Euron's reaction

5 minutes ago, Ser Meryn Frey said:

What in the world is up with him? What's the point of his character in the series? He was brilliant when he destroyed Dany's fleet, but now he's suddenly a total coward. Just a complete waste of space and time in the series.

I just don't get it?

At the end Cersei reveals that was a fake, he's actually gone to get the Golden Company.

Just now, Edward Teach said:

But Cersei didn't know what she's going to see in that meeting, so what was the point of that? She could've sent him long ago instead.

Didn't she know they were going to talk about the army of the dead arriving? Even without the wight demonstration, Euron could have been like "I'm convinced, fuck it, I'm out of here". Or if not, the plan could just have been for him to storm out at some point. The advantage Euron has is that everyone thinks he's crazy, so they aren't likely to question his motives much.

16 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

Didn't she know they were going to talk about the army of the dead arriving? Even without the wight demonstration, Euron could have been like "I'm convinced, fuck it, I'm out of here". Or if not, the plan could just have been for him to storm out at some point. The advantage Euron has is that everyone thinks he's crazy, so they aren't likely to question his motives much.

Nothing would've changed either way. It's not like anyone of Dany's side is going to question "where is Euron?" he doesn't really need to be there to begin with.

Thus, him storming out was pointless when he could've been half way to Essos by now.

40 minutes ago, Edward Teach said:

But Cersei didn't know what she's going to see in that meeting, so what was the point of that? She could've sent him long ago instead.

Cersei already knew that they were bringing some kind of proof of the army of the dead.

And she'd already decided that she believed in the army of the dead, but she was going to fight them and defeat them the same way she and Jaime fought and defeated everyone else who came after them, so the armistice only mattered if it gave her a strategic advantage. So when she saw the wight, it didn't change her mind at all.

I don't know why Jaime was surprised.

1 hour ago, Edward Teach said:

Nothing would've changed either way. It's not like anyone of Dany's side is going to question "where is Euron?" he doesn't really need to be there to begin with.

Thus, him storming out was pointless when he could've been half way to Essos by now.

I think the dog and pony show of Euron saying "Fuck this, I'm out" was the most important point of the deception. Cercei wanted them to think he'd abandoned them and gone home, otherwise they might be asking questions about where his fleet is.

55 minutes ago, mattnj81 said:

I think the dog and pony show of Euron saying "Fuck this, I'm out" was the most important point of the deception. Cercei wanted them to think he'd abandoned them and gone home, otherwise they might be asking questions about where his fleet is.

Agree that was the point, but to someone's point above, they had no idea what was going to transpire at the meeting. What if they didn't bring a wight and just talked? Was Euron still supposed to just leave regardless. Convenient that the man who has seen everything in Planetos happened to see something he's never seen before so it makes his leaving more legitimate.

1 hour ago, mattnj81 said:

But who would buy Cersie just sitting by like, "Oh, I'm sorry you feel that way Euron, thanks for your service and good luck in your future endeavors"??  The fact that she wasn't furious he left makes it totally obvious it's a scam.  I'm surprised Tyrion didn't pick up on it considering he knows his sister the best. Not only does Cersei say, and I quote "No one walks away from me" but strategically, she lost the only significant ally she has left. 

3 hours ago, Ser Meryn Frey said:

What in the world is up with him? What's the point of his character in the series? He was brilliant when he destroyed Dany's fleet, but now he's suddenly a total coward. Just a complete waste of space and time in the series.

I just don't get it?

It was all set up to fool everyone.  Cersei has gone full Tywin/Aerys

I was actually going to give the show credit for Euron's reaction (before the reveal). The reaction of 'f*** this shizzle, I'm off to the Winchester the iron Islands and I'll wait for all this to blow over' seemed perfectly in character to me; Euron might be a near-lunatic, but that doesn't mean he wants to fight an army of the dead.

Then they went and revealed that he was in on Cersei's ploy. And my praise went out the window.

7 hours ago, mankytoes said:

The way he immediately speaks out of turn and starts in on Theon (and then Tyrion) has the feel of Cersei and Euron agreeing on a general good cop/bad cop routine beforehand, so that Cersei could present herself as the "reasonable" one.

6 hours ago, House Rootbreaker said:

But who would buy Cersie just sitting by like, "Oh, I'm sorry you feel that way Euron, thanks for your service and good luck in your future endeavors"??  The fact that she wasn't furious he left makes it totally obvious it's a scam.  I'm surprised Tyrion didn't pick up on it considering he knows his sister the best. Not only does Cersei say, and I quote "No one walks away from me" but strategically, she lost the only significant ally she has left. 

I agree that it was clumsily written, but pretty much the whole season has been. In their defense, I don't think the "no one walks away from me" line was spoken until after the plan is revealed so it did make sense in context. 

6 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Agree that was the point, but to someone's point above, they had no idea what was going to transpire at the meeting. What if they didn't bring a wight and just talked? Was Euron still supposed to just leave regardless. Convenient that the man who has seen everything in Planetos happened to see something he's never seen before so it makes his leaving more legitimate.

I agree it was clumsily written, but that's par for the course this season unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

The way he immediately speaks out of turn and starts in on Theon (and then Tyrion) has the feel of Cersei and Euron agreeing on a general good cop/bad cop routine beforehand, so that Cersei could present herself as the "reasonable" one.

Exactly.

All of Cersei's behavior makes much more sense if it's an act she planned out in detail. She presented herself as reasonable, but not too reasonable to believe (hence the Jon demand). As if seeing the wight had shocked her into realizing they have to work together, but she's still Cersei, so she's still got to be stubborn about something. When in reality, she'd known what was coming, and planned from the start to do exactly what she told Jaime two weeks ago—agree for strategic reasons, let Dany and the dead fight, then defeat the winner.

Her only mistake was that she did such a good job acting that she fooled Jaime.

1 hour ago, jandslegate said:

Despite their master plan, it seems if Jaime gets to them fast enough, all team Targ has to do is torch the fleet while they're carrying the golden company and the problem is solved.

Yea but that would prevent Theon from going and rescuing his sister and taking control of the iron fleet and bringing the golden company to team Dany/Jon. Anyone else think this is what they are setting up?

39 minutes ago, LokisRaider said:

Yea but that would prevent Theon from going and rescuing his sister and taking control of the iron fleet and bringing the golden company to team Dany/Jon. Anyone else think this is what they are setting up?

I just wish they would let the Theon/Yara story line end already. We just do not have the time for this part of the story line left and it drives me crazy they waste it on them. Unless of course this is being used to stop the GC and Yuron from helping Cersei.

13 hours ago, Edward Teach said:

Actually having him seem to abandon her gives false information to the enemy. Appear weak where you are strong, it's right there in The Art of War.

Archived