That was Rhaegar?

The books make a point of how each House has certain characteristic traits. Ned Stark, Lyanna, Arya, and Jon Snow are supposed to look alike. That's why Ned could pass Jon off as his bastard. Likewise, the Targaryen have some features unique to them, like siver hair and purple eyes. Rhaegar looking like Viserys makes perfect sense. 

Of course, the show doesn't usually hire actors who look alike and makes do with whigs. 

I think the casting was perfect. Because I never thought R+L was supposed to be this bigger than life romance or a true love. It was a teen girl crush on an older, married, exotic looking guy who seemed oh so mature and smarter. And he was a musician! He swept her off her feet and she gave him her virginity and then quickly got pregnant and died before she could realise what an selfish asshole Rheagar really is. So him looking as Viseris just underlines the point. 

Rhaegar is known to have looked like viserys in the books, taller and with hair like viserys. So the actor in the finale fit that look.

Having lyanna look like Arya makes perfect sense to me. And even in the books, I find it surprising that a girl lyanna's age could beat three knights in a tourney, despite her prowess in horse riding (if she is indeed the knight of the laughing tree). The actress in the finale looked fine to me.

16 hours ago, SerMudz said:

I don't how people were expecting Rhaegar to look? I too don't think they needed to give him the exact same look as Viserys but it did t bother me..I've never understood what all the hype is about with Rhaegar 

He was said to be super handsome.So people expected him to be super handsome.

I just expected nice hair at the minimum. Didn't even get that. And the costume looked like something off the rack of Spirit Halloween.

This fragile tender Lyanna is a complete failure.

I see why you could think that. I still liked her though. No, I don't buy her beating knights. Fantasy or not, I think maybe the knights let her win. That's my head canon at least. I could see how someone could fall for her despite her not being my type.

Lyanna was the only good thing of that scene.

28 minutes ago, MrJay said:

He was said to be super handsome.So people expected him to be super handsome.

I just expected nice hair at the minimum. Didn't even get that. And the costume looked like something off the rack of Spirit Halloween.

I see why you could think that. I still liked her though. No, I don't buy her beating knights. Fantasy or not, I think maybe the knights let her win. That's my head canon at least. I could see how someone could fall for her despite her not being my type.

Lyanna was the only good thing of that scene.

Best thing about that scene is that it means boatsex is next

On 8/28/2017 at 9:00 AM, btfu806 said:

The budget didn't call for new wigs. They had to save money somewhere.

They couldn't even afford continuity.

The show already established in the Sansa/Ramsay plotline that an annulment requires that the marriage was never consummated.

Since the show also already established that Rhaegar's two children died in the Sack, like the books, Rhaegar obviously consummated his marriage... and no annulment of his marriage to Elia was ever possible.  So the entire scene disappears in a puff of logic.

30 minutes ago, JNR said:

The show already established in the Sansa/Ramsay plotline that an annulment requires that the marriage was never consummated.

Since the show also already established that Rhaegar's two children died in the Sack, like the books, Rhaegar obviously consummated his marriage... and no annulment of his marriage to Elia was ever possible.  So the entire scene disappears in a puff of logic.

is there a reason the crown prince can't do as he pleases or convince the Septon to do what he wants? We saw who the High Septon was before the High sparrow. If he had been High septon during Rhaegar's time do we really think that guy would have told the crown prince no I won't annul your marriage?

this is a world of laws but its also a world where those laws are not really applied justly or evenly and the powerful almost always get what they want if not opposed by other poweful people. 

That is true even in our own time. If you go by Catholic rules, marriage annulements should be super hard to get and very rare. Yet i know some couples whose marriages were annuled not because the criteria was met but because they knew someone in the church hierarchy. 

9 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Rhaegar is known to have looked like viserys in the books, taller and with hair like viserys. So the actor in the finale fit that look.

Having lyanna look like Arya makes perfect sense to me. And even in the books, I find it surprising that a girl lyanna's age could beat three knights in a tourney, despite her prowess in horse riding (if she is indeed the knight of the laughing tree). The actress in the finale looked fine to me.

