Let's talk about Jaime...

wolfsbae

I absolutely love that the show has made a return to Jaime's oathbreaker versus oathkeeper motif. He is one of the show's most interesting, tortured and formidable characters and I'm glad to see him finally back at his best. 

He's keeping word and his honour and is riding north - presumably to Winterfell. What will this mean for his character? Bran will be there, not to mention the northern lords who will want him dead on arrival. His presence in WF is going to create so much tension between characters - how do you think it's going to pan out? What complications / alliances do you think will arise out of this? 

I'm kind of interested in it from the perspective of who takes control of the Lannister armies. With Jaime gone North, the only named character I can think of to do it is Bronn. In the setting he's too low ranking, but in terms of storytelling there's no one else left. And we very noticeably didn't see where he was at the end.

Since I'm pretty certain Tormund isn't dead, I'm looking forward to the Jaime/Brienne/Tormund triangle.

I can't see Bronn staying behind in KL, leading the Lannister forces when they backstab the northern forces.
He has no loyalty nor love for Cersei, his loyalty at this point is to Jamie and Tyrion, and they're finally on the same team. As for Bronn actually surviving getting out of KL before heading north is a different question altogether.

Add the fact that Lena Heady and Jerome Flynn hate each other IRL and have it on paper that they will never have to do a scene together.
I thought it curious to why Bronn left before the meeting in episode 7, but then I realized; Cersei hadn't arrived yet. Since they can't be near each other, one had to leave, and since Cersei had to be there... bye bye Bronn. :P

I'm just curious how Jamie is going to convince everyone in Winterfell he's not still working with Cersei? Everything he says about leaving her and wanting to join them is going to sound too good to be true. He can't have Tyrion vouch for him as everyone will see that as suspect and the paranoia of the Lannisters plotting will be too high.  

Maybe it a weird twist of fate Bran will vouch for Jamie since his vote of confidence is the only one that could convince everyone else.  It goes along with Bran's character as him holding a grudge against Jamie doesn't seem very realistic.  And maybe it would give Jamie that final piece of humility where he realizes a boy he crippled can trust his word.

Once Bronn realizes Jamie is gone he is grabbing his gold and taking off somewhere.  He's scared of Cersei

1 minute ago, MinscS2 said:

Add the fact that Lena Heady and Jerome Flynn hate each other IRL and have it on paper that they will never have to do a scene together.
I thought it curious to why Bronn left before the meeting in episode 7, but then I realized; Cersei hadn't arrived yet.

Really? :lmao:That is just hilariously petty.

It's not a perfect fit, I just don't know A. When he'd leave, there's no reason to not show him with the main cast on Dragonstone or on a boat. and B. Who else would take command.

13 minutes ago, House Rootbreaker said:

I'm just curious how Jamie is going to convince everyone in Winterfell he's not still working with Cersei? Everything he says about leaving her and wanting to join them is going to sound too good to be true. He can't have Tyrion vouch for him as everyone will see that as suspect and the paranoia of the Lannisters plotting will be too high.  

Maybe it a weird twist of fate Bran will vouch for Jamie since his vote of confidence is the only one that could convince everyone else.  It goes along with Bran's character as him holding a grudge against Jamie doesn't seem very realistic.  And maybe it would give Jamie that final piece of humility where he realizes a boy he crippled can trust his word.

Once Bronn realizes Jamie is gone he is grabbing his gold and taking off somewhere.  He's scared of Cersei

My money is on this. Bran won't hold a grudge; he knows becoming a cripple was all part of his journey to becoming the 3ER and he always sees the bigger picture. 

6 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

It'll be a bit of both. His honour isn't so strong that he walked after Cersei's done appalling things since his return to her. I expect it was that he also sees this as the best way to protect her as well as upholding his word.

Ugh, just wash your hands of her already, Jaime. He's like that friend who keeps going back to the same toxic bloke time and again after ignoring all advice. 

9 minutes ago, Redvipor said:

Am I the only one who believes Jaime is "taking the black", as evidenced by the black cloak he was wearing? He would still be honoring his word by traveling north to fight the "real war."

Why would he ever take the black, though? Why not just travel to WF and fight the threat from there? Why give up his name, lands and titles? And therefore his right to father his unborn child?

After this war, there won't be a Nightswatch no matter which side wins, so I doubt Jamie will take the black.

If the undead wins, everyone will die. No more watch.

If the humans win, there won't be a NK and any more WW's north of the wall, nor will there be any wildnings there since they're already a part of the northerners. No more watch. 

I'm looking forward to Jaime's atonement and death. I'm not worried about him being around Dany or Bran. Although Tyrion and Dany argued about the need to burn the Tarlys, I think she not only knows that she can't just feed Jaime to her dragons but that any revenge for her father's sake is a moot point. Since Bran has become a cyborg, I think he may also recognize that he wouldn't have been on his path north and to becoming the Three-Eyed Raven if not for a little push from Jaime.  But Jaime also needs to seek atonement from both of these people too in his redemption arc; he can't just show up and go "Hey guys" and not expect the past will need to be addressed.

3 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

I can't see Bronn staying behind in KL, leading the Lannister forces when they backstab the northern forces.
He has no loyalty nor love for Cersei, his loyalty at this point is to Jamie and Tyrion, and they're finally on the same team. As for Bronn actually surviving getting out of KL before heading north is a different question altogether.

I thought it curious to why Bronn left before the meeting in episode 7, but then I realized; Cersei hadn't arrived yet. Since they can't be near each other, one had to leave, and since Cersei had to be there... bye bye Bronn. :P

Bronn is a mercenary, and highly adept at figuring out risk vs reward. Going North holds a high risk with little reward (regardless of Tyrions boasts of paying double). Staying in the South working directly for Cersei is dangerous as she hates his guts, but could give good rewards. It would be somewhat safer to join the mercenary army that she has hired. He knows Westeros well and has actual command experience, so maybe that is the optimal path?

3 hours ago, House Rootbreaker said:

I really like your thought process on this idea, and fully believe this could be the way to go in order for Jamie to have any shot of survival with the Northmen.

Archived