Will we get Connington next season? (books spoilers)

So the Golden Company is on its way to help Cersei. But now we know Jon's birth name, Aegon. This means that all the stuff related to book Aegon is pretty much irrelevant, and that show Rhaegar really was a major douche. But besides all this.

Will the show bring Jon C as the commander of the Golden Company, or will they just have Harry Strickland or a nameless dude? Because if it will be Jon C, then I don't see how they're not going to give him his backstory with Rhaegar, in which case the GC could switch sides, once Jon Snow declares himself as Aegon Targaryen. Then again, next season is only 6 episodes long, so the Golden Company may just fulfill the role advertised for them.

There's no way they're going to do anything like that.

They'd have to dump a ton of background on us—who JonConn is (he was mentioned exactly once in the first 7 seasons), what his relationship with Rhaegar was, the fact that the GC are Blackfyre and what being Blackfyre means before diving into the JonConn-Rhaegar relationship so it'll be a shock that they'd switch to Dany, etc. And there's no storytelling benefit to any of it. Nobody but the book snobs would care, and the book snobs' response would just be "Did D&D forget that the GC is run by Harry Strickland, not JonConn? Are they idiots, or do they expect us to be idiots?" So, why do it?

Jon Connington, if he shows up that is, is more likely to support the Targaryens. In the books they break a contract to fight for "Aegon Targaryen".

Its either that or, like some of the "leaked season 8 scripts" indicate ..

Spoiler

the Golden Company comes in like an evil deus-ex machina that magically beats everyone of the "good guys" from the Dothraki or the Unsullied to the Northerners to the Knights of the Vale that remain after the Great War, and puts Euron on the throne. That would be terribly contrived writing, but I would not put it past the show. We do not know how much detail GRRM has given them about the endgame.

Doubtful.  Maybe they cast some "leader" of the GC to take Cersei's orders and name him JonCon, but it won't be anymore than a superficial nod to the books.  That character woudln't have JonCon's personality or experience the arc George has him on.  How could he with no Aegon?   

Though I do think the Golden Company in the show will be performing the same function as they ultimately will in the books....fight against Dany/Jon while they are trying to deal with the WW threat.

In the show, it will be Cersei ordering them to do it, in the books it will be a greyscale maddened JonCon after Aegon is dead.  JonCon will eventually be attacking Rhaegar's true son...his entire arc is meant to be a tragedy imo.  One of the worst in the series.     

2 hours ago, daemonTheBlack said:

Jon Connington, if he shows up that is, is more likely to support the Targaryens. In the books they break a contract to fight for "Aegon Targaryen".

Its either that or, like some of the "leaked season 8 scripts" indicate ..

Reveal hidden contents

the Golden Company comes in like an evil deus-ex machina that magically beats everyone of the "good guys" from the Dothraki or the Unsullied to the Northerners to the Knights of the Vale that remain after the Great War, and puts Euron on the throne. That would be terribly contrived writing, but I would not put it past the show. We do not know how much detail GRRM has given them about the endgame.

I thought leaked content was illegal here in any form.  I would have gotten banned for this post.

4 hours ago, falcotron said:

There's no way they're going to do anything like that.

They'd have to dump a ton of background on us—who JonConn is (he was mentioned exactly once in the first 7 seasons), what his relationship with Rhaegar was, the fact that the GC are Blackfyre and what being Blackfyre means before diving into the JonConn-Rhaegar relationship so it'll be a shock that they'd switch to Dany, etc. And there's no storytelling benefit to any of it. Nobody but the book snobs would care, and the book snobs' response would just be "Did D&D forget that the GC is run by Harry Strickland, not JonConn? Are they idiots, or do they expect us to be idiots?" So, why do it?

They wouldn't have to introduce the Blackfyres. And I doubt D&D still care about the criticism they get nowadays from "book snobs". All they would need is someone to say that JonConn was best buds with Rhaegar. But I guess Cersei wouldn't trust him.

3 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Introducing young griff and Connington  at this stage, with only six episodes left, seems unlikely.

I didn't say anything about young griff. If Jon is Aegon, then there will be no young griff. But I think there is still some possibility for JonConn.

32 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

And I doubt D&D still care about the criticism they get nowadays from "book snobs". 

Sure, but I doubt even more they're still going to go out of their way to include stuff that nobody but book snobs will care about.

