Euron's reaction

8 hours ago, WSmith84 said:

I was actually going to give the show credit for Euron's reaction (before the reveal). The reaction of 'f*** this shizzle, I'm off to the Winchester the iron Islands and I'll wait for all this to blow over' seemed perfectly in character to me; Euron might be a near-lunatic, but that doesn't mean he wants to fight an army of the dead.

Then they went and revealed that he was in on Cersei's ploy. And my praise went out the window.

That's exactly how I felt, they just couldn't help themselves. They had to make it dumb, the only hope now is that Euron actually has just peaced it and Cersei doesn't know but we all know that's not happening, he has to get the super secret Golden Company WMD. 

I really enjoyed Euron nope nope nope-ing it out of there, only pausing long enough to hit on Dany on his way out. Seemed entirely in-character. I hope Theon & company intercept the Iron Fleet and convince the Golden Company to fight for Team Targ instead (especially if D&D keep the Blackfyre/GC connection). 

15 hours ago, Edward Teach said:

But Cersei didn't know what she's going to see in that meeting, so what was the point of that? She could've sent him long ago instead.

Doesn't matter, it seems like their original plan was Euron pulls his stunt with Theon and if there is no evidence of anything he can still act like a dick and leave.  With the evidence he leaves also.  Then Cersei either acts like she is convinced or she really is convinced, but either way the rest of the plan is to go back on her word and play the game of thrones instead of helping her living enemies for the greater good.  She doesn't care about the greater good, she cares about the throne and that's been her greatest downfall.  Personally I think her daddy issues are big part of why she is so fucked up.  She felt she had to live up to her father's expectations and her siblings would never do it, she thought the weight of the Lannister name and future was always on her shoulders.  And then the whole Septon thing and deaths of her kids just put a cherry on the top of her insane cake.  

15 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Doesn't matter, it seems like their original plan was Euron pulls his stunt with Theon and if there is no evidence of anything he can still act like a dick and leave.  With the evidence he leaves also.

A nice advantage of this plan is that it must have been dead easy to sell to Euron.

• Cersei: I need you to do something for me.
  • Euron: Depends what it is. Does it involve my pinky?
  • Cersei: Um… No. I need you to come to a meeting, be a dick to Theon for no reason, and then, whatever happens next, be a dick to everyone else and walk out, and on the way past Dany—you know what, just show up and be yourself.
  • Euron: Can do. And what do I have to give you in return?
  • Cersei: No, this will be you doing a favor for me, not… nevermind. What you have to do in return is not mention your pinky, or my bum, for a week.
  • Euron: That's a tough one. But I get to be a dick to Theon?
  • Cersei: Yes.
  • Euron: Sold.

22 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

I cant remember, but isnt Daario in charge of the Golden Company??

No, that's the Second Sons, a completely different sellsword company, with a very different backstory and reputation (most relevantly, with no connection to Westeros).

3 hours ago, Trigger Warning said:

That's exactly how I felt, they just couldn't help themselves. They had to make it dumb, the only hope now is that Euron actually has just peaced it and Cersei doesn't know but we all know that's not happening, he has to get the super secret Golden Company WMD. 

The most unrealistic part to me is the Golden Company. Cersei spends her entire new loan from the Iron Bank to acquire them, and she expects Euron to ferry them to Westeros and hand them over without any fight. The ironborn have always had a great navy, but never had a decent army. Now she gives the most clever, ambitious ironborn captain an army and expects him to hand it over? That's crazy.

Euron knows just how weak Cersei's position is right now. He knows all her fortifications and which areas of the city are mostly heavily guarded. Plus after his parade through King's Landing and his recent victories against the foreign invaders, all the smallfolk love Euron. It's not hard to imagine him pulling a Tywin on her (pretending he's inviting the army into the city for her to give them orders, and then sacking King's Landing).

20 minutes ago, Lorathi said:

The most unrealistic part to me is the Golden Company. Cersei spends her entire new loan from the Iron Bank to acquire them, and she expects Euron to ferry them to Westeros and hand them over without any fight. The ironborn have always had a great navy, but never had a decent army. Now she gives the most clever, ambitious ironborn captain an army and expects him to hand it over? That's crazy.

Euron knows just how weak Cersei's position is right now. He knows all her fortifications and which areas of the city are mostly heavily guarded. Plus after his parade through King's Landing and his recent victories against the foreign invaders, all the smallfolk love Euron. It's not hard to imagine him pulling a Tywin on her (pretending he's inviting the army into the city for her to give them orders, and then sacking King's Landing).

That's a good point and would be a great twist. I hadn't thought of that, and I doubt DnD have either. It would be a great piece of writing and would be GRRM all over it if it were to transpire - irony, 'justice', vengeance etc... She's essentially a "Mad", tyrannical monarch. Her father is the one who had the doors opened for his armies to walk in. The only part left is to have her most trusted advisor murder her. Perhaps Arya disguised as Qyburn or LF... Though I can't remember if she's been prophecised to be killed by her brother in the show or not...

18 hours ago, mankytoes said:

At the end Cersei reveals that was a fake, he's actually gone to get the Golden Company.

Which is a little ridiculous. He just came up with that ploy on the spot, all on his own.

hes lucky Cersei didn't have the Mountain chop him to bits. 

