That was Rhaegar?

damned if they do, damned if they dont.

if they follow the book where viserys and rhaegar look alike to danny, it reminds the audience of a character we werent supposed to like in viserys when they show us rhaegar. which is contrary to the subtle build up they did in the show over the years for how good a guy rhaegar was supposed to be.

if they had showed someone who looks substantially different, theyd be slammed for not going by the book and the guy "not look targ enough"

1 hour ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

Disappointing in the sense that Rhaegar has been systemically built up to be this formidable, almost unbelievable figure, and then it turns out that, actually, he looks pretty much exactly the same as dickweasel Viserys whom the audience is supposed to hate. 

That's why he should have never been shown on screen ever.  He had been built up so much, through the show and books the only way to keep that mysticism at the highest level was to never see the actual character.  Even before that scene I never wanted to see Rhaegar on screen because your imagination is almost always better when someone has been talked about so much.

18 minutes ago, Cron said:

I'm not positive if this is accurate or not, cuz I haven't checked the quote from the books, but someone posted a comment saying that in the books, when Dany first saw Rhaegar in a vision in the House of the Undying, she at first mistook him for Viserys.

If so, then apparently they DID look very similar, and if so then what they did on the show made a lot of sense, and would be consistent with book canon.

But like I said, I haven't checked or seen the actual quote from the book.

I had forgotten about this. You're right, in the vision he looked very much like Viserys. 

Also, I looked up the actor's height, and it says 6'4". He didn't look that tall. Maybe it's just the way they shot the scene? Harry Lloyd is only 5'11" apparently. I thought I remembered him being taller. 

OMG, They found an someone who could pass off as Viserys(sp.) twin Brother & that ain't good.   Rhaegar was suppose to be this guy that looked like he could take on and hurt Robert. B.   This guy looked like theon could give him a good beatdown.  Bad casting.

It looked like a bad angle/shadow and we've seen his face from a profile for about 5 seconds.

If we've seen him...I don't know...playing harp, reading prophecy...even just in snippets like in the last season with Aerys. You know, Bran looking through the history of Westeros and searching through that exact wedding scene. But that would require a bit of an imagination from the writers.

9 minutes ago, Panther2000 said:

OMG, They found an someone who could pass off as Viserys(sp.) twin Brother & that ain't good.   Rhaegar was suppose to be this guy that looked like he could take on and hurt Robert. B.   This guy looked like theon could give him a good beatdown.  Bad casting.

I don't think Wilf Scolding looks that bad, it's up to the make-up artists to make him not look like a second coming of Viserys.

18 minutes ago, LadyFitzRandolph said:

I had forgotten about this. You're right, in the vision he looked very much like Viserys. 

Also, I looked up the actor's height, and it says 6'4". He didn't look that tall. Maybe it's just the way they shot the scene? Harry Lloyd is only 5'11" apparently. I thought I remembered him being taller. 

Good stuff.

I'm glad to hear that it seems to be accurate.  Even though I was surprised myself last night to see how much he looked like Viserys, I much prefer it when the show follows the books as closely as reasonably possible, and if the books say they looked so similar that Dany at first thought he was Viserys, then I'm glad that's what the show did, too.

Rhaegar pretty much looks like Viserys in the books, too. Dany mistakes the Rhaegar she sees in the House of the Undying for Viserys, at first. The only differences are a slightly different eye color and the fact that Rhaegar is somewhat better built. But that's it. Aside from that they should look very much alike.

Yeah, Rhaegar was supposed to be the most beautiful man in Westeros. This one ... wasn't. That hair ... just no.

But at first sight I thought Lyanna was actually Maisie Williams! With all the talk how much Arya looks like Lyanna I think they got it pretty right.

11 minutes ago, Panther2000 said:

He looked like you could knock him over with a feather.

1 hour ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

Disappointing in the sense that Rhaegar has been systemically built up to be this formidable, almost unbelievable figure, and then it turns out that, actually, he looks pretty much exactly the same as dickweasel Viserys whom the audience is supposed to hate. 

:lmao:

"dickweasel" :lol: 

Why are you guys hating on Rhaegar? He did not style himself after Viserys, it was Viserys who tried to imitate him! Probably due to family lore and such. Furthermore, I like the fact that the imperfect Rhaegar was shown on screen. What would anyone expect? A 15-foot tall Adonis? He was a normal man, who lived an abnormal life due to the circumstances of his birth. Perhaps he was unusually talented in some ways, and perhaps it's just a legend. I am so glad they didn't make him out to be another SuperArya character. 

Sooo disappointed - one of the most important characters in the books and in the entire storytelling. Most anticipated too with all the building up and then he looks exactly like Viserys. I mean did the casting directors get super lazy?? Or the people responsible for hairstyle and make-up - jeez - they shouldv've given me the job - I would've cast a perfect actr for it - chosen the perfect hairstyle - just like the Rhaegar we were promised. Fuck them!

Archived