Tyrion - Sansa reunion

In two years we will see Tyrion reunite with his putative wife, Sansa.

Has she matured enough to see past the imp to the man?

She does acknowledge that he was kind to her and no one could argue that he didn't try to make for Sansa the best of a bad situation.

I think Sansa and Jon will defend Tyrion if he is harassed by someone, say Arya.

But I can see Sansa's reaction to seeing Tyrion anywhere between a cold shoulder with dismissive sniff to a warm embrace.  It is even remotely possible that Sansa and Tyrion hook up.

I think both Arya and Sansa will be glad to see the hound.  I don't think either will admit to it, however.

I don't think either of them, or anyone else, considers them still married, even if there was no official annulment decree or anything. Multiple people have mentioned that Sansa married first a Lannister and then a Bolton, and nobody's called her a bigamist.

I think she'll accept Tyrion, and long-term, assuming they both survive, I can see them becoming good platonic friends, like Jerry Seinfeld and Elaine Benes but with less shoving.

And I'm not sure she'll even need to defend him to anyone. If Jon's already buddy-buddy with him and Queen "the Lannisters killed my family" Dany still trusts him as her Hand, he'll already have enough defenders, while if they go with Dany-Tyrion tension, Sansa's opinion doesn't seem like it would count for much.

The show dwelled on the Tyrion-Sansa union enough in S3 it actually fills me with dread that is their endgame.  Plus, who else could Sansa even end up with?  Not that she HAS to, but marriage has been kind of a huge part of her arc.  As Lady of Winterfell she has to produce babies to carry on the Stark name since Bran won't assume his responsibilities.  She deserves a happy ending, too, after all the bullshit she's been through.

I would not be surprised if Tyrion bails back for KL.  I see no reason for him to stay with Dany.  He's failed there.

if Jamie gets North, where Bran remembers, they'll kill him.  All the more reason for Tyrion's split with Dany.

I think she always recognized Tyrion was kind to her despite the situation. I can see a few things happening:

1. Sansa and Tyrion being awkward around each other and maybe starting and breaking off random awkward conversations

2. Tyrion really admiring the woman Sansa has become

3. Sansa and Tyrion becoming close friends

4. Should something happen to Dany/Jon, I can definitely see Sansa/Tyrion as a pretty formidable couple

In my estimate I think they will end up together. May even become happy with one another after some time.

Politically keeping the marriage makes a ton of sense. Their families started the war, so keeping their marriage sends a very strong message of peace and Tyrion is almost certain to inherit house Lannister. Cersei is doomed to die and I am pretty certain so is Jaimie. Even if he survives he is still part of the King's Guard or will be sent to the Wall. He still has a lot of sins to atone for.

Sansa and Tyrion make for a very fitting couple. When she was younger she wanted a beautiful prince and was terrified with by the Imp. Well... Jeofrey was a monster and Tyrion was kind with her. She is more mature now and able to appreciate it plus it is her duty to her family. They are also both smart and politically savvy and Tyrion is close with John.

Lastly there is a kind of mirror with her mother. Caitlyn didn't marry for love, but slowly came to love her husband after their children were born.

51 minutes ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

The show dwelled on the Tyrion-Sansa union enough in S3 it actually fills me with dread that is their endgame.  Plus, who else could Sansa even end up with?  Not that she HAS to, but marriage has been kind of a huge part of her arc.  As Lady of Winterfell she has to produce babies to carry on the Stark name since Bran won't assume his responsibilities.  She deserves a happy ending, too, after all the bullshit she's been through.

You're assuming she's going to end up as Lady of the North, right?* If so, she pretty much has to marry the younger brother of another LP or of an important vassal.** (Or maybe she could marry a Lord, if he's willing to give up his title to a younger brother for a promotion to the Stark family.)

Tyrion would qualify if, say, Jaime survives, marries Brienne, and takes over the West, but not if he ends up succeeding Tywin as he's always wanted.

But if not him, who else have they set up as a possibility? There really aren't any major characters for her to marry. Maybe they won't give her a love interest, they'll just have her sit down with her advisors and decide to marry some Manderly nephew we've never heard of and never get to see?

---

* If she ends up without a title of her own, marrying a Lord Paramount or a major vassal is the obvious answer. If she ends up as Queen or something, that changes everything.

** Nobody's going to stand for one couple running, say, both the North and the West, and passing both titles to the same heir. That kind of thing did often happen in many regions of real-life Europe, which all had different ways of dealing with it. But in Westeros, if you look over the family trees, it's pretty obvious it's not done, and on the rare occasions when it happens by accident, they're apparently expected to find some way to give away one of the titles or something.

5 hours ago, Col Cinders said:

Has she matured enough to see past the imp to the man?

Right because her problem with Tyrion was his dwarfism... not the fact that she was forced to marry him as part of the Lannister effort to steal the North. 

