That was Rhaegar?

2 minutes ago, Chrizelda said:

Pretty pretty please let us see some singing and harp playing from Rhaegar. The song could even double duty as exposition or prophecy,

I want more singing from Jerome Flynn, but yeah if they're going to bring in the whole three-heads-prophecy thing for Jonaegon then sure I'll take it as a song, too. It is the bloody "song of Ice and Fire" after all, isn't it!

23 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

My reaction definitely fell into the "Dude looks like his brother. News at eleven" school of thought, but frankly, he didn't look *that* much like Harry Lloyd.

Not once you take a closer look, certainly, but enough that you get that "is that..." for an instant, which is exactly how it's supposed to. That's for me, obviously, cannot speak for others.

20 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Looked exactly like that little shit, even had the same hairstyle.  Fuck maybe it was the actor that played Viserys, probably not but they were almost identical.  

Rhaegar is Viserys photocopy who named his two sons Aegon. 

Another bad casting from this show,nothing new just look at daenerys and euron that's enough to understand the bad actors they could afford. The only good casting choices for me are Oberyn,Tywin and Eddard the others plain and simply suck.

A younger Cliff Simon with an eye patch could've made a better Euron,in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Ivan33 said:

Another bad casting from this show,nothing new just look at daenerys and euron that's enough to understand the bad actors they could afford. The only good casting choices for me are Oberyn,Tywin and Eddard the others plain and simply suck.

A younger Cliff Simon with an eye patch could've made a better Euron,in my opinion.

You must be out of your mind if you think that Sandor Clegane's casting sucks, or Tormunds, or Briennes, let alone Arya, Sansa, Bran, Robb, Catelyn, Cersei, Jon or another dozen characters (there are a few exceptions, but in general they did a fantastic job with the cast). Go watch something else then.

1 minute ago, GeorgeIAF said:

You must be out of your mind if you think that Sandor Clegane's casting sucks, or Tormunds, or Briennes, let alone Arya, Sansa, Bran, Robb, Catelyn, Cersei, Jon or another dozen characters (there are a few exceptions, but in general they did a fantastic job with the cast). Go watch something else then.

Sure i'm open to suggestions about what to watch,and yes their casting sucks for me i don't like them as actors at all. Catelyn and Cersei actresses are too old in my opinion and Jon's actor is as much of an actor as a brick wall,the others were/are passable but thats it nothing exceptional, i also liked Harry Lloyd as Viserys tho Emilia Clarke isn't able to pull off Daenerys in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Ivan33 said:

Sure i'm open to suggestions about what to watch,and yes their casting sucks for me i don't like them as actors at all. Catelyn and Cersei actresses are too old in my opinion and Jon's actor is as much of an actor as a brick wall,the others were/are passable but thats it nothing exceptional, i also liked Harry Lloyd as Viserys tho Emilia Clarke isn't able to pull off Daenerys in my opinion.

In the show, Catelyn and Cersei were aged up and so were their kids. 

21 hours ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

Disappointing in the sense that Rhaegar has been systemically built up to be this formidable, almost unbelievable figure, and then it turns out that, actually, he looks pretty much exactly the same as dickweasel Viserys whom the audience is supposed to hate. 

It's almost impossible to find the right calibre of actor to compare with over the top beautification (or ugly!) descriptions from a book.  Tyrion and Brienne are meant to be repulsive and yet neither of them are in the show.  Cersei is meant to be drop dead amazing.  No offence to Lena, but she's not.  Dany is meant to be even more beautiful but Emilia Clarke is not.  Both women are attractive but neither are jaw on the floor the moment they walk into a room.

48 minutes ago, GeorgeIAF said:

In the books it is said that Viserys looked alot like Rhaegar and he intentionally wanted to look like him so i see no problem here.

Is the correct answer!  He looks very similar to almost every art picture I've seen of him.

1 hour ago, Ser Gareth said:

It's almost impossible to find the right calibre of actor to compare with over the top beautification (or ugly!) descriptions from a book.  Tyrion and Brienne are meant to be repulsive and yet neither of them are in the show.  Cersei is meant to be drop dead amazing.  No offence to Lena, but she's not.  Dany is meant to be even more beautiful but Emilia Clarke is not.  Both women are attractive but neither are jaw on the floor the moment they walk into a room.

Emilia is as good as you can get. She's fine. Lena Heady is not, though.

4 hours ago, Ivan33 said:

Casting have been on point, with the exception of Rhaegar and the sand snakes. 

Euron looks legitimately related to Theon. And Lena well you'd never find someone that can do a Cersei like her. The acting has been flawless there. She doesn't even have to say anything to convey how she's feeling. 

I also agree with GeorgeIAF that Sandor Clegane's, Tormunds and Briennes casting is amazing as well as Robert's amongst others. 

On 8/28/2017 at 6:35 PM, Chrizelda said:

Rhaegar was just a Viserys look-alike? I'm a bit disappointed. I need to be convinced why Lyanna chose him in the first place. He really has to be a charming intense emo singer songwriter for me to be satisfied that Lyanna risked everything to be with him. In short, impress us next season- sing us the "Song of Ice and Fire" Rhaegar! And give us a whole load of prophecy while you're at it. Song-exposition instead of sexposition.

IKR! I always thought Rhaegar would be hotter. I think he was bigger and more handsome than Viserys. This look probably comes from Dany's vision in the House of Undying. She sees a man whom she mistakes for Viserys but turns out to be Rhaegar. But Dany only does that bc Viserys is prolly the only other silver haired man she knows. Not bc they look alike. 

11 hours ago, Anarres said:

I thought it was fine. The fact that he reminded me of his brother was actually a nice touch. The show tends to be sloppy with this (look no further than Arya and Sansa) but it worked out really well here.

Also, men not looking their most warrior-like masculine self at a wedding? Who'd have guessed!

Tbh I always considered Viserys hot in a way- him being a giant douchebag doesn't necessarily reflect in his looks, in the same way Joffrey looks pretty even though he's a monster. A lot of repulsion directed towards them comes from their good acting skills and perfect execution of mannerisms of a spoilt, twisted little psychopath. 

I never bought into the whole "Rhaegar is a Godlike Mary Sue" hype, a lot of his attraction probably came from having a pleasant, melancholic personality , playing a harp and having the whole Targ look- silver hair and purple eyes, as well as being a crown prince and an excellent jousters to a boot. He was certainly very attractive, but not necessarily godlike- the people waxing about him in the books are JonCon(closest friend/possibly crushing on him), Barristan Selmy (again, a close ally and an admirer of his skills and personality) and Cersei (at the time she was around him an impressionable twelve year old who thought he was her Prince Charming). Him looking like an older, taller Vicerys is perfectly plausible and realistic. Real actors are never going to be as perfect a match as the fandom imagines them (and that goes both ways, the physically repulsive characters in the books became fairly attractive in the show- Tyrion, Brienne, Jorah), that's what book illustrations are for. My favourite illustrations are by Elia Fernandez, but even she got some characters wrong in my opinion- but that's because everyone has their own image of a particular character.

Archived