Blue Flame of Viserion.

Khal Al

Perhaps the blue emission is a mechanism by which the ice structure of the wall is lowered to or very close to absolute zero (0 degrees Kelvin) which renders the ice so brittle that it collapses under its own weight, rather than melting as with fire. The Night's King somehow through the powers instilled at his creation utilizes the dragon as a means of directing the power.

Remember high school chem class? The Bunsen burner? The blue part was actually the HOTTEST part of the flame.The red part was the "weak" part. I think that's what it was trying to show. How ice can get SO cold it burns, but fire can't get so hot it freezes.

It's definitely cold. The dragon died. Froze. The Whole basis of the White Walkers is ice.

Everything is cold, everything is icy, everything is dead.

How the hell does the dragon then breathe HOTTER fire than ever before? That's just pure nonsense. 

It is cold. 

24 minutes ago, Lady Noble said:

Remember high school chem class? The Bunsen burner? The blue part was actually the HOTTEST part of the flame.The red part was the "weak" part. I think that's what it was trying to show. How ice can get SO cold it burns, but fire can't get so hot it freezes.

That's what I was going to say, although the show can probably get by with saying it's some magical blue fire ice, which doesn't exist in our world. 

2 hours ago, FireWinds said:

It's definitely cold. The dragon died. Froze. The Whole basis of the White Walkers is ice.

Everything is cold, everything is icy, everything is dead.

How the hell does the dragon then breathe HOTTER fire than ever before? That's just pure nonsense. 

It is cold. 

I'm with you, I really hope it is cold breath.
It's fantasy, but I still have a brain.

It's actually both at the same time. Hotter than normal dragonfire, and also nearly as cold as absolute zero.

Viserion is the song of ice and fire, not Jon.

He's also the PtwP. (Remember, the original Valyrian is not "prince", it's "dragon".)

He's also Lightbringer, and the Night King is AAR.

Some fantasy stories explain dragon fire with it being a chemical reaction (it's usually some pseudoscientific nonsense), others go with the simpler "it's magic". GoT hasn't even bothered trying to explain it, so really we have nothing at all to go on.

Thematically, it being extreme cold makes more sense than it being blue fire though.

Archived