Book readers: Which events from S7 will happen in the books? [spoilers]

So season 7 is over and we are well past the books. My question is which events from season 7, if any, will happen in the books in your opinion? Let's just theorize wildly! :)

My theories:

- LF trying to pit Sansa against one of her siblings (my guess is Rickon though, not Arya) which will be the boundary she won't want to cross and which will make her get rid of him, eventually passing the sentence herself. On the other hand, I think that she will set up a real trap for him and not relying on what Bran does or doesn't say. I've always imagined LF dying at Wintefell, so that too.

- Rhaegar and Lyanna were really married

- one of dragons somehow dying in such a way that the NK will rise it.

- NK, WW and wights breaching the Wall

- Cersei's pregnancy - not completely sure about this but it seemed to me like such an improbable plottwist that I'm inclined to say that it comes from GRRM

- Euron making alliance with Cersei

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

- Rhaegar and Lyanna were really married

- one of dragons somehow dying in such a way that the NK will rise it.

- NK, WW and wights breaching the Wall

- Euron making alliance with Cersei

I am inclined to say "none of it" because (1) there will never be another book and (2) Season 7 was pretty awful, but I like the ones you have above.  I think the Others will kill a dragon at some point, but we won't get the NK riding it (in part because there is no NK).  I also believe Aegon and/or Euron will claim a dragon, a dragon which Daenerys will have to kill with drogon thus fulfilling the desire for a dragon versus dragon battle.

I'll add the following:

• When Daenerys gets to Westeros she will land in an almost uninhabited Dragonstone (not sure if Loras and his skeleton crew will still be around).
  • Samwell will leave Oldtown before forging his chain, but not before he steals some books.
  • Randyll and Dickon Tarly will die, leaving Samwell free to claim Horn Hill.
  • Jaime leaves Cersei (oh wait that already happened a long time ago)
  • Sansa orders Littlefinger's execution (but in a way so different than in the show that it won't be recognizable)
  • Jon and Daenerys have sex
  • Edric Storm and Gendry both appear again
  • The Tyrell family will join the Reynes and Tarbecks in the history books

I think Sansa will get rid of littlefinger (book 7) because the North - Jon Snow needs the Vale forces and Little finger will be working to keep them out of it. If Jon is declared King in the North in the books. It would be interesting if there is a further fracturing of loyalties in the North. Rickon declared King by the Manderlys by right of blood. Jon declared King by right of battle.

My theories:

- LF trying to pit Sansa against one of her siblings (my guess is Rickon though, not Arya) which will be the boundary she won't want to cross and which will make her get rid of him, eventually passing the sentence herself. On the other hand, I think that she will set up a real trap for him and not relying on what Bran does or doesn't say. I've always imagined LF dying at Wintefell, so that too.

Littlefinger has to die because of Sansa in the books, I would feel cheated if it happened any other way.

I'm afraid I don't see Bran leaving his man cave beyond the wall to make it to Winterfell though, I reckon he is there for the long haul and will only show up right at the end if at all. It would be too easy and convenient to have a character that knows everything that has and will ever happen at Winterfell and I feel the show has struggled with this. The show brought him back to Winterfell to reveal the Jon's parents bombshell whereas the books have Howland Reed.

I would put a lot of money on the wall coming down in the books.

13 hours ago, greensleeves said:

I believe Littlefinger dying in Winterfell because of Sansa is the fulfillment of the "savage giant" prophecy.  It will happen in the books.

Yeah, I think so.

14 hours ago, Mad Madam Mim said:

Littlefinger has to die because of Sansa in the books, I would feel cheated if it happened any other way.

I'm afraid I don't see Bran leaving his man cave beyond the wall to make it to Winterfell though, I reckon he is there for the long haul and will only show up right at the end if at all. It would be too easy and convenient to have a character that knows everything that has and will ever happen at Winterfell and I feel the show has struggled with this. The show brought him back to Winterfell to reveal the Jon's parents bombshell whereas the books have Howland Reed.

I would put a lot of money on the wall coming down in the books.

Me too, Sansa has to be the one causing LF's downfall. I'm pretty sure it will be like this in the books and I was pleasantly surprised that it was like this even in the show.

I honestly don't know what to think about Bran, I don't know where his story can continue. Sure, he will gain access to all the past events like in the show probably but what then? As you say, it's too easy for team Stark to have him around, on the other hand he probably can't really influence anything if he stays in the cave (which I think he will).

