Where was Gendry?

McAssey

2 hours ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

I think Arya and Gendry have mirrored quite a bit this season. Really highlighting why they got along. They are running on fury. They are both being harsh and blunt and honest. And of course D&D hit them both with the stupid stick

Yes, absolutely. They both cling to resentment. Twice over we get the "you sold me to a witch to be murdered" by him, in e5 and e6, right as Arya airs her resentment to Sansa over the letter. But they're not hiding or lying about who they are. Arya face blank tells Sansa about the faceless men and how she's a magical murderer, and Gendry isn't hiding he's Robert Baratheon's bastard son from Jon.

That "fermented crab thing"? There's one more character who sells aphrodisiac in a brothel - Arya in Braavos. And the fermented crab talk also included "holes in chainmail". Arya put holes in Meryn Trant in a brothel. And then we have Lady Crane telling her about the bad boyfriends who stank of a whore's perfume, how she would put holes in them and then stitch them up again: because she's a jealous woman. Gendry had half an experience with Mel, but that ended up with leeches, one on his penis, and Davos looked in every brothel and tavern and couldn't find Gendry, aka he's not going anywhere near a brothel or whores. Still better not winge about the Red Witch anymore, says Sandor adoptive father. Arya better not find out that Mel fooled him once.

Meanwhile that scene between Mel and Gendry has quite a lot of eyebrow raising lines. "To know the real thing you only need a tongue". In the scene it's used for the taste of wine (which she probably did lace with aphrodisiac), but that can be transferred to "a kiss". She says, "you only need eyes to see", but she's deceiving him and everyone else with her glamor, for in truth she's an old woman. Now Gendry's not the sole one deceived of course, but it's to him she says he needs eyes to see, while the eyes are unreliable. Anguy already telegraphed that when he was teaching Arya not to "hold" and "aim" with the bow, and of course Arya is the "blind girl" who only manages to beat the waif by not using her eyes. And Arya is one of the few persons who is least deceived by people in the show, often distrusting the people one should distrust and trusting those she can, even though they might appear not trustworthy at all. Mel also refers to the sexual act as "fighting the darkness and death", while Arya is almost death embodied and has a darkness in her. And then we have Tormund telling Gendry to keep from freezing in winter, you need to walk, fight and fuck, but fighting = fucking according to Mel, and swords have a double meaning. 

As for a lady... Arya is an unladylike m'lady. She may not be THE Lady of Winterfell, but she is A lady. She's a Stark and highborn and lives in a castle. And m'lady from Gendry's mouth = Arya being "his" lady. Lyanna was fierce and unladylike too, but still a lady nevertheless, and she was Rhaegar's lady.

21 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

As for a lady... Arya is an unladylike m'lady. She may not be THE Lady of Winterfell, but she is A lady. She's a Stark and highborn and lives in a castle. And m'lady from Gendry's mouth = Arya being "his" lady. Lyanna was fierce and unladylike too, but still a lady nevertheless, and she was Rhaegar's lady.

Yes, she even dresses as Lyanna Mormont or Lyanna, as a warrior Lady.

Also....she is "Arya Stark of Winterfell" and IIRC I think she is called a Lady this last season..(i could be wrong)

I liked that Brienne accepted her 'lady' title this season. Seeing women like Lyanna, Arya, Sansa and Catelyn she has stopped being ashamed of her gender. We've seen so many different types of ladies, it really doesn't stand up that Arya wouldn't be fit for it. If I had to complain in the end, the talk between Arya and Sansa somewhat reinforced Arya's inferiority complex. She still thinks she'll never be as good as Sansa and while Sansa is being nice I don't get the impression Arya sees herself as 'different but equal'. She's become something great but its still second best. In that way I can believe Sansa would think Arya wanted to be Lady of Winterfell. There is probably a part of her that does but a bigger part of her that thinks she's not good enough. 

