Why was Tyrion so upset?

The Bastard Dayne

Why did he look like he was about to hurl when he was watching Jon go into Dany's room and then just stare at the door like a jilted stalker during boatsex? 

After all, he was the one who wanted Darrio gone so that Dany could marry for political reasons. Wouldn't the King of the North make a fine candidate for that?

OR could our little imp be lusting after his Queen? And what are the ramifications of that? Might DnD's noble Ser Tyrion be headed toward a jealous betrayal arc?

Discuss

George Martin with Tyrion's quote "I drink and know things" have made a lot of fans believe Tyrion is a smart and nice guy. When in fact it's the opposite. Martin has portrayed Tyrion make a stupid thing after another, just for his own shake, but because he insists that he is clever and wants the good of the people, fans of GoT believe him and root for him.

The guy was outplayed by Shae. She was playing him like a puppet. And when he found out he strangled her. (imagine the riot if another male character has strangled a woman, but because it's Tyrion it's okay). Then he murdered his father.

He sent Myrcella to Dorne while Cersei was insisting it was the wrong move. Because she is way smarter than Tyrion. And Myrcella was murdered.

He didn't win the battle of BlackWater. Tywin with the Tyrells did. He is simply continue to say about this battle to take credit.

His decisions led to the massacre of House Tyrell and the death of the Martells women. His advices lost the entire Greyjoy navy.

He was outsmarted again from Cersei (she probably wanted Tyrion to find out she is pregnant). And he is so dumb to believe that Cersei will honour the deal to sent Lannisters on the Wall, while she brings mercenaries from Essos.

She will probably betray Daenerys too, and he will say that he did it "for the good of the realm" and nonsense like that.

Even Jaime got bored with him in their secret meeting when Tyrion started to cry and say "it was not my fault".

But because the quote "I drink and know things" people still believe this guy is smart. When objectively he is one of the most stupid character of the series.

Prior to the season premiere, Peter Dinklage claimed that Tyrion was in love with Daenerys: http://elitedaily.com/entertainment/tyrion-lannister-loves-daenerys-targaryen/2012101/

They seem to be scaling back on Jorah's unrequited love for Dany, so if we take Peter for his word, Tyrion is now the new lord of the Friendzone. 

2 hours ago, The Bastard Dayne said:

Why did he look like he was about to hurl when he was watching Jon go into Dany's room and then just stare at the door like a jilted stalker during boatsex? 

After all, he was the one who wanted Darrio gone so that Dany could marry for political reasons. Wouldn't the King of the North make a fine candidate for that?

OR could our little imp be lusting after his Queen? And what are the ramifications of that? Might DnD's noble Ser Tyrion be headed toward a jealous betrayal arc?

Discuss

I was going to post about this very thing this morning because I actually wondered the same thing.  He definitely had a look of angst on his face.  I actually have given it great thought and I think I may have it.  The show hasn't talked too much about the details of Dany's vision while in the House of the Undying.  Specifically, the 3 treasons she will know.  One for blood, one for gold, and one for love.  I think the treason for blood was when she allowed Khal Drogo to kill Viseryn.  The treason for gold was obviously when Jorah was spying on her for the Lannisters.  The last treason, I think, will be from Tyrion.  A couple things to consider here.  First off, Tyrion was the one who convinced Dany to exile Jorah when it was found he had been relaying information back to KL.  Tyrion was also the one who convinced Dany to have Daario stay in Mereen, as opposed to traveling to KL.  He made it a point to tell Dany that marrying for political reasons in Westeros was important.  Perhaps he was secretly going to try to convince her down the road that marrying a Lannister would bolster her reputation in Westeros by removing a tyrant Cersei while combining 2 of the most famous houses realm has known. 

Think back to the scene where Tyrion was talking to Dany in the table room at Dragonstone after Jon left to go north of the Wall to capture the wight.  Didn't Tyrion seem a bit underwhelmed when talking to Dany about how it was obvious Jon loved her, and how it seemed she was forming feelings of her own for him.  He wasn't enthused in the least.  That's the same conversation where he pushes her to name a successor, in the event she died. Then, think about when he pleaded with her not to go north to save them after getting the raven that they needed her help.  All of these acts could be viewed as Tyrion pushing her to make decisions that would appear to have the best of intentions.  but from another angle, it would seem that all of these acts could be done out of either him secretly loving Dany, or, more likely to me, wanting to sit on the Iron Throne.  Tyrion has always seemed like he had a good heart.  I believe he does myself.  But that's not to say that he doesn't feel like he would be the best person to rule Westeros.  Especially after he saw her burn the Tarley's alive, and her wanting to initially burn KL as well.  We see Tyrion having that conversation with Varys, another who wants only the best for the realm and the people.  Two of the smartest minds in this game of thrones, who believe themselves champions of the realm, having private chats of their own, away from everyone else.  These are 2 brilliant schemers.  I can definitely see Tyrion being salty that Jon and Dany are in love with one another.  It is putting a major damper on the play he was going to push for to become Dany's partner, if not sole ruler of Westeros.  He questions decisions that they both are making, believing he knows better than they do about what is best for Westeros.  I think we may see Tyrion trying to jump back into the role of being a major player after spending much of this last season on the bench.  Coach, he's ready to get back in the game...