10 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Doesn't matter, it seems like their original plan was Euron pulls his stunt with Theon and if there is no evidence of anything he can still act like a dick and leave.  With the evidence he leaves also.  Then Cersei either acts like she is convinced or she really is convinced, but either way the rest of the plan is to go back on her word and play the game of thrones instead of helping her living enemies for the greater good.  She doesn't care about the greater good, she cares about the throne and that's been her greatest downfall.  Personally I think her daddy issues are big part of why she is so fucked up.  She felt she had to live up to her father's expectations and her siblings would never do it, she thought the weight of the Lannister name and future was always on her shoulders.  And then the whole Septon thing and deaths of her kids just put a cherry on the top of her insane cake.  

Then again, that whole spectacle wasn't really needed. She didn't need to convince them as it wasn't her plan to do the truce, it was theirs. From their POV, they needed to show her the evidence and hope she will go along with it. All she needed to do was pretend to be terrified and agree to sit her armies down. Yeah, it didn't hurt to fool them with Euron, but it wasn't needed at all. In the end, she came back and proposed to give them even more than they've asked for despite not intending on doing it anyway five minutes later.

Euron has some of the most creative, well written, and terrifying lines in the novels (especially in Damphair's sample chapter from Winds) that it is such a tragedy that he gets such moronic and repetitive lines in the show.  He was fantastic in episode 1, and his presentation of the "gift" of Ellaria and the bad pussy sand snake was okay, but otherwise he was pretty awful during his triumph, during the wight presentation, and at the Kingsmoot in S6.  I like @Lorathi's point that Euron may just double cross Cersei (not like he hasn't done some Kingslaying before), but I'd be unsatisfied with a guy with the intelligence of a high school jock being the ultimate human Big Bad.  Victarion was the idiot, not Euron.  Euron should be evil AND smart.  Book Euron could do better than "you're a cockless twat and I have your sister."  Nobody fears Euron on the show (except for Reek), they all are just annoyed.  That is no good.

On 28/08/2017 at 2:23 PM, House Rootbreaker said:

The fact that she wasn't furious he left makes it totally obvious it's a scam.

I think, in general, nobles try to remain reserved in public. But most importantly, it's supposed to be a convincing humiliation for her. She wants her enemies to think that was a disaster, but she also wants her enemies to think she doesn't want them to think it was a disaster. If it really was a disaster, she wouldn't be so foolish as to admit it in front of enemies. Hence she plays playing it cool. Sort of a double bluff.

On 29/08/2017 at 5:19 AM, Lorathi said:

Perhaps she's found a way to make it clear to the Golden Company that they'll profit more if they serve her than if they serve Euron. But if not, this would (again) be the Faith Militant all over again.

But Euron seems to have abandoned his bold plan to woo Daenerys almost immediately in favour for his distinctly average plan to serve the throne, so I hope he does have something else up his sleeve.

I wonder what the Golden Company will be like. Would this just be a normal contract for them? What is their attitude towards Targaryens? Will they say "a dragon is still a dragon", or will they remember all the fighting between Targaryens and Blackfyres?

I have a gut feeling that Euron will betray Cersei in some way or another.
His loyalty to her is really strange, she's done nothing to deserve it from him. Perhaps he's not so loyal after all.
We all know that Daenerys was (and still seems to be) his first pick, that comment he gave her about waiting out the winter together before leaving was not something he and Cersei had planned together I think.

I can see him bring back the Golden Company to Westeros, but take it north instead.

I can also see him bring it back to Kings Landing, but use it to sack the city, which might be the reason Cersei blows it up. 

I can also see him getting killed by Theon, unlikely as it is, after obtaining the GC. If the GC is safely on the ironborns ships when this happen,  that would make for an interesting conflict if the ironborn suddenly become loyal to Theon, while the GC remains loyal to the one who paid them (Cersei/Euron).
Doubt this will happen though, it's more likely from a production PoV that Euron ends up dead (by Theon) before arriving in Essos, which means we won't see the GC at all.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:46 AM, falcotron said:

Cersei already knew that they were bringing some kind of proof of the army of the dead.

And she'd already decided that she believed in the army of the dead, but she was going to fight them and defeat them the same way she and Jaime fought and defeated everyone else who came after them, so the armistice only mattered if it gave her a strategic advantage. So when she saw the wight, it didn't change her mind at all.

I don't know why Jaime was surprised.

Ironically I think jaime was madder that she left him out of the deception but plotted with euron. It showed she either doesn't trust him or just doesn't care.

On 2017-08-29 at 6:52 AM, UnViserion said:

Which is a little ridiculous. He just came up with that ploy on the spot, all on his own.

hes lucky Cersei didn't have the Mountain chop him to bits. 

I don't think it's implied that he came up with it on the spot? 

From what I understand he and Cersei had already agreed on making a fake truce and him pretending to go back home while really picking up the Golden Company. 

I think this kind of makes sense.  I guess you can just say the plan was for Euron to say "F this...I'm out" during the meeting but then he improvised a little once he saw the wight.  And it worked out really well obviously since he fooled everyone.  

1 hour ago, SuperWrestler said:

I don't think it's implied that he came up with it on the spot? 

From what I understand he and Cersei had already agreed on making a fake truce and him pretending to go back home while really picking up the Golden Company. 

One thing I'm surprised more people haven't commented on is Euron's first interaction with the Mountain. He doesn't seem to be afraid of him. He gives him a challenging look in the Throne Room, like he wants to fight him, but knows it isn't the right time or place. I get a vibe much like when Areo Hotah met Jaime, and wondered about fighting him before Jaime lost his hand. I would like to see Euron against someone like Jon or the Hound. After seeing Euron beat the Sand Snakes, I don't think Theon can defeat him without some serious help.

Archived