That was Rhaegar?

Viserys was beautiful but evil and cowardly. Making Rhaegar look like him made the same associations with this character. I imagined Rhaegar much taller and fierce with long hair. And that Viserys's wig. Too bad... Jon is nothing like his father.

But I like Lyanna very much.

1 hour ago, Tyrek Lannister said:

I don't think Wilf Scolding looks that bad, it's up to the make-up artists to make him not look like a second coming of Viserys.

I just looked up Wilf Scolding, because even I thought that was Harry Lloyd. But it's not incredible to think that brothers look alike. And as someone else has mentioned, Rhaegar looked like Viserys in Dany's visions. 

1 hour ago, redtree said:

Thought that was Viserys, wow. Or maybe Viserys just tried to copy Rhaegar's style because he adored his older brother so much.

Exactly. And I think we tend to hate the hair because of how dislikable Viserys was.

7 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

Viserys was beautiful but evil and cowardly. Making Rhaegar look like him made the same associations with this character. I imagined Rhaegar much taller and fierce with long hair. And that Viserys's wig. Too bad... Jon is nothing like his father.

But I like Lyanna very much.

It's not Rhaegar who looked like Viserys, it's Viserys who looked like Rhaegar. This is an important distinction as Rhaegar had no clairvoyant knowledge about his descendants' appearance. Also, being similar in looks to somebody else means very little in regards to personality.

4 hours ago, Chrizelda said:

Rhaegar was just a Viserys look-alike? I'm a bit disappointed. I need to be convinced why Lyanna chose him in the first place. He really has to be a charming intense emo singer songwriter for me to be satisfied that Lyanna risked everything to be with him. In short, impress us next season- sing us the "Song of Ice and Fire" Rhaegar! And give us a whole load of prophecy while you're at it. Song-exposition instead of sexposition.

In Daenery's visions of Rhaegar in the book she saw a man that looked a lot like Viserys, so yes.

They were brothers after all, so they would look alike.

Of course, Rhaegar is now the Night King, setting up the epic struggle for power between the last thee Targaryens, all fighting to sit on the iron throne.

Image the final death scene as Jon kneels over the dying Night King: "Aegon.....I am your father, Aegon....". A replay of the Darth Vader - Luke Skywalker death scene. I am telling you guys, this is Star Wars set in medieval times.

1 minute ago, tugela said:

In Daenery's visions of Rhaegar in the book she saw a man that looked a lot like Viserys, so yes.

They were brothers after all, so they would look alike.

Of course, Rhaegar is now the Night King, setting up the epic struggle for power between the last thee Targaryens, all fighting to sit on the iron throne.

Fighting together. Night King might actually come to help Jon and Daenerys throw Cersei aside.

35 minutes ago, Monster_Under_the_Bed said:

It's not Rhaegar who looked like Viserys, it's Viserys who looked like Rhaegar. This is an important distinction as Rhaegar had no clairvoyant knowledge about his descendants' appearance. Also, being similar in looks to somebody else means very little in regards to personality.

I like your point.

27 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

Fighting together. Night King might actually come to help Jon and Daenerys throw Cersei aside.

No, the Night King is Rhaegar corrupted. When he was turned with the obsidian blade the children probably thought he was being empowered to help them since he was this noble warrior, but the magic froze his soul and all he knows now is the desire for revenge and to reclaim the throne that should have been his. I bet this whole ceremony was partially his idea and did it willingly, not as some sort of sacrifice.

It is a replay of Star Wars in the middle ages. Except now we have Darth Rhaegar (note how similar it sounds to Darth Vader, lol).

I think the book will play out a similar theme, but will be more subtle than that in the sense that there is no Night King, and instead the character of Rhaegar will be played out by Mance Rayder (= Prince Rhaegar).

I was underwhelmed at that being Rhaegar too. The Viserys hair made my skin crawl because F that guy. I looked up the actor's name that someone posted on here to see what he truly looks like, since we had a quick glimpse at a weird angle. I mean, it's better....I hope the clicking image result works...

Image result for Wilf Scolding

1 hour ago, tugela said:

No, the Night King is Rhaegar corrupted. When he was turned with the obsidian blade the children probably thought he was being empowered to help them since he was this noble warrior, but the magic froze his soul and all he knows now is the desire for revenge and to reclaim the throne that should have been his. I bet this whole ceremony was partially his idea and did it willingly, not as some sort of sacrifice.

It is a replay of Star Wars in the middle ages. Except now we have Darth Rhaegar (note how similar it sounds to Darth Vader, lol).

I think the book will play out a similar theme, but will be more subtle than that in the sense that there is no Night King, and instead the character of Rhaegar will be played out by Mance Rayder (= Prince Rhaegar).

First, the Night King is 8000 years old.

Second, Rhaegar did not court Lyanna by whining about how he doesn't like sand.

But Rhaegar does have an off-the-charts midichlorian count, I'll give you that one.

What was the point of the scene exactly?

Bran could just say that he saw their marriage in the first place, and don't get me wrong, I wanted to see Rhaegar, but I thought they will at least include the "he already has a song..." line. 

Showing us the marriage was ridiculously underwhelming and unnecessary. Rhaegar is perhaps the single most important character that died before ASoIaF maybe second only to Bloodraven, he deserved more.

3 minutes ago, TheDarkEye said:

What was the point of the scene exactly?

Bran could just say that he saw their marriage in the first place, and don't get me wrong, I wanted to see Rhaegar, but I thought they will at least include the "he already has a song..." line. 

Showing us the marriage was ridiculously underwhelming and unnecessary. Rhaegar is perhaps the single most important character that died before ASoIaF maybe second only to Bloodraven, he deserved more.

I suspect that D&D have been into the idea of the the Rhaegar-Lyanna romance since before they pitched the show, and they haven't had a chance to show it in 6 years, and it's one of the few things they were still excited about doing, so no way in hell were they going to cut it for time even if they couldn't find a way to make it necessary.

But I suppose showing the two of them giddily in love helped the viewers who somehow couldn't get that from Lyanna's deathbed scene, for whatever that's worth.

I kind of took it as Viserys trying to look like Rhaegar. Viserys remembers him and always tried to play the part of the king and was always super obnoxious... imitating the brother that everyone loved wouldn't be out of his character. I liked that Rhaegar wasn't this mythical beautiful model... he is handsome and they fell in love. It showed that they were just two people. 

Archived