so did tormound and beric survive

They both will survive to later die in the bigger fight against the army of the dead. There is no Tormund/Brienne relationship, so he's not surviving for that purpose. Now that the wall is breached, Tormund and Beric serve no real narrative purpose other than for the show to kill off named characters in the final season.

6 minutes ago, BulletTooth_Tony said:

Maybe Beric less so... but they've built up these guys on screen far too much to give them a death off of it.  They'll probably end up at Castle Black, having walked the top of the wall to get there... then somehow manage to get back to Winterfell quicker than the army does.

Haha. Good point, since apparently everyone other than the Army of the Dead can fast travel.

11 minutes ago, BulletTooth_Tony said:

Maybe Beric less so... but they've built up these guys on screen far too much to give them a death off of it.  They'll probably end up at Castle Black, having walked the top of the wall to get there... then somehow manage to get back to Winterfell quicker than the army does.

I get the panic, but why was everyone trying to go down when the wall was literally falling down.  Eastwatch was literally on the edge of that cliff so it made more sense to run along the wall. Also, the whole point for that was a cliffhanger and nothing more.  They've built up there characters so they get an on screen death.

1 hour ago, Sir Dingleberry said:

I get the panic, but why was everyone trying to go down when the wall was literally falling down.  Eastwatch was literally on the edge of that cliff so it made more sense to run along the wall. Also, the whole point for that was a cliffhanger and nothing more.  They've built up there characters so they get an on screen death.

They'll probably also serve as the plot device to let the approximately 20-man strong (I'm sure it's more...) Night's Watch know they can leave finally, you'll get a Dolorous Edd reunion at Winterfell too.

Got the impression they both booked it along the top of the wall instead of trying to get down they were on the edge of the stable side.

As for why so many ran down instead of along top, I think it just boils down to human instinct, the wall is collapsing, you dont have time to think if it is just a section or if it is the whole thing.  If something is collapsing then your first instinct is to get off of it.  

14 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I am curious about whether they survived or not and was wondering if it was implied that they did or didn't?

Given the Olympian athletic abilities of characters in the show, I image they had no trouble negotiating the 1000 foot descent in the few minutes it took for the wall to come down.

In any case, they have to survive so they can relay the news of the wall coming down to Winterfell.

Otherwise the dead would just overrun the north and it would be a very short war.

15 hours ago, robasp2 said:

Yes..

They moved to the uncollapsed section of the wall. The scene where tormund and beric run and a random dude falls below was put there to let us know.

I have to rewatch it, but I feel like we saw the scene you mentioned but then the whole fucking section of wall cme down when they went to a wide shot. It was hard to tell where T&B were in relation to that. It seemed like all of Eastwatch is gone. It'd be hard to believe people survived that, but since we didn't really get a death scene for either character it's safe to assume some fan service will happen in S8 and they'll both be back along with Gendry.

21 hours ago, tugela said:

Given the Olympian athletic abilities of characters in the show, I image they had no trouble negotiating the 1000 foot descent in the few minutes it took for the wall to come down.

In any case, they have to survive so they can relay the news of the wall coming down to Winterfell.

Otherwise the dead would just overrun the north and it would be a very short war.

well bran can see everything so he might know.

On 28.8.2017 at 10:31 AM, robasp2 said:

Yes..

They moved to the uncollapsed section of the wall. The scene where tormund and beric run and a random dude falls below was put there to let us know.

This is my take as well. They made it to the part of the wall that did not collapse. Walking to Castle Black is the best option now.

15 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I have to rewatch it, but I feel like we saw the scene you mentioned but then the whole fucking section of wall cme down when they went to a wide shot. It was hard to tell where T&B were in relation to that. It seemed like all of Eastwatch is gone. It'd be hard to believe people survived that, but since we didn't really get a death scene for either character it's safe to assume some fan service will happen in S8 and they'll both be back along with Gendry.

This.  These characters have been too established and have too much going on story-wise to be killed like that.  They'll probably show up at Winterfell with all the characters converging there so we can get some closure with them.  

Archived