And there's really no other reason to change the leader of the GC from Harry Strickland to JonConn except to tell book snobs, "Hey, look, it's JonConn".

GRRM mentioned his Name under the characters that have been cut from the show. He did this every time he spoke about missing characters in the show. His latest mention was in his recent interview in July and August. 

But, and that is really interesting, he never mentioned Young Griff/Aegon. Never. You would assume, since he is mentioning Connington, he would also mension Aegon, since both of them are the same storyline. But he has never said that Aegon is been cut from the show. I find that really interesting. If the Golden Company is back in the show, who knows....

4 hours ago, Ser Wun Wun said:

Doubtful.  Maybe they cast some "leader" of the GC to take Cersei's orders and name him JonCon, but it won't be anymore than a superficial nod to the books.  That character woudln't have JonCon's personality or experience the arc George has him on.  How could he with no Aegon?   

Though I do think the Golden Company in the show will be performing the same function as they ultimately will in the books....fight against Dany/Jon while they are trying to deal with the WW threat.

In the show, it will be Cersei ordering them to do it, in the books it will be a greyscale maddened JonCon after Aegon is dead.  JonCon will eventually be attacking Rhaegar's true son...his entire arc is meant to be a tragedy imo.  One of the worst in the series.     

I agree with this. Likely when the GC is introduced, they'll have some sort of leader and named character to represent them, which may be named Jon Connigton as a nod to the books, but is unlikely to have anything to do with his book counterpart.

In order for JC to work in the show they just have to slap him on the head of the GC, have a scene of him looking longingly at Westeros and say to a redshirt "im finally home, gone since my Best friend was murdered in the trident, now im helping the wife of the man who caved his chest in" the another Rhaegar+JC friendship reference in the mouth of an established character, you name it, Jorah, Beric, Jaime, any one who is old enough to have known Rhaegar.. that would be enough to establish him at least by show standards, we're overthinking the possible plot when the producers have shown us that for them the simpler the better, i wouldn't been surprised if they took off the part about the GC being born from the BF war and have its origin in RR.. 

To be clear i would hate this, the BF rebellion its one of the richest pieces of history inside ASOIAF universe, to have its plot butchered in order to introduce an deous ex machina company on the last season seems stupid, they cant deliver it and must know that this choice will just create more aggressive criticisms from book and show followers alike

1 hour ago, Iotun said:

I agree with this. Likely when the GC is introduced, they'll have some sort of leader and named character to represent them, which may be named Jon Connigton as a nod to the books, but is unlikely to have anything to do with his book counterpart.

This. They'll have some leader who we will know but it will be in name only.

Honestly, just bringing in the GC at this point is enough nod to the fans but that is as far as its gonna go.  I don't understand why they're even being introduced into the story at this point outside of giving Euron and his fleet something to do.  The peasant fodder they need for the war to come could simply come from any area they've skipped over the past couple of seasons.  But it is what it is.

I would guess not. IF they put JonCon in, it's just to give a name to a leader and a nod to book readers (a bad nod at that). But it won't be the JonCon we know.

I would assume Euron is going to "lead" the GC in a way, just to bring them to Cersei. 

The only reason I think there is an outside chance JonCon is in the show, is since Jamie left, who is going to lead the armies? There is no one left, right? So they may have to introduce someone new? Euron can't do it you figure... So that leavessss? I guess JonCon....

It is just a mercenary group from Essos. That is it. They used the name Golden Company because it was in the books but it will have no connection whatsoever to the Golden Company in the books.  They even made Jorah a former member of the Golden Company in the show. 

7 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

It is just a mercenary group from Essos. That is it. They used the name Golden Company because it was in the books but it will have no connection whatsoever to the Golden Company in the books.  They even made Jorah a former member of the Golden Company in the show. 

Eh? When was this mentioned?

I could see the leader of the Golden Company being called Jon Connington, doesn't even need much explanation or background. He could even have been Hand to the Mad King and friends with Rhaegar (Tyrion could do some exposition dialogue with Dany telling us all).

Could also happen that Jon's true heritage becomes known (not sure how a believable version of that could be done but meh) and the Golden Company turn cloak and fight for Jon / Dany.

No chance of young Griff, Blackfyres, grey scale (Jorah already took that story, sort of) or any other story. Dance of Dragons 2.0 is Dany v NK.

Archived