Arya vs Nightking?

Could the show be setting Arya up to be the one killing the Nightking?
We saw Arya defeat Brienne with ease multiple times. Brienne on her part, defeated the Hound (recognised as one of the best fighters of Westeros). So clearly Arya is now an awesome fighter, with massive kill-skills.

She also has the Valyrian dagger that once belonged to LF. I'm pretty sure that Arya will not be standing by while the Westerosi army will fight the AOTD, she will want to participate. Somehow, a little voice inside me is saying that this would be a nice ending for the NK. Not being killed by Jon or a dragon, but by Arya.

Honestly, I kind of hope that it's not Jon who saves the day... it would almost justify Rhaegar's awfulness if Jon is some kind of mystical savior.

I'm all for it being one of the Stark kids... It would be like a funhouse mirror version of what Rhaegar expected: there are two princesses and a prince, but they're Starks because the North declared independence.

Of the Stark kids, Arya's the obvious choice for winning a physical battle though Bran has more history with the Night King.

So yeah, I would love that. But this is all wild what-ifs not based on much.

What I saw was Brienne refusing to seriously fight Arya, because she didn't want to hurt her. Brienne is only seriously sparring with her from the kick onward. At that point, she and Arya draw. I'm not sold on Arya being able to beat Brienne, the Hound, Bronn, or Tormund in a straight up fight.

What makes Arya more dangerous than all of them is her ability to change faces and her knowledge of poisons. However, the Night King isn't letting anything human get close to him, so I think her ability to change faces is useless here. I'm also not sure if the poisons that kill humans will have any effect on the Night King. Arya could do it, but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, greensleeves said:

Honestly, I kind of hope that it's not Jon who saves the day... it would almost justify Rhaegar's awfulness if Jon is some kind of mystical savior.

I'm all for it being one of the Stark kids... It would be like a funhouse mirror version of what Rhaegar expected: there are two princesses and a prince, but they're Starks because the North declared independence.

Of the Stark kids, Arya's the obvious choice for winning a physical battle though Bran has more history with the Night King.

So yeah, I would love that. But this is all wild what-ifs not based on much.

I'd actually like Melisandre to do it. People have speculated throughout the show that she has some great role to play against the White Walkers. Thoros and Beric aren't capable of taking out the Night King, so I don't know that being a red priest is especially helpful.

But aside from killing Renly and raising Jon from the dead, Melisandre has been useless. I'd like to think she has more use than just propping Jon up in the show. She's 400 years old, has shadowbinder powers, and red priest powers, so there should be something she can do to battle the Night King.

9 minutes ago, Lorathi said:

What I saw was Brienne refusing to seriously fight Arya, because she didn't want to hurt her. Brienne is only seriously sparring with her from the kick onward. At that point, she and Arya draw. I'm not sold on Arya being able to beat Brienne, the Hound, Bronn, or Tormund in a straight up fight.

What makes Arya more dangerous than all of them is her ability to change faces and her knowledge of poisons. However, the Night King isn't letting anything human get close to him, so I think her ability to change faces is useless here. I'm also not sure if the poisons that kill humans will have any effect on the Night King. Arya could do it, but I doubt it.

This is so fan-fictiony and ridiculous, which means it might happen, but it would be kind of cool if Arya face-changed into a White Walker to get close to the NK, then kill him with LF's dagger.  

8 minutes ago, Dragonslack said:

Ridiculous, the waif ridiculed her. Physically she is just a little girl. Poison and faces will not help against the nk.

I agree. I never 'bought' the story of her being a great warrior, going toe to toe with Brianne, the Hound, etc... It's absolutely ridiculous as you say. Maybe in anime genre, but not here.

She is just a girl, agile but lacks strenght and sword practice. Let her be assassin, working in the shadows but please... No open combat, especially against some of the most powerful beings in that universe.

41 minutes ago, Lorathi said:

Agreed.  Brienne was more caught by surprise and underestimated Ayra more so than being an inferior fighter.  First off, she doesn't want to hurt her so she's not taking it as seriously.  Secondly, she had no way of knowing Ayra had developed fighting skills of any kind.  Notice how in the show when the blades clashed the thick valyrian steel sword couldn't budge the razor thin needle??  That's less realistic than Gendry running a winter marathon lol.  Needles are for insertion, not deflection...

Brienne, the Hound, they'd all waste Ayra one on one, just like Ser Aurthur Dayne and Ser Jamie Lannister (in his prime) would waste Jaqen H'ghar.  Faceless men skill sets are based on stealth, and sneak attacks, not direct attacks.

