Football - City Bid the Wrong Type of Sterling

Philokles

The end result of everything will be as follows.

1. Sanchez stays, is unhappy and disrupts the locker room further, only to leave for free next season to City

2. Arsenal look like fucking idiots after another disastrous transfer window

3. We get some injured player back like Wilshere and claim it's like a new signing and then give him a 140k a week contract to match up with Walcott because we "don't want to lose him"

4. Arsenal finishes 6th because they still haven't addressed their biggest issue

5. Arsenal re-signs Ozil, who no one wants, to an insane contact, yet again fucking with their wage scale

6. Arsenal makes no signings next year because they have no money since they failed to make CL for a 2nd season in a row and they're incompetent (or Kroenke is borrowing money to pay for his $1B stadium)

7. Arsenal extends Wenger as they claim there is no one better out there for the team

I've never seen Lemar play so I've got no idea how good he is or if he's worth £92 million, in fairness though if Oxlade-Chamberlain's worth £35 million and Sanchez £55 million with a year left on their contracts who even knows anymore?

Anyway, apparently Arsenal had a £92 million bid accepted by Monaco and then decided to pull out of the deal because there's not enough time left. Er, ok? It's not like they've wanted him all summer or anything. If that's true it's amazing.:lol:

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I've never seen Lemar play so I've got no idea how good he is or if he's worth £92 million, in fairness though if Oxlade-Chamberlain's worth £35 million and Sanchez £55 million with a year left on their contracts who even knows anymore?

Anyway, apparently Arsenal had a £92 million bid accepted by Monaco and then decided to pull out of the deal because there's not enough time left. Er, ok? It's not like they've wanted him all summer or anything. If that's true it's amazing.:lol:

It's all bullshit. It's "hey look, we tried but it just didn't work out" that happens every deadline day for legitimate targets. Now rumors are Arsenal are blaming City for leaving Sanchez too late. It's stupid. Reality is, they fucked up, again.

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's all bullshit. It's "hey look, we tried but it just didn't work out" that happens every deadline day for legitimate targets. Now rumors are Arsenal are blaming City for leaving Sanchez too late. It's stupid. Reality is, they fucked up, again.

In fairness Lemar would probably take some convincing to join Arsenal in their current state and he's playing for France in a couple of hours so they might actually not have time to persuade him to sign for them.

It's the fact that they're only realising now that they might want to sell unsettled players with a year left on their contracts. If they'd done it a couple of months ago they would have had plenty of time to negotiate for replacements and, as an added bonus, they wouldn't have had to try and persuade Lemar to join them 4 days after losing 4-0 in embarrassing fashion to his other suitors.

I'd really like to know if during all those press conferences when Wenger told the media how certain he was that Ox and Sanchez would be staying at Arsenal whether he actually believed what he was saying or not. The Arsenal fans are just constantly being lied to by Wenger and Gazidis etc. 

Now, it is looking like Lemar prefers the idea of a move to Liverpool. Given how much he is likely to cost and the fact they just signed Ox, it hardly seems worth it for them to go in for him.

I don't get why Klopp hasn't had a plan B laid out in case they don't get VVD. It is looking less and less likely that he will be allowed to leave Southampton and Liverpool will go into the season with the same defence as last year, with the addition of Robertson.

They have started the season really well and have made some great attacking signings. It would be a massive shame to Liverpool fans if all that early promise was ruined because they put all their eggs in VVD's basket and they ended up having the same defensive problems as last season.

11 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

PSG have signed Mbappe

looks like it is a loan with an obligation to pay a fortune next summer to avoid FFP

Mohamed Bouhafsi reported several days ago that the fee will be around €180-190m inclusive of add-ons.

Looks like Alexis to Man City is going to fall through due to Arsenal not landing a replacement.

That is an absolute shambles on Arsenal's board's behalf. They will miss out on £60m for a player that doesn't want to play for them anymore, and who will leave on a free next year. And with the World Cup next summer, if Arsenal aren't fighting for a title, he will ease up in the last few months of the season to avoid injury, knowing there is no point in exerting himself for a club that he is going to leave. 

