Is it confirmed that LF sent the assassin in Season 1? [spoilers]

In the big confrontation scene, the dagger and its owner is brought up and it's stated that it was LF's, not Tyrion's.

Does this mean that LF never lost the dagger to Robert? Or it means that LF sent the assassin to kill Bran in Season 1?

Thoughts?

It was Littlefinger, remember he started this whole thing by killing Jon Arryn and having the Lannisters suspected of it knowing that there had been tension between the two houses since the closing days of Robert's Rebellion.  What better way than to further sow that discord than to have it look like the Lannisters tried to have Bran killed (which they did anyway, but Littlefinger doesn't know Jamie pushed him from the tower) to keep him from talking.

3 minutes ago, DesertRose said:

But Littlefinger wasn't even there at Winterfell. Doesn't mean he couldn't have sent someone with the dagger, but I'm still a little confused about it.

The assassin arrives after Ned leaves WF. So I'm assuming the show is implying that LF hired him from KL?

He didn't need to be there.  He saw an opportunity to set the Starks against the Lannister/Barratheons and took it.  The show has been real hazy about it tbh, they haven't sold the idea well at all, but it was his dagger and he sent the assassin.  Despite what book readers say, the show has never even hinted at Joffrey being involved, and the main reason suggested for Joffreys involvement in the books doesn't occur in the show.  All roads have lead to Littlefinger as far as the show goes.

9 minutes ago, Padrino said:

This episode confirmed it was Littlefingers dagger and that he lied about losing it to Tyrion.  

This. 

Who actually sent the catspaw to kill Bran has not been revealed in the show.  

The sognificance was less about the dagger being used against Bran and more about the lies LF told about it that started the ball rolling that led to the deaths of their family. 

30 minutes ago, DirewolfDave said:

I'm fairly sure they are trying to tell us it was Littlefinger in the show, but it is almost certainly Joffrey in the books. Wasn't it confirmed Joff in the books? or just hinted. Can't remember.

Joffrey also ordered Ned's execution but we also know that who encouraged him in the first place. It's highly possible that LF gave the blade to Joffrey and encouraged him again.

3 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

In the big confrontation scene, the dagger and its owner is brought up and it's stated that it was LF's, not Tyrion's.

Does this mean that LF never lost the dagger to Robert?

Tyrion. He never lost the dagger to Tyrion, contrary to what he said.

3 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

Or it means that LF sent the assassin to kill Bran in Season 1?

It's not even suggested, let alone confirmed.

39 minutes ago, DirewolfDave said:

I'm fairly sure they are trying to tell us it was Littlefinger in the show, but it is almost certainly Joffrey in the books. Wasn't it confirmed Joff in the books? or just hinted. Can't remember.

I think "almost certainly" is as far as you can go.

Cersei, Tyrion, and Jaime all independently come to the conclusion that it must have been Joffrey, trying to get Robert's respect by proving that he can take bold action (after overhearing Robert say that Bran would be better off dead). And two of them, we see their PoVs at the time, and they're sincere in believing it to be Joffrey. And Cersei and Jaime surely know Joffrey better than anyone else. And it's set up that desperation for Robert's approval is one of Joffrey's central motivations. And Joffrey is one of the smallish number of people who could reasonably had access to the dagger, with most of the others ruled out (e.g., it can't be Cersei because she sincerely believes it was Joffrey, and she's not that crazy, at least not that early on). So, it's almost certainly Joffrey—more than just hinted, but not actually confirmed.

But anyway, none of that is in the show. None of the Lannisters discuss the possibility with each other, we don't get their internal monologues, and the show doesn't go that deeply into Joffrey's motivations. So, if D&D want to simplify things and make it LF instead, I'm pretty sure they aren't contradicting anything they'd established.

And it is a reasonable simplification. In the books, it's enough that LF is indirectly responsible for most of the causes of the Starks' misfortunes, but for the show to make sense to casual viewers, it makes sense to also make him directly responsible for at least one of them.

Yeah, this glossing over of the evidence Arya never presented for putting the assassination attempt on Bran at the hands of LF was a bone of contention for me. This was such a big plot point early on in the series and books, that I feel like it got short shrift. I'm guessing Bran confirmed this off camera with a vision. But that's just a guess.

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Yeah, this glossing over of the evidence Arya never presented for putting the assassination attempt on Bran at the hands of LF was a bone of contention for me. This was such a big plot point early on in the series and books, that I feel like it got short shrift. I'm guessing Bran confirmed this off camera with a vision. But that's just a guess.

IKR?  It's like the writers sloppy habits will from now on all be excused with "oh Bran saw it in a vision".

The show confirmed that LF lied about Tyrion owning the dagger, but if he was the one who sent the cats paw, why didn't bran just come out and say that Littlefinger trie to kill him and that it was his dagger?I thought it left that answer ambiguous. I'm still hoping a time traveling bran somehow orchestrated the murder attempt on purpose to ensure he'd become the three eyed raven.

So here is the thing. Bran only knows what he sees in his visions. So he has seen LF say the dagger belonged to him and he has seen LF deny knowing whose it was it to his face.

36 minutes ago, Tywinelle said:

IKR?  It's like the writers sloppy habits will from now on all be excused with "oh Bran saw it in a vision".

Oh put some effort into the show. Some of us don't need every detail served up on a platter with a bow on top. 

In the show?  Who knows.

In the books it was made pretty clear that the dagger belonged to Robert, Joffrey took it thinking it wouldn't be missed, and then hired the catspaw. LF had nothing to do with that, but saw a great opportunity to pin yet another crime on the Lannisters.

10 hours ago, falcotron said:

And it is a reasonable simplification. In the books, it's enough that LF is indirectly responsible for most of the causes of the Starks' misfortunes, but for the show to make sense to casual viewers, it makes sense to also make him directly responsible for at least one of them.

This. If all Littlefinger had done was conspire to set two great houses at each other's throats, that could well be enough in and of itself - though it would depend on a lot of things.

In this case, where the culprit is in the power of the house that came out (much) the worse for wear in the conflict (the Starks were, possibly still are, teetering on the brink of extinction), and where said house is currently run by the daughter of the man Littlefinger got killed, and who has suffered personally because of Littlefinger's machinations, it was definitely more than enough.

Littlefinger deserved death many times over. Add to that that he was just caught with his proverbial pants down trying to get one sister to kill the other - well, it was a sham trial, but a just verdict. I sat there like "just kill him already before the slimy bastard talks his way out of it!". Thankfully, Arya had had just enough of his sniveling ways, too.

Archived