Could the show have worked using POVs??

Gaz0680

Do you think Game of Thrones could have worked if they had used proper point of views for characters and some internal monologues??? I dont mean constant voice overs by any means, but occassional ones that let you know what the key POVs are thinking and what motivates them.

Im not talking about using all the stupid plotlines D&D invented either..I mean if the show had originally been written in a way that supported internal monologues and was a more faithful adaptation (but still cutting ultimately unnecessary characters and plotlines), could it have worked and still been successful???

On one hand, we'd never get scenes between non-POV characters like we got in the show, for example:

-Varys/LF in throne room

-Tywin/Oberyn in brothel

-Robb/Talisa in bed chambers

-Tywin/Olenna

-Missandei/Grey Worm

We would still get some conversations between non-POV characters, but only where a POV one is also present to hear it.

On the other hand, we could get much more information about what is driving key characters and a better understanding of them as a person, as well as what they really think of others. This could also give us more insight into non-POV characters.

I think us seeing the way events play out from a particular character's perspective could have been really interesting on-screen too. For certain big events, you could even jump between two perspectives (eg the Red Wedding - you could have Catelyn's perspective inside the hall and Arya's on the outside and for the aftermath; Blackwater you could have Tyrions on one side and Ser Davos' on the other, etc).

I think that both the book and show will conclude revealing the whole story was being told by Samwell Tarly.  The show foreshadows that with the scene between Archmaester Ebrose, who is writing the book about the War of the 5 Kings, and Sam.  Ebrose advises the book will be called "The Chronicles of the Wars Following the Death of King Robert I".  Sam makes the comment that he would title it something more poetic.  Kind of like "A Song of ice and Fire"?  The title introduction to the show appears to be that of someone looking at a map, using the same magnifying goggles as seen being used by the master who greeted Sam upon his arrival at the Citadel.  The astrolabe in the Citadel's library also appears in the title scene.  This leads me to believe Sam is telling the tale of the Song if Ice and Fire. So for the show at least, I think POV would not have been ideal for TV.  The story coming from a central source makes more sense...

I really don't think this would work at all on screen.

What about when you get two characters who do PoVs in the same scene. It would be weird to have them thinking stuff about each other that we could hear.

Mind you, the Jon-Jorah-Dany shall we take the boat together exchange with internal thoughts would be hilarious.

Archived