Just a theory of mine.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Sanrast said:

*** Martin has portrayed Tyrion make a stupid thing after another, just for his own shake, but because he insists that he is clever and wants the good of the people, fans of GoT believe him and root for him. ***

Let's differentiate the books from the show here. Martin portrays Tyrion as brilliant. He has most of the best lines, talks his way out of death time after time after time, and did a great job as Hand even though Cersei was working against him at every turn.

But for some reason the show-runners--ever since the show passed the books--have indeed pretty much made Tyrion the smartypants who is always wrong. If Tyrion thinks one thing and Missandei or Grey Worm think something else (not to mention Daenerys), then you can take it to the bank: Tyrion is wrong and they are right. 

Tyrion and Daenerys are my 2 favorite characters in the books, but they are both really screwed up in the show. Show Daenerys has lost all her humanity, and show Tyrion has lost all his smarts.

The Imp is upset because Dany did not come to him for BoatSex. That means that she does not appreciate him. Wait for it, the show runners will now try and find a way to punish Dany for not embracing the magic Dwarf Cock! I know, they will launch the Dany marriage strike and have Dany marry the NK, like they had Sansa marry Ramsay. She will honor the Imp before the NK abuses her on their Wedding night etc.

It could happen.

36 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

The Imp is upset because Dany did not come to him for BoatSex. That means that she does not appreciate him. Wait for it, the show runners will now try and find a way to punish Dany for not embracing the magic Dwarf Cock! I know, they will launch the Dany marriage strike and have Dany marry the NK, like they had Sansa marry Ramsay. She will honor the Imp before the NK abuses her on their Wedding night etc.

It could happen.

But she will look beautiful

6 hours ago, Jaehaerys Stark said:

I was going to post about this very thing this morning because I actually wondered the same thing.  He definitely had a look of angst on his face.  I actually have given it great thought and I think I may have it.  The show hasn't talked too much about the details of Dany's vision while in the House of the Undying.  Specifically, the 3 treasons she will know.  One for blood, one for gold, and one for love.  I think the treason for blood was when she allowed Khal Drogo to kill Viseryn.  The treason for gold was obviously when Jorah was spying on her for the Lannisters.  The last treason, I think, will be from Tyrion.  A couple things to consider here.  First off, Tyrion was the one who convinced Dany to exile Jorah when it was found he had been relaying information back to KL.  Tyrion was also the one who convinced Dany to have Daario stay in Mereen, as opposed to traveling to KL.  He made it a point to tell Dany that marrying for political reasons in Westeros was important.  Perhaps he was secretly going to try to convince her down the road that marrying a Lannister would bolster her reputation in Westeros by removing a tyrant Cersei while combining 2 of the most famous houses realm has known. 

Think back to the scene where Tyrion was talking to Dany in the table room at Dragonstone after Jon left to go north of the Wall to capture the wight.  Didn't Tyrion seem a bit underwhelmed when talking to Dany about how it was obvious Jon loved her, and how it seemed she was forming feelings of her own for him.  He wasn't enthused in the least.  That's the same conversation where he pushes her to name a successor, in the event she died. Then, think about when he pleaded with her not to go north to save them after getting the raven that they needed her help.  All of these acts could be viewed as Tyrion pushing her to make decisions that would appear to have the best of intentions.  but from another angle, it would seem that all of these acts could be done out of either him secretly loving Dany, or, more likely to me, wanting to sit on the Iron Throne.  Tyrion has always seemed like he had a good heart.  I believe he does myself.  But that's not to say that he doesn't feel like he would be the best person to rule Westeros.  Especially after he saw her burn the Tarley's alive, and her wanting to initially burn KL as well.  We see Tyrion having that conversation with Varys, another who wants only the best for the realm and the people.  Two of the smartest minds in this game of thrones, who believe themselves champions of the realm, having private chats of their own, away from everyone else.  These are 2 brilliant schemers.  I can definitely see Tyrion being salty that Jon and Dany are in love with one another.  It is putting a major damper on the play he was going to push for to become Dany's partner, if not sole ruler of Westeros.  He questions decisions that they both are making, believing he knows better than they do about what is best for Westeros.  I think we may see Tyrion trying to jump back into the role of being a major player after spending much of this last season on the bench.  Coach, he's ready to get back in the game...