They may think they have the last laugh if they do end up keeping him but, really, the joke is on them and their ineptitude at running a football club.

47 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I'd really like to know if during all those press conferences when Wenger told the media how certain he was that Ox and Sanchez would be staying at Arsenal whether he actually believed what he was saying or not. The Arsenal fans are just constantly being lied to by Wenger and Gazidis etc. 

From what I heard, Wenger is a pretty optimistic person. So his reasoning might have been something like that, we'll have a better start into the new season, which will improve the overall locker room moral, and the whole thing develops different dynamics, with his stars being more willing to stay with CL football in the offing again. And he was probably fairly convinced that he wouldn't get players of a similar quality without CL football. Ok, things didn't quite work out that way. Now he has a poor start into the season, a presumably super toxic locker room, and half his squad having a bigger desire to get the hell out of dodge than before. One might argue, that (if that's what actually happened) Wenger's optimism was rather dysfunctional.

54 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I don't get why Klopp hasn't had a plan B laid out in case they don't get VVD. It is looking less and less likely that he will be allowed to leave Southampton and Liverpool will go into the season with the same defence as last year, with the addition of Robertson.

Mixture of optimism on the one hand, that he gets his player, and that the team the as a whole will do better defending this season. And tbf the verdict is still out on this. They have two clean sheets out of their three EPL encounters. And on the other hand only wanting to sign players that actually improve on what he has, and rather offering his academy players a few games than signing for the bench.

Now it is being reported that City's deal for Evans may be dead as well. They were willing to meet WBAs £30m valuation but it was contingent on Mangala leaving, which he doesn't seem interested in doing. Looks like everything has just fizzled out, except for PSG who are playing in God mode.

And where the fuck is Mahrez?

As ever deadline day has a bunch of exaggerated hype that can't be fulfilled and ultimately leaves the fans unhappy almost everywhere.  Liverpool future-bought Keita, retained Coutinho, sold Sakho for close to their target fee, bought AOC with those proceeds plus a bit, loaned out Origi who fell below Solanke in the pecking order, and decided against any compromise candidate for CB.  Overall that's pretty good business in the last two days but fans are left disappointed that we haven't closed miracle deals for Lemar (Monaco said they wouldn't sell yet another key player after losing Mbappe, Silva, Mendy and Bakayoko already*) or VVD (who Southampton have said for months is not available for sale). 

Just like any Liverpool fan, I'm concerned that we haven't added a CB or a DM.  We look crazily top heavy on attacking players from FBs through MF to forwards. So once again we'll be entertaining without being realistic contenders.  But I can't condone all the usual tantrums when the manufactured hype isn't fulfilled.   If we had already signed VVD and Lemar, then the hype would have been that we were pursuing Messi and Neuer too.  

*WTF are Monaco thinking?

Arsenal did really well to add Lacazette this summer but that's just overwhelmed by how poorly they've (mis)managed their want-aways.  

35 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

*WTF are Monaco thinking?

To be fair they've signed a lot of good players too. It's not as if they've just let their squad be dismantled. Time will tell how it clicks, but they're not sitting idly watching everyone leave.

Anyway, from what I've seen most Liverpool fans aren't throwing tantrums over manufactured hype over VVD in particular, they're pissed off because there seemed to be absolutely no plan B if you didn't get him and you really really need a CB. To an extent Lemar too but most people seem unsure of why you really needed him so there doesn't seem to be as much frustration there.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

So if Matip gets hurt Liverpool have Lovren/Klavan/Gomez as CB options. Yikes. Even with all options fully fit it's weak as fuck. Would've been a good window with a CB in. 

Well, I tried to sell you Jagielka..

Looks like Chelsea is going down to the wire for Mahrez and Drinkwater. Not sure if either is a starter for us but adds excellent depth.  Llorente hurts, as I'd prefer to see Michy go elsewhere. Could care less about Ox. Looks like we got a guy that excels at RWB and wants to play the position; he's also cheaper.

Archived