Night King should be killed by Bran of all people, i.e if he is not the NK (I am skeptical about this tbh). If he is killed by emo baby or dragon diva, I would lose my shit. Maybe arya could come a second close. If they are still into defying tropes, please go with Bran

6 hours ago, IceIceBaby said:

Night King should be killed by Bran of all people, i.e if he is not the NK (I am skeptical about this tbh). If he is killed by emo baby or dragon diva, I would lose my shit. Maybe arya could come a second close. If they are still into defying tropes, please go with Bran

I think it has to be Bran, the NK isn't going to be defeated in a physical battle.  It will be a battle of three eyed raven type magic where Bran discovers his only weakness.  Whether he actually delivers the kill is anyone's guess, but I truly believe he is the key to beating the NK.

I am not one those people buying into Bran being the NK though

4 minutes ago, House Rootbreaker said:

I think it has to be Bran, the NK isn't going to be defeated in a physical battle.  It will be a battle of three eyed raven type magic where Bran discovers his only weakness.  Whether he actually delivers the kill is anyone's guess, but I truly believe he is the key to beating the NK.

I am not one those people buying into Bran being the NK though

I can totally see the show having Bran tap in to some hidden 3 eyed raven magical power to defeat the NK the moment the plot requires him to. Buuut with that kind of awfulness in mind i can't see them passing up the chance of a Jon and NK showdown to end the war. It's going to feel so lame when Jon slices that mother and all the subordinates instantly drop dead, so lame.

7 hours ago, House Rootbreaker said:

Agreed.  Brienne was more caught by surprise and underestimated Ayra more so than being an inferior fighter.  First off, she doesn't want to hurt her so she's not taking it as seriously.  Secondly, she had no way of knowing Ayra had developed fighting skills of any kind.  Notice how in the show when the blades clashed the thick valyrian steel sword couldn't budge the razor thin needle??  That's less realistic than Gendry running a winter marathon lol.  Needles are for insertion, not deflection...

Brienne, the Hound, they'd all waste Ayra one on one, just like Ser Aurthur Dayne and Ser Jamie Lannister (in his prime) would waste Jaqen H'ghar.  Faceless men skill sets are based on stealth, and sneak attacks, not direct attacks.

Well, I don't know about Jaqen. From what we've seen, the Braavosi have a very effective fighting style. Syrio Forel wiped out those Lannister soldiers with a practice sword, the water dancer in Mereen's fighting pits is the only person we've seen beat Ser Jorah (I think?), and Arya's fighting skill is very solid after training with Syrio and the Waif.

I'm thinking that Jaqen has some Akuma level skills. But we'll probably never find out. Out of all the great fighters that we get hyped to see in GOT, we don't get to see most of them fight very often. We saw Oberyn once, 2 handed Jaime once, prime Arthur Dayne once, and Ser Barristan once (when he was old). And we see Areo Hotah go out like a low level Bond henchman to the Sand Snakes. So I'm thinking that we won't get to see Jaqen in action.

15 hours ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

Could the show be setting Arya up to be the one killing the Nightking?
We saw Arya defeat Brienne with ease multiple times. Brienne on her part, defeated the Hound (recognised as one of the best fighters of Westeros). So clearly Arya is now an awesome fighter, with massive kill-skills.

She also has the Valyrian dagger that once belonged to LF. I'm pretty sure that Arya will not be standing by while the Westerosi army will fight the AOTD, she will want to participate. Somehow, a little voice inside me is saying that this would be a nice ending for the NK. Not being killed by Jon or a dragon, but by Arya.

When Ariya defeated Briene with ease, Briene was toying with her. The only time she may of tried is when they tied. Ariya has a few years of training is assassinating people. She shouldnt be able to beat any but the weakest knights in combat. The hound in not one of the best fighters and would of always been wrecked with ease by people like two handed Jamie or Ser Author Dayne. Beyond that the NK can see the future, has mystical power. I really doubt assassinationtatics would work on him. Espically since he is just going to go around killing evreyone

In the show I'm feeling like it is increasingly likely that Jon kills the Night King or it's Jaime with a big assist from Jon.  I don't see Arya being involved with the main fighting, I think Jon would have Arya serve to protect someone (like maybe Sansa or Daenerys).

11 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

while I'm not sure I'm ready to fully get behind this theory, I really like it :)

Well, that's exactly why I posted it. I'm absolutely not sure about this theory, but it has a nice ring to it.
And let's face it, it's better then Jon killing the NK with his sword (he already killed WW's with it), or Dany having the NK eaten by a dragon.

11 hours ago, IceIceBaby said:

Would Bran being the one to kill the NK really be much better than Jon or Dany? They all seem like Chosen Ones to me.

If the writers want to do something mildly unexpected, they'll have an ordinary soldier kill him. Or better yet. If they really want to defy expectations, they'll have the NK win before returning to some form of hibernation, with the bittersweet ending being the reemergence of the children of the forest.

Archived