15 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

• When Daenerys gets to Westeros she will land in an almost uninhabited Dragonstone (not sure if Loras and his skeleton crew will still be around).
  • Samwell will leave Oldtown before forging his chain, but not before he steals some books.
  • Randyll and Dickon Tarly will die, leaving Samwell free to claim Horn Hill.
  • Jaime leaves Cersei (oh wait that already happened a long time ago)
  • Sansa orders Littlefinger's execution (but in a way so different than in the show that it won't be recognizable)
  • Jon and Daenerys have sex
  • Edric Storm and Gendry both appear again
  • The Tyrell family will join the Reynes and Tarbecks in the history books

I agree with Daenerys landing at Dragonstone and Samwell leaving the Citadel before coming a maester.

Tyrells being extinct in the books is an interesting idea, although I'm not sure about it considering that Margaery and Loras have two additional brothers in the books. Hard to predict anything though.

Gendry already reappeared in the books in AFFC in the second to last Brienne's chapter. Which surely doesn't mean that he won't appear again! I agree about Edric. Either him or Gendry will imo continue the Baratheon line.

Basically nothing of the above. There will be a Dany-Jon love story, of course, but that's most likely going to be remarkably different, too.

Aside from that we'll also get Euron-Cersei in the books, but that's also going to be much different.

Littlefinger will die, of course, but not in this easy way after such a ridiculous badly written fake plot. We don't even know why he tried to put Sansa against Arya in the show. What was the point? What did he try to gain there?

The books have Catelyn. Chances are that Littlefinger will at one point be end up in her grasp. She is the one he truly wronged, not Sansa or Arya.

9 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Gendry already reappeared in the books in AFFC in the second to last Brienne's chapter. Which surely doesn't mean that he won't appear again! I agree about Edric. Either him or Gendry will imo continue the Baratheon line.

I have a pet theory that the BWB will somehow find out about Gendry´s parentage and name him king, and that at some point some other lords will join them.

16 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

If Jon is declared King in the North in the books. It would be interesting if there is a further fracturing of loyalties in the North. Rickon declared King by the Manderlys by right of blood. Jon declared King by right of battle.

I can't wait for this scene but I think it'll be more Jon through the Grand Northern conspiracy and Rickon simply being a backup in case Jon dies.  

But other events:

-The North will actually remember and how the Boltons are destroyed will be interesting

-Hopefully we see more of the North after affects from the Red Wedding fallout (how the Houses were actually aligned, House Karstark/Thenn marriage, etc.)

- The "whatever color of the day" wedding at the Twins and preferably a pack of wolves coming into play

- BwB actually doing what they do, kill Freys, as opposed to disappearing and then reappearing with only 3 members

16 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

I also believe Aegon and/or Euron will claim a dragon, a dragon which Daenerys will have to kill with drogon thus fulfilling the desire for a dragon versus dragon battle.

Don't know if this exactly but would be interesting to see, a dragon v dragon battle that is.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Basically nothing of the above. There will be a Dany-Jon love story, of course, but that's most likely going to be remarkably different, too.

Aside from that we'll also get Euron-Cersei in the books, but that's also going to be much different.

Littlefinger will die, of course, but not in this easy way after such a ridiculous badly written fake plot. We don't even know why he tried to put Sansa against Arya in the show. What was the point? What did he try to gain there?

The books have Catelyn. Chances are that Littlefinger will at one point be end up in her grasp. She is the one he truly wronged, not Sansa or Arya.

Well, there are some hints in the books that Sansa will kill Littlefinger, for example the prophecy that Arya gets from the Ghost of High Heart. So it is not that farfetched.

Speaking of badly written plots, I think nothing can top Lady Stoneheart. Controverse topic I know.

I honestly don't know what to think about Bran, I don't know where his story can continue. Sure, he will gain access to all the past events like in the show probably but what then? As you say, it's too easy for team Stark to have him around, on the other hand he probably can't really influence anything if he stays in the cave (which I think he will).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but book Bran can only see events that occurred by a weirwood tree so who knows what he will end up knowing andnot knowing.

But events I think will happen:

- The WW destroy the wall, thus disbanding the Nights watch. Really hoping this happens in a better way then "let's make a dumb plan to give them a dragon for the only reason that it is the only way they can breach the wall". But that leads me to my next point.

- I'm a believer of the Ice Dragon in the wall so I think that will be for the WW and it will kill one of Dany's dragons.

- LF dying by Sansa's hand

- Even though it was last season Jon killing Ramsy

- Tarly fighting Dany, but on the side of Aegon not Cersei

- Arya meeting up with Nymeria, but having it be a much more impactful scene.