100% agree.

The fact that many people confused Rhaegar with Viserys is another parallel with the books, where Daenerys confused them in a dream. 

10 hours ago, jcmontea said:

is there a reason the crown prince can't do as he pleases or convince the Septon to do what he wants? We saw who the High Septon was before the High sparrow. If he had been High septon during Rhaegar's time do we really think that guy would have told the crown prince no I won't annul your marriage?

this is a world of laws but its also a world where those laws are not really applied justly or evenly and the powerful almost always get what they want if not opposed by other poweful people. 

That is true even in our own time. If you go by Catholic rules, marriage annulements should be super hard to get and very rare. Yet i know some couples whose marriages were annuled not because the criteria was met but because they knew someone in the church hierarchy. 

Henry VIII of England founded his own church because the pope wouldn't give him his annulment. So it really was hard to get back then, even for a king. Anyways, Rhaegar wasn't king. Maybe he could have an annulment if his father had agreed, but good luck with that. The Targaryens needed all the support they could get. They couldn't afford to have Dorne turn on them. So, he got a secret annulment instead. 

Of course, annulments tend to be really nasty, because they are usually retroactive. Which would mean Rhaegar and Elia were never legally married and their children bastards. 

5 minutes ago, Loge said:

Henry VIII of England founded his own church because the pope wouldn't give him his annulment. So it really was hard to get back then, even for a king. Anyways, Rhaegar wasn't king. Maybe he could have an annulment if his father had agreed, but good luck with that. The Targaryens needed all the support they could get. They couldn't afford to have Dorne turn on them. So, he got a secret annulment instead. 

Of course, annulments tend to be really nasty, because they are usually retroactive. Which would mean Rhaegar and Elia were never legally married and their children bastards. 

If the Pope had lived in the same city as Henry VIII he probably wouldn't have needed to start his own church. 

Is that def that the kids are bastards? If so Rhaegar is such a douche lol

19 hours ago, JNR said:

This is what bugged me.

This guy really screwed over Ellia on this one. Even if the rebellion never happened, her children are now bastards, and Dorne will not be happy with what happened. Rhaegar just made enemies of two of the seven kingdoms when all he had to do was marry them both. He would still have his three heads, his first son would still be heir, Rob and Ned's family wouldn't be too pleased, but they would get over it. Maybe not. Who knows. The point is that he did not have to get an annulment (something that has not been shown or said to happen at all in Westeros) when he could just marry them both (something that his family had done before). 

On 9/11/2017 at 9:08 AM, Loge said:

The Pope wasn't giving Henry VIII an annulment because the Pope  was a close family relative of the Queen.

Annulments normally don't illegitimize the children. Children resultant of an annulled marriage normally retain their legitimacy.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:11 PM, JNR said:

An annulment is only automatic/guaranteed if there's a lack of consummation.

Annulments can be granted for other reasons - historically, the big ones were infidelity, barrenness, and inability to sire heirs (usually meaning male children), but are not necessarily guaranteed.

Just because you have grounds for an annulment doesn't mean you can get one.

Besides, the show went for annulment because the polygamy (which would probably be what happened in the books) would confuse people.

29 minutes ago, Kytheros said:

Annulments normally don't illegitimize the children. Children resultant of an annulled marriage normally retain their legitimacy.

This may be the case nowadays, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't always like this. If it had been, Richard III hadn't been king. Well, not while his nephews were alive. It was a huge issue with Henry VIII's children, too. 

Everyone got down on the actress who played Lyanna when she appeared in the last episode of season 6, but I was thinking, how is she meant to look regal when she's just had a baby and dying??? Women look like shit after having a baby. I thought she looked the part.

I'm divided about the actor chosen for Rhaegar, Wilf Scolding. For better or for worse he has Visery's look which is good for continuity of appearances but it was confusing because we are led to believe Rhaegar was a maiden's wet fancy in the books. I had in mind someone that looks like the elf lord Thranduil.

Archived