This year it did feel like they touched on book Arya a little more. Superficially. We've got them bigging up her love of Jon but its one sided because he's too busy being incesty. Not sure that is good enough for the big pay off unless we see Jon's side ASAP. They've lightly touched on her desire to be as a good a Lady as Sansa and Cat but never feeling good enough. But they didn't show that it was the poor teaching of being a Lady that was to blame for that. Remember, Cat was raised like a son, she got an education she didn't give her daughters. They touched on it so lightly I still think show watchers don't get it, and just think Arya hates anything to do with Ladys. Its a flat interpretation. And of course Arya didn't even have one dialogue scene in the entire show with Cat which hurt that.

Anyway, another good comparison this season. Gendry sneaking up and just clobbering those guards like its nothing at all with Arya slicing up Littlefinger without a care in the world. Get it done.

48 minutes ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

I liked that Brienne accepted her 'lady' title this season. Seeing women like Lyanna, Arya, Sansa and Catelyn she has stopped being ashamed of her gender. We've seen so many different types of ladies, it really doesn't stand up that Arya wouldn't be fit for it. If I had to complain in the end, the talk between Arya and Sansa somewhat reinforced Arya's inferiority complex. She still thinks she'll never be as good as Sansa and while Sansa is being nice I don't get the impression Arya sees herself as 'different but equal'. She's become something great but its still second best. In that way I can believe Sansa would think Arya wanted to be Lady of Winterfell. There is probably a part of her that does but a bigger part of her that thinks she's not good enough. 

Yes, I think that now she is more comfortable with that title, since she knows she can be her own type of Lady and nobody will be opposed to that.

I don't know, probably she still has it, but she might also like the way she is now. Sansa really thought that she wanted it, or she was not sure of it because in an interview to Isaac HR, he said that there is a deleted scene in which Sansa goes to Bran's room to confirm what's happening (so maybe Sansa had her doubts, even after Arya gives her dagger to her-not saying she really believed she was in danger, but still, I don't know. The arc of Winterfell was a bit chaotic).

This year it did feel like they touched on book Arya a little more. Superficially. We've got them bigging up her love of Jon but its one sided because he's too busy being incesty. Not sure that is good enough for the big pay off unless we see Jon's side ASAP. They've lightly touched on her desire to be as a good a Lady as Sansa and Cat but never feeling good enough. But they didn't show that it was the poor teaching of being a Lady that was to blame for that. Remember, Cat was raised like a son, she got an education she didn't give her daughters. They touched on it so lightly I still think show watchers don't get it, and just think Arya hates anything to do with Ladys. Its a flat interpretation. And of course Arya didn't even have one dialogue scene in the entire show with Cat which hurt that.

Anyway, another good comparison this season. Gendry sneaking up and just clobbering those guards like its nothing at all with Arya slicing up Littlefinger without a care in the world. Get it done.

Yes, we got to see how she reacts when she knows that Jon is in Winterfell, she smiles when Sansa tells her that Jon's heart will stop when he sees her.....but, at the same time, Jon does not care much about Arya nor Bran:dunno: He says he wants to go North but then he is quickly convinced to go to the wight hunt....he could have stopped at Winterfell to see them, he was convinced very quickly to  not to go there.

That disappointed me.

And yes, both Gendry and Arya are good fighters when it is needed.

On 9/2/2017 at 0:33 PM, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

Yes, her wolf was Lady, Lady is also dead. So how far do you want to stretch that.

If I sound ridiculous its because Sansa fans are being ridiculous

It's ridiculous because Sansa is the character I always hated.. seeing that you call me a Sansa Fan makes you even more ridiculous... 

On 9/3/2017 at 2:39 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, we got to see how she reacts when she knows that Jon is in Winterfell, she smiles when Sansa tells her that Jon's heart will stop when he sees her.....but, at the same time, Jon does not care much about Arya nor Bran:dunno: He says he wants to go North but then he is quickly convinced to go to the wight hunt....he could have stopped at Winterfell to see them, he was convinced very quickly to  not to go there.

That disappointed me.

They are very uneven with the remembrances, often one character does more work than the other. But if you asked them, they'd think they showed that Arya is very important to Jon.

On 9/6/2017 at 1:48 PM, Le Cygne said:

They are very uneven with the remembrances, often one character does more work than the other. But if you asked them, they'd think they showed that Arya is very important to Jon.

Yes, I think that the letter scene was supposed to be important, but it was super disappointing

Archived