Book-Tyrion is a major dick. Show-Tyrion is a lot nicer, but I still don't see anything romantic happening between them.  I think their marriage is done, especially considering Show-Sansa married Ramsay and no one said boo.

I think they'll be nice to each other though. They obviously respect each other.

7 minutes ago, Azmodael said:

Politically keeping the marriage makes a ton of sense. Their families started the war, so keeping their marriage sends a very strong message of peace and Tyrion is almost certain to inherit house Lannister.

But that last part, if true, is exactly why they shouldn't marry. That would mean their son inherits both the West and the North, permanently merging those two regions into a personal union.

7 minutes ago, Azmodael said:

Cersei is doomed to die and I am pretty certain so is Jaimie. Even if he survives he is still part of the King's Guard or will be sent to the Wall. He still has a lot of sins to atone for.

He's not part of the Kingsguard—he was explicitly dismissed from that position. And he can't be sent to the Wall if neither the Wall nor the Watch exists.

That being said, I could definitely see Jaime going into voluntary or involuntary exile, or becoming the first Lord Commander of some kind of replacement for the Watch (maybe with a different purpose, but still serving the "Foreign Legion" role), or being officially stripped of his title by Dany or whoever else ends up on the throne, or finding some other way to renounce his claim. Just not either of those reasons.

Technically, Bran is still the head of House Stark even if he doesn't acknowledge it. If he self stop pitying and gets a wife and a baby he can still be the Three-eyed-freak and his son can be Lord Stark.

We'll have to wait and see what happens in Season 8 with the Wall. It will not magically disappear because it has a hole in it and neither will the world suddenly warm up and melt it down. If the Night King is permanently slain (unlikely) the Watch might dissolve, but otherwise their watch continues.

I also think Sansa will reunite with Tyrion. He's the only man who isn't family who was a decent guy to her. She's been through enough to see the what is inside of people and I think that if there is one happily ever after, it's them. The most unlikely of unions at first.

I like how people nicely say that Sansa has grown to see more of Tyrion, when in fact, in TV show, she was already aware of who he really is. Remember the cup scene at Purple wedding. Sansa was always aware of Tyrion's kindness, she didn't have to grow up to suddenly "see" him.

23 minutes ago, Azmodael said:

Technically, Bran is still the head of House Stark even if he doesn't acknowledge it. If he self stop pitying and gets a wife and a baby he can still be the Three-eyed-freak and his son can be Lord Stark.

Well, according to the show's canon, Sansa is the ruling Lady. In the books, the point has been made that Bran can't have children and I assume the D&D will have the same approach. So, it is up to Sansa and Arya to continue Stark name.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show had Tyrion and Sansa get back together; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up as king and queen in the end. However, this all depends on how closely they plan on following George's outline, since I don't see a reconciliation between the two happening in the books. 

2 hours ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

Who else could Sansa end up with?

With sandor clegane.

33 minutes ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

I also think Sansa will reunite with Tyrion. He's the only man who isn't family who was a decent guy to her. She's been through enough to see the what is inside of people and I think that if there is one happily ever after, it's them. The most unlikely of unions at first.

Because everyone misses sandor?

3 hours ago, falcotron said:

You're assuming she's going to end up as Lady of the North, right?* If so, she pretty much has to marry the younger brother of another LP or of an important vassal.** (Or maybe she could marry a Lord, if he's willing to give up his title to a younger brother for a promotion to the Stark family.)

Tyrion would qualify if, say, Jaime survives, marries Brienne, and takes over the West, but not if he ends up succeeding Tywin as he's always wanted.

But if not him, who else have they set up as a possibility? There really aren't any major characters for her to marry. Maybe they won't give her a love interest, they'll just have her sit down with her advisors and decide to marry some Manderly nephew we've never heard of and never get to see?

---

* If she ends up without a title of her own, marrying a Lord Paramount or a major vassal is the obvious answer. If she ends up as Queen or something, that changes everything.

** Nobody's going to stand for one couple running, say, both the North and the West, and passing both titles to the same heir. That kind of thing did often happen in many regions of real-life Europe, which all had different ways of dealing with it. But in Westeros, if you look over the family trees, it's pretty obvious it's not done, and on the rare occasions when it happens by accident, they're apparently expected to find some way to give away one of the titles or something.

Nobody wants to mention the obvious but it COULD be Jon. 

4 hours ago, greensleeves said:

Right because her problem with Tyrion was his dwarfism... not the fact that she was forced to marry him as part of the Lannister effort to steal the North. 

Book-Tyrion is a major dick. Show-Tyrion is a lot nicer, but I still don't see anything romantic happening between them.  I think their marriage is done, especially considering Show-Sansa married Ramsay and no one said boo.

I think they'll be nice to each other though. They obviously respect each other.

Imp != dwarf.  I chose the word imp because of what it means and connotes.

Archived