrey's corpse as consensual a few seasons back.

2 hours ago, Lady Beyond the Wall said:

To me it seemed he never thought to look for a marriage, he still believed the rebellion had cause, and resolved to the idea of Lyanna as an impregnated prisoner.. Once he looked for a wedding he found the truth.

That's fairly how I saw it too. I assumed he heard Lyanna saying Aegon Targaryen but thought that because they weren't married, Jon's still a bastard.

2 hours ago, Lady Beyond the Wall said:

So the ice dragon can fly to Winterfell in a few hours and desecrate it. The dead will/could arrive before Jon and Co.

I would love to see this happen. A lot of speculation is that the final battle with the Night King will be at Winterfell. It would be amazing if it was taken out in the first episode of Season 8. That would really change the game.