Tyrion the peeping tom

Skills

On 2/26/2018 at 0:29 PM, Beardy the Wildling said:

He kind of fucked up the 'not taking risks' part by leading literally every ally she has that's Westerosi to their graves XD

That scene bothered me too but as I stated above I don't think it will come to much.  I could be wrong, of course, but I think it is a red herring...

On 26.2.2018 at 2:29 PM, Beardy the Wildling said:

He kind of fucked up the 'not taking risks' part by leading literally every ally she has that's Westerosi to their graves XD

:D It's been 5 months since my posts here. I'd need to rewatch the last season to get back on track...

• 4 months later...

Just going from memory, because now it has been a while, I always assumed the look was some kind of trick that D&D are playing on us, making us think that Tyrion is siding with Cersei/Lannisters and going to betray Jon and Dany (and who knows, maybe he is, but that seems pretty heavy handed insinuation). Kinda like the whole Arya and Sansa debacle of season 7. So I never read too much into it besides that.

I don't think that Tyrion has ever thought that he had a realistic shot with Dany but hey, a guy can dream can't he?  Also, Tyrion knows that Dany herself is the key to powerful alliances.  Dany's needs dovetail with Jon's, no additional bonds are needed.   I think Tyrion is looking beyond the war when Dany's hand in marriage will be very valuable.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

I don't think it was a jealousy thing. At least I hope it wasn't. Isn't it a bit tired to have every man who comes into her service fall madly in love with her? Are we really going to have Jorah, Daario, Jon and Tyrion all besotted with the Dragon Queen? It's as though everybody wants everybody to end up a secret Targ and everybody wants everybody to be in love with Daenerys.  

Like others have said, I think we're being misled to believe Tyrion has struck some nefarious bargain with Cersei and will betray Daenerys. It would be beyond stupid to promise Cersei that her child will take the Iron Throne after Daenerys - how could he know for sure that she would never carry a child of her own? It's a big risk and one that could start another war. That look wasn't born from that; Tyrion wouldn't ever have struck a deal like that if he thought there was even a possibility that she could get pregnant. And it isn't as though he thinks she's never going to have sex again. Is he going to lurk behind the door of every man she has sex with? I think the most obvious answer is that he's concerned about her better judgement and, despite himself, is feeling a little bit threatened.  He is a man who enjoys power and enjoys the game (it's the reason he didn't sail across the Narrow Sea and start a new life with Shae), he doesn't want to slip down the ranks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tyrion is mainly concerned about Jon being a threat to his position as advisor and as Hand. He knows how the game in the bedroom is played. See: blackmailing Lancel into playing it for him. Jon is gaining influence through this method, and will have far, far more sway over Dany than Tyrion ever could. This was also foreshadowed in the books when Quentyn was encouraged to give Dany a nice dickin' as a way to gain influence with her. This is foreshadowed in the show when Daario says that he's the only one who tells Dany the truth, because everyone else is afraid to do it. The person who makes it into Dany's bed is able to control her power and has her ear.

Archived