Night King appreciation thread

Camara

Well, he certainly looks the part, but that's not a lot, really. He doesn't speak and doesn't have anything much to distinguish him from a Terminator or a non-speaking big bad demon in Buffy. There's no character to speak of and if it stays that way I hope he doesn't get much of the precious screen time remaining. Zombies aren't interesting.

15 minutes ago, LastManStanding said:

Hopefully he will talk. I will be surprised if he doesn't. He MUST have a plan, hence why he has let people live or get across to the other side before making them wights, for example. I'm thinking he was created to create defend Westeros from destruction and that is still his goal - destroy those who threaten Westeros, but that doesn't mean everyone. He will kill who he thinks is bad/causing destruction and will leave people behind to try and make a better world. If they fail, he will return. That is just my thought. 

He's the doomsday machine. I can't remember the name of the starship in Star Trek the blew up to stop it. His core is a magical piece of obsidian. How to knock it out? He's fully armoured can defend him self, probably impervious to dragon fire. Maybe they need a COF to whisper some spell. A spell Bran can go spy on in the past?

1 hour ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

I think it would work if they explained who that man was that had Dragonglass put in his chest and was converted.  What if it was Garth Greenhand?  Use the first men's King and change him into a monster whose only mission is to kill everything living, didn't Garth have some magical powers too?  What if his powers carried over, like Viscerion's did but modified.  

1 hour ago, Tucu said:

If you read The World of Ice and Fire, you will find that the CoTF/greenseer magic is probably rooted in blood magic/sacrifices. Each of the big magical events required the sacrifice of a lot of them (or their enemies).

Even The Wall is said by Ygrette to be "made o' blood".

I never read TWOIAF (and refuse to read anything Martin writes that isn't "The Winds of Winter"), but I have checked out the wiki and understand some of the history.  I think most of the stories from the age of heroes are bullshit - for example, there have been plenty of real world blood sacrifices for things like having a good harvest of which most people do not believe they actually impacted the harvest.  The thing is, if blood sacrifices worked, why wouldn't they make sacrifices to instill great power in themselves, rather than creating an intermediary?  As it were, it definitely would make more sense for the WWs to be created from an already magical being, though I still think that's kind of a lame origin story.  Just my opinion.

16 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I never read TWOIAF (and refuse to read anything Martin writes that isn't "The Winds of Winter"), but I have checked out the wiki and understand some of the history.  I think most of the stories from the age of heroes are bullshit - for example, there have been plenty of real world blood sacrifices for things like having a good harvest of which most people do not believe they actually impacted the harvest.  The thing is, if blood sacrifices worked, why wouldn't they make sacrifices to instill great power in themselves, rather than creating an intermediary?  As it were, it definitely would make more sense for the WWs to be created from an already magical being, though I still think that's kind of a lame origin story.  Just my opinion.

Not sure if you have read the Arianne chapters in TWOW; if you have

Spoiler

the CoTF faces in the cave are probably evidence of the sacrifices for the Hammer of the Waters. The method was too costly and the CoTF probably had to design another weapon.

1 minute ago, of man and wolf said:

Is it me or did the white walkers look scarier in the first three seasons? That opening scene in season 1 made me think this was gonna be horrorific.

White walker are suppose to be far superior to humans in combat. Yet they always easily get wrecked by Jon

13 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

Is it me or did the white walkers look scarier in the first three seasons? That opening scene in season 1 made me think this was gonna be horrorific.

We've seen too much of them. Even the best CGI can't make up for human imagination, which is why the scariest horror stories tend to barely show the monster at all. 

Especially since the heroes survive every encounter with the WW.

21 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

What would you deem an acceptable explanation?  

2 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

What would you deem an acceptable explanation?  

No explanation at all.  Where did the COTF or the First Men come from?  Did God create them?  The gathering of random elements after a big bang event, followed by millions of years of evolution?  Saying the Others have always been here in the Lands of Always Winter is just a lot more interesting to me.  It makes their motives and history more mysterious and less single-minded.

2 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

No explanation at all.  Where did the COTF or the First Men come from?  Did God create them?  The gathering of random elements after a big bang event, followed by millions of years of evolution?  Saying the Others have always been here in the Lands of Always Winter is just a lot more interesting to me.  It makes their motives and history more mysterious and less single-minded.

So you don't want to know their origin or who the NK actually was, I misinterpreted your original post.  

Does anybody else think the TV Night King looks creepily similar to the original (or previous) three eyed raven? That, along with the final image of the wights marching towards the wall resembling a Direwolf could add fire to the Bran/3ER is the night king theory? 

There's certainly more to come in his origin story I believe... 

I love the NK! When WOW is finally published I can't WAIT for Bran's chapters... He'll have the most flashbacks and inside into the NK. If we're lucky (IF!) we'll get a NK POV, :).

I think he's more than a COTF experiment gone bad, personally.

If he does talk, I have a feeling he'll reveal Jon's name. That'd be cool.

9 hours ago, Ser Knight Somerville said:

Children of the Forest.  Legend has it that the COTF created with magic the "Others" a/k/a White Walkers including the Night's King to help repel the First Men who were beginning to occupy their land.

In the show, it's not just legend; we saw a flashback of Leaf creating the Night King, and we know he created the rest of the White Walkers.

In the books, there is no Night King, or anyone like him. There is completely different character called Night's King, but the CotF definitely didn't create him—he was the 13th Lord Commander of the Watch, who married a "corpse queen", set up the Wall as his personal Kingdom, committed atrocities including human sacrifices, and was allegedly trying to bring the Others back.

8 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

But what is that? Having the biggest army of the undead? He's got to have agenda. Personally I still feel he serves a faction of the children of the forrest. Otherwise the others are just a MacGuffin and that would suck.

In the show, there is no other faction of the Children. Leaf is 8000+ years old, and she knows that she and her handful of colleagues in the cave are the only Children left, and we saw them all die, killed by the Walkers. And besides, Leaf is the one who created him; why would he now be serving some different faction?

In the books, there may be another faction of the Children, but again, there's no Night King to be serving them.

Meanwhile, why would serving an unknown faction with unknown motives be any more satisfying than having unknown motives himself? Sure, the show could reveal that faction's motives, but they could just as easily reveal the NK's motives, so what does that extra level of complexity add?

The Night King's facial expressions rival Emilia Clarke's. That guy can convey incredibly complex emotions just by raising an eyebrow. Wait ... does he even have eyebrows?

He's obviously a much more likeable and humble character than Dany. Imagine if every time he arrived, a wight would have to list his 1001 titles.

Archived