Just a theory of mine.  Thoughts?

Yeah, I've been thinking something similar. For all the silly talk of there being no political machinations left there will still be plenty of room next season for last minute twists and betrayals.

The missing end of the Tyrion-Cersei conversation must mean something. Did he promise her something in return for her help that he may or may not intend to give? Ok, he isn't going to do it so that Cersei can keep the throne, but it could easily be something that also helps himself ether directly or indirectly in the Game. He may indeed be back to being a real player.

We were definitely led to believe in several scenes this season that Tyrion has doubts about what Dany could mean for Westeros. He may have decided that after all is said and done that he is in fact the best Westeros could hope for. Now he realises that it's not just Dany that he would have to betray but Jon as well, who he has nothing but respect for.

I could see Tyrion teaming up with Varys in secret maybe. But, if true, it will be gut wrenching to watch however it plays out. It would mean Tyrion going through Jorah (and Missandei and Greyworm) to get to them too. That Hand of the Queen scene was so moving, I don't want him to betray Dany, but I do think it is a real possibility.

10 hours ago, The Bastard Dayne said:

could our little imp be lusting after his Queen?

Oh come on Tyrion, be realistic.

My generous interpretation is that he is dismayed that there is a war going on and king and queen should focus on strategizing and not on banging. OK, this union actually would be far from disastrous, but still mixing love and lust with politic is usually a bad thing in Westeros.

/edit

Although they might be substituting it for the original Tyrion-Arya-Jon triangle plot.

5 hours ago, Daske said:

Yeah, I've been thinking something similar. For all the silly talk of there being no political machinations left there will still be plenty of room next season for last minute twists and betrayals.

The missing end of the Tyrion-Cersei conversation must mean something. Did he promise her something in return for her help that he may or may not intend to give? Ok, he isn't going to do it so that Cersei can keep the throne, but it could easily be something that also helps himself ether directly or indirectly in the Game. He may indeed be back to being a real player.

We were definitely led to believe in several scenes this season that Tyrion has doubts about what Dany could mean for Westeros. He may have decided that after all is said and done that he is in fact the best Westeros could hope for. Now he realises that it's not just Dany that he would have to betray but Jon as well, who he has nothing but respect for.

I could see Tyrion teaming up with Varys in secret maybe. But, if true, it will be gut wrenching to watch however it plays out. It would mean Tyrion going through Jorah (and Missandei and Greyworm) to get to them too. That Hand of the Queen scene was so moving, I don't want him to betray Dany, but I do think it is a real possibility.

I read a theory online that suggested Tyrion cut a deal with Ceresi, after realising she was pregnant. In return for her agreeing to the truce, and sending her armies north to help in the battle against the dead, Tyrion will ensure that her child is named as Dany's heir. Given Tyrion's love for his neice and nephew, and his concern over the succession, it wouldn't be an entirely out of charecter thing to do. Jon hooking up with Dany threatens this plan, as even leaving aside R+L=J, and the possiblilty of Dany getting pregnant, it would still give Jon a claim on the throne, about as strong as Ceresi's own claim.

11 hours ago, Kaguya said:

Tyrion being in love is so dumb and a rehashed Jorah plot line. 

Remember the original union of the Dragon's three heads: Aegon with both Visenya and Rhaenys, his own close kin.

Martin is echoing that original here inverted by gender, so now it’s Danaerys with both Jon and Tyrion, unbeknownst to any of them as of yet, their own close kin.

There is also poetic irony in Tyrion being in love with his (half-)sister Dany, considering what happened with Jaime and Cersei. It’s something that runs in his family — both of them, in fact.

Martin really likes all these interlocking mirrorings. You’ll see.

8 minutes ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I read a theory online that suggested Tyrion cut a deal with Ceresi, after realising she was pregnant. In return for her agreeing to the truce, and sending her armies north to help in the battle against the dead, Tyrion will ensure that her child is named as Dany's heir. Given Tyrion's love for his neice and nephew, and his concern over the succession, it wouldn't be an entirely out of charecter thing to do. Jon hooking up with Dany threatens this plan, as even leaving aside R+L=J, and the possiblilty of Dany getting pregnant, it would still give Jon a claim on the throne, about as strong as Ceresi's own claim.

That's actually a pretty good theory. I could certainly see it playing out that way.

1 hour ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

I like this theory. The only thing is that for some weird reason everyone totally ignores the idea of political marriage. In Dany/Jon case it would be the most obvious thing to do.

Archived