I've got a few theories (don't we all haha)

-Boltons will still be crushed but by rushing their forces into the over-fished lake chasing Stannis

-Mel will bring back Jon but by burning Shireen 

-The wall will come down, but when Euron or someone else blows the Horn of Winter

-There's gonna be an ice dragon in that wall when it comes down

-Arya will get back to Westeros, run into the BWB and kill some Freys with/for LSH

-Arya will be tasked with killing LSH when she realizes that LSH is too far gone (GRRM loves shit like that)

-Littlefinger will definitely die because of Sansa

-R+L=J finally confirmed, maybe by Howland Reed or Bran way later on

-Jon's real name (Aemon probably)

-Roose Bolton dies, but not by Ramsay's hand

-Jon, Dany, Tyrion all link up (not exactly sure how many chapters it will take GRRM to make it seem plausible though)

-I think Cersei will blow up the Sept of Baelor with Wildfire just like in the show

-Dany will also burn all the Khals just like in the show

33 minutes ago, LokisRaider said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but book Bran can only see events that occurred by a weirwood tree so who knows what he will end up knowing andnot knowing.

That is only partially true - for now. Brynden Rivers told Bran that he may be able to see beyond the trees and without being in a Weirwoodtree or touching a Weirwoodtree. It all depends of the powers of a Greenseer. It is of course highly likely for that to happen. 

20 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

That is only partially true - for now. Brynden Rivers told Bran that he may be able to see beyond the trees and without being in a Weirwoodtree or touching a Weirwoodtree. It all depends of the powers of a Greenseer. It is of course highly likely for that to happen. 

Thanks for the clarification, its been awhile since I've read the books.

Why would Cersei and Euron get together in the books? Euron is sailing for Daenerys... And although I highly doubt Dany will marry him, she might keep him around for a while, like Cersei does in the show? I mean, letting him turn away wouldn't be very smart, with her needing boats and all that. What am I missing?

Good thread, but I want to go back to something from the previous season (6) that I think we be much different from how it plays in the show:

Jon's resurrection.  I don't believe it will be a simple "Last Kiss" from Melisandre that revives him.  Honestly, it seemed anticlimactic on the show and also as GRRM has pointed out, those resurrected by the Last Kiss are no longer really alive - they are essentially wights animated by fire instead of ice.  He says w/r/t Beric "His memories are fading, he’s got all these scars, he’s becoming more and more physically hideous, because he’s not a living human being anymore. His heart isn’t beating, his blood isn’t flowing in his veins, he’s a wight, but a wight animated by fire instead of by ice..."  The same is presumably true for Catelyn.  

I don't think this is Jon's fate - I think he is going to have a "true resurrection" event that brings him fully back as a living man with blood pumping, etc.  Book Jon's resurrection will play out more like a one time "magical event" akin to the birth of Dany's dragons.  Before the episode of the show aired, my gut feeling was they were going to burn Jon's body (so it would't become a wight), and he was going to rise from the flames, fully alive again (this would also give it a nice Dany / Dragon Birth parallel).

Other book predictions w/r/t show events in 6 & 7:

-Jon and Dany are definitely getting together.  (And as per my theory above, I think Jon has to be a fully living man to consummate this relationship...someone without a beating heart or blood running through them would encounter...difficulties...in that regard)

-Stannis defeats the Boltons, not Jon.  Don't have a guess as to who specifically gets Roose and Ramsey though

-I think there will be an ice dragon but it won't be one of Dany's 3 (the dragon has 3 heads - 3 ppl will ride Drogon, Viserion, and Rheagal)

-Related to IceDragon: The Wall will come down, but it will be the Horn of Winter, not Ice Dragon.  The BEST theory I have heard on this posits that 1) the Wall was originally constructed with a sacrifice of live dragons and 2) the Horn of Winter is a Dragon Binder horn that will cause the beast(s) to rise from their imprisonment in the Wall, thus shattering it and binding them to the White Walker's will.

-No CleganeBowl (show is clearly going there, and I don't think George ties that one up so tidily

-Cersei probably will use the wildfire in KL similar to in the show

-Agree that Jon's real name is not Aegon.  I still like Jaehearys.

-Littlefinger will be brought down by Sansa, almost certainly not in the same way though

-Shireen's burning will happen but have a much more believable context

-Cersei / Euron alliance: I don;t see this happening in the books

-Rheagar and Lyanna, married: I dunno...probably?

-Rickon will NOT die, he will eventually be Lord of Winterfell, with Sansa as the true power (at least during his minority)

-I don't think Jon will ever be named King in the North.  

-Myrcella dies, but not at the hands of the Sand Snakes.  

-I don't think Arya gets the Freys, but they are doomed.

Archived