That was Rhaegar?

I don't really see what the fuss is about.:blush:
Like, for example with Sansa, they made a point of subtly changing her appearance in accordance with who she looks up to. She did her her like Catelyn at the beginning, then went for the Cersei ear-to-ear roll and then styled it as Margaery did. I just thought they did the same with Viserys and Rhaegar - V. would remember him, and probably idolized him, so it would only be natural for him to style himself as Rhaegar. Plus most of the characters remember Rhaegar quite positively, so Viserys would want to be associated with that tradition. 

I don't think we can judge from a five second scene. But than again, I never imagined Rhaegar as Chris Hemsworth-like lumberjack of a guy, but way more soft-featured (but god, not legolas. the videos where he is casted by legolas just slay me). 

On 8/28/2017 at 9:00 AM, btfu806 said:

The budget didn't call for new wigs. They had to save money somewhere. No direwolves and the same Targ wigs.

They could have used one of Dany's. Maybe the one from Pentos where her hair is all loose and flowing.

I was actually more bothered by the Riverlands making a cameo as Dorne than I was by Rhaegar's lack of obvious hunkitude.

Add me to the Chris Hemsworth as Rhaegar camp. Have you ever seen the hair color ad with his face photoshopped into it? Priceless!

8 hours ago, Princess_of_Sunspear said:

possibly crushing on him

definitely crushing on him!

But yeah, I agree.

8 hours ago, Princess_of_Sunspear said:

My favourite illustrations are by Elia Fernandez, but even she got some characters wrong in my opinion- but that's because everyone has their own image of a particular character.

What, did she do two perfectly good illustrations and then GRRM set her aside for some Northern bint he met at a tourney con?

12 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

They could have used one of Dany's. Maybe the one from Pentos where her hair is all loose and flowing.

I was actually more bothered by the Riverlands making a cameo as Dorne than I was by Rhaegar's lack of obvious hunkitude.

Add me to the Chris Hemsworth as Rhaegar camp. Have you ever seen the hair color ad with his face photoshopped into it? Priceless!

Ha I have to go back and see that. I was so annoyed by the marriage I didn't even look in the background.

On 8/29/2017 at 3:30 AM, Chrizelda said:

You are absolutely right but I still can't help but be disappointed. Which, I think was somewhat the show's goal because we built this character up from hearsay only.

Yeah, the word I've been hearing for the last couple of days is that, in fact, they DID look a lot alike.

Someone produced quotes from the book on it.

It seemed REALLY odd at first, but I'm making peace with the idea, especially cuz it's canon.

Also, they did NOT use the same actor, so it's just a similarity, not like the are identical or anything.  I'm thinking that if Rhaegar is in more scenes in Season 8, we might start to be able to distinguish him from Viserys, especially if we have more than just a profile to work with.

On 8/28/2017 at 7:00 PM, Booknerd2 said:

That must have been some singing and harp-playing...

It was the shock that he appeared to look so much like Viserys that got me. Not what I ever envisioned nor expected. The power of the book series and imagination in my head. Hard to see his face while in profile and the same hair and clothes just took me aback. I think I just didn't expect it and I had a what the moment. Not the actor's fault. Recalling Viserys' whining and tantrums totally killed the effect for me. 

It was the same feel of the messed up hair and clothes the bedraggled Viserys rocked on his travels on the run with Deanerys. That's probably what did it. Or I expected a little black and red...then it occurred to me that if Rhaegar did that, well, that would be very dumb considering the situation they were in.

Now that the shock has subsided though, I thought that hey, it was a fast wedding, secretive, and on the run so how he looked would reflect that.

Until, I remembered that Lyanna dressed for the occasion, and her dress was not what I would envision either. Style wise. But it looks expensive too. I'm guessing it was borrowed or gifted. Doubt she ransacked her Winterfell closet before jetting and doubt she'd have something similar there to begin with anyway.

Not a big deal for me. This isn't the books.

Yeah, not quite Lyanna or Rhaegar for me, too. But so much is different on the show, what's this, too. Don't think it will play out this way. Like no Newhart moment. Hi, my name is Larry, this is my brother Aegon, and this is my other brother Aegon.

I was just as bothered by Lyanna tbh. I get that it's a wedding but they're meant to be on the run - why isn't she wearing some riding/more practical clothes? Even if you want her in a dress, that seems like a pretty poor dress for an important noblewoman and not something I can really see Lyanna in. They just don't seem to bother making the actress look the part.

I think Rhaegar suffers from the Euron disease - the showrunners seem more concerned with making the various family members look similar to existing actors than their description in the books. There's a logic to this but it seems to result in some characters lacking the sufficient gravitas.

this reminds me when TOJ scene happened, many people said Lyanna actress was not beautiful enough to play this famous woman who literally destoryed seven kingdoms. Then some people claimed that she can not be that beautiful after child birth and before dying, etc. 

Now we see a healthy and happy Lyanna in her costly wedding dress which is supposed to be the most beautiful moment in the life of a woman, anybody thinks she is beautiful enough to pass as Helen of Troy? 

Where is the unsurpassible loveliess? where is the wild beauty? where is the slender and athletic beauty who is called half-horse? Lyanna is the winter rose of north and none of flowers is more beautiful and precious than her. 

They should have hired a more beautiful woman, even Roslin is a better option. 

4 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

this reminds me when TOJ scene happened, many people said Lyanna actress was not beautiful enough to play this famous woman who literally destoryed seven kingdoms. Then some people claimed that she can not be that beautiful after child birth and before dying, etc. 

Now we see a healthy and happy Lyanna in her costly wedding dress which is supposed to be the most beautiful moment in the life of a woman, anybody thinks she is beautiful enough to pass as Helen of Troy? 

Where is the unsurpassible loveliess? where is the wild beauty? where is the slender and athletic beauty who is called half-horse? Lyanna is the winter rose of north and none of flowers is more beautiful and precious than her. 

They should have just recycled Fat Walda for the gig. A true northern beauty. 

3 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

I don't think the actress is an issue though I think they once agins cast for resemblance to Arya rather than specifically a northern looking beauty - if you look at her pictures you can see she's a beautiful woman. I'd say the fault is more with the direction and consuming - they haven't put in the effort to make her look the part. I'm not getting any wild beauty here, not even a hint of willfulness and fierceness. They haven't given her an actual personality in her scenes.

There's also the beautiful people on TV factor I think. Since every person who makes it onto the screen of a major TV show tends to be improbably beautiful - just consider book v show Tyrion or the fact that even Winterfell whores have perfect bodies - it is hard for any one actor or actress to stand out as in belongings in a different league. 

On 8/28/2017 at 0:55 PM, Obsidian Knight said:

Viserys was beautiful but evil and cowardly. Making Rhaegar look like him made the same associations with this character. I imagined Rhaegar much taller and fierce with long hair. And that Viserys's wig. Too bad... Jon is nothing like his father.

Yes, this.

I was fooled into thinking Rhaegar actor would be this guy; the hair's the perfect color and this one is quite easy on the eyes.

5 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

Where is the unsurpassible loveliess? where is the wild beauty? where is the slender and athletic beauty who is called half-horse?

The girl who kicked several asses at Harrenhall (3 squires plus – probably–  their knights)… :rolleyes:

This fragile tender Lyanna is a complete failure.

The young Lyanna we saw in Bran's vision of Winterfell's courtyard, with Ned and Benjen training under supervision of a young Roderick Cassel, was much more credible.

Archived